Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Buying duped items

So I was wandering by the AH the other day and decided to check the price on Flawless Red Dragon Scales. I know these used to be worth in the neighborhood of half a million plat, but somebody had a stack of 20 listed for just 860k

I have NO idea whether this is a good buy or not anymore, but I was sort of thinking of buying it. But it had occurred to me that its probably duped, and I don't want to get my account banned for innocently buying someone else's cheat.

So... do I just avoid suspiciously low-priced stacks of items, or is it safe?

The economy in the game is ruined as is. Buying stuff like scales, ingots, phogs, etc. won't impact anything at all. The market has become so diluted with duped items you can get anything for cheap.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Member

Well yes but I had heard stories of players getting banned just for buying the duped stuff.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjwizard View Post
    So I was wandering by the AH the other day and decided to check the price on Flawless Red Dragon Scales. I know these used to be worth in the neighborhood of half a million plat, but somebody had a stack of 20 listed for just 860k

I have NO idea whether this is a good buy or not anymore, but I was sort of thinking of buying it. But it had occurred to me that its probably duped, and I don't want to get my account banned for innocently buying someone else's cheat.

So... do I just avoid suspiciously low-priced stacks of items, or is it safe?
    Based on past responses, if you are buying from the AH you shouldn't have to worry about Turbine doing anything to you for buying duplicated items. It is the sellers that they go after.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    The market has become so diluted with duped items you can get anything for cheap.
    And most dupers don't sell for plat. Astral shards are their preferred currency.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    And most dupers don't sell for plat. Astral shards are their preferred currency.
    Probably spot on. Plat as a currency isn't worth much now days. At best, you're probably looking at second hand scales - someone bought it for cheaper and trying to resell it at a higher price to make a quick buck.

And yes, people do get banned for buying items on the AH. The choice is yours whether you want to take that risk.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

There is the possibility that other things are better than RDS armors now. Folks might just be unloading their stock for low prices to get rid of it... Just a thought
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

2015 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

The prices overall on the AH are totally off the scale. However, I guess I would have to think it is the sellers not the buyers that would be caught. How could you tell if an item was duped from the AH?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    There is the possibility that other things are better than RDS armors now. Folks might just be unloading their stock for low prices to get rid of it... Just a thought
    I'd be swapping them for a http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cormyri...onscale_Docent Cormyrian docent... which I don't think are all that popular. I'm on my first real trip through the epic levels and trying to obtain better gear for my poor level 24 artificer...

FRDS were priced so high because it was the only way to craft the best epic armor in the game. Today they are valued so less because there are a lot more epic armor choices and some are easier to craft. The red armor is no longer considered to be the best.

Not only that, but I have noticed some items that were on P2WAH eventually end up on AH. Sometimes people price too high or just can't "give" it away. Or some people just price too low and don't know the real market value of goods. I've bought a few nice EE items on AH for less than 100k, but regularly sold on P2WAH for 100 or more in AS.

Community Member

I don't think anyone gets banned just for buying duped items. I've heard that story, and it's always a friend of a guildy of a cousin or something. If someone was banned, they were probably using the AH to shift stuff and were buying their own duped items.
    Graceana, 28 rogue (TRing like crazy) ~ Xiya, 12 ranger/8 fighter ~ Shinshi, 28 monk ~ Ayaxi, 20 rogue (TRing) ~ Saravi, 28 cleric ~ Talvi, 20 druid
    Zinzie, 18 sorcerer/2 paladin ~ Kishori, 20 bard ~ Sanziana, 20 ranger ~ Faunia, 9 druid/9 monk/2 fighter/8 epic ~ Viven, 16 bard/4 fighter/8 epic
    Cliodna, 18 wizard/2 rogue (TRing) ~ Serenwyn, 15 bard/3 fighter/2 rogue ~ Duisteri, 12 monk/5 wizard/3 rogue/4 epic
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Buying stuff like scales, ingots, phogs
    Where can I buy Phlogistons?
    Server: Khyber.
    Leader of the Dragon Renaissance Brotherhood.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    Where can I buy Phlogistons?
    I might know a guy, but you'll need lots of cash, and bring some tasty hams. Don't ask.

Meet me behind the Dinghy at midnight. Password is "roast halfling."

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjwizard View Post
    I'd be swapping them for a http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cormyri...onscale_Docent Cormyrian docent... which I don't think are all that popular. I'm on my first real trip through the epic levels and trying to obtain better gear for my poor level 24 artificer...
    Still pretty good, don't get me wrong. The new shiny, sparkly stuff is where it's at at the moment. As soon as new sparkly shiny stuff is out, expect prices to drop even more. Personally wouldn't automatically think RDS are dupped; unless there's stacks of 100's on the AH, then I'd be suspect.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

People also run Von 5 and 6 a lot for XP nowadays, so even without duping red scales are just more common and less valued. So price goes down.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

The economy is completely ruined for anything baggable.

I know at least one person on Sarlona was banned for buying things but he also tried selling those items for a profit and that is likely what got him into trouble.

Honestly it's hard to care when the integrity of the game has been compromised so often and for so long, but I hope Turbine can get this under control. Patching doesn't seem to fix it - one thing is patched and another breaks introducing new <fight club> opportunities.

I feel bad for the Turbine staff. They've done so many good things and they lose revenue because of these bugs.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    The economy is completely ruined for anything baggable.

I know at least one person on Sarlona was banned for buying things but he also tried selling those items for a profit and that is likely what got him into trouble.

Honestly it's hard to care when the integrity of the game has been compromised so often and for so long, but I hope Turbine can get this under control. Patching doesn't seem to fix it - one thing is patched and another breaks introducing new <fight club> opportunities.

I feel bad for the Turbine staff. They've done so many good things and they lose revenue because of these bugs.
    They cannot fix it.

Its that simple.

It is not even really their fault - DDO runs on antiquated code that is, sadly, very easily exploited. It does not really matter what turbine devs do, they cannot change the base code of this game (well, they can, but they wont do it for 8 years old game with so complex structure that it is called spaghetti monster) and thus, they cannot stop exploiting.

They can make it harder or easier. But in the end, they will always be a way to exploit.

Me, honestly, I would REALLY wish they stopped trying to fix it. Because now, I cannot have open bag and bank at the same time, I have waiting time on gather all button for bags, I cannot have opened any crafting interface and bag.... its painfull. It is damaging to my QoL in this game.

And it fixes nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Its also a hireling, it needs buffs to figure out what end the food goes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Oh and Lol - Fortitude 57, Reflex 64, Will 55 {Godlike Saves!}.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCB View Post
    There are players that I wish could be improved to the point of being a hire.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    People also run Von 5 and 6 a lot for XP nowadays, so even without duping red scales are just more common and less valued. So price goes down.
    People run VON 5 for XP, not VON 6.
    Server: Khyber.
    Leader of the Dragon Renaissance Brotherhood.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    Still pretty good, don't get me wrong. The new shiny, sparkly stuff is where it's at at the moment. As soon as new sparkly shiny stuff is out, expect prices to drop even more. Personally wouldn't automatically think RDS are dupped; unless there's stacks of 100's on the AH, then I'd be suspect.
    I did actually see a 100 stack on there today, but the seller wanted 2 mill for it(max price on the regular AH). But then that actually comes out to 200k each, more than the 150k folks were selling individual scales for.

Anyway I am still debating: Cormyrian Red Docent vs... ?. What is the ? I do not know, I just don't know the epic gear well enough to say, but today I found another 20 stack for 650k, which is not a lot given what I have banked. If my account gets banned I plan on raising a rather enormous stink.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    They cannot fix it.

Its that simple.

It is not even really their fault - DDO runs on antiquated code that is, sadly, very easily exploited. It does not really matter what turbine devs do, they cannot change the base code of this game (well, they can, but they wont do it for 8 years old game with so complex structure that it is called spaghetti monster) and thus, they cannot stop exploiting.
    There's one way to fix it... Hire a DBA who can write a simple SELECT query and then ban everyone with 5,000+ phlogs or commendations or whatever. Or give every item in the game a unique key, then ban anyone who has items with duplicate keys (make sure AH checks to make sure you can't sell items with the same key)

And announce they are banning dupers. And announce how many they ban every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast