Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I wish we could have Detritus' Piecemaker...

/signed!
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Sir Winston Churchill

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byzantinebob View Post
    I refuse to play a Great Crossbow until they give that "thunk" sound mortars make when you fire them. Then I would consider them ultimate. Right now, they are just penultimate.
    This please...

Yeah.. bad enough they suck. Worse that the sound they make is so whimpy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    Heavy Picks are the most manly weapons. And they're so versatile.
    Not only can they be used for mining, they can also be used to clean your ears, pick your nose, and other areas I will not mention in this forum, and they make a decent toothpick (just wipe them off on a rock first). And they can reach those hard to get places when you're wearing armor and get an itch you just can't get to with gauntlets on.
    It's like the Swiss Army Knife of weapons.
    When you use a Great Crossbow, the force of the weapon cleans your ears, nose, and itches every part that dares to itch on your skin.

You've obviously never used one- they must be repulsed by your lack of manly.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    You have to play LOTRO to use the "manly" weapons.

**UNretouched screenie of loading screen**

butter knife of doom?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I wish we could have Detritus' Piecemaker...
    but only trolls can use it though?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordArkan View Post
    The biggest problem with Great Crossbows is actually the fact that when they fixed the old repeater bug, they shifted it over to the single-shot crossbows. It's just that no one ever uses those so it's gone unnoticed.
    Is this the bug where it tries to shoot but fails multiple times in a row? it just makes a strange clicking sound but doesn't actually shoot anything?

Well, that what happened to me whenever i used great crossbows. Which is sad, because i would like to make a halfling rogue wielding a Great Crossbow one day, but while it does this i simply get too frustrated by the weapon to continue using it

Quote Originally Posted by Relem View Post
    Ok Singular, concerning doubleshot;

There's nothing really to support that comment is there, but you could use http://ddowiki.com/page/Talkoubleshot
    as a source, but again that doesn't state exactly when it procs.
    Yeah. Someone sent me a pm correcting me on that - so I admit I'm most likely incorrect about doubleshot proc rates above. Happily wrong!

Now for doublecross, can use the highest of either dex or int for attack roll, crippling, armour piercing and nightshade venom, enervation and a red slot at epic. And you consider that a support weapon...
    Yes, I consider it a support weapon. The bonus to attack roll is meaningless - when's the last time you've missed something? Crippling is good, but not as good as outright killing (hence, support) - same thing with nightshade venom. Armor piercing is good, too, but you get that with epic black dragon armor.

When on my artie, which is almost never now, I run in Fury and just kill stuff outright, using tac/det as CC.

As for Silver Slinger, well, I can think of a few places straight away where it become very useful. Something like Deathwyrm perhaps, maybe Fall of Truth. But then again my weapon of choice is Needle with a Ruby augment of Endless Night.
    The triple pos green steel out dps's Silver Slinger. Sure, Silver is good for the blunt damage but it needs more than it has to make it worth grinding for.

I agree with you about Needle

Actually, you can find the Alchemical Great Crossbow in the end chest of Master Artificer, but I'm not going to split hairs about that as I stated "in the game", mentioned nothing about finding it or making it.

Now for tac/det dc comment. Can you guess why I stated personally?

Of course 2 years of using the weapons none stop means nothing as experience in the subject does it.

Of course how I read the OP was as an actual advertisement for the weapon using the same colourful language as advertisement (+50 to charisma (only if you're a half orc though and the thing looks like a ballista in your hands)). Mainly because there was a lot of facts about the weapon mentioned. And besides, if the OP stands unchallenged then the Devs will just nerf the living daylights out of them.

And crossbow bolts can explode within an explosion. Shadowdancer with Colors of the Queen
    You kinda lost me here...

But, ok. For sure!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    butter knife of doom?
    If you click on that image, the tags he gave it will make clear that a butterknife was not the "item commonly found in a drawer" he was thinking of....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    When you use a Great Crossbow, the force of the weapon cleans your ears, nose, and itches every part that dares to itch on your skin.

LOL

That is genuinely hilarious!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Relem View Post
    The chances of double shot happening is split between 3 bolts, and you get the same damage on the extra bolt as you do with the other bolts in the burst.

There are only 2 great crossbows in the game worth mentioning, alchemical great crossbow and thunder forged great crossbow, so good luck in finding one that does descent damage and effects.

The base damage is applied to each bolt, so I see your great crossbow and raise you Needle with appropriate planar conflux for the build (and fully upgraded of course), epic and non epic doublecross bow or epic and non epic silver slinger.

Great crossbows are good in the hands of a low level rogue mechanic, but at lvl 12, green steel comes into play and repeaters then have the upper hand and keeps it all the way through to cap. Which is an absolute shame as both the rogue mechanic and artificers both have good boosts in the tree for the great crossbow, but it's just not enough to be compared to a burst from a repeater.

As for knockdown, ok I'll give you that, but personally, you can't beat a good old fashioned tactical detonation.
    I think someone rolled a natural one on their sarcasm check...

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjwizard View Post
    I think someone rolled a natural one on their sarcasm check...
    Lol not only did (s)he roll a 1 on his sense of humour check but (s)he managed to start a serious debate.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Great Crossbows? Yeah, they're OK...until you try Awesome Crossbows.
    Never looted any. Where do they drop again ?

Have you tried Halfling instead of bolts ?
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Community Member

I heard that the devs are considering adding a top tier enhancement that improves the bleed enhancement mechanic rogues get as follows: blah-blah-blah....on vorpal strikes the deafening sound of the great xbow causes an AoE effect: on a failed fort save all enemies within w feet of the target suffer x-y bleed damage every z1 seconds for z2 seconds due to bleeding from their eardrums.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I heard the tier-three TH enhancement turns great crossbows into shoulder-mounted ballistae.
    Short Fat Bald Guys of Khyber: Zyp Klod Borox Barrium Fytr Bromide Healor Kloddius Kludgie Klawd Wingz

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    butter knife of doom?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    If you click on that image, the tags he gave it will make clear that a butterknife was not the "item commonly found in a drawer" he was thinking of....

Indeed. And if it wasn't Turbine's own original artwork, I'd have never dared post that here.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by zyp View Post
    I heard the tier-three TH enhancement turns great crossbows into shoulder-mounted ballistae.

But it has a pre-req. It's only allowed to be mounted on Powered Full Plate armor. But after that, the next tier opens up allowing the bolts to be infused with Plasma. (ref: Traveller; PGMP)

EDIT:

But then the debate begins again between the Great Plasma Ballista and the Plasma Firing Repeating Hand Crossbow.

Last edited by cdbd3rd; 06-23-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    *snip*

Have you tried Halfling instead of bolts ?

They tend to jam if you use the hollow-points. Just stick with the regular round-head Halflings and you should be fine.

Repeaters are burst-fire weapons whereas Great Crossbows act more like Sniper Rifles. You just take one shot and your enemies instantly die, especially when combined with Deepwood's Head Shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgettableNPC View Post
    Oh in the name of the Dark Six why.

Curse you, Dr. Wily! Only a mind as evil as yours could come up with something like this!

Now go back to making Robot Masters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12