Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 129
  1. #101
    Community Member Powskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    1990
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I started a thread asking people not to associate with dupers and was shocked by how many people replied with angry comments at me. Apparently dupers are spread so far within DDO that people view them as "normal". They have friends and guildies who are dupers and they don't want to "dis" them. Amazing.

    When people are sticking up for cheaters you know the game is in trouble.
    yea,i seen some accused trying to redeem their names after card scandal...suddenly puttin up the friendly join ''all welcome'' lfms.they seem to have lots of rare stuff to trade,in big stacks,but that's just coincedence right?.

  2. #102
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    players with legit 100 stacks of rare stuff exist;but they have spent time in-game.Can't turbine compare against a minimum standard ,it would take to aquire so much stuff.I feel it would be reflective of deciet or not,if they can check the time played per account that is suspect.Also I seen a few rare players skip all chests totally in majority of dungeons ...hmmm inventory to full of 100 stacks?
    Once you identify players who have an extraordinary amount of something(s), there are lots of things like this you could check. You could probably even make a script to check it for you and return a report.

  3. #103
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I detected a hint of irony which as I said I don't understand since it is quite reasonable to investigate duping. I suppose that once you have caught the duper you would want to do some IP investigation to be sure he never comes back...
    Just for the info:

    While I indeed, disargee with witchhunts (and some of the stuff that I read here is dangerously close to it, or flatout it), the IP part meant: check other accounts that logged repeatedly from the same IP. I am sure you figure that one out on your own.

    That said, While I dont really care about dupping at this point (lets face it - the economy is propably ruined beyond repair), I do get why other people mind it. I did too, when the first dupapalooza started. You can propably find some -rather hysterical and full of torches and spiky things- posts and threads I started back then. I even remember how I went completely mad and made rather insulting thread towards Tolero and her "Extreme Prejudice" after we all found out that the real punishements were rather..... timid. And I got infraction points for it that I deserved.

    The thing is: I started taking the game more lightly (RL happened) and just logg these days to enjoy the game. I want to enjoy bard as my next TR, I mostly solo or run with ppl I know or pug raids anyway, so I dont really care about who has what (worst case scenario - they will have better shinies when we raid together). I lost any believe in the fact that duppers and dupped goods can ever be purged from the game and decided to stop caring about it.

    Sadly, when more punishements and bans were handed out, I lost some friends (from the friend list) on the server. Were some of them dupping? Propably. Were some of them innocent? I believe they were with my heart. And you cannot prove otherwise.

    In the end, I do understand your point of view and points of view of some other people in this thread. But I disagree for simple reason - I care much more about having people to group with then for punishing dupers. And as some "pitchfork and torch" person responded to one of my previous posts, when Turbine starts doing something about it, some innocent non-duping people will get caught in the fire.

    I do understand that you are looking at it differently. I hope you knwo understand my POW (which doesnt mean you have to agree with it).
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

  4. #104
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    the IP part meant: check other accounts that logged repeatedly from the same IP. I am sure you figure that one out on your own.
    Yes, I don't like to talk about the details

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    That said, While I dont really care about dupping at this point (lets face it - the economy is propably ruined beyond repair), I do get why other people mind it. I did too, when the first dupapalooza started. You can propably find some -rather hysterical and full of torches and spiky things- posts and threads I started back then. I even remember how I went completely mad and made rather insulting thread towards Tolero and her "Extreme Prejudice" after we all found out that the real punishements were rather..... timid. And I got infraction points for it that I deserved.

    The thing is: I started taking the game more lightly (RL happened) and just logg these days to enjoy the game. I want to enjoy bard as my next TR, I mostly solo or run with ppl I know or pug raids anyway, so I dont really care about who has what (worst case scenario - they will have better shinies when we raid together). I lost any believe in the fact that duppers and dupped goods can ever be purged from the game and decided to stop caring about it.

    Sadly, when more punishements and bans were handed out, I lost some friends (from the friend list) on the server. Were some of them dupping? Propably. Were some of them innocent? I believe they were with my heart. And you cannot prove otherwise.

    In the end, I do understand your point of view and points of view of some other people in this thread. But I disagree for simple reason - I care much more about having people to group with then for punishing dupers. And as some "pitchfork and torch" person responded to one of my previous posts, when Turbine starts doing something about it, some innocent non-duping people will get caught in the fire.

    I do understand that you are looking at it differently. I hope you knwo understand my POW (which doesnt mean you have to agree with it).
    I understand your point and I do hope that Turbine doesn't just ban people for having a certain amount of items. That certainly wouldn't be fair. But there is nothing wrong with looking for people with a certain number of items (since duping is all about increasing your number of items) and then investigating to see how they got those items. And I hope that they permaban "career" dupers but someone who might have only done it a small amount maybe they should do a small ban, remove the duped items, and put them on a "watch list". That way we hopefully won't lose too many players.

  5. #105
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Your welcome.

    1. Criteria for checking that kind of stuff is # lives, # years active, and # quests run that supply them.

    2. And you know what? Maybe with the strength by which you are defending this type of behavior, maybe you are indeed duping.

    3. Being a packrat or a hoarder rarely turns out well.

    4. And when it comes to cleaning it up, it will be the innocent who will suffer along with the guilty. Because by that time, the weeds will have so firmly tangled themselves with the flowers that it will be near impossible to pull one without uprooting the other. So better this gets taken care of now before it all gets way out of hand.

    Sorry about your friend. However, it was the inevitable inconsequence of everyone saying nothing about the activity that spawned the reaction you didn’t like.


    5. Blah, blah, blah.

    Ever heard about this thing called “e-mail”…?
    Shortened and divided into paragraphs for my comfort:

    1. While that would somehow work, How would you factor that someone just gave said player something? Generally, when someone in my guild needs something, he just types it in guildchat and someone will try to help. Well... it used to be like that some time ago, when we were a small guild anyway. I think you get what I mean anyway.¨

    2. And it begins. Do you have your own pitchforks, troches, tar and feathers, or should I provide? :-) Seriously, do you think I would be drawing attention to myself if I was cheating? I may be zealous sometimes, but I like to think about myself as not being stupid... More text relevant to this in paragraph 4.

    3. I am not so arrogant to judge how other people like to play the game and how they should play it. (but we do have one person in our guild that TRs into meeles EXCLUSIVELY - he has to have like 15 pastlives and all are FTR - PAL - BARB only. But hey, as long as he is having fun...)

    4. Kill em all, God will know his own. This is exactly the reason why mine and your opinions differ.

    5. Ahem... have you EVER tried to contact Turbine via email about anything serious? I did, when I bought the super uber package of MOTU, somehow, I wasnt given the 2k TP I was supposed to get with it. After two weeks, I gave up. Calling them would cost me as much as the TP anyway.
    Last edited by viktorserak; 06-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

  6. #106
    2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    gamertown usa
    Posts
    7,435

    Default

    Man, everyone here loooves duped items.

    The only way duping items in the virtual world can go unchecked and un fettered is if the duping broke timestamps on items and generated new item id keys. If they merged the key and time stamping into one algorithm they may be able to track down duping very easily and just remove said items from the world before they move to someone else. Because exchanging ownership can alter that id.

    Currency is a harder one to work against because it is item ids and a bucket id. Without logging transactions, they wouldn't be able to remove the duped currency without wiping all other currency in that bucket. Again, exchange of duped currency could wipe/alter the id for it, making tracking impossible.

    At this point, if a bug that causes duping cannot be fixed (it breaks too much of the game), we as a community have to seek dupers and report them.

    I guess if the AH listed the sellers character name, it would be a LOT easier to track them down.

  7. #107
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post

    I guess if the AH listed the sellers character name, it would be a LOT easier to track them down.
    That would be fantastic (A) and its never going to happen (B).

    A: It would really work against the dupers and would make turbine life easier and would spare innocent ppl.

    B: We could contact the seller directly and unless he/she needed the shards for the shards themselves, we could strike a deal with them without paying the AH fee or trading them directly the item they want.

    I am supporting this! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

  8. #108
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    I hope a Dev is following this and Turbine takes those ingots from you and you end up out 221 AS. Those are obviously duped ingots and allow people to get things without having run the raid.
    They are in my mail from the ASAH under character Slarden on Sarlona along with 5000 shadow scales and 5000 fire dragon scales I obtained for 90 AS per stack from the ASAH. I'll leave them there for a few days unless a guildy needs something right away.

    I followed all the rules and obtained my AS fairly and spent it fairly using the game mechanics that Turbine set up. Turbine made a little profit from my transaction. I expected our ship to cost more so I have stockpiled more AS than I needed before U22. I have no idea what to use the extra AS for. If Turbine feels I should be banned for buying things legitimately for my guildies I will accept it and find something else to do.

    If they aren't going to police the ASAH I have no plans to do it. I will not take responsibility for knowing what is legit and what isn't on the ASAH. This basically means I can never buy any ingredient/collectible ever from the plat AH or the ASAH because the entire system is tainted. The same goes for any item on the ASAH because dupers could have accepted items in exchange for dup'd good so they can sell those on the AH or ASAH. If Turbine thinks it is wrong to buy things that are possibly dup'd they should remove those items completely from the AH and ASAH and make them temporarily untradable.

    I won't buy any raid timers or xp stones from people or the AH/ASAH because I feel that takes money away from Turbine they rightly deserve and earned honestly.

    I don't know what the fair price would be for ingots and scales - we will never know because the market has been tainted and will never recover for those. All I know is people in my guild are mostly casual and they don't understand how people are able to get these items so easily. I don't have the heart to tell them about <fight club> which may ruin their game experience. It's easier for me to just help them get some better weapons and avoid the subject entirely.

    Twisted logic? Quite possibly, but this has been going on for a very long time and Turbine has no answers for it.

  9. #109
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    I guess if the AH listed the sellers character name, it would be a LOT easier to track them down.
    Just because you can't see the seller's name doesn't mean Turbine can't see it and track them.

  10. #110
    2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Me think you missed something....
    No I know you were being facetious. It was more of a tag along comment with the addition as to why they cannot accurately check now.
    Officer of Renowned

  11. #111
    2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Just because you can't see the seller's name doesn't mean Turbine can't see it and track them.
    You are mistakenly assuming the underlying code is reasonable and not a monster of spaghetti and nonsense
    Officer of Renowned

  12. #112
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B0ltdrag0n View Post
    You are mistakenly assuming the underlying code is reasonable and not a monster of spaghetti and nonsense
    I'm not assuming anything - I didn't say it was anything one way or another. I stated a possibility.

  13. #113
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Shortened and divided into paragraphs for my comfort:

    1. While that would somehow work, How would you factor that someone just gave said player something? Generally, when someone in my guild needs something, he just types it in guildchat and someone will try to help. Well... it used to be like that some time ago, when we were a small guild anyway. I think you get what I mean anyway.¨

    2. And it begins. Do you have your own pitchforks, troches, tar and feathers, or should I provide? :-) Seriously, do you think I would be drawing attention to myself if I was cheating? I may be zealous sometimes, but I like to think about myself as not being stupid... More text relevant to this in paragraph 4.

    3. I am not so arrogant to judge how other people like to play the game and how they should play it. (but we do have one person in our guild that TRs into meeles EXCLUSIVELY - he has to have like 15 pastlives and all are FTR - PAL - BARB only. But hey, as long as he is having fun...)

    4. Kill em all, God will know his own. This is exactly the reason why mine and your opinions differ.

    5. Ahem... have you EVER tried to contact Turbine via email about anything serious? I did, when I bought the super uber package of MOTU, somehow, I wasnt given the 2k TP I was supposed to get with it. After two weeks, I gave up. Calling them would cost me as much as the TP anyway.

    My assumption is that you’re honest. However, when you start placing exceptions before the rule, that is the first best tactic of the cowards who protect people who do bad things.

    People with large stacks of A, B, C, or D and have been on the game for years, have numerous runs in content that provides the duped items are relatively easy to weed out. And, to be frank, there is a reason why criminal activity tapers off after a specific age. You get old, you get wiser (or beaten down by the world), and you’re more likely to follow the rules.

    However, using exceptions to the rule to justify bad behavior is like being a Human Shield for some tin pot dictator. You really want to throw-in with a guy who would otherwise kill you, and probably kill more of the people that you’re seeking to protect than the people looking to take them out? That’s insane. Historically, the final calculation is that X number of innocent people will be harmed regardless. It is a matter of figuring out what will have the least amount of impact over the long run. And if some people get labeled as dupers who are not, then that’s just what is going to happen. At least in this instance, you can petition Turbine and make your case. And you would have a good case.

    The stoner who joined last year, and has 3 runs in VON? They’re gonna get pinched. For sure.

    As to contacting Turbine…yeah, not the best. But that’s becoming the norm nowadays everywhere (unless you are a Ugandan Prince who has deposited a hefty fortune in an overseas bank, and they need you to send them a paltry sum of money to release it to you…then you get immediate response).

  14. #114
    2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I'm not assuming anything - I didn't say it was anything one way or another. I stated a possibility.
    Stating a possibility with certainty of intent is an assumption.
    Officer of Renowned

  15. #115

  16. #116
    2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    No, it is not.
    O_o

    Kay.
    Last edited by B0ltdrag0n; 06-25-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
    Officer of Renowned

  17. #117
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Sadly, when more punishements and bans were handed out, I lost some friends (from the friend list) on the server. Were some of them dupping? Propably. Were some of them innocent? I believe they were with my heart. And you cannot prove otherwise.
    The heart knows what the heart knows.

    (< - not afraid to turn this thread into a Hallmark Channel movie)

  18. #118
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    They can datamine to find out who is legit and who isnt. No speculation based on quantities is required.
    which is why they have never used Datamining, and instead use humans who frequently make errors and only **** off honest players and amuse the dupers who know how to launder the items around mule accounts enough to be unnoticed.

    Its well known that is exactly what happened last time they tried to deal out so called justice to exploiters. They dont have the manpower or ability to datamine, and instead just look randomly through players characters for what they deem red flag quantities and delete them, often missing true duped items and instead deleting loads of mats that honestly where just taking up space anyways.

    This idea that Turbine could Datamine to do things right is alot like the idea that world peace will one day magically happen. Neither is even remotely in the realm of actual possibility. Only fanbois think turbine is more capable then that.

  19. #119
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B0ltdrag0n View Post
    No I know you were being facetious. It was more of a tag along comment with the addition as to why they cannot accurately check now.
    My deepest apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

  20. #120
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Your welcome.

    Criteria for checking that kind of stuff is # lives, # years active, and # quests run that supply them.

    And you know what? Maybe with the strength by which you are defending this type of behavior, maybe you are indeed duping.




    Being a packrat or a hoarder rarely turns out well.



    And how do you know he didn’t dupe?

    Did you have access to his inventory, on all of his alts? Do you have an accounting for all of the quests said individual ran?

    The answer would be: no. And if he / she was THAT stupid to allow someone else on to their account, they deserve some of the grief they got.

    Then again, let’s assume that you are indeed correct, and said individual is not a duper. This is what happens when this type of activity goes on unchecked. The innocent get busted with the guilty.

    You know how Detroit became the city is it today (and yes, I live near there)? The incremental growth of crime fueled by apathy, and permissiveness. It didn’t happen in a day – thirty, forty years in fact – but was allowed to go on with only a minority of people to stand up and make it stop. They were outnumbered not just by the bad guys, but by the people who either cheered the bad guys on, or were too busy to take notice that the streets of their city were being taken over. The government was too busy with other things to make the concerted effort to clean up the streets (mainly politics and corruption), and hence did very little to stem the oncoming tide.

    Kinda like what we have here. Turbine put off fixing the duping situation to focus on “other things.” People duped openly, people supported them, and the people complaining about it were largely shouted down.

    And when it comes to cleaning it up, it will be the innocent who will suffer along with the guilty. Because by that time, the weeds will have so firmly tangled themselves with the flowers that it will be near impossible to pull one without uprooting the other. So better this gets taken care of now before it all gets way out of hand.

    Sorry about your friend. However, it was the inevitable inconsequence of everyone saying nothing about the activity that spawned the reaction you didn’t like.

    So, sit there, stamp your feet, hold your breath, or whether you want to do about duping. Doing nothing is only going to make it worse.

    Again, this is a video game. I have a hard time getting emotionally invested in this as it relates to DDO. Obviously, you’ve got some sort of emotional connection to all of this. But in the larger scope, this is about human behavior, and how evil progressively inserts its way into our lives. And the audacity of your response is that you make me me out to be the bad guy here.

    So none of what you posted surprises me much.



    Blah, blah, blah.

    Ever heard about this thing called “e-mail”…?
    Uhm dude I hate to tell you but unless you run around detroit as its personal batman, you are by batmans view one of the bad guys. Only those who actually take it to true evil face to face are not themselves tainted by it. There is no such thing as a little good, there is such a thing as a little bad. Goodness is a pristine absolute, evil is dirt that blood stain that wont wash out, the smudge of lipstick from a mistress on an unfaithful mans shirt collar, a man claiming to be one of the good guys when he does just as every other sheep in society does and sit there in their home playing online games and reading game forums.

    Yes you are a bad guy, you are betraying your own, the players in favor of the corporation. This is the ideal of the corporate empire and the dictators that will run them in the long term plan that we are all blithely marching in step to across the world. Games like this are no different then the way games and booze where used by the SS party to keep their soldiers mellow in the evenings after a day of hard slaughter of innocent people.

    So trying to act a white knight and attack others while taking umbrage with being called out for your hypocrisy is just laughable.

    You want to be a hero, go put on a cape and some tights and die in an ally trying to save some random woman from a mugging or rape. Until you do that your not a hero, your at best an employee doing your job if in a service industry like the police, military, or medical.

    Let me put it this way the pair of trailer trash neo nazi who happily accepted being sentenced to prison for murdering a convicted sex offender are more heroic in their actions then a DDO forumite white knight ever will be.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload