Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    ...vorpaled...
    This is a perfect example of the McDonald effect, to offer what looks like something else, but cheap and fast. IE: a Cheap Fast Burger is the same as a Cheap Fast Home. They have pre-made designs, and you pick what you want, with minor variance, and you get your 'custom' home, you want fries with that no pickle double quarter pounder?
    ...vorpaled again due to lag...
    We have a word for that: McMansions.

However you spell it, to bring new players tot he game, something has to be done. Oracle shows that nothing is really increasing. And who is to say that increase spikes aren't just old blood checking new content?

Outside of advertising, which is hard to do with these forums, I think more content for free that helped direct players in playing would help keep people past their first life.
    Last edited by Seikojin; 07-02-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ive shown through specific examples that there is correlation
    No. There is no correlation between a nitch game and it's quality, none once so ever.

Case in point, There is no promise of variant in quality between "Christmas candies" and "generic candies", the fact they are "Christmas" or "Halloween" or holiday themed, does not affect their quality, their quality is in those cases, contingent upon their manufacturer, not if they are niche or not.

Same holds true for tools, IE: a basin wrench is not going to be in any variant of quality of a generic wrench just because it serves a specific purpose.

The list goes on and on and on to prove just because something is niche or not, has zero bearing on what quality the product will be. None once so ever.

This in and of itself shows how people view those brandnames, styles, and word association, and how they correlate those terms with higher quality - something you are still flailing in attempt to deny, even after I used your own reaction to my statement as the proving device.
    Oh wait right there, I said Price and Availability are the determining factors, Quality had nothing to do with it.

You really need to one day start to read what people write as opposed to just make up what they are saying, would help if you knew what you were talking about, but, baby steps I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    However you spell it, to bring new players to the game, something has to be done. Oracle shows that nothing is really increasing. And who is to say that increase spikes aren't just old blood checking new content?
    This is true, but my point is that regardless if those spikes were new blood or old blood, they are not staying around, and that is the real problem. As such focus needs to be put on retention not advertising.

Community Member

First of all, the game is very dated by now and it shows. The first impression will be that of an aged game with "vintage" graphics. So new players have to get a glimpse of the great system that lies beneath that first impression - I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish this.

Bugs (and lag) - yes, I know, you can enjoy the game perfectly even with the ever growing list of bugs. But for a newcomer, this will leave a very bad impression. Playing in Korthos for an hour and experience 1 or 2 glitches that we came to accept years ago will damage a game for a new customer. It makes it look unprofessional and not worth investing time. I mean, if I experience bugs even in the first 2 hours being here, what is to expect later?

The game leaves people clueless. Yes, this is something that has nothing to do with l2p or filthy casuals. You cannot be knowledgeable about a thing unknown to you. Unless Turbine did a MAJOR overhaul of character creation and introduction, noone can have any idea of working game mechanics. Yeah, read them up on the wiki. I do such things and expect players to do the same, but not when I check out a game. I don´t invest time for a game before I am somewhat convinced it is worth my time. Just look at character paths, they ensure you will end up with a very gimpy character. The explanation of attributes and skills is ridiculous.

And finally: I bet DDO still draws in a relevant number of D&D enthusiasts. Like myself back then. And I failed miserably - I created a character that would have worked very well in pnp, but barely in DDO. That is to be expected, I was naive thinking I knew anything about DDO systems. But that should be made very clear during character creation.

Edit: Something else: money grabbing impressions. One of the first NPCs you meet will direct you to the shop. I know, this dude serves the purpose of making people familiar with the store. But when I jump into a "f2p" game and the first guy I talk to offers me such a "deal", I´d think Zynga and uninstall the game.
    Last edited by Algreg; 07-03-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Me, I picked this up as a pnp player where the DM is off in school vacations (he is a teacher) and some of the group was already playing this.
    But how I sometimes pickup some other games (again) is by being a casual tablet player too and when i stroll through the store I look for something d&d or fantasy/rpg related.
    Some things I did found ther inticed me to see if there is also a pc version (for example the enhanced baldurs gate). What might (and this depends on how well they make this all) is tools and/or minigame that ties in the actual game for mobile devices.
    first, your name is out there. Just that counts more than you realize.
    second, your existing players would use the tool(s) during the day and bystanders will sometimes peak and wonder and get lured to the game.
    third, a well made minigame might lure people who are playing that.

I just started playing DDO during Thanksgiving weekend. The sale prices on the Expansions are what brought me in. I bought both expansions, starter package, half-orc race (all on sale). To me, this is something DDO has to seriously consider - permanently changing the baseline prices of the Expansions and other permanent add-ons. With a better price point, DDO would draw in more players, my opinion.

Other thing I noticed that nearly became make/break - when you first start the game, some computers can end up poorly running the graphics if the newer Direct X are run (mine tried DX11 and the lag was incredibly slow, maybe a frame every 5 seconds). The default for new installations should automatically check the "Detect Optimal Settings" instead of being unchecked. This is seen at the Options page (Main Menu > Options > look for box to check named "Detect Optimal Settings"). By checking this, the game reverted my computer to Direct X 9 and then the game became fully functional without lag. I wonder how many new players think that their computer isn't capable of running the game if upon initial login the game appears choppy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post

Other thing I noticed that nearly became make/break - when you first start the game, some computers can end up poorly running the graphics if the newer Direct X are run (mine tried DX11 and the lag was incredibly slow, maybe a frame every 5 seconds). The default for new installations should automatically check the "Detect Optimal Settings" instead of being unchecked. This is seen at the Options page (Main Menu > Options > look for box to check named "Detect Optimal Settings"). By checking this, the game reverted my computer to Direct X 9 and then the game became fully functional without lag. I wonder how many new players think that their computer isn't capable of running the game if upon initial login the game appears choppy.
    DIRECTX 9.0!! Thankyou. I am travelling for xmas so not playing DDO on my usually machine. Got a small portable alienware laptop - which should work for DDO easily. MASSIVE lag and almost can't play! But then changed Direct 11 to Direct 9.0... DONE! so thanks for that note and yes I been on DDO for years and I didn't realise this as this is a setting I rarely change ie., set and forget. So new players who will think latest directx is best -- NOPES... but they may quite due to the performance issues....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567