Default Ruby vs Ruby Augment

I am working on a Thunder Forged Q-Staff (don't laugh) and I am starting to look at what to place in the Augment slots (Orange, Red, and probably Purple-I don't think I will run the Dragon raids enough to make Mortal Fear). I have done some quick work regarding the Ruby Eyes vs Ruby. When (if) does the Ruby Eye produce more DPS? I am looking at this from a single enemy perspective, seeing as AOE damage is truly relative to the amount of mobs present at the time of effect.

Community Member

If you dont imvest in doublestrike chances, thf feats and that stuff... a ml 28 augment (maybe even a 24 or 20) will be more dps than a ruby eye against single mobs.

Edit* i have tf greataxe tier 1 and on a barb with the 3 thf feats + barb enh to extra chance of proc i saw numbers around 100- 180 with a ruby of force ( dunno if it has a save) keep in mind that is a 2% chance only so a standard augment is more reliable. A lvl 28 is in average a extra of 9 points of damage i belive.
    Last edited by LeonAureo; 06-22-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post
    If you dont imvest in doublestrike chances, thf feats and that stuff... a ml 28 augment (maybe even a 24 or 20) will be more dps than a ruby eye against single mobs.
    This statement is patently false. The relatively goodness of ruby eye and regular dps augment is not in any way affected by doublestrike, or even thf feats. The more often you hit, the more often the augments work.

It's be easy enough to verify which is better. Calculate how much damage a hit of ruby eye does, then multiply that with 0,02. Then compare that to a single hit of regular augment.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by era42 View Post
    This statement is patently false. The relatively goodness of ruby eye and regular dps augment is not in any way affected by doublestrike, or even thf feats. The more often you hit, the more often the augments work.

It's be easy enough to verify which is better. Calculate how much damage a hit of ruby eye does, then multiply that with 0,02. Then compare that to a single hit of regular augment.
    What i tried (and failed) to say its that if you invest in the thf line you get more mileage of the ruby eyes. How? if you are surrounded by mobs (great strategy in heroics, bad in epics) that feat line allows you to strike more mobs with one swing giving you extra chances for it to proc against multiple targets, more monsters= more targets for the aoe= more dps. You are right tho, double strike would afect both in the same way so its not a plus to 2hf.

Edit*

So if you use a ruby eye of tempest, wich is 1d20 per level in a ml 28 thinderforged you would get 28-560, with a average of 294.
    That with a 2% chance is a average of 5.88 extra damage per hit ( if my math is right).

Ml 24 augments are 1d10 so they give you a average of 5.5 damage per hit. if you have only this option a ruby eye is better dps ( keep in mind: regular ruby is constant damage, eyes could act when your target has less than 100 hp and would be wasted dps against 1 single mob)

If you are using ml 28 augments those are 2d6 and that is a average of 7 damage per hit, here the eye is less dps against 1 single mob

Now, just for giggles:
    If you are use meteoric star rubies those are 1d6 bludgeonining + 3d6 fire dmge per level or 28 to 168 (blud) + 84 to 504 (fire) average 98 + 308 for a grand total of 1.96 bludgeon + 6.16 fire damage per hit (8.12) a bit ahead of a ml 28 ruby (but this one is freaking expensive in the auction houses)
    Last edited by LeonAureo; 06-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post
    What i tried (and failed) to say its that if you invest in the thf line you get more mileage of the ruby eyes. How? if you are surrounded by mobs (great strategy in heroics, bad in epics) that feat line allows you to strike more mobs with one swing giving you extra chances for it to proc against multiple targets, more monsters= more targets for the aoe= more dps. You are right tho, double strike would afect both in the same way so its not a plus to 2hf.

Edit*

So if you use a ruby eye of tempest, wich is 1d20 per level in a ml 28 thinderforged you would get 28-560, with a average of 294.
    That with a 2% chance is a average of 5.88 extra damage per hit ( if my math is right).

Ml 24 augments are 1d10 so they give you a average of 5.5 damage per hit. if you have only this option a ruby eye is better dps ( keep in mind: regular ruby is constant damage, eyes could act when your target has less than 100 hp and would be wasted dps against 1 single mob)

If you are using ml 28 augments those are 2d6 and that is a average of 7 damage per hit, here the eye is less dps against 1 single mob

Now, just for giggles:
    If you are use meteoric star rubies those are 1d6 bludgeonining + 3d6 fire dmge per level or 28 to 168 (blud) + 84 to 504 (fire) average 98 + 308 for a grand total of 1.96 bludgeon + 6.16 fire damage per hit (8.12) a bit ahead of a ml 28 ruby (but this one is freaking expensive in the auction houses)
    This was what my math told me as well, the AoE is nice and flashy, but anything less than Meteoric Star is fairly equal in terms of single enemy DPS. So I will stick with my Sireth with Endless Night for the near future. Maybe I will just sell the Ingots for AS.