Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 128
  1. #1
    Community Member visibleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    325

    Default Why do people play an Massively MULTIPLAYER Game and then go and solo everything?

    ...
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

  2. #2

    Default

    This all depends on the situation. I don't solo everything, and I do enjoy being in groups, however sometimes that option isn't a good idea for me. Either my time is limited or I'm multi-tasking between DDO and something else which generally means I'm not moving very fast within a quest or between quests at times. I'm sure others have their various reasons for running solo. In the end, it is highly situational and varies from person to person.

  3. #3
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    Not wanting to play with you or join your pug or handhold you through quest is not the same as only soloing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  4. #4
    Community Member LongshotBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    531

    Default

    i can't speak for anyone but me on this, but i like the atmosphere of an open persistent world. People running to and fro, general banter and so forth. That being said, in my experience i have a different pace than most that i've grouped with. Sometimes i do a quest pretty fast, and sometimes really slow, and sometimes i stop in the middle of it to do something else. i don't generally do things the "accepted" way, and then there's raids, which i've barely ever done and feel like i'd be an annoyance.
    When you stand out in the rain, you get wet.

    The Long Shot - where I write about stuff: www.thelongshotist.com

  5. #5
    Community Member PsychoBlonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Not wanting to play with you or join your pug or handhold you through quest is not the same as only soloing.
    Is it just me, or is this a lot like asking "Why do people who like sex not randomly have sex with EVERYONE?!" or "why do people who like to hang out with their friends not randomly hang out with EVERYONE?!"

    Soloing also can be a fun challenge--and at least that way if you screw up you know it's your own fault.

  6. #6
    Community Member Nayus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visibleman View Post
    ...
    I'm adept of the theory that Epic Elite should be rewarding enough to make any EE Viable toon NEVER step in a Epic Hard run and I also believe Heroic Hard should be the norm, with Heroic Elite as a reward for more powerful characters.

    Now, assuming the worst happened and you're in the same dungeon: If you can't even keep up with him, what good would it be for him to wait for you?

  7. #7
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,475

    Default

    I solo because I cant always get a group together for what I want to run and i always like to maximize my xp in each quest that i am able to handle solo, which some groups wont always do.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

    You are the one choosing not to play alts.

    Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

  8. #8

    Default

    Assuming we use the extreme why someone would solo EVERYTHING (as in never group with anyone, ever, for any reason). Here are a few reasons someone might do so:

    1. They are poor: The Time spent/cost ratio on MMO's can be far more efficient than single player games.

    2. They enjoy the game/no reasonable single player alternative: Especially true for certain genre like superhero MMO's, not any good single player versions.

    3. They like to chat while they play.

    4. Greater difficulty. Often the difficulty in a MMO for doing something that is designed for a group/raid is MUCH tougher than even top difficulty single player games.

    5. Don't like rerolling: Perhaps you have lots of time/money but don't want to have to cap a toon/reroll a toon every 20-60 hours of gameplay.

    6. Enjoy playing the market and the auction house.

    7. Enjoy crafting (I've found very few single player games have nearly as robust a crafting system as the average MMO)

    8. Enjoy the lore: The average amount of lore for a MMO compared to a single player game is staggering.

    I'm sure people could come and add dozens more, but that is just off the top of my head.

  9. #9
    Community Member SiliconScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    I know that I can only speak for myself here but I suspect that I am not unique. I have been playing a long time and am what I would consider as harcore-casual. By that I mean first and foremost I don't play often. Sometimes as little as an hour a week sometimes as much as 30 but most often in that 5-6 range I would say.

    I can generally be useful in a group regardless of my toon and on my main toon I can solo "at level" quests on elite (ie a level 14 quest on elite (thus level 16) at level 14). When it comes to epics I can usually solo epic elites but rarely bother as the difference as far as reward vs time spent just isn't worth it unless I am looking for specific gear.

    I have and can raid, and once I know the raid and my "job" (if any) they run almost on autopilot, though in all honesty I have not run a single new raid since MOTU dropped because frankly I don't really care much for the content and by the time I forced myself through it and was "raid ready" all of them were "know it" or what not so I just didn't bother with them.

    Now I do know most of the quests very well if not always by name and rarely have difficulty with them.

    Now why am I soloing? Well that boils down to a couple of points. First since my time is so infrequent I don't want to spend it waiting, history tells me that if i start to wait around I just log out so there needs to be something up at my level that is either IP or running immediately. Thanks to boxes there aren't so many groups in that 9-17 range so this happens but is somewhat rare honestly.

    Why don't I toss up an LFM? Well I do occasionally but most of the time I don't bother and it's for one of three reasons.

    1: I am not sure what it is that I plan to run until I walk by something or see a quest I need to complete.
    2: I am worried that I will get slowed down / spend time running people to a quest only to learn they don't own it or aren't flagged or simply cause scaling without any real assistance.
    3: Because I most often remember a quest once I am in it I usually don't feel comfortable "leading" a party and figuring out what we are doing next. Hell I somtimes still get lost on the way to a quest (Hello demon queen I am looking at you...) mainly because I don't run it often enough.

    Now there are times that I am going to run a chain or just get some good old slayers in and I might toss up an LFM for that but most of the time that I find a group up at my level they are doing that chain or the slayers so I don't need to.

    I used to group more, almost exclusively, but all my friends have moved on since the first update after MOTU for various reasons (all of them game related). I do often toss up a group for "free chests" in say a Devils Assault or Weapons Shipment and the like but in the end I don't group because I don't feel it's fair to those I might group with.

    I guess if I am going to play with people I would prefer to play with people I know somewhat and can joke around with / trust to not act like idiots or roll their eyes when I pull the occasional bone headed move. Now as silly as that sounds I have found that most of the time I have jumped into a group it's gone exceptionally well so you would think that should encourage me to group more but I just don't. I think it has most to do with the casual / transient nature of the groups I am in. Once we start rolling really well it eventually breaks up (and that is OK) but rarely do I run with them again for quite some time if ever. Likely because they out levelled me I imagine.

    I guess if I though the "end game" was worth playing I would park my main there or run my capped toons and manage to find groups to run more regularly with but right now I am running my main through her 3rd wizard life before returning to her final life as a sorc and given how long it typically takes me to run through a life given the amount of time I spend playing I don't want to spend that time on other toons until my main is "done".

    Wow that kind of rambled eh ... meh what you gonna do.


  10. #10
    Community Member Vint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visibleman View Post
    ...
    When you can get puggers to live up to what is in the LFM, then I will start to pug again.

    I cannot be bothered to run harbor quests slow because someone doesn’t know them.
    I cannot be bothered to wait for people when I could already have half the quest done.
    I cannot be bothered to explain what “soloing a tower” means again.

    If you can guarantee that the flower sniffers and people that like to waste other people’s time will not join my groups, I will start to form parties again.

    4/10 btw
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

    LEGION

  11. #11
    Community Member Nayus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    When you can get puggers to live up to what is in the LFM, then I will start to pug again.

    I cannot be bothered to run harbor quests slow because someone doesn’t know them.
    I cannot be bothered to wait for people when I could already have half the quest done.
    I cannot be bothered to explain what “soloing a tower” means again.

    If you can guarantee that the flower sniffers and people that like to waste other people’s time will not join my groups, I will start to form parties again.

    4/10 btw
    By the way, PUGs are actually doing pretty well as of late, there are a lot of TR/twinks and most weaker players now understand they are weak and try to team-play. In a way it makes the quest run slower since they actually stop but at least they won't rush in and die.

    Even in zergfests like heroic GH they try to stick together.

  12. #12
    Community Member Powskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    1990
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    sometimes solo....sometimes group...it all depends on time and personal feel. I will say that zergers dont make groups fun.How many do maze of madness to get shafted on end chest cause your jump isnt high enough.Hell ,the levers r so tough a timetaker(cough sarcasism meter maxin)I was in a slayer group that left the leader for dead recently,what the F? I went and got his stone

  13. #13
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,498

    Default

    Cos no one hits my lfm.

    Admittedly I'm in a bad timezone and doing a full favour life so there are a large number of quests people don't like
    ~ Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

  14. #14
    Community Member Vint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    By the way, PUGs are actually doing pretty well as of late, there are a lot of TR/twinks and most weaker players now understand they are weak and try to team-play. In a way it makes the quest run slower since they actually stop but at least they won't rush in and die.

    Even in zergfests like heroic GH they try to stick together.
    I agree that LFM’s are still healthy (depending on server and time).

    My comment was set to the fact that there are a few jaded vets such as myself that don’t want to be slowed down and it is easier to solo/guild/channel.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

    LEGION

  15. #15
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,230

    Default

    I am forced to solo because noone can withstand my awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  16. #16
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Is it just me, or is this a lot like asking "Why do people who like sex not randomly have sex with EVERYONE?!" or "why do people who like to hang out with their friends not randomly hang out with EVERYONE?!"

    Soloing also can be a fun challenge--and at least that way if you screw up you know it's your own fault.
    No that is just you and makes no sense at all.


    Beware the Sleepeater

  17. #17
    Community Member kanordog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    727

    Default

    You got the ones who don't want to hold the hand of a "flower sniffer"
    then the ones who don't want to "zerg" through everything.
    then newbies who got "told off" by vets (which will make the new ones find an other MMO)
    And then the ones who can't open elite will stop putting up LFM's because nobody will join a "harbor quests on Normal" LFM




    I for example don't put up LFM's often as I try not to repeat quests over and over in the same life, so I need all XP (conquest, optionals, breakables etc) and quite often party members just go for quick completion (for quick XP or favor, whatever). So I guess I am a "flower sniffer" (no, I don't need handholding thx).

  18. #18
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Is it just me, or is this a lot like asking "Why do people who like sex not randomly have sex with EVERYONE?!"

    Soloing also can be a fun challenge--and at least that way if you screw up you know it's your own fault.

  19. #19
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Because I don't play it for the multiplayer aspect, I play it for the game itself. If I group, that's a bonus.. and not done often.
    Partially because my old mates are leaving, completely unrelated to u22.

  20. #20
    Hero Phoenix-daBard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    I'll pug S/R/E runs but that is it. Everything else is either guild or solo runs. My guild is filled exclusively with friends and family. The only reason I tried DDO in the first place is that I got tired of managing my own persistent world game for my family and friends and DDO has worked out great as a replacement. Though when AC starts allowing community servers I may give that a go just for the fun of it but DDO is where I will stay until lights out.

    Why not pug? I run the way I feel like it. Flower sniffers say I am too fast and zergers wonder why I bother with optionals. I'm in the game for fun not for social time. And I prefer persistent worlds.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload