Community Member DogstarPhotography's Avatar

Question Cross Server Trading Ethos

During the 40th anniversary event I rolled up a character on each server in order to grab some extra cards, to get ready for doing a 100 favour dash on each server, and to see what each server is like in terms of community. Once I've completed that I was thinking that it would be helpful to transfer my 'loot' to my home server of Cannith and buy some airship amenities for the guild.

Obviously I'd have to find some trustworthy people to trade with but the folks on DDO are pretty good so that shouldn't be a problem. However I was wondering about the ethos of doing this. Is it a normal activity or is it over the top? Has anyone done this before and have any thoughts to share?

Quote Originally Posted by DogstarPhotography View Post
    During the 40th anniversary event I rolled up a character on each server in order to grab some extra cards, to get ready for doing a 100 favour dash on each server, and to see what each server is like in terms of community. Once I've completed that I was thinking that it would be helpful to transfer my 'loot' to my home server of Cannith and buy some airship amenities for the guild.

Obviously I'd have to find some trustworthy people to trade with but the folks on DDO are pretty good so that shouldn't be a problem. However I was wondering about the ethos of doing this. Is it a normal activity or is it over the top? Has anyone done this before and have any thoughts to share?
    There is even an official part of the forum for Cross Server trading, down by the individual server forum parts. I agree that it would be difficult to find someone you could know you could trust (there were several people saying that they'd been burnt doing this during the Anniversary cards program), but I'd say there are more good trades than bad ones. So, yes, it's ok, though it could be risky. That being said, if your agreements are public, like on the forum, it can increase your odds.
    LuKaSu's DDO Wishlist.
    Turbine, Thanks for a super-fun game!

I did a couple of cross server trades for cards. In both cases they advertised and gave me cards first. They seemed quite relieved when the name I gave on the other side was real and made good the deal. Just saying.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

I have traded all my cards (3 vip accounts, rolled daily) on all servers for cards on Khyber, and got burned exactly once -and thanks to some people giving me their leftover cards, I still ended up with more cards than I rolled.
    As for the trading itself, sometimes people gave me their cards first, sometimes I gave mine first. Obviously it's a risk, but in all, I'm quite happy with the results.

Greetz,
    Red Orm
    Will Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Khyber (mail Ninevrisei) if you provide the needed materials.

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

If you ask me, it's not in the spirit of the card event.

It's not forbidden, but I don't like it. It's like some instances of selling and trading raid loot, some people do it but many don't like seeing that. (Of course, ethos goes down the drain when someone can profit from it, so you know what to expect from the rest of the thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

I did a lot of trading back then. I got burned once but you could see if from a mile coming . Rest 5 servers I was very happy. Still waiting to see if the value of those cards will go up at some point
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

When I trade with another person on the internet, I never go first.

They give me their stuff then I give mine.

If they don't agree to do that, then I don't trade with them (which rarely happens).
    Server: Khyber.
    Leader of the Dragon Renaissance Brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    When I trade with another person on the internet, I never go first.

They give me their stuff then I give mine.

If they don't agree to do that, then I don't trade with them (which rarely happens).
    Well your just down rite selfish..

I always make sure they get there's before I get mine... thats just being a good lov...
    Oh were talking about trading cards here?
    Nefatron - Nefron - Nefrous - Ya Know What... Just Call Me NEF ~ Ghalland ~

Post a list of your cards/server in the cross-server trading forum and what your home server is.

There are still a few folks willing to move cards around. Like others, I would recommend only setting up trades via the forum thread, as I'm sure there are a few crooks haunting the servers who will take advantage of such a trade deal.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member DogstarPhotography's Avatar

Wow I didn't even think that here might be a cross server trading forum! Thanks for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    If you ask me, it's not in the spirit of the card event. ...
    Counter-opinion:

Collectable cards, by their very nature, means they're meant to be traded. Therefore, trading them *is* the spirit of the event.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Counter-opinion:

Collectable cards, by their very nature, means they're meant to be traded. Therefore, trading them *is* the spirit of the event.
    Trading with people you play with to get the cards you are missing, yes. Creating a myriad of dummy accounts and hoarding up to 500 cards (I'm sure there's people with more than that, non-duped) via cross-server and "smurfing", not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    If you ask me, it's not in the spirit of the card event.
    If you ask me, if it wasn't for cross server, there wouldn't be any trading in the trading card event.
    With the cards and ratios set as they were, if you were lucky enough to get a rare one, it was 50% chance you wanted exactly that one, and pretty good chance the other one would also be useful, so why trade?

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    If you ask me, if it wasn't for cross server, there wouldn't be any trading in the trading card event.
    With the cards and ratios set as they were, if you were lucky enough to get a rare one, it was 50% chance you wanted exactly that one, and pretty good chance the other one would also be useful, so why trade?
    That, and the devs (notably Cordovan) explicitly said they *wanted* us to trade. And even went so far as to make a separate forum to facilitate cross-server trading. So yea, I firmly believe it IS in the spirit of the game. Not making fake accounts mind you, but using your own (plus daughter and husband in my case) account to make toons on all servers? Definitely.

Greetz,
    Red Orm
    Will Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Khyber (mail Ninevrisei) if you provide the needed materials.

Default trading

nvm
    Last edited by wayreth602; 06-21-2014 at 06:41 PM.