Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It took me a number of times running the cove to reconcile the proper directions with what my intuition was telling me. This is due to the direction you are facing when you first zone in. You tend to immediately establish forward, back, left, and right according to that. Due to this i used to always associate forward with north. It is of course south as i know now, but it still seems unintuitive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Oh, something I might not have emphasized enough is that I'm shortmanning PUG CCs, It's pretty much guaranteed someone will die fighting trash mobs but oh well, they're still better than hirelings!

In a recent run for example we had 4 people but the other 3 didn't amount to 1. One of them died clearing waterfalls, the other went to take his soul and died and then Jibber's showed up and chaos ensured. We got 250 crystals that run, in a way it was a great run considering all casualties.
    i see differently.inexperienced players pull you from collectin.Shortmannin or not;Hires are more reliable smtimes.I'm glad to help a newer group,in heroic cc lvls.Newer players get shredded w newb equipment in epic CC.Tough choice ,wanna help new runners,but it sucks fighting like mad for 125 shards,when I get 180-280 solo.Best choice for newbs to cove is have a good hire set by them defending,as they learn what's up.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    It took me a number of times running the cove to reconcile the proper directions with what my intuition was telling me. This is due to the direction you are facing when you first zone in. You tend to immediately establish forward, back, left, and right according to that. Due to this i used to always associate forward with north. It is of course south as i know now, but it still seems unintuitive to me.
    Yep that is why I reversed the map. It works much better from the 1st person view when you zone in.

I got a few runs knocked out with just an owlbear and a cleric hire. I parked them at the base of the ramp on active agro. Clear out the room just straight off the ramp (drop my porter there) then start a line off toward the waterfall killing **** as I go. Then run back to main room and put the last stick down to finish the line heading off to the waterfall. I run grab my sticks going to the cubby hole room in the first area and grab my porter. Then truck over toward the waterfall and drop the porter as I got to move guys along. I've been doing them on my swasher lately so he has DD and crowd control when needed (alogn with buffs and invis for the kobs).

You can even grab the projen crystal that is usually down past the waterfall.

Not an awesome way to do it but you can get it done and don't need any help with it.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    I'm having A LOT of fun with this, CC is a great event that's almost making me consider running Cannith Challenges, but I would like to get some help maximizing my shard gain! I'm level 18, Bard and usually the highest level in the group.

Unfortunately I can't stay online for extended periods of time what makes me often log-in and see that Cove is open and time is running out.
    I torched a few 2~3-man cove runs today and got around 150 crystals in each of them, I'm only a mediocre torcher too but oh well :P Seeing how a decent PUG cove run usually nets 220 crystals there's a lot of room of improvement, I'm not really aiming for 300~400 crystal runs here, one step a time (o.o) and I honestly don't think it's possible.

Basically, the start is a wonder, I tell my partner to clear south and go West to look for smoking-Crystals (gatta tell 'em to cut on those mushrooms), I lay a line to South and a teleporter there then I scout East while laying some torches for later use, I usually buy all torches, all kobolds, 2 teleporters, all barrels or 20~30 if I have a Barrel form, I haven't tried buying all 60-barrels, it sounds pretty expensive.

I pick the crystals about to explode while laying phantom lines to speed up later, this usually gets me 250 crystals in full group runs, I also aggro a bunch of skellies on the way but oh well, that's what Heal Scrolls are for. This is an easy quota very early or around 13 mins if I use a requisition form to buy extra stuff.

But midway through it becomes a nightmare, Jack Jibbers shows up and kills 1~2 kobolds, I could park there but 1~2 kobolds are a pretty small sacrifice, we run to him and start attacking, then other hobgoblins show up at the same time and start killing kobolds including the Orange-named Bugbear that although Insta-Killable has a lot of HP. Jack's Disintegrate hits for 400 on a failed save (30 on a successful save) and he casts it VERY often, he uses Wall of Fire and has a powerful melee output of his own.

I started leading to the shrine and shamefully kamikaze'ing with brute force, I'm a bard so I try to Heal Scroll my partner, charm the hobgoblins to save as many kobolds as possible (even because a charmed Hob is a dead Hob when Jibbers is nearby) and Coup de Grace the named bugbear.
    Okay, a few deaths on our side and he's dead, I usually die more than I should because I'm trying to protect the kobolds but that's a price to pay.

But it so happens that we lost around 2 mins fighting Jibbers and an enormous number of Kobolds, my lines are already depleted at this point and I'll have to lay new ones to often still uncleared areas while my partner is still fighting raiders, this is another huge waste of time. Somewhere around the end the Kobolds start dropping like burning kittens very fast.

In my last run, for example, we had TWO Kobolds alive at the end. It was a shame though because there were 3~4 easy purples ready to be picked and not enough kobold-power, it would have been a 200 crystal run if only we could have kept a few more alive
    If you're only looking for crystals it's honestly easiest to run this at like level 2 or something. I have a TR sorc at level 2 but I think all you need is maximize/empower and some SLAs and you'll cook things even if they save. This way there are fewer mobs and your hireling + its summoned pet are relatively strong. If I'm running on my capped character solo, Jack Jibbers takes several seconds to kill and spams firewalls all over the place. If I'm playing on my sorc, my hireling and dog will just kill him while I'm running torches.

I tend to set up the forward (south) alcove first and then scout the east (left) side. At the very least the waterfall all the way southeast will have a bunch of purples. After I clear the purples out of east side I run the torch line west (right) to wherever I can find any purples. Pretty consistently get 220-300 shards per run depending on how lucky you are with the purples. I park the hire at the base of the ramp while I run the east side and then at the west doorway while I run west side. If you're on top of things hopefully not too many kobolds will die, although they always seem to.

Also you can get a handle on the named spawn timers (Jack Jibbers around halftime from west, Pirate Sorc at ~14 min from east, Minotaur ~5min from west).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12