Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member californiapiper's Avatar

Default Yeah Yeah Swashbuckler!!! mean time my old rant for different instrument

As a long time bard player I would like to rant once again against playing the lute. I play bagpipes in life and I want my bards to play the pipes. While D&D is not based in this world
    It is a way back when game. So why the lute? The pipes are much older, some shepherd in the east. Most likely modern day Turkey attached his flute to a sheep stomach as an
    air reservoir so his flute could sound even while he took a breath.
    A bit more pipe history the Roman Army first marshaled them and brought them to Europe, since the pipes have been used to inspire armies to victory, Over a 1000 pipers died during WWI
    So devs allow my bards to be pipers and lute guitar heros

We need multiple instrument choices!

Bagpipes is a great idea but I'd also like to add:

1. Bugle/Horn {add in the Reveille - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ozOX9l7M8&feature=kp - please Devs}

2. Harp

3. Vocal - Singing or Poetry!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

1. Bugle/Horn {add in the Reveille - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ozOX9l7M8&feature=kp - please Devs}

2. Harp

horn would make a nice mace

Harp or drum, could be buckler/orb ?

vocal = unarmed, but no monk so .... cant you sing while wielding your great axe ?

bagpipes .... well cosmetic maybe ? cant see a weapon substitute in DDO for this one ... maybe ranged like a blow dart

But yeah I agree, with the emphasis on bards atm it would be great if they added more instruments to the game. Both in weapon/shield form and cosmetics!

hmm .. giving each race its "own" instrument while playing a song will take it to far, but would be awesome!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by californiapiper View Post
    As a long time bard player I would like to rant once again against playing the lute. I play bagpipes in life and I want my bards to play the pipes. While D&D is not based in this world
    It is a way back when game. So why the lute? The pipes are much older, some shepherd in the east. Most likely modern day Turkey attached his flute to a sheep stomach as an
    air reservoir so his flute could sound even while he took a breath.
    A bit more pipe history the Roman Army first marshaled them and brought them to Europe, since the pipes have been used to inspire armies to victory, Over a 1000 pipers died during WWI
    So devs allow my bards to be pipers and lute guitar heros
    Add Scottish Brae to the repertoire.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I used to have a pnp Bard that rocked a magic kazoo. The kazoo could charm small forest creatures; squirrels, chipmunks, etc.

Needs more cowbell.

LOTRO handles this with Minstrels. There are several instruments and each changes the sound you make when you use attacks. Each also has a different set of bonuses. Drums do more dps but use more mana on attacks. Flutes improve healing, etc. It requires slotting an item to accomplish this, but LOTRO has a "class item" slot so it doesn't affect them.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Add Scottish Brae to the repertoire.
    How About "Garryowen"? http://youtu.be/UNwu8qRllJ0

Quote Originally Posted by Aliss7 View Post
    Needs more cowbell.
    More Cowbell http://vimeo.com/55624839

Quote Originally Posted by Aliss7 View Post
    Needs more cowbell.
    This.

Also, pipe or flute - there's even already a pipe type musical solo played by one or other of the NPCs somewhere. Keep hearing bits of it as I run around, I would guess House P near the carnival chain giver. So the music's there, we just need the animation.

I say 'just'. I mean, animations are just SO hard to do in computer games. Press release hard, apparently. But then, we're not asking for female assassins here. Just a pipe or drums! (actually I know someone who plays his three-hole pipe in one hand and bangs a drum with the other. Neither of those things are euphemisms, I swear! I just mean in theory you could have a piper-drummer)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

2. Harp

Heh.

I'd think a hurdy-gurdy or a Swedish nyckelharpa would fit in particularly well. Especially for those artificer/swashbucklers that use runearms too... this is Eberron after all, which isn't really a low-tech "medieval" setting, so instruments with plenty of moving parts would not be out of the question.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

This...let's go with this.

8-bit awesome FTW!

Community Member

I've been saying this for a while. I think Swashbuckler was the last thing bards needed. There is already a bard melee tree(that needs love) and a bard caster tree(that was crossed with the bards CC tree).

Bards should stand out as a Buff/Support. When i think bard i think of my FFXI bard when I join a group people would be excited "we got a bard awesome". In ddo it "We have to carry a bard?"

Harps and tabors,oh yes that would be so great. Harp would use the same action as the lute (almost)
    TYRS PALADIUM......Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Ranger/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monk/Hesteban fvs /Skummspawn cleric /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts rogue /Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster ftr/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner warlock

Default A real bard

This brave man is was a true bard, no idea on the name, but a true WW1 battle field picture

Bards are meant to inspire courage and we've lost sight of what a bards purpose in the game
    is. Bards are not meant to keep up with the the dps of everyone else, but to make everyone
    else better

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvx View Post
    I've been saying this for a while. I think Swashbuckler was the last thing bards needed. There is already a bard melee tree(that needs love) and a bard caster tree(that was crossed with the bards CC tree).

Bards should stand out as a Buff/Support. When i think bard i think of my FFXI bard when I join a group people would be excited "we got a bard awesome". In ddo it "We have to carry a bard?"

Swashbuckler was something Bards needed. Warchanter wasn't getting it done. Swashbuckler provides a whole other level of combat style and gives Bard another option for melee and now throwing and even an insta kill.

Options are good!

You want Bards that only stand out as Buff/Support??? They do that. They do it well. No one shuts down a mob or buffs a party like a Bard...they rock already.

Honestly..I have no issues with showing up to a party with my Bard. I have yet to ever meet anyone who said "oh great we have to carry the Bard" or even anything close to that. So if you are in groups that say that then I don't know what to tell you...find a new group or re-roll your Bard ^^

Default Instrument of War

A short video explaining both the effect the pipes have on soldiers and the bravery of the pipers themselves
    armed only with a set of pipes and some tunes in their heads

Default Yeah we're getting off topic

Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Swashbuckler was something Bards needed. Warchanter wasn't getting it done. Swashbuckler provides a whole other level of combat style and gives Bard another option for melee and now throwing and even an insta kill.

Options are good!

You want Bards that only stand out as Buff/Support??? They do that. They do it well. No one shuts down a mob or buffs a party like a Bard...they rock already.

Honestly..I have no issues with showing up to a party with my Bard. I have yet to ever meet anyone who said "oh great we have to carry the Bard" or even anything close to that. So if you are in groups that say that then I don't know what to tell you...find a new group or re-roll your Bard ^^

My bards are pimp, can solo all end game EE, and no one has ever thought they had to carry my bards, point is I want bagpipes

Quote Originally Posted by californiapiper View Post
    My bards are pimp, can solo all end game EE, and no one has ever thought they had to carry my bards, point is I want bagpipes

You can only have bagpipes when we get kilt armor kits ^^ and the hats..must have the cute hats.

Since Scotland is where the dwarvish accents come from, the dwarves should get bagpipes as an instrument.

...and kilts.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast