Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daitengu View Post
    Actually there are no air elementals in that quest.
    Yup, just annoying lag jets of doom.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Siege weapons should be one shotting you.

<too lazy to find and insert backstab with ballista video>
    You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTccvj0gc58#t=221
    Last edited by Blackheartox; 06-20-2014 at 05:50 AM.

In Spies? Yes there is.

Did someone try invising to get to ballistas?

Actually there is one air ele.
    I know because that was the hardest part for me in he spies, was trying to kill him for over a min, he just throws you down on electric floor.
    There is no air ele on epic, but there is on heroic elite.
    Maybe there is on epic too, but I dont remember it.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 06-20-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Did someone try invising to get to ballistas?(...)
    In e3bc, yes. I immediately got the airship shots and/or grappling hooks - they seem to be immune to invis. In Storm the Beaches I have not tried - the normal invis effect from my cloak did not make the Ballistae loose target.

Did someone try invising to get to ballistas?
    I've even seen people sneak up to them w/o invis.

Getting to them is not all that hard. What is hard is taking them down while they shoot you in point-blank range. The spots where they are grouped by 2~3 are particularly bad for this. One would think that a few well-placed fireballs or other AoE spells would do the trick, but these Sentient Ballistae are also more agile than the best tricksters and monks of Xendrik!
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post

These are Epic Balistas. They are magicly augmented to shoot at 1000fps. They shoot Staves of the Magi preset to Retributive Strike with Vorpal Blades for a warhead and are guided by the sentient fletching pulled from Vrock demons and bound with their hideous souls.....

My next PnP group is really gonna hate you...

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    In Spies? Yes there is.
    Where? I ran this quest alot and never saw one. Only Water and Fire in there.

Are they shooting spell dmg or ranged?
    If spell, did someone try using absorb items and see if it will absorb the dmg?
    If ranged, does displace help?

It is with fire eles I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP9SjR0lBGU
    Go to 29:00.
    Not my video.
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 06-20-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Good question, actually. Displacement does not help, so much I can say. Neither does Ghostly, by the way. I did not bother to remain in the AOE to see if I get hit by 60 points of damage less due to some resistance and get only killed 1.8 times instead of 2 times over...

Edit: And before somebody states now that 60 resistance is too low or 2 times over my hit points are too low - this are example values to demonstrate the fact that I had no intention to get me wantonly killed just to find out...
    Last edited by Nestroy; 06-20-2014 at 08:17 AM.

It's AoE fire damage. I do wonder just how much absorb one would need to survive that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    It's AoE fire damage. I do wonder just how much absorb one would need to survive that, though.
    So use fire shield.
    Tried using absorb item?

Some more testing. The main damage is piercing damage, does about 300 points on EN, 500 (?) on EH and ??? on EE. The AOE is fire/detonation (like firey detonation) with about EN 200 points of damage. Fire Shield helps somewhat, as does resistance fire. I got the damage down to about 100 on EN. The AOE is increasing with difficutly, or so it seems. So hard evading by stafing or running is harder on EH. I would like to see other players confirm this.

and again, neither the piercing damage nor the aoe currently are evadeable or saveable.

Default Ballista in Storm the Beaches

Did some testing on enorm. It would seem the ballista does 2 types of damage. It does aoe fire damage, in combat log it's called 'demolishing explosion', the other one is piercing damage in case of a direct hit. You can obviously be hit by both.
    The explosion damage seems to be subject to resistance, absorption effects and fire shield. I had fire shield cold active while testing. The piercing damage is probably subject to DR, if u have it.
    On a side note, enorm ballista has DR 13/adamantine.

I actually like that ballistas are active in epic Storm the Beaches. Makes the quest much more fun. What surprised me is that the damage is contrary to my understanding of game mechanics. I dont mind being one-shotted, happened before, many times even. But no save, no evasion, no dodge, no blurry, no ghostly? Seriously? Why can my toon evade the epic 3bc airship ballista damage but not the one in StB? There's something fishy about that.

It's a ballista. It's a huge spear or chucks a rock. This one acts more like an exploding catapult shot with large AOE. It's just silly.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Invitation

The Epic 3BC area is a blast and oodles of good times.

I know not everyone may have an epic toon on Sarlona, but I want to extend an invitation to come run the epic 3BC slayer with me. I've got my routes down and angles covered. Of course I'm always game to learn something new. The xbows and airships are easy once you got the methods and routes down.

Here is my under level and under geared iconic dropping 2 of the ships without the xbows on first play through:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5359953

You can msg me here or find me on Sarlona. If I'm not busy in a quest already, I would love to run some slayer fun with you. As long as you can get into the Epic 3BC slayer, all are welcome.

EDIT ~ I'm also down for EE Storm the Beaches and have some strategery for that quest as well.
    Last edited by Livmo; 06-20-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    You and I have had very different experiences in this quest!

Now...I'm NOT saying I can't run Spies in the House!
    I'm NOT saying I don't like the quest...although it is a Mario quest which I've always been particularly hard on I actually really like Spies in the House!

Prot Ele is removed after one hit and even with Resists you'll still take damage from that floor from that hit!
    The second hit WILL kill you!
    And as you're lying on your back for the first hit and you usually need to take at least one more hit to get back to the crates getting knocked on to that floor is a death sentence!

As for Dismissing Strike - It's wonderful when it goes off - Popping Air Eles is one thing in DDO that's guaranteed to make me smile!
    BUT
    It rarely goes off!!!
    Because I get into range - I hit Dismissing Strike and I'm flying through the air!

I've run out of Ki on multiple occasions trying to dismiss Air Eles in DDO {Not just in Spies either!}

Monks are the one class that in my experience have the single worst experience vs Air Eles - Mainly because the melee range of a monk is significantly less than that of any other melee!
    The Air Ele will knock you back before you can hit it 99% of the time - So annoying that I rarely go anywhere near Whirling Ozann in Sands once I've killed it once EVEN while farming the other nearby rares!

I keep reading "wear this or that" but where am I supposed to wear all this stuff exactly?

Just changing one item usually ends with having to change multiple!

The Ring of the Djinn may have been {not sure if it's still} a required piece of kit for running FoT but the Heroic version is nothing special and does take up a valuable ring slot!
    Swapping it in for the Electric floors would help but it's also a higher min level than Elite Spies!

What annoys me more however is the INEVITABLE Hireling death {even when significantly over-levelling the quest on the lvl 20+ favour run - no way I'm attempting EE on said quest!}

Anyway...Spies in the House and it's issues is off-topic for this thread - Back to the Insane Sentient Ballistas in Storm the Beaches.....
    Actually it's not off topic cause the OP asked if they changed the electric floors

Anyway, cannith crafted 33% elec absorption is ML5. I've never been one shotted by the floor, even on EE i've always had time to heal and jump back on the crates. Air elementals got a safe distance from where you can 100% hit them and they won't knockback you, just cast some spells at you: need to be quick with your QP, jade tomb or dismissing strike though, cause they usually don't stand still for much time.

It's where you have to kill 4 elementals to go ahead. It's only there on HE and EE though, on other difficulties there are just 4 fire elementals.
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    My next PnP group is really gonna hate you...

Heh, that actually occurred in a PnP game. So you got precident.

Though to be fair it was kinda my fault. I had a mage that was on the hunt for a way to create bastard swords that functioned as a staff of power. Well suffice to say collaborators don't always stay allies.
    Last edited by Rykka; 06-21-2014 at 04:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast