Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    I disagree. I quite enjoy this pack and I know others who do as well.
    I've never run across anyone I've played with who has said they enjoyed it, but as others have said, people prefer different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    I agree that Druids Deep can be hard but I consider High Road to be a light jaunt.
    Whereas I find it the opposite. Druid's Deep is almost a cakewalk, and High Road is hard. But that could just be swayed by how annoying I find Detour. The rest of the pack isn't bad, but Detour really drags the whole group down.

Quote Originally Posted by MacRighteous View Post
    EllisDee37: I didn't intend for it to happen this way but you're right, you essentially have all the same character I have because each one of my builds are based off yours - lol When I started each new toon, I done tons of reading up on builds and it just coincidentally happened that each time I picked one of your builds to play... I didn't notice this until my last character; Necro-cleric and you gave me some advice on some gear for her on another post. So again, thanks for that and good work dude. I've had so much fun with the paladin and cleric that I'm thinking of trying your warpriest... It seems to need to be included in this little family of mine (yours - ours - whatever) seriously : Thanks.
    Did you get raider's boxes for all your alts? If so, I heartily recommend grabbing sireth for your paladin. I did with mine, and then TRed into a 15/5 pally/rogue, and good lord he's ridiculously fun to play now.

None of my other alts much care about the raider's boxes, but man my pally loves his basic-version sireth. No upgrades required.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzor View Post
    Whereas I find it the opposite. Druid's Deep is almost a cakewalk, and High Road is hard. But that could just be swayed by how annoying I find Detour. The rest of the pack isn't bad, but Detour really drags the whole group down.
    I can see "annoying," but "hard" might be the last word I'd use to describe Detour.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Fair enough.
    I guess I was answering the question "best pack to get" not "best solo play pack to get"

So ok, I concede, someone new to 15-20 levels playing solo will probably be toast in "Devils" at higher difficulty.

+1 or correcting me.
    Actually Vale on lower difficulties isn't that bad except for sleeping dust and rainbow on certain builds (THF builds give up a lot to solo either for example). The OP is both premium and first life, so likely is used to running normal and hard to even be able to open elite. In which case, outside of favor, there is no real need to run elite. The drops are the same, or close enough, and the difference in xp is marginal with BB out of the equation. To be honest, Running with the Devils on normal is one of the easier solo quests in the game for it's level IMO.

Community Member RapkintheRanger's Avatar

Yeah - but which ones?
    Vale of Twilight is very playable and the Raid still runs regularly. It is beautiful, the quests are all right, and the raid will let you craft some nice gear. Wilderness area is nice too.

Shadowfell: I really like the stormhorns and really dislike wheloon but it has the advantage that it can get you some good gear, a fair amount of content and *** is also Epic, so if u want to run in those levels it can be played there too. This plus Menace of the underdark are nice for the epic levles.

The High Road/Druids Deep together are nice, play at both heroic and epic.... but neither has enough content on its own.

You could also try a VIP subscription for a short period of time to find out which u like the best.

Community Member

I am unsure what my goals are once I hit 20 - I guess I want to try a little of everything - TR a character or two, do epics with another and continue to cap on another,
    If you don't have Epic Destinies yet, plan to get them.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RapkintheRanger View Post
    Vale of Twilight is very playable and the Raid still runs regularly. It is beautiful, the quests are all right, and the raid will let you craft some nice gear. Wilderness area is nice too.
    Shroud is also the only raid that can reliably get a positive response from an LFM that says something like "Never done Shroud before - want to pull my piking butt through this?"
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

I don't think a lot of these people read that he only solos. So right there the two most commented on packs are not good choices.

Necro4 is a terrible idea if you solo. Two of the 4 quests, Ghosts of Perdition and Fleshmakers will not be able to be completed solo. Inferno is a nightmare quests if you don't know how to do it. Vol is pretty hard now on anything but normal with the way traps hit if you are playing solo. Just not a solo friendly pack at all.

VAle....if you aren't going to run Shroud there isn't much point in getting vale either. Many classes will struggle in those quests solo. Vale is a very much a 2009 pack obsolete in many ways.

Gianthold and Shadow fell are your best bests. Almost all quests are solo friendly, some solid explorer areas and lots of named loot. Shadow fell gives you monster loot for ML16 just by completing the quests, at least in the wheloon prison. Both packs also have lots of named items. I'd play around with these two packs and see how you like them. Those along with the Lords of Dust chain will take you to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    I don't think a lot of these people read that he only solos. So right there the two most commented on packs are not good choices.

Necro4 is a terrible idea if you solo. Two of the 4 quests, Ghosts of Perdition and Fleshmakers will not be able to be completed solo. Inferno is a nightmare quests if you don't know how to do it. Vol is pretty hard now on anything but normal with the way traps hit if you are playing solo. Just not a solo friendly pack at all.

VAle....if you aren't going to run Shroud there isn't much point in getting vale either. Many classes will struggle in those quests solo. Vale is a very much a 2009 pack obsolete in many ways.

Gianthold and Shadow fell are your best bests. Almost all quests are solo friendly, some solid explorer areas and lots of named loot. Shadow fell gives you monster loot for ML16 just by completing the quests, at least in the wheloon prison. Both packs also have lots of named items. I'd play around with these two packs and see how you like them. Those along with the Lords of Dust chain will take you to 20.
    Necro4 -

Fleshmakers final section with lighting the 5 runes will be a challenge, the OP mentioned they Multi-boxed with 2 other accounts. This leaves a potential of three spots for Hirelings. Careful use / Placement of hirelings and a bit of luck you can solo this. I've done it with a hireling and Pet, it did take me a little to do it, but finally got it timed. For me the trick was getting at least 2 of the switches pulled by hire+pet

GoP has only one section where the two brothers need to be killed together. If you take the time to clear the trash there is a spot just passed the first brother where you can fight both brothers together and thus bring them down. I understand it is also possible if you can get both brothers in the center of the top room as the Vertical distance will keep the lower brother from rubberbanding (seen this done once before)

Vol - retrieve keys with traps will be more difficult for some builds, but there is some timing and paths that can be used to minimize the damage.

Inferno is seen as difficult but in actuality it is very soloable even for characters that don't have spells to light/put out torches - Use of the Respawning Mephits or the casters who fire off these spells can help.

Litany of the Dead is still one of the best XP/min at its level and very soloable

For all of these I recommend doing a Normal Run to get the timing down before going with Elite

--------------------------------
    Vale Quests - Shroud is not the only place Shards come in. While Tier 3 may be difficult to do without running shroud, Devils Assault does have a chance to drop the Shards of Power Crystals as well as ingredients. Also if willing the DDO store as well as the auction house(s) can be a source of ingredients as well as trade channels. Some of these ingredients are also used in Cannieth Crafting.
    Last edited by Enoach; 07-03-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post

While I agree that Gianthold and Shadowfell are good choices, I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion about Necro4. I did read that he solos and made my recommendation of Necro 4 (as well as Shadowfell) as a fellow soloer. I have soloed Ghosts of Perdition; it takes a little maneuvering but the challenge is part of the fun. Is Inferno difficult, sure, but why play a game with no challenge? Traps in Vol will hit you hard regardless of whether you solo or group if no one can evade or disable them. He may not be able to do some of the quests on the first life, but on subsequent lives with some practice, he will. Plus the wilderness area is great. I spend way more time in Orchard than I do in Gianthold every life. Finally if cost is a concern for him (and it sounds like it is) Necro 4 is waaaay cheaper than Shadowfell and is in line to be epic'd if he wants future end game content.

As a soloer, I consider Inferno of the Damned an excellent quest, on par with The Pit and The Crucible. (I look forward to soloing all three each life.) Temple of Vol is fine; just another run of the mill solo-friendly quest.

By contrast, I cringe at the thought of soloing Ghosts of Perdition. I have soloed it, and probably will again, but I don't enjoy it at all. Fleshmakers I won't set foot in solo, multibox or not.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by smkalinowski View Post
    While I agree that Gianthold and Shadowfell are good choices, I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion about Necro4. I did read that he solos and made my recommendation of Necro 4 (as well as Shadowfell) as a fellow soloer. I have soloed Ghosts of Perdition; it takes a little maneuvering but the challenge is part of the fun. Is Inferno difficult, sure, but why play a game with no challenge? Traps in Vol will hit you hard regardless of whether you solo or group if no one can evade or disable them. He may not be able to do some of the quests on the first life, but on subsequent lives with some practice, he will. Plus the wilderness area is great. I spend way more time in Orchard than I do in Gianthold every life. Finally if cost is a concern for him (and it sounds like it is) Necro 4 is waaaay cheaper than Shadowfell and is in line to be epic'd if he wants future end game content.
    GH and SF are epic now. Since the OP doesn't have a character over L15 I doubt he will be soloing Fleshmakers or Ghosts any time soon both of which have an extremely high degree of difficulty (for solo play) and worse both are annoying mechanics that will be very frustrating. It is as you say much cheaper but you will be getting basically an explorer area and two quests, lots of Vol and you probably become proficient at Inferno. It also depends on what the OP is looking for, XP, loot, quest design, story?

Gianthold towers over all high level packs now with loot. Tons of named items for all types of characters and semi-craft able armor. XP is good and you have your choice of fast quests like Trial by Fire or longer quests like Madstone. The Stormreaver storyline stretches out over multiple packs and is one of the best in the game. Quest design is varied with dungeon crawls like Trial by fire or Feast or Famine, puzzle quests like Maze of Madness or Cruicible and 'epic' feeling quests like Madstone. Feast has a couple interesting optionals. You also get random dragon encounters if you play it epic.

Shadowfell has the best ML16 loot because the devs wanted people to buy the pack and it seems like a semi bribe haha. XP is solid for the time it takes to do the quests. I am not a fan of the storyline to be honest. It does have the two best quests of any in this trio though with Through a Mirror Darkly and Shadow of a Doubt both of which are highly original and unlike other quests in the game.

Necro4 has an excellent storyline and very good XP. There are some collectable turn ins for items which are nice, some of the items are very good. The Orchard is the best looking explorer zone of the three. The Temple of Vol is a very good quest and people either love or hate Inferno. Litany of the Dead is certainly unique though flagging for it is universally regarded as a pain.

I'll chime in and second Gianthold and Vale of Twilight. Even if you don't raid, Both have tons of xp, and you can theoretically craft a GS item without ever setting foot in the Shroud, if you run eDA until your eyes bleed and get lucky on shard drops and mats. I actually garnered enough larges recently on eDA for a dual shard. I was mostly farming tokens for TRing. So also consider Devil Assault pack (Chronoscope can be soloed easily enough, actually. I did so on my old FvS back when cap was at 20).

Necro IV has a great explorer area (I love well designed explorers, so sue me.) that I hit every life. Also one of the very few that it's reasonable to hit the slayer levels due to actually having mobs to kill out there. Also, with relatively recent changes, you can eventually grind out some nice, if outdated, gear with tome and shield turn ins, as well as the easier to get tapestries. All my characters still pull out their Minos at 11, even if they end up pulling out Teraza's Sight at 13. That said, the four flagging quests are, at best, unfun. The flagging mechanic is boring, grindy, and stupid. No one likes it, no one finds it a challenge except people who find challenge in turning on their computers. Litany is good XP. No one runs the raid and hasn't in the entire time I've been playing, so you won't miss out there. From descriptions, you were never going to miss anything worthwhile anyway.

Harbringer of Madness and Reign of Madness are ok XP, but very fun. Some of the best writing IMO in the game. Loot isn't as great, though some still is, but the fun factor alone keeps me going in there life after life. Get after the above three.

IQ1 has good loot, and is easily soloed except Captain Cave Man (what I refer to him as). It can also be upgraded in IQ2: Dreaming Dark. Good XP all around, and fun except the one protection quest.

Shadowfell is split into one horrible pack and one decent pack. Both have decent enough, easily obtained loot. But Wheloon sucks. Seriously. It's bad. Some of the worst-designed quests coupled with the worst mechanic in the game, the Shadowfell effect.

On the flip side, the Stormhorns have a great explorer area, fun quests except the last part of the last one, and still solid loot.
    It was the night before Hogswatch....

Optimus Prime/Grimlock 2016 Because in diplomacy, sending in the Dinobots is the only answer.

Community Member

Thanks again everyone....

So I took my Paladin back to GH and popped a 50% slayer potion and ran around for an hour or so getting kills and hit all the walk ups, then I ran through the Lordsmarch chain on Hard and hit level 16 (plus nabbed a few of the named items and tokens for my alts) After that I did the first few quests on normal in Inspiration and gather a few of the gem crafting mats... So I think that's where I will focus my attention 'till I hit 20 or until I farm all the Ioun Stones I want.

All in all it was a very productive and satisfying 4 or 5 hours.

I like hitting dungeons a few levels under with my Paladin - It forces me to slow down with him and really learn how to survive and beat the quests. When I start to /faceroll with him, I know it's time to bring my other characters in.

I guess I really wasn't out of content as much as I was just unfamiliar with the content that I have, as I already own many of the pacs that were suggested.

Also I think I was just looking for an excuse to buy something...
    So I bought the Half Orc and an extra slot instead... I been wanting to make my own custom fighter/something build - Something sword and board I think.

So tell me about this farming tokens for TR'ing - Is that something I should be doing?

/MacR

Community Member

So tell me about this farming tokens for TR'ing - Is that something I should be doing?

/MacR
    It can't be done till you hit level 20 as they come from epic end chests. Though they can also be had from challenge reward turn ins, but I'm not sure what the process is for that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    It can't be done till you hit level 20 as they come from epic end chests. Though they can also be had from challenge reward turn ins, but I'm not sure what the process is for that.
    You just need to run epic challenges - level 21+, then exchange 300 epic ingredients for a token.
    For completeness sake, mobs in elite amrath quests (heroic) sometimes drop token fragments, so theoretically you could get some tokens that way before 20. It'd be a crazy thing to do though.

Overall, I'd say there's no hurry with the tokens, they'll come.

You get token fragments from running Eberron epics on EN, EH or EE. A few quests will give you full tokens instead of fragments. The packs that give fragments and tokens are as follows:

Phiarlan Carnival
    Sentinels of Stormreach
    Vault of Night
    Red Fens
    Demon Sands
    Lord of Dust (f2p, not a pack, but they give tokens/fragments)
    Devil Assault (bugged: Gives two full tokens on epic normal, only fragments on EH and EE)

The easiest way to farm tokens outside of EN devil assault would be epic cannith challenges. If you aren't familiar with how to run challenges, see the Tutorial link in my signature.

However, farming tokens may not be necessary. It's fun just to run the above-listed epic content as a normal part of playing the game anyway, and doing so will leave you most of the way there in terms of having enough tokens to TR.

- If you solo exclusively, you shoud think of a pack with great wilderness - can be easy xp if you already grinded the quests. SO even if I don't like welhoon, the shadowfell expansion can be a good buy : 2 SRE area, plus epic-able quests. And guaranteed end rewards (which can be valuable for someone who doesn't raid).

- If you mostly solo but happen to group from time to time (like for the quest who need a second/3rd person or have insane traps) you could consider buying vale of twilight. Is my 2nd prefered pack : 5 huge xp quests, a huge slayer area (well technically two but the second is not very solo lowby friendly) , 3 raids (1 of which, shroud, is still played regularly)

- if you intend going after 20, you have to think of what you'll be doing. You'll need epic destinies. Not really an option. You'll need quests that brings enough xp to level through 28. Welhoon and stormhorns, in the shadowfell xpack can be played on epics but are high level 25+. Oh you have GH so you covered the 23-25 space. And if you have eberron classics like sands and von you can quickly go from 20 to 23.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Gianthold, then head over to evening star, then return and grind elite devil assault for shroud mats including shards. No need to even run the shroud to get the gear. Once you are 20, you can run all the epic content which drops epic level gear.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

A couple of people have pointed out that you can craft greensteel without ever running shroud. To clarify, the only bound ingredient in greensteel crafting are the shards, which you can farm in devil assault.

Devil Assault also produces a trickle of the other shroud mats, but the other shroud mats are purchasable for plat in the auction house. So if you can find a way to get plat-rich, you can make greensteel without shroud in a reasonable amount of grinding.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast