Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inventory Management: A Fresh Hell

So, against better judgement, I decide to do some Cannith Crafting today. There's something I want to make and I need a few more levels to attempt it.

I go through my stack of green bags to find the one with my essences.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Eyeballs and stones from Xoriat. Not it.
    Open bank.
    Wait for TR cache to load.
    Put bag back.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Cannith Challenge ingredients. Not it.
    Open bank.
    Put bag back.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Festival stuff. Not it.
    Open bank.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Epic seals and shards. Not it.
    Open bank.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Shroud ingredients. Not it.
    Open bank.
    Put bag back.

Pull out a large bag.
    Open it.
    Bank closes.
    Eveningstar Challenge ingredients. Not it.
    Open bank.
    Put bag back.

That's pretty tedious and annoying to read, isn't it? Actually doing it is worse, because I can copy and paste that section of text ten times while waiting for the TR cache to load AGAIN.

This new "close the bank and every bag" UI is insanely annoying. No, the shared ingredient bank isn't the answer, it is pitifully small, has no organization and still requires a lot of manual moving stuff back and forth. For crying out loud, the least you can do is let us label our bags so we can find our stuff that you keep creating for system after system.

Complaint #2 for whoever's running things:

We didn't ask for new guild ships.

In all of the threads that get posted here, no one ever said, please make our guildships more complicated and useless. They did ask repeatedly for a "buff bar" button and buffs that last longer and pause in public. That alone would have made a lot of people happy. I can tell the art department had a field day with the new buff areas ... they are creative and cute. But, like the Hall of Heroes, it is annoying to walk through all these cute little rooms looking for what I need. And it no longer makes me think of a ship in any way. If you guys had created FR guild lodges and put them over there and left Eberron airships alone... but that didn't happen.

But I used to think of my ship as my "home". I logged off there. I returned there between quests to sell, repair, grab stuff from my bank, grab a dirty kobold or some roasted boar shank and get the XP shrine on my way back out. It was a convenient place to handle mundane stuff like gearing and cleaning out my bags. Now when I want to switch stuff between characters, I have to zone from the deck of the cold, empty (always empty) top deck of the ship to get to my "quality of life" amenities like the bank so I can be annoyed by it snapping shut repeatedly.

Where we used to have guildies hanging out on the main deck, there's no one now. There's no point. We used to /wave and /flex and /bow at each other and steal people's training dummy buff generally act silly... but no one's there. It is no longer a convenient place to sell and repair. Hanging out in the crowded basement... well, no one really does that. It's depressing. I guess you guys thought we'd spend hours strolling through the mall that our ship turned into but people hit the button and leave.
    Last edited by Galeria; 06-22-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

It, um, didn't occur to you to take ALL the bags out at once, check them, and then put ALL the wrong ones back? It'd save you some steps, at least.

Not that I'm saying that the opening/closing thing isn't annoying . . . forget the bank, it's worst when you actually go to craft something. You can't drag stuff from bags to a crafting station or altar now, because if you open a bag the altar closes and vice versa.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

However, the bag searching need not be quite so tedious:

• Step 1: open bank & remove all suspect bags.
    • Step 2: open all suspect bags until you find the right one.
    • Step 3: open bank and return all unneeded bags.
    Done.

A few bag tips to keep it even simpler than the above three steps:

• 1 Small Bag holds all unbound Shroud Ings - makes finding the Shroud bag easy if it's the only Small Bag.

• 1 Large Bag each for Scrolls/Seals/Shards has worked well for me. Keeping them grouped in the shared bank, and separated from any other bags by at least one item (any will do) makes identifying them easy.

• Enabling Auto Gather puts a visually identifiable mark on a bag. Having 1 Large Bag for commonly accessed Ings (ie Essences & Tradeables) with this mark makes it easy to identify without hassle.

• Have another Large Bag without Auto Gather enabled for all the stuff you neither use nor toss, ie Marks of This or That from Lord's March quests, junk from the Madness quests etc.

Using the above system, I keep 6 bags in my shared bank (5 Large, 1 Small) and never have to wonder "Now which bag did put that (whatever) in..."
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

And the problem all of these new inventory/bag/bank restrictions were put in place to solve, wasn't even solved.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    However, the bag searching need not be quite so tedious:

• Step 1: open bank & remove all suspect bags.
    • Step 2: open all suspect bags until you find the right one.
    • Step 3: open bank and return all unneeded bags.
    Done.

A few bag tips to keep it even simpler than the above three steps:

• 1 Small Bag holds all unbound Shroud Ings - makes finding the Shroud bag easy if it's the only Small Bag.

• 1 Large Bag each for Scrolls/Seals/Shards has worked well for me. Keeping them grouped in the shared bank, and separated from any other bags by at least one item (any will do) makes identifying them easy.

• Enabling Auto Gather puts a visually identifiable mark on a bag. Having 1 Large Bag for commonly accessed Ings (ie Essences & Tradeables) with this mark makes it easy to identify without hassle.

• Have another Large Bag without Auto Gather enabled for all the stuff you neither use nor toss, ie Marks of This or That from Lord's March quests, junk from the Madness quests etc.

Using the above system, I keep 6 bags in my shared bank (5 Large, 1 Small) and never have to wonder "Now which bag did put that (whatever) in..."
    He says large but I expect he means the medium exclusive vendor purchased bags. Meaning (s)he can't remove them all at once.
    I keep all my stuff in the medium , exclusive bags as well.

Still deciding if this is supposed to be a method to force us to buy bags or a unintended consequence of the fix they put in place for the duping that was happening. I really don't want to TP bags and couldn't / wouldn't dupe even if I knew how.

Agreed about the ships. They are so empty and dark. Why not just put guild homes in Eveningstar, or better yet spend the time and resources on something else completely. There are threads posted all the time about how screwed up loot is, and enhancements, bugs, etc. etc. And you're right; nobody has complained about airships needing to be redesigned... because they didn't need to be, it was a waste of time. The buff button was good, and maybe add some more guild levels and a couple new buffs and that would've been more than enough.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Quote Originally Posted by Xioden View Post
    And the problem all of these new inventory/bag/bank restrictions were put in place to solve, wasn't even solved.
    lol, so fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    That's pretty tedious and annoying to read, isn't it? Actually doing it is worse, because I can copy and paste that section of text ten times while waiting for the TR cache to load AGAIN.

This new "close the bank and every bag" UI is insanely annoying. No, the shared ingredient bank isn't the answer, it is pitifully small, has no organization and still requires a lot of manual moving stuff back and forth. For crying out loud, the least you can do is let us label our bags so we can find our stuff that you keep creating for system after system.
    The next part is to take out 30 ingredients while the placement keep jumping around and you have to scroll down all over again each time.

People ask for challenge? well we sure got one! (Challenge = Fun)
    ~Miahoo all around!~

To all my friends: I Troll! Deal with it! You still hate me!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Xioden View Post
    In addition to the fail solution, I've had a couple of random people open up & immediately close trade windows with me while I'm chilling at the bank, looking through my TR cache for some gear. It happened so fast I don't know who did it, but it's obvious he thought it was funny to force my bank window to close via trading.

Turbine you need to fix this now please. Not 'some future update'. Inventory management in DDO was atrocious before, now it's crossed over into some as-yet-to-be-named realm of terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Hi,

Agreed on almost all points, OP.

Inventory management is even more of a chore now. I came close to buying larger bags recently to make it less painful, then stopped myself because it seemed wrong to reward the company's bad approach to storage. Besides, even if you do spring for larger bags, it by no means solves all of the problems.

Longer lasting buffs and a get all buffs bar would have been more than enough for me as improvements on the guild front. It seems like far too much effort was expended on the other changes to ships; effort which could have been better spent elsewhere. I don't actually spend any time anywhere on the ship other than in the cargo hold, where I do like to lurk.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Inventory management sucks. It was always poor now it it worse, it is constantly frustrating.

This change to the game sucks and makes the game less fun.

I took a week away to get some perspective and the perspective I found what that I wish I hadn't bought +6 tomes and the heroic and epic otto's boxes. I certainly won't be buying any more.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    No, the shared ingredient bank isn't the answer, it is pitifully small, has no organization and still requires a lot of manual moving stuff back and forth. For crying out loud, the least you can do is let us label our bags so we can find our stuff that you keep creating for system after system.

<snip>

Complaint #2 for whoever's running things:

We didn't ask for new guild ships.

In all of the threads that get posted here, no one ever said, please make our guildships more complicated and useless. They did ask repeatedly for a "buff bar" button and buffs that last longer and pause in public. That alone would have made a lot of people happy. I can tell the art department had a field day with the new buff areas ... they are creative and cute. But, like the Hall of Heroes, it is annoying to walk through all these cute little rooms looking for what I need. And it no longer makes me think of a ship in any way. If you guys had created FR guild lodges and put them over there and left Eberron airships alone... but that didn't happen.

But I used to think of my ship as my "home". I logged off there. I returned there between quests to sell, repair, grab stuff from my bank, grab a dirty kobold or some roasted boar shank and get the XP shrine on my way back out. It was a convenient place to handle mundane stuff like gearing and cleaning out my bags. Now when I want to switch stuff between characters, I have to zone from the deck of the cold, empty (always empty) top deck of the ship to get to my "quality of life" amenities like the bank so I can be annoyed by it snapping shut repeatedly.

Where we used to have guildies hanging out on the main deck, there's no one now. There's no point. We used to /wave and /flex and /bow at each other and steal people's training dummy buff generally act silly... but no one's there. It is no longer a convenient place to sell and repair. Hanging out in the crowded basement... well, no one really does that. It's depressing. I guess you guys thought we'd spend hours strolling through the mall that our ship turned into but people hit the button and leave.
    The problem is that both of these items were not created to make players happy - they were created to: try to fix the exploit issues (bag bank); and increase monetization of Guild Ships. Both of these things could also have been done in a way to make players happy, but (in general) they weren't.

The Guild Amenities did add one thing that players wanted: the buff bar. And yes the holds are well made and creative. But anyone who actually played would have realized that these Amenities would be seen a very limited number of times by players and so were really a waste of development time. They also should have realized that we wanted the interactive services on the top deck. And in fact they were told both of these things on Lamannia, but the problem with Lamannia is that by the time any new system gets there so much development resources have already gone into the system that it will almost never be significantly changed. The Player Council was supposed to help mitigate this type of issue - I don't know what happened there. Maybe they weren't consulted or not consulted in time to affect real change.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    The Player Council was supposed to help mitigate this type of issue - I don't know what happened there. Maybe they weren't consulted or not consulted in time to affect real change.
    Or, they were consulted, but their feedback was ignored in the same way our feedback has been ignored since time began...
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Well, there is the option of grinding out 800 Turbine points (which can be done not super fast but fairly easily, getting to 3200 favor in a life to earn 800 points isn't hard) or spending some cash, each of our choices as we like free things or supporting the game, and buying the first deposit bag upgrade, and having 250 or so slots which let you just ditch the bags and put most of the things you transfer between toons. Really simplified it for me anyway.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Default get shards and seals out of general inventory

I've proposed it before, but I'd really like to see shards/seals removed from general inventory and autoplaced in some other area on an account-wide basis. This would free up a whole lot of bag inventory space and make dealing with them a whole lot easier. When a shard or seal dropped in a chest it would be very simple to check if you already had it account-wide and, if so, pass it along to someone else that actually could make use of it. Ditto if you decide you wanted to craft what is likely an almost-useless epic item, you could quickly check the shards / seals tab and not have to hunt through all 2 or 4 or 10 characters you have to see if you have that shard or seal.

The rest of the inventory system would still suck, but hey, one small step....
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Well, there is the option of grinding out 800 Turbine points (which can be done not super fast but fairly easily, getting to 3200 favor in a life to earn 800 points isn't hard) or spending some cash, each of our choices as we like free things or supporting the game, and buying the first deposit bag upgrade, and having 250 or so slots which let you just ditch the bags and put most of the things you transfer between toons. Really simplified it for me anyway.
    The stacks aren't large enough and 250 slots are not enough if you are a vet with lots of mats or a Cannith crafter. My crafter has huge stacks of essences and collectibles and huge numbers of shards.

The inventory/bag management UX/UI has gone from bad to worse.

I've noticed the gather button just stops working at some point also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    This change to the game sucks and makes the game less fun.
    You can thank the exploiters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    It, um, didn't occur to you to take ALL the bags out at once, check them, and then put ALL the wrong ones back? It'd save you some steps, at least.

Not that I'm saying that the opening/closing thing isn't annoying . . . forget the bank, it's worst when you actually go to craft something. You can't drag stuff from bags to a crafting station or altar now, because if you open a bag the altar closes and vice versa.
    Small ingredients bags and medium collectable bags are exclusive. Some of these come as favor rewards, I believe, or as alternatives to buying stuff from the DDO store.

The solution is to either get rid of he exclusion, or fix the bug being discussed. Because the OP has a point. it is annoying as all get-out, and it shouldn't happen.

I suspect that this will get fixed in an interim release as it is UNBELIVABLY annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast