Default Need Pure elven Ranger

Hello, for my next live, I want to do a pure elf ranger. Will play heroic and only a few epic quest until a max out a destiny or close to it. Want to do mostly range damage w/ bow and only melee somewhat. ( I have read that it not really viable compare to melee or monkcher but still want to play a pure range elf) I just want to experience the class so I do not want to multi-class at all. 36 pts, 5+ tome CON, 4+ DEX, and 3+ tome for everything else. solo a lot at lower and group more often at higher lvl.

starting stat would be 16 str, 17 dex, 15 con, 12 int, 8 wis, 9 cha.

Feats I am taking are PBS, IPS, IC: ranged, precision, maybe empowered healing. Cant think of what other feat i should take, for epic; Combat archery at 21. Doubt I make it to lvl 24 but would like a suggestion here.

For skills, Concentration, heal, move silently, hide. Should I get UMD for a ranger life? jump and balance?

Enchancement, I have no clue but definitely want to be AA with some deepwood, read about something about Grace for dex to damage, this is something I want yes?

Any help would be very appreciated plus any tip, should tr in about a week and hope for a build by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakyes_01 View Post
    Hello, for my next live, I want to do a pure elf ranger. Will play heroic and only a few epic quest until a max out a destiny or close to it. Want to do mostly range damage w/ bow and only melee somewhat. ( I have read that it not really viable compare to melee or monkcher but still want to play a pure range elf) I just want to experience the class so I do not want to multi-class at all. 36 pts, 5+ tome CON, 4+ DEX, and 3+ tome for everything else. solo a lot at lower and group more often at higher lvl.

starting stat would be 16 str, 17 dex, 15 con, 12 int, 8 wis, 9 cha.

Feats I am taking are PBS, IPS, IC: ranged, precision, maybe empowered healing. Cant think of what other feat i should take, for epic; Combat archery at 21. Doubt I make it to lvl 24 but would like a suggestion here.

For skills, Concentration, heal, move silently, hide. Should I get UMD for a ranger life? jump and balance?

Enchancement, I have no clue but definitely want to be AA with some deepwood, read about something about Grace for dex to damage, this is something I want yes?

Any help would be very appreciated plus any tip, should tr in about a week and hope for a build by then.
    1) PBS
    3) Precision
    6) Dragon Mark (?)
    9) Emp. Heal
    12) IC: Range
    15) Dodge
    18) Extend (For DM ?); Toughness; Quicken
    21) Combat Archery

• Your granted all but 2 of the feats you need for archery (PBS and IC:Range) leaving 5 feats and many options. Your Elf, so may as well take the Dragon Mark for Invis/Displacement which will help you with Racial Tree.
    • Your granted Bow Strength so you only need 21 Dex (17 + 4 Tome) to qualify for Combat Archery. I would go Strength based so you can do the most damage which you will need going pure.
    • Heal; Hide; Sneak; UMD (Should be able to get a usable UMD); Tumble - 1;
    • You want Slayer Arrows, Tier 5 AA. It helps you with the flashy numbers
    • Can't tell you what is good in DS as I only use it for Positive Healing some of the AP's grant.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    [*]Can't tell you what is good in DS as I only use it for Positive Healing some of the AP's grant.[/list]
    Sniper Shot: Ranged Attack: Performs a ranged attack with +2[W], a +4 bonus to-hit, +2 to critical threat range, and +2 to Critical Damage Multiplier. On Damage: The target will become momentarily confused and rendered vulnerable to sneak attacks for four seconds as if affected by the bluff skill. (Cooldown 6 seconds)

Community Member

Hi,

DWS also extends your PBS/SA attack range and adds SA damage, which is very handy for a ranger.

You may not want to spend a lot of points in DWS, but there is some good low hanging fruit in the tree. Spending just a few points in it will give some nice returns.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Try this

Deepwood Stalker (11 AP)
    Core: Far Shot
    Core: Sneak Attack
    Core: Exposing Strike
    Tier 1: Increased Empathy III
    Tier 1: Versatile Empathy II
    Tier 1: Tendon Cut III

ty for the replies, was talking w/ a guildy and he really seem like deepwood, but going for AA and some point in DWS, either way, I just lose some plat if I want to change enchancement. Also decide to go dex-based and pick the Grace ehancement from the elf tree, and use rapier when i want to melee. chose extend for dragonmark and dodge since i dont really know what else and might as well increase my dodge. So no use IPS? although I don't really mind. For Favored Enemy, I chose undead, giant, evil outsider, construct, and elemental. in that order. (should i pick construct at lvl 10 and EO at lvl 15?). Any other feedback are welcome.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.20.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 21 True Neutral Elf Male
    (20 Ranger \ 1 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 304
    Spell Points: 300 
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 20
    Will: 6

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 21)
    Strength             16                    19
    Dexterity            18                    27
    Constitution         14                    19
    Intelligence         10                    13
    Wisdom                8                    11
    Charisma             12                    15

Tomes Used
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 19
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 19
    +5 Tome of Constitution used at level 19
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 19
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 19
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 19

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 21)
    Balance               4                    17
    Bluff                 1                     3
    Concentration         6                    28
    Diplomacy             1                     3
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                1                     3
    Heal                  3                    24
    Hide                  8                    34
    Intimidate            1                     3
    Jump                  5                    12
    Listen               -1                     3
    Move Silently         8                    32
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     3
    Search                0                     5
    Spellcraft            0                     2
    Spot                 -1                     3
    Swim                  3                     5
    Tumble                5                    10
    Use Magic Device      3                    15

Level 1 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Artificer
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Favored Soul
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Sorcerer
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Shadow

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 10 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 19 (Ranger)

Level 20 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental

Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Combat Archery

Quote Originally Posted by Drakyes_01 View Post
    ty for the replies, was talking w/ a guildy and he really seem like deepwood, but going for AA and some point in DWS, either way, I just lose some plat if I want to change enchancement. Also decide to go dex-based and pick the Grace ehancement from the elf tree, and use rapier when i want to melee. chose extend for dragonmark and dodge since i dont really know what else and might as well increase my dodge. So no use IPS? although I don't really mind. For Favored Enemy, I chose undead, giant, evil outsider, construct, and elemental. in that order. (should i pick construct at lvl 10 and EO at lvl 15?). Any other feedback are welcome.

Hmm, a couple things.
    If it were me, I know that dex is cheap on an elf, but I might drop it a bit. Maybe up your strength a point(bow strength), but definitely raise your wisdom! Maybe drop your CHA some, if necessary (I love umd too, but honestly it never gets all that good on a ranger anyway) and/or if you want to and as you have +5 CON tome, drop your CON to 13 to start. As it stands now you won't even get the 4th level spells...or even the 3rd I think actually. That's a big deal, especially if you are spending a feat for emp. healing.

Your spot is non-existent. That is a really bad idea for a ranged combatant. As above, raise your wisdom and put 23 points in spot.

Those are the main things.

I would also suggest that you not be afraid to set aside the bow from time to time and melee. You get a lot of good melee feats for free as a ranger it's a shame to waste them. Besides, you will get overrun (only repeaters can mow mobs down fast enough) and while you can kite them, it's often more efficient to just slice and dice.

Edit: Oh yeah, construct was an interesting choice, but at the level that you took it (15th) it isn't that applicable. Well, I guess if you are dead set on running the House C quests it's okay. As you are definitely planning on doing low-level epics though, I would suggest elf as a favored enemy at 15th instead. That will help you out when you have to start fighting drow a lot.
    Last edited by Psiandron; 06-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

from i kept reading I only need to have 14 wis score to cast all of my spell, 8 base + 6 wis item would be enough plus i have tome. Including ship buff, i doubt I have any problem casting any spell. I would have if I was a first life but I am not. As for spot, is there any reason for spot? I know where are most traps are and can't see why I would need it for? Of course I am willing to change my mind if someone can remind me. I consider elf in place of construct, that if i dont take it at lvl 10. Thank for the reply and gonna still do some more research, I guess, before I tr.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I use a 10 Int for my Elf Rgrs. (they usually get tomes eventually, and I usually do an LR at some point.)

That is plenty of skill points for a pure Rgr IMO.

Hide
    Move Silently

Spot (to see hidden monsters!)

UMD (half ranks, stop at 11 at lvl 19) This is for raise scrolls. I have not been able to use 11 ranks of UMD for anything else.

10 ranks in Jump. (Jump spell will add 30 to cap at 40, can use less than 10 ranks if you want to since Strength will add to it.)(my personal preference, not based on any known numbers. I just want to have an effective Jump unbuffed as well.)

1 rank in Tumble (takes two skill points, I usually do this during creation.)(allows the Tumble skill to be used. Dex will add to it and you might want to use the Tumble spell)

I started maximizing the Heal skill since it now adds to positive spell power (you cure spells)

Extra points I have started putting into Search, since they changes how secret doors are found.
    Concentration is also valuable, but I just jump when I cast cure spells and I usually get if off ok. (not always though... your choice.)

This is more than 6 skill points / level, but I almost always acquire tomes eventually. Or use my favor +2 tome and my free LR when I get 1750 favor.
    (can put off getting UMD until then, since it is not useful at all until you are almost lvl 20.)

The enhancement for the spell temp spell points (Fey blood? I can never remember these things when I am on the forums.....grrr)
    is a nice one. lets you buff at the beginning of a dungeon and still have most of your SP left for heals.

I also take the enhancements for extra SP, or temp SP. (need those heals, and rebuffs, and AA uses....)

I have started taking Maximize, Empower, and Empower Heal on my Rgrs.
    My DPS sufffers, but I have never been able to keep up with the big dogs in DPS anyway.... I would rather have powerful heals when I need them.

I also take the Dragon Mark and take the Displacement enhancement. (nothing beats Displacement....lol)

I like the Dex to damage enhancements... and go Dex based. I start with 16 Dex and put all level up points into Dex. There may be better ways to build than I do..... But you want a High Ref save!

You want s high Ref save!

YOU WANT A HIGH REF SAVE!!!!!!

Point Blank Shot.

I usually take Improved Crit Ranged. and maybe slash.

Love Arcane Archer.
    Debating the best enhancments from AA to take. (all good..lol)

Can add the Tempest Ref saves enhancements if you want.

Faster sneaking and or sprint boost are also fun to have.

I also try to build for TWF too, but AA is so good I really never need to melee. But I choose to at times.. just for flavor....lol

Edit: oh... and I am much happier with a 14 Wisdom at creation. my real recommendation to others would be start with Wis14, then dump it when you do your LR (and most likely have a +6 Wis item)

I usually dump Cha... but UMD and Wild Empathy would benefit from a higher Cha.

...hmmmm.. that's about it.
    Just remember my DPS sucks... so be careful following my advice....lol

Edit edit: Undead, Giant, Evil Outsider, Elemental, Construct. If Deep Wood Sniper add Plant. Many other useful ones for epics, but keep in mind monsters that cannot be critted and have DR when choosing FEs. Elementals are especially annoying because of their DR.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 06-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    I use a 10 Int for my Elf Rgrs. (they usually get tomes eventually, and I usually do an LR at some point.)

That is plenty of skill points for a pure Rgr IMO.

Hide
    Move Silently

Spot (to see hidden monsters!)

UMD (half ranks, stop at 11 at lvl 19) This is for raise scrolls. I have not been able to use 11 ranks of UMD for anything else.

10 ranks in Jump. (Jump spell will add 30 to cap at 40, can use less than 10 ranks if you want to since Strength will add to it.)(my personal preference, not based on any known numbers. I just want to have an effective Jump unbuffed as well.)

1 rank in Tumble (takes two skill points, I usually do this during creation.)(allows the Tumble skill to be used. Dex will add to it and you might want to use the Tumble spell)

I started maximizing the Heal skill since it now adds to positive spell power (you cure spells)

Extra points I have started putting into Search, since they changes how secret doors are found.
    Concentration is also valuable, but I just jump when I cast cure spells and I usually get if off ok. (not always though... your choice.)

This is more than 6 skill points / level, but I almost always acquire tomes eventually. Or use my favor +2 tome and my free LR when I get 1750 favor.
    (can put off getting UMD until then, since it is not useful at all until you are almost lvl 20.)

The enhancement for the spell temp spell points (Fey blood? I can never remember these things when I am on the forums.....grrr)
    is a nice one. lets you buff at the beginning of a dungeon and still have most of your SP left for heals.

I also take the enhancements for extra SP, or temp SP. (need those heals, and rebuffs, and AA uses....)

I have started taking Maximize, Empower, and Empower Heal on my Rgrs.
    My DPS sufffers, but I have never been able to keep up with the big dogs in DPS anyway.... I would rather have powerful heals when I need them.

I also take the Dragon Mark and take the Displacement enhancement. (nothing beats Displacement....lol)

I like the Dex to damage enhancements... and go Dex based. I start with 16 Dex and put all level up points into Dex. There may be better ways to build than I do..... But you want a High Ref save!

You want s high Ref save!

YOU WANT A HIGH REF SAVE!!!!!!

Point Blank Shot.

I usually take Improved Crit Ranged. and maybe slash.

Love Arcane Archer.
    Debating the best enhancments from AA to take. (all good..lol)

Can add the Tempest Ref saves enhancements if you want.

Faster sneaking and or sprint boost are also fun to have.

I also try to build for TWF too, but AA is so good I really never need to melee. But I choose to at times.. just for flavor....lol

Edit: oh... and I am much happier with a 14 Wisdom at creation. my real recommendation to others would be start with Wis14, then dump it when you do your LR (and most likely have a +6 Wis item)

I usually dump Cha... but UMD and Wild Empathy would benefit from a higher Cha.

...hmmmm.. that's about it.
    Just remember my DPS sucks... so be careful following my advice....lol

Edit edit: Undead, Giant, Evil Outsider, Elemental, Construct. If Deep Wood Sniper add Plant. Many other useful ones for epics, but keep in mind monsters that cannot be critted and have DR when choosing FEs. Elementals are especially annoying because of their DR.
    ok so I will re-think FE and add elemental. As for wis stat, i would definitely put some point into it but w/ the changes to guild buff( 4 hours and doesnt dispell plus +1 tome at lvl 3) will have 11 wis by lvl 4: enough for lvl1 ranger spell. have plenty of gear that can help w/ stat or can just buy from AH, help form guild.....what I am trying to say is that I am good on the wis front, ty for your concern.

skills, I try to fit in some spot and search but true-seeing usually work in heroic. already put 10 point in jump and some in balance. and yes I WANT REFLEX (my current life cleric have bad reflex)

I am now lvl 20, gonna lvl up a epic destiny and then tr so ty everyone for your help and hope the build come out fun

As final note: since I solo and group a lot I try to pick when to melee and when to ranged especially in groups.