Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sorfosh View Post
    I got hypnotised so many times it is annoying :P so i guess it is important.
    Okay i have one more question regarding armor. It has bonuses , ok but also these armor bonus w/ Dexterity or armor bonus or even the enhancement bonus, which stat should i prioritise? enahncment over armor bonus? or maybe armor bonus w/ dexterity over enhancment? or maybe other bonuses over enahcments? i have no idea which bonus is more important.
    So, armour. For the most part, it doesn't really matter what you slap on, as long as it helps you be the best on reducing/eliminating incoming physical damage. For the moment, work on bumping up your AC and dodge (note that dodge bonuses are capped by the Max Dex Bonus of your armour!) PRR only gets really good at later levels, so that should be down there on your list of protective priorities. An Invulnerability item as mentioned earlier grants DR 5/magical weapons, and you won't see many mobs wielding magical weapons until you're dipping in level 10+ content, but while it's useful, it will carry you well. Note that Kensei dodge bonuses only work in light or less armour.

Don't forget available buffs. If you're in a guild of sufficient level, stock up, both on buffs and on comestibles. For example, the potion vendor sells Barkskin (+3) pots. They last a decent duration for a +3 Natural bonus to AC, which stack with your Armor and Shield bonus, if you have any. If you're not toting a shield, look for an item that casts Shield. +4 Shield bonus to AC right there, and immunity to pesky Magic Missile to boot.
    Last edited by SaneDitto; 06-20-2014 at 05:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen (Pokémon G/S/C)
    Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Community Member

I see, thank you.
    One more thing, how do i evaluate items? i mean how do i know which item should go to vendor which on auction which should i keep? for example feather falling looks like **** but is worth a ton!
    Thanks to a person from my guild i got new apparently better gear, here it is: Garzads Helm, Necklece of accuracy
    , deadly googles., youg-ratha plate, dextreous braclets +2 , health +2 ring of speed, ogre power + 2 boots of dodge 2%, armored +6 gloves, ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4
    Last edited by Sorfosh; 06-20-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Community Member

Default welcome

welcome to ddo,

my first toon was a badly built one that struggled to lv 7 then got shelved for quite a while. he is now my favorite toon. do be afraid to park him and try something else for a while, you will gain knowledge and plat that you can bring back to any toon.

you will find alot of advice on these forums.
    also the wiki is very helpful http://ddowiki.com

there are builders who have put a lot of detail into builds that are 'new player friendly'. check out ellisdee37, his builds are listed in his tagline. here is a link to one of his builds. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426765

i also think unbongwah has some builds that may work for you https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...arven-Defender

even if you dont use either of these, there is a lot of good info and discussion in thier threads.

good luck and if you ever roll on thelanis i can help with crafting
    Last edited by thouston; 06-20-2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: spelling errors,
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

It's your character.

28 point builds with no gear should be doing normal. read the description of the dif settings, elite is meant for veteran players looking for a challenge, that means well geared characters played by people that know the quest.

Now if you want a challenge, then of course play on elite, but... it's going to be tough.

There is a huge difference between a fresh character and one that has lots of gear and past lives, and there is a huge difference between playing a quest for the first time and for the 100th.

Have patience, build your character, have fun.

ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4
    Items with the same type of bonus do not stack, only the highest one applies, so that ring is doing nothing for you.

armored +6 gloves
    Items that give 'armor' bonus do not stack with armor, both give an armor bonus and only the highest one applies.
    Last edited by Lonnbeimnech; 06-20-2014 at 06:17 AM.

I see, thank you.
    One more thing, how do i evaluate items? i mean how do i know which item should go to vendor which on auction which should i keep? for example feather falling looks like **** but is worth a ton!
    Thanks to a person from my guild i got new apparently better gear, here it is: Garzads Helm, Necklece of accuracy
    , deadly googles., youg-ratha plate, dextreous braclets +2 , health +2 ring of speed, ogre power + 2 boots of dodge 2%, armored +6 gloves, ring of ressitance +3, cloak of resistance +4
    Looks much better, though resistance doesn't stack either and only benefit from the highest.

If you want, take the time to check out the AH. See what kinds of things people are selling. You should get an idea of the kinds of things people might be willing to buy. You can post pretty much anything no matter if its considered vendor junk or not. What one views as junk another sees it as a goldmine. When I post something on the AH, I always compare how much people are selling the same item and than post for a little less. A helpful tip is to include a buyout amount. If not and the item will sit there until the time expires before it gets sold. I see no buyouts all the time with 3 day timers and I'm more likely to forget about it or just buy someone else's item that does have a buyout.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Wow, you guys are great.
    As many of you ask what server i am on Cannith.
    Regarding the better gear, where should i look for i know i need to loot them but are there some "better" quests? Or maybe the smithy Alliance can craft me some of the items? ( i have no idea what crafting is capable of)
    also thank you for the ap suggestions.
    I have yet another question (sorry) and saves reallly important? If so which should be the priority?
    Will/constitution/reflex?
    F2P quests will have some nice named gear, but I'm VIP so its been since 2009 the last time I was F2P. Hard to remember which is free and which is P2P. I would recommend saving your TP or if you want to spend the money for buying packs. Either that or sign up for at least a month of VIP to check out the pay packs and you get some nice perks. Its actually pretty cheap for just a month and there are a lot of nice named loot that comes from these pay packs.

Saves are definitely important. The higher the better. If you are playing a pure dwarf fighter than your fortitude saves (based on con) should be really good. Your reflex won't be great, even with some investment, but definitely try to pump up will saves. It sucks being held all the time because your will saves (based on wisdom) is always low. Resistance items is a must.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Community Member

Okay thanks.
    Just one more question regarding items worth. how do i know something is worth a lot. for example i have +2 rapier of vertigo (MC) and i have absolutely no idea if it should goto vendor or maybe an auction. Basicly how do i price check items

Default Dodge

I am a level 6 pure fighter.
    here are my stats
    http://postimg.org/gallery/2vnd7jxo/f6f6a1a2/
    Thank you for all the support guys i am really surprised all of you are that helpful
    Regarding what llewdyn said, is it really worth putting everything in dodge? seems like putting everything on one card, unlucky rolls and a quick death- or am i wrong?
    TBH, it could be, but here's how I see it (again, lots of VERY smart people on this forum, so take everything with a grain of salt)... Dodge is a percentage to dodge an attack, so the higher you get it, the better the chance you can dodge an attack. You can get an 4-6% dodge item off of the AH for pretty cheap, and then with feats and enhancements get that quite a bit higher. I go the dodge route because try as I might, I have NO idea how to get my AC high enough or my PRR (Physical Resistance Rating, or Pukey Rodent Riddler) high enough to be of ANY use, and though I could spend a little time looking up how, I KNOW how to make myself slightly harder to hit than a fart in a drafty baseball stadium.

If you can get blur (might need UMD, which in the build I mentioned means Charisma and points in the Use Magic Device (UMD) skill) from wands or scrolls, usually the arcane in the party has it at well, you can get ghostly from items (dusk heart, which drops in the Sands of Menechtaurun (I think), there are other sources but brain fart keeping me from telling you what), you can get stoneskin from either wands, scrolls, or clickies from armor, etc....

On my "last" life, the current one I'm on, I hit myself with blur, then throw on my Cloak of Invisibility (which has ghostly), then in the event I DO get hit, hit myself with stoneskin, barkskin, etc.... Most of these things I don't carry from life to life, I just find an option that is cheap to buy and go with that.

An unlucky roll, I concede, means you will get hit. The same would happen with any of the solutions posted to this forum. For the vast majority of NOT unlucky rolls, you don't get touched at all :P

The dodge-y related feats are: dodge, mobility, Lightning reflexes (I never take this because I'm lazy), I'm sure there's more. How successful all my advice is depends on how you want to play. For ME, the aforementioned was good enough to carry me through the majority of my lives. I also rarely jumped into battle and just stood there swinging my weapon, preferring a "string em out and take em on one by one" kind of approach... you can use the environment to your advantage as well.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Okay thanks.
    Just one more question regarding items worth. how do i know something is worth a lot. for example i have +2 rapier of vertigo (MC) and i have absolutely no idea if it should goto vendor or maybe an auction. Basicly how do i price check items
    That's a vendor.

It takes a little time to get a feel for what is good stuff and what isn't.
    In general, weapons that have things other than damage or an effect that can incapacitate or immediately defeat a mob are vendor.
    There are exceptions such as weapons that give a high bonus (+8 or +10) to stun, or mauls with everbright that are good for beating both oozes or rustmonsters.
    Try checking out the pawnbroker in house D (and also Eveningstar, but that is higher level).
    Pawnbrokers sell what other players have sold to them. Occasionally there are "good" weapons there, but it is mostly things people don't think will sell. That should give you an idea of what to vendor.

Also, weapons that have incompatible or unusable effects are not worth much. For example, an axiomatic smiting weapon isn't worth much as you will have a hard time finding chaotic constructs in the game. Anarchic handwraps are usually not worthwhile since any monk wearing them would get a negative level due to alignment incompatibility. (There are almost always exceptions - my monk has a pair of anarchic smiting handwraps specifically for a certain Marut....)

Auctionable items are useful, just not by you.
    A smiting weapon with sonic damage is valuable since constructs don't generally resist sonic damage. A flaming smiter or a shocking smiter would be worth somewhat less as iron golems are healed by fire and flesh golems are hasted by electricity.
    Skill, Stat, and resist items that are "pure" (No +2 resistance of spotting +5, but an item with only +3 resist or only +9 spot) are considered more useful than multi-effect items, in general, at heroic levels because you can use the single effect at a lower character level than something with multiple effects.
    Last edited by Kasiddy; 06-20-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    It's your character.

28 point builds with no gear should be doing normal. read the description of the dif settings, elite is meant for veteran players looking for a challenge, that means well geared characters played by people that know the quest.

Now if you want a challenge, then of course play on elite, but... it's going to be tough.

There is a huge difference between a fresh character and one that has lots of gear and past lives, and there is a huge difference between playing a quest for the first time and for the 100th.

Have patience, build your character, have fun.
    I would emphasize this: Run Normal - easily soloable with your build and stats. Learn the game, techniques and quests. Don't rush into Elite. For a 1st life in particular, Normal is all the xp you need. If you want to run with your friend on Elite, go slow and make him pay for the pots for a little self-healing, curse removal and blindness.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

I see, thank you.
    Items, which increase dps, health, in general survivability and depending on build DCs of special attacks have priority. Utility items with underwater action and feather fall are nice to have, but there are not too many situations where you really want them. In low levels you can slide at walls and take less damage to non damage at all.

My personal low lvl. melee priority list:

Blindness Immunity -> especially on new characters you do not have financial support for potions in 100 stacks. Anything providing a permanent resistance/immunity saves you money for other remedies. Such like remove curse potions

Invulnerability -> available on cannith crafted armor (there are some rare armord with that, too, but they are higher than lvl. 6, iirc). Even on a later on TWF melee I'd wear a heavy armor and use a two handed weapon. With Ftr no problem. That'll give you physical damage immunity for a long time.

Damage Reduction -> Spearblock Bracers from Korthos, for example. Renders most low lvl. mobs harmless, especially archers, but even some spiders and other mobs with natural weapons.

Remove Fear clicky -> the fear spell is the most dangerous on low lvl. for melees. Clickies provide 10 min. of +4 to saves vs. fear effects. Invaluable if you got one. They were common once and also had minimum lvl. 1 for usage.

Shield spell clicky -> absorbs magic missile spell. That means you are immune to casters using only this spell, which there are a lot caster mobs relying on this one.

Two handed weapon -> you rely on your chosen feats and weapons you can use. As a Ftr, take the THF weapon with best attributes you can get, ideally [elemental damage/burst] + Bleeding.

Potions -> Cure Serious Wounds!, Remove Curse!, Heroism!, Haste!, Barkskin!, Lesser Restoration!, Neutralize Poison, Rage, Resistances

With a maximum of damage migitation by heavy armor + invulnerability + spearblock you can easily heal yourself with cure serious potions. Still this is expensive for anyone leveling his/her first character. A hireling will be main healing source and pot.s are life savior. In any way, you are pretty much safe then. Barkskin pot.s make mobs miss you significantly. AC score of 30 - 35 at this lvl. is possible and the benchmark.

All important CL 1 buffs have minimum duration of 5 min. That is very long for your lvl. area. That's why you should get them somehow (use hirelings if you can't afford stacks of potions, let them cast buffs, then dismiss, solo quest, enter next dungeon ;P, rince repeat)

I left out Fortification. With the above listed damage migitation you will not have big problems regarding critical hits. Exceptions are some Ogres maybe but well, if you are not happy to have a cannith crafted heavy fort item (or 75% on that regard) you can skip it any way and use whatever else you want instead.

p.s.: Items increasing specific DCs of your tactical feats are useful only, if you plan on using them everytime. Like if you got a high STR score and you like dropping mobs you might profit more from a STR booster and/or Vertigo weapon than chosing Improved Trip Feat.

While a STR booster is universal for melees, Vertigo is situational. So the STR booster got higher value than your Vertigo item. But you cannot trip every mob (bosses immune, multilegged mobs mostly immune). So you might want to find a weapon with good dps stats and just rely on STR item instead (and some temporary effects like Rage pot.s, Bull STR pot.s). Casters are the most dangerous mob type at your lvl., and they are tripped easily with just high STR score. Other mobs just fail at your high damage migitation.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 06-22-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Hi guys. I have been playing the game for couple of days ( i know not to long but still) and i reached a barrier. I am a level 6 Dwarven Fighter and i just suck. I go on a elite quest with my friend (warforged level 4) and he owns the place while i run from mobs with a tail between my legs. And i have no idea what i am doing wrong, i chose feats and enhancements on my own so it might be the case. I am ready to use my lesser wood just so i can get out of this cesspit. If any of you know any Pre-builds (with enhancments/feats/skills in order) could you paste them in here, i had big trouble finding up to date ones for F2P. Also i apparently chose wrong armor. What should i be looking at while picking all the gear (armor/ring/helmet etc.). For example i have a helmet with resistance (will,fortitude,reflex saves) and i heard it is a bad helmet, is that true? Isnt dodge and resisting Stuns important? Please i need help. All help is greatly appreciated.
    I think what you have been doing so far is just fine. Part of learning what works best is trial and error so that you really understand WHY some choices are better than others. Learn from your friend in game. Ask him WHY he chose the race/class that he has, and WHY not others. Using pre-builds is fine, but until you understand the mechanics (which seem to change from time to time) and such, you will always be relying on the pre-builds.

Part of what I love about this game is creating a weird build, and trying to make it work (at least moderately well).

Random things:
    • As far as evaluating gear, sometimes it comes down to preference and what slot you have available, but the "highest" key stat is the one you should use (yes there are exceptions, like if it makes a stat odd).
    • The only way to figure out if something is worth anything on the AH is to watch the AH. It is so server specific that it boggles my mind why something on one server is worth 100k and on another server I barely get the minimum bid.
    • Stacking is an issue when you are learning the game but Turbine has been nice enough to give you warnings when things aren't stacking and tells you exactly what item it is using for what effect if you scroll up in the general tab on log in.
    • I provided a by slot what you should be looking for. Even as a F2P player, you will be able to purchase things in the AH and get trades through guildies for items you can't normally get yourself. Bracer is arguably the weakest slot currently in the game while Back has the highest demand.
    • Invulnerability is worthless for you if you are running Hard/Elite at level 6 and is the direct reason why I didn't suggest it for you. There is a post floating around discussing why but it basically has to the way combat is resolved. If you are running adventures on Normal, you have until level 9'ish I believe for most F2P quests.
    • Weapons - Holy Silver of X (Crafted, general DR breaker. Wont work for everything but it is a start), Ghostbane (Fighting incorporeal NPC's), Everbright (Blunt; Rust Monsters and Slimes. Carry until level 18'ish. You can drop sooner if you never purchase Vale pack), A Returning Throwing Weapon (Axe or Mace, unless you pick up Bow Strength Feat), and the best DPS weapon you can find/buy. I assume all will be your Dwarf's favorite weapon, as picked in your racial tree.
    • I can provide you with a basic roadmap of gear (Most of it coming from GH Adventure Pack, Cannith Adventure Pack, that you can get daily tokens for, and Wheelon[?] ) that is "easily" obtained. At level 11 (Lord March Plaza) and 15 (MotU pre-quest) have nice gear to fill in some of the holes you are bound to have.

Community Member

so the items are the cause of all this ruckus? god damn it! Are there any guides regarding how to pick items? Also how to get them as i probably sold the RIGHT items to wear.
    I laughed and laughed at this post. Not because I am laughing at you, but because I been there and said the exact same thing. I didn't know anything about this forum when I started 5 years ago. I had heaps of trial and error, but mostly error. I keep my first toon around as s storage garage and to remind me of what I used to play. Oye. You are brilliant to ask questions here. Others (not me) will give you great advice.

Community Member

Ok, for weapons I would suggest looking for the following at low level.
    ENEMY TYPE WEAPON PROPERTIES
    Default Weapon Acid and/or Fire
    Oozes & Rust Monsters Ooze Bane and/or Everbright
    Undead Holy and/or Ghost Bane
    Fire Creatures Frost

At higher levels I would look for the following:

Constructs Smiting
    Outsiders Banishing
    Undead Disruptor
    Demons Cold Iron & Good
    Devils Silver & Good
    Xoriat Creatures Byshek & Good

Community Member

For weapons I would recommend looking for acid <weapon> or Acid <weapon> of Pure Good as your main weapon. Other things to look out for to make a stash for the future would be as follows.

Weapons to look for in your loot or crafting opertunities at low level.
    Default Weapon Acid and/or Fire (acid is usually better) ** I typically use Acid Weapon of Pure Good if possible. **
    Oozes & Rust Monsters Ooze Bane and/or Everbright ** Muchbane is a good choice if you get one **
    Undead Holy and/or Ghost Bane ** I like crafting Holy of Pure Good (for corporial undead) and Ghost Bane of Pure Good (For wraiths) **
    Fire Creatures Frost

Constructs Smiting
    Outsiders Banishing
    Undead Disruptor
    Demons Cold Iron & Good
    Devils Silver & Good
    Xoriat Creatures Byshek & Good

Community Member

I tried to edit my posts to delete the double post and correct the editing on the other but after a half hour of waiting the forums would still not respond to the edit request so here is the re-edited post.

For weapons I would recommend looking for acid <weapon> or Acid <weapon> of Pure Good as your main weapon. Other things to look out for to make a stash for the future would be as follows.

Ok, for weapons I would suggest looking for the following at low level.

Default Weapon : Acid and/or Fire *** Acid is usually Best ***
    Oozes & Rust Monsters : Ooze Bane and/or Everbright
    Undead : Holy and/or Ghost Bane *** I like to Craft Holy of Pure good for corporial undead and Ghost Touched of pure good for Wraiths ***
    Fire Creatures : Frost

Constructs : Smiting
    Outsiders : Banishing
    Undead : Disruptor
    Demons : Cold Iron & Good
    Devils : Silver & Good
    Xoriat Creatures : Byshek & Good

Default need to take your time

Is it really necessery? no way other then that? i got so much favor and all of it will go puff ( i did like 20 quests elite)
    the1st character is a test,kinda..you can earn a free heroic heart(in epic) and put your 1st build behind you.Learn the dungeons on norm /hard.Build you r loot stash and save some items for 2nd life.Alot of eliteplayers have huge catch of items for those runs.(saved from hundreds of dungeons and raids)on other hand ,if you rbuddies r runnin elites allready,they need to help geer you up a littleand warn about dangers ,not just zerg.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 80Ghallanda /51 Sarlona

only real bummer for the fighter class ,is lack of skill points. Skill points help AloT w skills you use(search,spot,heal,)its easy to come up short in high lvls, in simple skills like jump(30-40 jump is handy often)if you are a straight fighter.So fighter needs to be opposite class intent,and hang back in elites..if you cant see traps and stuff...hell enemies have tons of hit points and almost never miss in elite, realy need a game plan other'' than hack and hope''there. wlcome to d&d,computer version ..here you don't have to wait a week to finish an adventure(unlike the way fun dice/book version"your house ...next thursday?'')
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 80Ghallanda /51 Sarlona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast