Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eldritch Knight

Default Eldritch Knight

For 32pt build, drop the Int to 14 and it should still be okay.

Many people seem to think that Eldritch Knights are not really viable in the end game. This build is to prove that wrong

Warforged Wizard 12/Fighter 6/FvS 2

STR- 18 (+4 tome)
    DEX-8 (+3 tome)
    CON-18 (+3 tome)
    INT-16 (+3 tome)
    WIS-6 (+3 tome)
    CHA-6 (+3 tome)

I wouldn't deem all these tomes needed, but in fairness I decided to show that he is fairly well tomed. Also, I took Str on all level ups.

For skills I've got full ranks in spellcraft, repair, and concentration as well as half ranks into balance with a solid jump skill

I run him in Legendary Dreadnought, usually in EH or EE, swinging around a great axe. I'm hitting for 100-200 without crits, and with crits I've seen anywhere from 400 to 3500, generally around 1-2k without masters blitz running. At 28 in LD, my current hp was about 900, and spellpoints were 1500. Numbers will vary depending on which epic feats you choose and what gear you wear though, of course EE content is definitely doable, just beware casters and keep displacement up.

Feats/Leveling order is:

Fig 1- Power Attack, Fighter Bonus 2HF

Wiz 2- Wizard Bonus Mental Toughness

Wiz 3 Cleave

Wiz 4

Wiz 5

Wiz 6 Adamantine Body (by now should you have lower ASF), Wizard Bonus Extend Spell

Fig 7 Fighter Bonus Great Cleave

Fig 8

Fig 9- Toughness, Fighter Bonus Improved 2HF

Wiz10

Wiz 11

FvS 12 Improved Fortification, FvS Bonus Follower of the Lord of Blades (since no religous feat benefits great axes, Lord of Blades was my choice for the easy pass through Power Play)

Fig 13

Fig 14 Fighter Bonus Improved Critical: Slashing

Wiz 15 Maximize

Wiz 16

Wiz 17 Wizard Bonus Quicken

Wiz 18 Greater 2HF

FvS 19

Wiz 20

Epic 1 Overwhelming Critical

Epic 4 Epic Toughness

Since the level 26 and 28 feats are only available based on capped destinies, I won't list any specific ones. I would suggest Perfect 2HF though, if you've capped a primal destiny.

The enhancements I picked were:

All enhancements are full ranks unless otherwise stated
    -EK Cores up to 12, Imp Mage Armor, Toughness x3, Imp Shield, Arcane Barrier,Critical Accuracy, Str, Battlemage rank 1, Light/Med Armor Prof, Str x2, Critical damage, Perma-Tensers, Still Spell [35 AP]

-Warforged Mechanist rank 1, Inscribed armor (only until you can reach Still Spell in the EK tree, then reset the warforged tree), Toughness, DR incease to 5/Addy, Great Weapon Apt, Ada Durability, Imp Power Attack Weapon Attatch, Con x1 [23 AP]

-Archmage Illutsion Specialization 1-3 (Invis, Blur, Displacement), Energy of Scholar,
    Spell Crit I [11AP]

-Warpriest Smite Foe, Toughness, Awareness 1 (for progression), Wall of Steel, Inflame [11 AP]

My regular buffs I give myself are Imp Mage Armor for the AC boost, Imp Shield for the extra +10 PRR, Blur, Greater Heroism, Rage and Expeditious Retreat. Displacement and inflame if the fight gets messy. Also if you have access to primal scream, it beats out rage

Hope you all enjoy it, I know I have
    Last edited by Tom116; 07-02-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Main Toon: Kestros
    Guild Leader of The Shadowtouched , Ghallanda
    Member of the Smithy Alliance

I've run some heroic elite and EH quests with this guy (he's my guild leader) and it's definately a good build. Should be even better since he got his Thunderforged Great Axe at L22.

Looks like feats are plentiful between the fighter levels and the bonus wizard feats.

How advantageous is the FvS levels over something with evasion and just composit plating? Of course that would require investment in dex for good reflex saves I guess. Bladeforged and 2 pally levels would require investment in CHA... Just thinking out loud.

Hey
    Yeah, that axe is amazing haha

The FvS isn't improving THAT much, so I would be open to other options. It gives the +10 PRR which is nice, and inflame I've used to increase group damage. The evasion would be a bit scary though since you'd be wearing robes effectively so you'd drop 20 PRR. The reflex save would be a bit tight on build points, maybe with insightful reflexes? 2 pally levels is another way to go, with some Cha it would be helpful

In any case, once the new MRR system comes into play, the damage taken from casters should drop to a better level.

*Edit
    Not taking the Adamantine Plating would actually drop the build 30 PRR, as on top of the BAB=PRR from the plating gone there's also the enhancement Adamantine Durability I take for another 10 PRR and requires the heavy plating.
    Last edited by Tom116; 06-25-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Correcting the PRR Drop

Community Member

Wink

I am planning a 12 Sorc 6 Pal 2 Rog Eldritch Knight. I would love some constructive criticism. I do not have all of the lives yet, this is a work in progress but what do you all think? I took the all of the T5 EK enhancements, Divine Might, Extra Smites/ Exalted. Aura stuff from Sacred and some AC/ Shield stuff as well. I was think maybe S&B after getting capped out, but idk. Oh and most of the spells are going to buff spells, seeing as how my Dc's would be aweful.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.20.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
    (6 Paladin \ 2 Rogue \ 12 Sorcerer) 
    Hit Points: 270
    Spell Points: 1070 
    BAB: 13\13\18\23
    Fortitude: 19
    Reflex: 16
    Will: 21

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    26
    Dexterity             8                    12
    Constitution         14                    18
    Intelligence         16                    20
    Wisdom                8                    12
    Charisma             16                    20

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               3                     5
    Bluff                 7                     9
    Concentration         4                    28
    Diplomacy             7                    11
    Disable Device        7                    31
    Haggle                7                    10
    Heal                 -1                     1
    Hide                 -1                     1
    Intimidate            3                     6
    Jump                  7                    12
    Listen               -1                     1
    Move Silently        -1                     1
    Open Lock             3                     5
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                3                     8
    Search                7                    31
    Spellcraft            3                     9
    Spot                  3                     5
    Swim                  3                     8
    Tumble                3                     5
    Use Magic Device      7                    31

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Artificer
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Ranger
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Power Attack
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 2 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Deity) Follower of the Sovereign Host

Level 3 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Sorcerer)

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Sorcerer)

Level 12 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Sorcerer)

Level 14 (Sorcerer)

Level 15 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality

Level 16 (Sorcerer)

Level 17 (Sorcerer)

Level 18 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Sorcerer)

Level 20 (Sorcerer)

Your build looks cool, I'm guessing it's going light armor for evasion?

I definitely agree on buff only for spells, DC won't be much good. Maybe no save DoTs though, with the right spellpower gear.

I am a bit concerned about your hp and being human though. I'd recommend warforged for the self heals, especially since you're taking enough sorc for reconstruct. Of course if you're leveling with a friend that can be your healer or if you plan to scroll heal then absolutely human is great, especially with the healing amp

Wizard may be easier on you since you'll get a few free caster feats and cheap blur/displacement SLA's, but if you're going for the sorc PL I think it'll be great all through heroics. EE's *may* be a bit much for it (just because of the low hp and no displacement SLA for cheap perma-displacement), but EH should be fine so long as you've got some way to heal/be healed in the group

Also just to warn you the Eldritch Tempest enhancement had a fairly long cooldown and the sp cost would add up pretty quick, so unless you don't have anything better to sink 6AP into (anything less than full ranks just makes the cost go up and the cooldown go down) you might want to avoid it.

S&B would probably add to your survivability, but then your damage would drop pretty hard. I know Stalwart Defender stance works without shields, Sacred Defender might work too.

You might be pushing the build a bit too hard by trying to fit in all those points for trapping. If you can get it while incleasing the hp, great. If not though, remember you can't trap if you're dead

Hope this helps, good luck with your build

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom116 View Post
    Your build looks cool, I'm guessing it's going light armor for evasion?

I definitely agree on buff only for spells, DC won't be much good. Maybe no save DoTs though, with the right spellpower gear.

I am a bit concerned about your hp and being human though. I'd recommend warforged for the self heals, especially since you're taking enough sorc for reconstruct. Of course if you're leveling with a friend that can be your healer or if you plan to scroll heal then absolutely human is great, especially with the healing amp

Wizard may be easier on you since you'll get a few free caster feats and cheap blur/displacement SLA's, but if you're going for the sorc PL I think it'll be great all through heroics. EE's *may* be a bit much for it (just because of the low hp and no displacement SLA for cheap perma-displacement), but EH should be fine so long as you've got some way to heal/be healed in the group

Also just to warn you the Eldritch Tempest enhancement had a fairly long cooldown and the sp cost would add up pretty quick, so unless you don't have anything better to sink 6AP into (anything less than full ranks just makes the cost go up and the cooldown go down) you might want to avoid it.

S&B would probably add to your survivability, but then your damage would drop pretty hard. I know Stalwart Defender stance works without shields, Sacred Defender might work too.

You might be pushing the build a bit too hard by trying to fit in all those points for trapping. If you can get it while incleasing the hp, great. If not though, remember you can't trap if you're dead

Hope this helps, good luck with your build

Thanks for all the great info. I plan on scroll healing quite a bit, and I might be a bit institutionalized, but when taking 2 levels of rogue, I feel a bit obligated to try to incorporate trap skills. With the whole HP thing, fully geared out he would be fine, I think. He is already has all of this HP gear, he would be @ about 425 at 20.

As for S&B, I'll keep that in mind, i was unaware that the stances worked without shields. But that is definitely very useful information.

I will look into the Eldritch Tempest enhancement a little more. Something i did notice now looking at my build, I put a lot of points into KoC, I may end up swapping some of those into Sacred Defender to further boost the bonuses.

I really appreciate all the advice.

I will ask what does this build do to prove that EK are viable? This is just incredibly standard, I can't see anything out of ordinary.

I'd say drop THF and pick up SWF

Prev life i used a bladeforge 12 sorc 6 ftr 2 pali and it was a blast even with EE. Now im revisting again several life's later #19, this time bladeforge 10 ftr 8 sorc 2 pali and rockin it thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    I will ask what does this build do to prove that EK are viable? This is just incredibly standard, I can't see anything out of ordinary.
    Obviously since EK is a PrE, the only thing it brings to the table is whatever enhancements you select from the EK tree. As he listed in the build:

EK Cores up to 12, Imp Mage Armor, Toughness x3, Imp Shield, Arcane Barrier,Critical Accuracy, Str, Battlemage rank 1, Light/Med Armor Prof, Str x2, Critical damage, Perma-Tensers, Still Spell [35 AP]
    When you say you can't see anything out of the ordinary, what do you mean? Compared to other EK builds? Compared to other Wizard 12/Fighter 6/FvS 2 builds?

When you ask about proof that EK is viable, what do you mean? What makes an EK to you? A majority of AP spent in the tree, or just anyone who spends any AP in the EK tree, or something else entirely?

Sorry not being sarcastic I just don't understand your post.

Quote Originally Posted by tfox130 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info. I plan on scroll healing quite a bit, and I might be a bit institutionalized, but when taking 2 levels of rogue, I feel a bit obligated to try to incorporate trap skills. With the whole HP thing, fully geared out he would be fine, I think. He is already has all of this HP gear, he would be @ about 425 at 20.

As for S&B, I'll keep that in mind, i was unaware that the stances worked without shields. But that is definitely very useful information.

I will look into the Eldritch Tempest enhancement a little more. Something i did notice now looking at my build, I put a lot of points into KoC, I may end up swapping some of those into Sacred Defender to further boost the bonuses.

I really appreciate all the advice.
    No problem, glad to help out. For sure, I'm sure pretty well anyone who saw you had 2 rogue levels would also assume you can trap. That hp sounds a lot more reasonable, especially when you add in the benefits of whichever ED you're planning on going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post

I'd say drop THF and pick up SWF
    Not really sure what you mean by "standard" since it's a 3 way split multiclass, but this build is living proof that EK's can run EE without much difficulty. If you'd like to see for yourself, then roll it up.

SWF is another option, sure. But TWF works fine too, and from what I've heard SWF ends up doing about the same damage as a single-target THF so why not also take the glancing blows damage? You'd need the Strength in the build for your damage anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Prev life i used a bladeforge 12 sorc 6 ftr 2 pali and it was a blast even with EE. Now im revisting again several life's later #19, this time bladeforge 10 ftr 8 sorc 2 pali and rockin it thus far.
    Nice
    I imagine that reconstruct SLA would be really nice too. If you were planning on making the final life an EK build, bladeforged is definitely a good way to go. I just wanted an eTR this life without hitting 28 twice hehe

Its definitely a viable build. I ran a similar 12 wiz/6fighter/2monk. BUT if you are looking for something with a bit more DPS... I would suggest going Bladeforged 6 wiz//12 fighter/ 2 monk.

You can check out a build for that here....https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Bairclaw-V2-0
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Last-Wolf View Post
    I surrender to your wit sir, well played
    Toons on Thelanis... Bairclaw, Icemaachine, Slydawg, Tazzster

Quote Originally Posted by jortann View Post
    Its definitely a viable build. I ran a similar 12 wiz/6fighter/2monk. BUT if you are looking for something with a bit more DPS... I would suggest going Bladeforged 6 wiz//12 fighter/ 2 monk.

You can check out a build for that here....https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Bairclaw-V2-0
    I just looked at your build, and it's pretty sweet too. I was going for a more heavy armor type build (compared to the evasion sort of build Bairclaw is) to get a higher PRR. Definitely agree that bladeforged would be nicer, but I was also grabbing an eTR this life and didn't want to have to hit 28 twice

I took the 12 wizard for reconstruct, unfortunately warforged don't get that free haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tom116 View Post
    I just looked at your build, and it's pretty sweet too. I was going for a more heavy armor type build (compared to the evasion sort of build Bairclaw is) to get a higher PRR. Definitely agree that bladeforged would be nicer, but I was also grabbing an eTR this life and didn't want to have to hit 28 twice

I took the 12 wizard for reconstruct, unfortunately warforged don't get that free haha
    I totally understand not getting stuck in the bladeforged trap when you are trying to get past lives. Bairclaw is just a toon I leave at cap to run EEs with Guildies so they can be amazed by the wake of destruction in my path.

In my experience it is the most durable build I have played, and it has more DPS than my sorc had. Maybe for your last life you can give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Last-Wolf View Post
    I surrender to your wit sir, well played
    Toons on Thelanis... Bairclaw, Icemaachine, Slydawg, Tazzster

the bladeforged trap

Conjours up images of a bear trap snapping shut then berating you for failing to consider the plight of sentient constructs in today's modern world. "Check your privilege, you great fleshy oaf!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

I totally understand not getting stuck in the bladeforged trap when you are trying to get past lives. Bairclaw is just a toon I leave at cap to run EEs with Guildies so they can be amazed by the wake of destruction in my path.

In my experience it is the most durable build I have played, and it has more DPS than my sorc had. Maybe for your last life you can give it a try.
    For sure. Yeah, definitely something to consider if/when I eventually park that toon

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Conjours up images of a bear trap snapping shut then berating you for failing to consider the plight of sentient constructs in today's modern world. "Check your privilege, you great fleshy oaf!"
    Lol

I too am trying to figure out a Eldritch Knight build, only difference is that i want a tanking toon, while you seem to focus more on the dps side. Oh, and i don't want him to be a BF/WF, i want a fleshy in heavy armor :P

So far my options are

- 12 Sorc/6 Pally/2 Fighter PDK, charisma based, very high saves, very high intimidate, heals through LoH, empower healed Cocoon/Renewal/cure wounds (?). A bit feat starved, can't take Overwhelming crit

- 12 Wizard/6 Pally/2 Fighter H-Elf, strenght based, more feats, double intimidate, racial enhancements on ASF%, undead form for heals, but can still heal through positive energy if needs be (like when tanking Aurgloroasa), can take Overwhelming critical. Can probably hold better aggro, but intimidate will be lower.

In fact, i've just returned from Lamaland after soloing some EElite quests with the Wizard version. Never came close to dying, even though boss fights are sometimes slow, but that has to be expected.

Officer de "I Granchi Aviatori" on Thelanis
    Alphirlian - Fayran - Alpheral - Alpharyus - Alpharia - Alpharenicus

Quote Originally Posted by Mast3rR0b View Post
    I too am trying to figure out a Eldritch Knight build, only difference is that i want a tanking toon, while you seem to focus more on the dps side. Oh, and i don't want him to be a BF/WF, i want a fleshy in heavy armor :P

So far my options are

- 12 Sorc/6 Pally/2 Fighter PDK, charisma based, very high saves, very high intimidate, heals through LoH, empower healed Cocoon/Renewal/cure wounds (?). A bit feat starved, can't take Overwhelming crit

- 12 Wizard/6 Pally/2 Fighter H-Elf, strenght based, more feats, double intimidate, racial enhancements on ASF%, undead form for heals, but can still heal through positive energy if needs be (like when tanking Aurgloroasa), can take Overwhelming critical. Can probably hold better aggro, but intimidate will be lower.

In fact, i've just returned from Lamaland after soloing some EElite quests with the Wizard version. Never came close to dying, even though boss fights are sometimes slow, but that has to be expected.
    I tried out an EK for a sorc life a TWF BF 12 sorc 6 ranger 2 pally If I were to do a EK again I would go 11 ranger 5 wizard 4 paladin.
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

Community Member

I like doing 12 sorc/6 or 8 pali for divine grace

got myself about 60 in every save at 23 so far, and stuff like displacement and haste are more spammablle. Also unlocks unyielding sentinal which gives you all sorts of tankiness and utility.

the dps is a bit wanting since I am going all in on charisma, but there is a paladin enhancement that adds half your charisma to your strength and I use that.

@masterrob bladeforged much better for that build, for the repair skill they get.

also there is currently a bug that makes spells apply fearsome presence, which means aoe debuff enemies even if they save on the spell.
    Last edited by ivstuntman; 07-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivstuntman View Post
    I like doing 12 sorc/6 or 8 pali for divine grace

got myself about 60 in every save at 23 so far, and stuff like displacement and haste are more spammablle. Also unlocks unyielding sentinal which gives you all sorts of tankiness and utility.

the dps is a bit wanting since I am going all in on charisma, but there is a paladin enhancement that adds half your charisma to your strength and I use that.

@masterrob bladeforged much better for that build, for the repair skill they get.

also there is currently a bug that makes spells apply fearsome presence, which means aoe debuff enemies even if they save on the spell.

Yeah i know, it'd be the best option. But i want a fleshy for that toon, mostly for flavor reasons

Officer de "I Granchi Aviatori" on Thelanis
    Alphirlian - Fayran - Alpheral - Alpharyus - Alpharia - Alpharenicus

Quote Originally Posted by Mast3rR0b View Post

So far my options are

Cool
    Yeah, that's true. I do agree that I am aimed more at dps. That being said, I was holding off several EE mobs in Gianthold while an artificer was spamming reconstruct/repair critical damage and I did stay standing and take them down. The toon have 55 PRR, displacement SLA, and some other miss chances (ghostly, etc) so it could take some agro. Just wouldn't do EE tanking on it hehe

I'd say the 12 Wiz/6 Pally/2 Fighter may be the best way to go (especially since if you wanted to go bladeforged the pally doesn't get in the way, but I see you want to be fleshy so np), the archmage SLA's are pretty sweet. Cheap displacement with free extend is not bad at all, and blur before that too. May not work vs true seeing, but works amazing against 90% of the mobs you face. I do like the undead form to work around your fleshiness, that would work well. I'm assuming your end-game form would be wraith for the 25/35% miss chance? Overwhelming crit is definitely handy from a dps standpoint, you'd have to see if your intimidate is still viable in the wiz build. If it is, I'd vote for it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast