Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117
  1. #21
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    I have another idea...don't join the groups or filter out the toasters from your group. I am pretty sure that the guys wouldn't be all that keen to party with you if you share your feelings.

    And they are NOT robots..they are living constructs. There is no processor or digitalized brain going on there.

    I fail to see how someone can complain about Warforged in an Eberron campaign setting......
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and drinks oil like a duck, it's a robot.

    I personally would never ever play an eberron campaign in pen and paper D&D solely because of robots as well.

    It's like some 10 year old said 'YOU KNOW WHAT D&D NEEDS IS ROBOTS I WANT TO BE A ROBOT' and then eberron happened.

    What a waste of paper and/or digital storage space that whole campaign world is.

    (and I say this as someone who has played robots many times and by the time I'm level 6 it's always a race to finish against the 'ugh, i hate being a robot so much I don't even want to play this toon anymore, is it TR time yet?')

  2. #22
    Community Member merridyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and drinks oil like a duck, it's a robot.

    I personally would never ever play an eberron campaign in pen and paper D&D solely because of robots as well.

    It's like some 10 year old said 'YOU KNOW WHAT D&D NEEDS IS ROBOTS I WANT TO BE A ROBOT' and then eberron happened.

    What a waste of paper and/or digital storage space that whole campaign world is.
    Why don't you actually open your mind. I tried Eberron in PnP and loved it. The world makes a lot more sense than FR, magic is everywhere and it is actually used by all. What would be done with technology in FR is done with magic in Eberron.

    Warforged are a very new race, that effectively was a slave race until the end of the last war. There are parallels between WF in Eberron and slavery in our world, which we don't see in this MMO, but is very apparent in the Eberron campaign (i.e. Businesses with "No Warforged Allowed", discrimination everywhere)

  3. #23
    Community Member arkonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    i think you failed for a troll. sorry no thanks to removing any.

  4. #24
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merridyan View Post
    Why don't you actually open your mind. I tried Eberron in PnP and loved it. The world makes a lot more sense than FR, magic is everywhere and it is actually used by all. What would be done with technology in FR is done with magic in Eberron.

    Warforged are a very new race, that effectively was a slave race until the end of the last war. There are parallels between WF in Eberron and slavery in our world, which we don't see in this MMO, but is very apparent in the Eberron campaign (i.e. Businesses with "No Warforged Allowed", discrimination everywhere)
    I have a very open mind, it just doesn't include Robots in my fantasy campaign world.

    Sorry, I hate the world, and think it's stupid. Doesn't mean I don't have an open mind, it means I don't like robots in my fantasy role playing game.

    I would easily pay to never see another robot in this game, or have to explain to people why there are robots in the "D&D" game I'm playing when they happen to see me playing it.

  5. #25
    Community Member merridyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    I have a very open mind, it just doesn't include Robots in my fantasy campaign world.

    Sorry, I hate the world, and think it's stupid. Doesn't mean I don't have an open mind, it means I don't like robots in my fantasy role playing game.

    I would easily pay to never see another robot in this game, or have to explain to people why there are robots in the "D&D" game I'm playing when they happen to see me playing it.
    Again they aren't robots, but whatever, you definitely have a closed mind. And people really come up behind you and say "Hey why are there robots in that D&D game your playing?", really?

  6. #26
    Community Member Atremus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Aegis
    Posts
    1,568

    Default

    Nerf even more purchased stuff so that even more people quit the game!

    Do you remember waiting for hours for a cleric in a raid?
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

    “A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

  7. #27
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merridyan View Post
    Again they aren't robots, but whatever, you definitely have a closed mind. And people really come up behind you and say "Hey why are there robots in that D&D game your playing?", really?
    Yes, people have asked me why there are robots in this Dungeons and Dragons game I claim I am playing.

    You have a closed mind for not accepting my dislike of robots.

    Have you noticed it's always 'oil of repair'?

    Weird, that... why would you need oil unless you were... a robot....

  8. #28
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Yes, people have asked me why there are robots in this Dungeons and Dragons game I claim I am playing.
    Constructs have been a part of D&D since the 70s. They only really became a playable race far more recently.

    There have been robots in D&D since the 80s. The module was called: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedit..._Barrier_Peaks

  9. #29
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merridyan View Post
    Robots are much more likely to be encountered in FR, which is a low magic place where technology fills the gap that magic fills in Eberron.
    Uh.. exactly how familiar are you with FR?

    You want low-magic, let's talk Darksun.

  10. #30
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Constructs have been a part of D&D since the 70s. The only really became a playable race far more recently.
    That's a real shame.

    I'd still easily pay 5000 tp for a permanent solution to change all robot body-models to something more fantasy-realm like, even if it only affected myself and what *I* see on screen.

    Original post may have been a troll, but I'd still pay 5000 tp.

    TAKE MY MONEY, TURBINE!

  11. #31
    Community Member Azithoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merridyan View Post
    And people really come up behind you and say "Hey why are there robots in that D&D game your playing?", really?
    yes

  12. #32
    Community Member Lagin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,331

    Default

    In factuall D&D lore, if a warforged was seen on Khorvairre, They would have been executed on the spot.

    When Turbine was in the production phase of FR content, they had to have a little twist on stuff from WotC. In fact a dev even posted that info.

    So... We're stuck with them.

    But hey, this is a FANTASY game right? Otherwise the female dwarves would have full beards. Oh wait.....


  13. #33
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    7,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Yes, people have asked me why there are robots in this Dungeons and Dragons game I claim I am playing.

    You have a closed mind for not accepting my dislike of robots.

    Have you noticed it's always 'oil of repair'?

    Weird, that... why would you need oil unless you were... a robot....
    Not to live with the trolls, but you do use oil to help keep wood products from becoming worn, frayed, faded, etc.

  14. #34
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press
    MuleAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Embrace the lore of Eberron


    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````
    MuleAxe~1 | Occidere~1| MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

  15. #35
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    That's a real shame.

    I'd still easily pay 5000 tp for a permanent solution to change all robot body-models to something more fantasy-realm like, even if it only affected myself and what *I* see on screen.

    Original post may have been a troll, but I'd still pay 5000 tp.

    TAKE MY MONEY, TURBINE!
    I dont see why this level of seriousness in an MMO. I completely understand for a PnP campaign but not an MMO. In an MMO you got people running around with nonfantasy names, names from characters in books, etc.....so while we are worrying about "robots" in a D&D setting, XxDrizztxX runs past us, and Mikasa Ackerman is arguing with Runbackwards and pew pew pew in trade channel about the vaue of specific items. Ikeelunow puts up the LFM you join to run quests. If we are trying to maintain the fantasy pretense, "robots" may be a concern, but they are far from the worst things that drag us out of the fantasy immersion.

  16. #36
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I dont see why this level of seriousness in an MMO. I completely understand for a PnP campaign but not an MMO. In an MMO you got people running around with nonfantasy names, names from characters in books, etc.....so while we are worrying about "robots" in a D&D setting, XxDrizztxX runs past us, and Mikasa Ackerman is arguing with Runbackwards and pew pew pew in trade channel about the vaue of specific items. Ikeelunow puts up the LFM you join to run quests. If we are trying to maintain the fantasy pretense, "robots" may be a concern, but they are far from the worst things that drag us out of the fantasy immersion.
    Obviously the robots bother some people and not others.

    And that's okay.

    I'm not asking robots to be nerfed or for the bladerobots to lose their SLA, I'd just pay to never ever ever see a robot ever again.

    And that's okay, too.

    As for names; I can turn of chat channels, I can turn off overhead names, I can ignore lfm's if i really wanted to, but really, names don't bother me, they're not big robots running through every public area and/or quest of the game.

    That bothers me.

    Takes all kinds, to play this game - I'd pay to never see robots again, and I'm sure some others would too.

    (maybe not many, I mean 5000 is a lot of tp, but to me, it'd be worth it to never ever ever see a robot again)

  17. #37
    Community Member Kalimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and drinks oil like a duck, it's a robot.

    I personally would never ever play an eberron campaign in pen and paper D&D solely because of robots as well.

    It's like some 10 year old said 'YOU KNOW WHAT D&D NEEDS IS ROBOTS I WANT TO BE A ROBOT' and then eberron happened.

    What a waste of paper and/or digital storage space that whole campaign world is.

    (and I say this as someone who has played robots many times and by the time I'm level 6 it's always a race to finish against the 'ugh, i hate being a robot so much I don't even want to play this toon anymore, is it TR time yet?')
    No sir...it walks like a goose, honks and chases you across the parking lot. My friend that is a goose and not a duck. I think its safe to say you are not an old PNP player or you just said the hell with it around 3.5?
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

  18. #38
    Community Member eris2323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    No sir...it walks like a goose, honks and chases you across the parking lot. My friend that is a goose and not a duck. I think its safe to say you are not an old PNP player or you just said the hell with it around 3.5?
    You'd be wrong on something in that statement.

    I just don't care enough to enlighten you.

    Sheesh, people can't even have opinions on this forum anymore that don't involve nerfing, it's kind of sad.

    Robots are stupid looking, and some think they have no place in D&D. This is nothing new, it's being going on since before I joined. WIth the way things are going now, everyone and their grandma is a robot.... they're everywhere.

    For that reason, I'd still pay money to never ever see a robot again.

    It wouldn't affect your game. It would make mine much better.

    It would give Turbine money.

    How is this such a huge problem?

    Copy old human bodies, add a colored tint to them (so we still know at heart they're robots and healers know they can use repair spells), sell me an item to replace the robot bodies with these bodies on my screen only, and we're done.

    You can go back to enjoying robots and I can go back to enjoying dungeons and dragons.
    Last edited by eris2323; 07-01-2014 at 04:28 PM.

  19. #39
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    18,059

    Default

    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

    .55326.

  20. #40
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    Worst feature in the whole game, imo, are the robots.. They really have no place in any fantasy lore/setting, as they're high tech. Thanks to turbine, every group I'm in now is dominated by the g*dd**n robots. I especially love the ones that can't quite manage to keep themselves "repaired"..

    If I had one change to make to this game, it would be to remove robots from it entirely.
    1. Warforged are not robots. They have souls and are considered to be a living creature.
    2. You play the race you want to play, others will play what they want. I don't see you paying their bills.
    3. This game was based in Ebberron first, not Forgotten Realms. There are an equal number of people that would rather see the Realms annihilated from the game.
    4. Hi Welcome to the game.
    5. Profit.

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    I have a very open mind, it just doesn't include Robots in my fantasy campaign world.
    Do you have any clue what a golem is? How about the npc enemy called a skeleton?

    Oh Noes! you've had robots in your fantasy all along. *gasp*

    The only major difference being A) how movement is achieved and B) how commands are processed, other wise all the exact same principle.

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Copy old human bodies, add a colored tint to them (so we still know at heart they're robots and healers know they can use repair spells), sell me an item to replace the robot bodies with these bodies on my screen only, and we're done.
    We then apply various armor and oh gosh look at that... Right back where we started from. Imagine that.

    I have zero issues with you not liking warforged or steam punk settings. I just have issues with how complaints can be worded that make people that are obviously intelligent sound so darn ignorant.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 07-01-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload