Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Post New Player Questions

    Hello, I'm a completely new player to DDO who joined a few days ago. I'm a f2p player (With only income being monthly allowance, so my only source of TP is grinding )While I know most of the basic info for gameplay, I have a couple of questions. My current Character is an Elven level 1 Tempest Ranger/Level 1 Rogue still on Karthos.

    1. I heard Sarlona is one of the best RP servers, but I don't know if that is still true today? RP to me is part of the big draw of RPGs
    2. Is sarlona a ghost town?
    3. My current build is focusing on using light weapons like Rapiers, Scimitairs, and Longswords. I was wondering if any of the enhancements in the Rogue Assassin Enhancement tree would be worth picking up?

    Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Chaosraven1; 06-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.

  2. #2
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    6,512

    Default

    Sarlona has the most relaxed crowd of players. We also tend to find the bugs fastest. I think there are dedicated RP guilds on every server though. I have not followed any of them, but I have seen guild recruitment and weekly roll call threads on the forums. So if you check the new posts here, you should be able to find something pretty reliable.

    Every server will feel like a ghost town at certain times of the day. I play in the pacific time zone at 6pm, and most of the time there are a couple of dozen or more Pick Up Groups (pugs) always going. I have seen more going on during the day and weekends. Most other servers seem to be about the same when I do my weekly gold rolls, save for wayfinder, which has a much smaller population it seems (could be a time zone thing though).

    Of course I will throw my bias, play on Sarlona. But again, I dunno how frequent the RP guilds run.

    If you plan on being ranger/rogue only, then I would suggest picking up combat attacks to break up your attack chain and offer debuffs/instant kills while you dps trash. However, I haven't gotten to my assassin alts yet.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Relaxed meaning what exactly? Sorry, I'm a big newbie to the internet in general (didn't have wifi till two years ago, just dial-up), so to me relaxed could have several different meanings. Also, thanks for the advice, enhancement wise I can just experiment a lot, and branch out. Even though I don't get a lot of money, just might buy the 600 turbine points for the 4 character slots. Good move or bad? Glad to here that Sarlona was a good choice (appears that way at least ) Chose it because I love RP, and because the name sounded cool .Thanks for the advice you've given already.

    edit: And in case you haven't been able to tell by now, I'm a rambler.

  4. #4
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    6,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    Relaxed meaning what exactly? Sorry, I'm a big newbie to the internet in general (didn't have wifi till two years ago, just dial-up), so to me relaxed could have several different meanings. Also, thanks for the advice, enhancement wise I can just experiment a lot, and branch out. Even though I don't get a lot of money, just might buy the 600 turbine points for the 4 character slots. Good move or bad? Glad to here that Sarlona was a good choice (appears that way at least ) Chose it because I love RP, and because the name sounded cool .Thanks for the advice you've given already.

    edit: And in case you haven't been able to tell by now, I'm a rambler.
    It is all good. Relaxed meaning they typically don't have meltdowns when the group wipes or if someone dies while running a quest. Also most people run a set line of quests when they are going towards completionist, but peeps on sarlona don't seem to mind straying from it. Also the majority don't mind breaking streak bonuses as long as it means doing another quest instead of waiting around for a group to form.

    If you are grinding favor, I would wait for sales and go for things like that. A great buy would be something like the tangleroot content pack or the catacombs content pack since they pretty much give you 100 favor when you run them on elite. This way you can make a grinder character who's sole purpose is to get 100 favor (get 25 tp), be deleted, and then rebuilt to run 100 favor. After a while you can get something like vet status 2, which will make your starting characters lvl 7, which makes the favor runs easy. Or get an iconic, which starts at level 15, and do the same runs.

    However, when buying character slots, always wait until they are on sale. Save them tp's and buy a bunch of them at a time.

    Of course these are all my opinions. I am sure others have good paths and plans to grind easily and get stuff unlocked.

    As far as the assassin enhancements, yeah, you can experiement. If you do "/joinchannel1 help" (minus the quotations) in a new chat tab, you can see a server wide discussion channel where people offer help, join runs, etc. I am sure if you bring up that you are new, someone will unload loot on you. If not, I will, lol!

    Looking on the sarlona subforums, I found one guild from this year: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...anberg-Society


    And here is the sarlona sub forum: https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisp...Sarlona-Guilds

    No problem on the rambling, I get long-winded myself. And welcome to the game.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks, Although I'm still not off Korthos yet (some of the joys of being a teenager, limited income and limited time.) Looking forward to playing with you if I can!

  6. #6
    Community Member Nolo_Contendre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Welcome to ddo. Another thing for you to consider is grinding turbine points on each server. You will get a total of 125 turbine points the first time you hit 100 favor on each server. It's a little grindy, but lets you get a chance to try the other servers and earn a good number of points for free. What time do you normally play? There are several people here on tbe forums who are willing to help out with quests, or item farming.

  7. #7
    Community Member Psiandron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    I'm right here.
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolo_Contendre View Post
    Welcome to ddo. Another thing for you to consider is grinding turbine points on each server. You will get a total of 125 turbine points the first time you hit 100 favor on each server. It's a little grindy, but lets you get a chance to try the other servers and earn a good number of points for free. What time do you normally play? There are several people here on tbe forums who are willing to help out with quests, or item farming.
    With limited funds, this^ might be the best idea.

    As Nolo says, it's a good way to get to know the servers and get tp. Also, it's a good way to try different classes and builds. Do a little experimenting. After you've farmed favor up, you could then pick the server that you liked best and call that one home. Ofc, there's nothing saying that you can't play on more than one server regularly...it's your call.

    I did think that Seikojin gave you some good advice as well, esp. re buying on sale.

    Anywho, welcome to the game, and I hope that you enjoy yourself.
    Psi
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

  8. #8

    Default

    Welcome to the game!

    Most of the links in my signature (including the builds) are geared toward new players. Of particular interest to you might be The 100-Favor Dash and Adventure Pack Reviews.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks for all of the advice, my standard time of play varies, but usually is from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. EST. While I defiantly will try out different builds, I have always favored the shadowy blade and martial artist, and elves or humans (No idea why either) so part of that TP grinding is definitely going towards a monk. One of my problems as a teenager is only being able to play around an hour a day, so I normally do enjoy a very relaxed style of play. Haven't really gotten off Korthos yet but will be getting off of it on Thursday (tomorrow being computer-free day). However from what I have heard, Sarlona is probably for me. Thanks for all the advice, hope I can play with each of you sometime .

  10. #10
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    6,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    Thanks, Although I'm still not off Korthos yet (some of the joys of being a teenager, limited income and limited time.) Looking forward to playing with you if I can!
    Cool, you can friend seikojin, toy, or almuun since I am playing them the most frequently right now. I joined the help channel (/joinchannel help) and will keep an eye on it in case you pop in.

  11. #11
    Community Member Kasiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    Hello, I'm a completely new player to DDO who joined a few days ago. I'm a f2p player (With only income being monthly allowance, so my only source of TP is grinding )While I know most of the basic info for gameplay, I have a couple of questions. My current Character is an Elven level 1 Tempest Ranger/Level 1 Rogue still on Karthos.

    1. I heard Sarlona is one of the best RP servers, but I don't know if that is still true today? RP to me is part of the big draw of RPGs
    2. Is sarlona a ghost town?
    3. My current build is focusing on using light weapons like Rapiers, Scimitairs, and Longswords. I was wondering if any of the enhancements in the Rogue Assassin Enhancement tree would be worth picking up?

    Thanks for any help!
    1. Not my server.
    2. No.
    3. If you are still on Korthos, I probably shouldn't be picky..... but those aren't light weapons. I think I know what you mean, though. The Assassin Enhancement tree has a very, very good thing called knife specialization. But you must use knife-like weapons, specifically daggers and/or kukris, and you cannot take this until level 12. I used a variation on the Hunter's Knife build from this thread very recently and had a blast with it. Actual assassination enhancements probably are not going to be worthwhile for you as a multiclass character (If taking ranger levels, I think one should take at least 6 levels of ranger) but sneak attack damage would probably be a fine addition. Killer and Envenomed Blades can also be fun. I would stay away from enhancements with saves based on rogue levels and intelligence modifiers unless I was building specifically around those abilities. If you want to play an actual assassin, the most effective people I've played with were pure rogue with very high intelligence and gear/enhancements specifically for assassination (and I'm sure there are exceptions to this out there somewhere).

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    Cool, you can friend seikojin, toy, or almuun since I am playing them the most frequently right now. I joined the help channel (/joinchannel help) and will keep an eye on it in case you pop in.
    Toy? Almunn? Are those your other characters, or accounts? Also, when in help channel, or any channel, is it your user name, or character name? Also I saw the guild you posted in the Sarlona sub-forum, I might join it once I get some more adventures under my belt. Anyway, I was considering a one-time TP purchase just to become premium and get the two extra character slots so I can fulfill my dream of Quadruplet Elf Assassins (Again no idea why I'm thinking this ).

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasiddy View Post
    1. Not my server.
    2. No.
    3. If you are still on Korthos, I probably shouldn't be picky..... but those aren't light weapons. I think I know what you mean, though. The Assassin Enhancement tree has a very, very good thing called knife specialization. But you must use knife-like weapons, specifically daggers and/or kukris, and you cannot take this until level 12. I used a variation on the Hunter's Knife build from this thread very recently and had a blast with it. Actual assassination enhancements probably are not going to be worthwhile for you as a multiclass character (If taking ranger levels, I think one should take at least 6 levels of ranger) but sneak attack damage would probably be a fine addition. Killer and Envenomed Blades can also be fun. I would stay away from enhancements with saves based on rogue levels and intelligence modifiers unless I was building specifically around those abilities. If you want to play an actual assassin, the most effective people I've played with were pure rogue with very high intelligence and gear/enhancements specifically for assassination (and I'm sure there are exceptions to this out there somewhere).
    Thanks for the responses, reason i asked about Ghost Towns is because I keep on hearing that DDO is losing large amounts of player under the rugs and behind the sofas. As for the Assassin Enhancements, I can see your reasoning, will just have to build a Pure Rogue Assassin sometime. Also, I should have clarified my weapon choices, sorry.
    Last edited by Chaosraven1; 06-24-2014 at 11:08 PM.

  13. #13
    Community Member Rykka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    Toy? Almunn? Are those your other characters, or accounts? Also, when in help channel, or any channel, is it your user name, or character name? Also I saw the guild you posted in the Sarlona sub-forum, I might join it once I get some more adventures under my belt. Anyway, I was considering a one-time TP purchase just to become premium and get the two extra character slots so I can fulfill my dream of Quadruplet Elf Assassins (Again no idea why I'm thinking this ).

    edit:


    Thanks for the responses, reason i asked about Ghost Towns is because I keep on hearing that DDO is losing large amounts of player under the rugs and behind the sofas. As for the Assassin Enhancements, I can see your reasoning, will just have to build a Pure Rogue Assassin sometime. Also, I should have clarified my weapon choices, sorry.
    Yes DDO is old, it's rather more complex than WoW, it has more servers than are useful for the player base and a lot of the players have played for half a decade or more and have to be engaged to get out of their "I already did that" mindset. But it's a pretty great game none the less, esp if you can hook up with the good players. To do so, find the chat channel that people are talking in, don't just look for pugs. I'm not a Sorlonian but do a /advice comment in general chat asking how to join "the real chat channel". Talk to them.

    Don't monkey about with a garbage character except to figure out basic stuff. Your L1-20 should be something that has all its i's dotted buildwise and doesn't need special gear to get there on a 28pt build. Since you say you wanna do assassin, I'd go 2rogue/2palidin/16rogue. Good DPS, Good saves, UMD for healing and buffs, Trapping, Evasion. Hard to beat.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    Yes DDO is old, it's rather more complex than WoW, it has more servers than are useful for the player base and a lot of the players have played for half a decade or more and have to be engaged to get out of their "I already did that" mindset. But it's a pretty great game none the less, esp if you can hook up with the good players. To do so, find the chat channel that people are talking in, don't just look for pugs. I'm not a Sorlonian but do a /advice comment in general chat asking how to join "the real chat channel". Talk to them.

    Don't monkey about with a garbage character except to figure out basic stuff. Your L1-20 should be something that has all its i's dotted buildwise and doesn't need special gear to get there on a 28pt build. Since you say you wanna do assassin, I'd go 2rogue/2palidin/16rogue. Good DPS, Good saves, UMD for healing and buffs, Trapping, Evasion. Hard to beat.
    I will use that build for my assassin character, but I assume that the level 2 Rogue you have listed is really Ranger or Monk? Going to keep my current character, I heard that you could get good use out of a DEX-based Tempest Ranger.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default Some more questions

    After looking around at the game some more and watching some more videos, I now have even more questions.

    1. Is Voice chat as essential to the game as it looks?
    2. How do some of the higher level players build such massive damage stats? I've seen fighters do up to 839 damage in one strike (I assume the numbers above the mobs heads are damage numbers)?
    3. How much of an influence is powergaming, because the vibe I've been getting from the videos I've seen and the wiki articles seem to suggest that casual more RP or fun builds are not get popular?

    Thanks for all the advice given so far.

  16. #16
    Community Member Mercureal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Question 1: If you're playing in a group and trying to coordinate actions, it's incredibly useful, while maybe not absolutely essential. With the pace of the game, its hard to communicate just through typing, and some people miss or just ignore the party chat window. It's not as big a deal for simpler or easier quests, but it's pretty important for more complex quests. As a new player, if you're asking questions you may find a better response if you have voice.

    Question 2: Short answer, don't worry right now about how the higher level players accomplish certain things. That comes with game experience and gear. Longer answer - as you reach the higher levels, the power of certain abilities scale up a lot. And some powers in the various epic destinies allow for a lot of damage. The number you mention was probably a spell from a higher level caster, or a critical hit from a melee character with good gear and epic powers. As you play and develop more familiarity with the game mechanics, you'll eventually have a better understanding of how to achieve similar things.

    Question 3: I'm not sure popularity is the best term to use here. There is a wide range of difficulty levels in DDO, and most solid builds can complete most content, even if they're not totally optimized. You don't need a completely optimized character to succeed at any of the quests in the game
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

  17. #17
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    After looking around at the game some more and watching some more videos, I now have even more questions.

    1. Is Voice chat as essential to the game as it looks?
    2. How do some of the higher level players build such massive damage stats? I've seen fighters do up to 839 damage in one strike (I assume the numbers above the mobs heads are damage numbers)?
    3. How much of an influence is powergaming, because the vibe I've been getting from the videos I've seen and the wiki articles seem to suggest that casual more RP or fun builds are not get popular?

    Thanks for all the advice given so far.
    1. If you're not trying to lead a raid it's not really that big a deal. I generally only use voice chat with people I know otherwise I tend to type everything. You mentioned being interested in RP earlier, I would imagine having a mic would make it easier so you don't have to type as much.

    2. There are a lot of ways to boost your damage at higher levels especially once you get to 20+ with epic destinies. 839, for critical strike at least, is actually rather low for experienced Epic level characters.

    3. If you're running quests on normal or even hard any build will likely work just fine. If you're trying to solo quests on Elite at level or someday want to do Epic Elite quests (only available at level 20+) then build matters more. Basically I wouldn't worry about it too much while you're still new and learning the game. You can always start a new character who is more powergaming focused later or even reincarnate an existing character into a new build. (Don't worry about what reincarnation is right now, by the time you are ready for it you will likely know what it is)

  18. #18
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    22,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    ... Even though I don't get a lot of money, just might buy the 600 turbine points for the 4 character slots. Good move or bad? ....
    I'd recommend a minimum TP purchase (or do a single 1-month sub) when you can afford it. This bumps you permanently to Premium status.

    See also: http://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual


  19. #19
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    6,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    After looking around at the game some more and watching some more videos, I now have even more questions.

    1. Is Voice chat as essential to the game as it looks?
    2. How do some of the higher level players build such massive damage stats? I've seen fighters do up to 839 damage in one strike (I assume the numbers above the mobs heads are damage numbers)?
    3. How much of an influence is powergaming, because the vibe I've been getting from the videos I've seen and the wiki articles seem to suggest that casual more RP or fun builds are not get popular?

    Thanks for all the advice given so far.
    Toy and Almuun are character names of mine on Sarlona. As well as Seikojin. In chat anything (channels, tells, party) it will always be character name being shown. DDO does not do the account name appending that some other games do; hence unique character names.

    If you were to buy anything for cash, the starter kit would be a good deal when tp bundles aren't on sale. It gets you to premium, gets you some goodies, and iirc, gets you some points too.

    As far as your last questions: I would say having voice and hearing voice are pretty vital. Saying traps when your spot goes off is a life saver many times over. Also some leaders tend to use voice for calling our battle plans in real time. So that is another good reason for voice.

    Most high value damage comes from a really high mainstat (str) + additional weapon damage die (higher end weapons do 2d6 instead of 1d6) + base damage additions (items offering +8-10)+utilizing some epic destiny ability or enhancement ability that increases the damage. Then rolling a crit. Some crits do 3500 for melee attacks. And yes, it is a lot, and no, it doesn't kill what you hit with that amount. LOL

    On the forums, and in the game, many people consider non-powered up characters not-optimal. However, most sarlonians don't care about that. I think the general consensus is; not a soul stone which equals, doing damage/healing, which equals, useful in the group. Most of the elitist players tend to keep to separate groups and rarely reach out for someone they don't already know. Most of the talked about builds are pumped up with a large variety of things you don't get out of the gate on Korthos island. However one the main draws to ddo is customized builds. And most are viable in heroic, if not all builds are viable in heroic. I have seen weird builds that survived, so no matter what you make, you could survive to level 20+.

  20. #20
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosraven1 View Post
    3. How much of an influence is powergaming, because the vibe I've been getting from the videos I've seen and the wiki articles seem to suggest that casual more RP or fun builds are not get popular?
    Bear in mind the forums tend to be dominated by vets who are focused on - some might say "obsessed with" - the endgame performance of their toons, specifically in the hardest epic elite (EE) content. As such, they're looking for optimal configurations with maximum efficiency; which, due to the occasionally poorly-balanced game mechanics in DDO, means certain Flavor of the Month (FotM) builds tend to percolate their way to the top, with everything else being seen as sub-optimal.

    Which is a roundabout way of saying: yes, there are a lot of powergamers, but they represent the minority of the DDO population (albeit a very vocal one). Thanks to DDO's adjustable difficulties, the vast majority of content is not so challenging that you need a minmaxed character to plow thru it. If and when you become an obsessed DDO powergamer, there will be plenty of time to find or come up with our own powerbuild. In the interim, I suggest you have fun while learning the game.

    That said, DDO is still a game about killing monsters and surviving long enough to take their stuff; so it's a good idea to do some research first into whatever class(es) or playstyles you most want to pursue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload