Thread: The Community

Community Member

Default The Community

Hi!!

My name is Avrath, I have played this game casually off and on since before it was F2p. (I was never very good but still came back every so often to check it out)

The last time I came back was around the release of Half orc I think?

I always loved coming back to this game, even though I was good I was met with care fun loving people who were a pleasure to talk to and would gladly show you where the traps were and tell you what house to go to for a quest. I love this community, even though I could never find a role that was me.

I came back this recent time to the opposite problem. I have fallen in love with a class called artificer. It is the most fun I've ever had in this game, and the most fun I've had in an mmo since FF11 (also an amazing community).

Since coming back to you, one of the greatest communities I have ever played with, I have been trolled more than even in WOW. My highest before this in ddo was 7 cleric. Now as a 12 artificer I've never done any of these quests. So no, i'm sorry I don't know which house the quest is in. I'm sorry I don't know where the trap boxes are. Yes I maxed my search, and maxed my int, but no my 26 to search isn't quite enough. (and where is the desert)

I'm not on here just to whine, but more curious, what happened to this community? we, mostly you guys, were so much better than any out there, just honest to god good people.

I was refused on a quest this morning because I wasn't TR, I am not 100% sure how to TR lol.

I have about 20 days left in my sub, After that I may put down DDO for the rest of it's life.

Thank you all for listening to me, and hopefully we can remember the noob, for we were all noob at one point, with someone else telling us go to house P, and sharing the quest with us.

I

Community Member

I am sorry you experienced such terrible treatment. Those orcs are not a typical representation of the players, most of whom are very nice and fun. There are 'Smiths' on almost all servers who will craft some items for new lowbies. There is a thread around here somewhere about them. Maybe they can help you with disable, search, and spot gear to bring up those skills.

It doesn't hurt to let a party leader know up front that your are new or inexperienced with a quest, and some players will even hand a trapper/locksmith a pack of +5 thieves tools if needed. Hang in there, and I am sure you will find the wheat among the chaff.

Yay! I found the link.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

I am really sorry to hear that.

I hope you might have another go and see if you get different people because there are some lovely people out there. But I can understand if you want to put DDO away for a while.

And yeah artis are super fun
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

The Desert = The Sands of Menechtarun {or The Demon Sands} A P2P Pack that as a VIP you can get to from a Warforged NPC {Can't recall his name atm} behind Airship Access at the bottom of the ramp to the Airship tower in the Marketplace.

TR = True Reincarnation - Something that you cannot even consider before hitting Lvl 20 - TR only Groups have been around in DDO for at least as long as I have and I first found this game back in 2010.
    Read the LFM and if it says TRs Only or similar that group is not for you YET.

Don't rush to 20 just to TR though as you will be doubly expected to know every single nook and cranny of Heroic Quests once you have those symbols next to your name!

As for Trapping - It doesn't matter if you have 40 Int at Lvl 12 - You won't get Traps without the right Gear - +5 Tools = +7 to Disable and Open Lock and are an absolute must....I personally stick 3 or 4 x 50 of these up on the AH daily for 2k buyout and they sell within a couple of hours on most occasions - At Lvl 12 2k plat is 3 or 4 quests worth of vendor trash at most!

A +10 Disable item is also a must have by these levels and is available on items as low as min lvl 5!
    +15 items are available too but much rarer.

Don't skimp on your Search Skill or Item either - You can get away without maxing Spot so long as you learn where to Search {Spot only tells you where to search after all} but Search is absolutely vital to a Trapper and unlike Disable doesn't use a D20 roll - If you can't find the trap you can't find the trap and Maxing your Disable will be of no help!

One spell that is a Godsend to Trappers is Heroism/Greater Heroism +2/+4 to all skills!
    Heroism is available in pot form and you should make sure you have enough of these to last through your day - they stack up to 100 and even if you drank multiples in every quest that should last you 3-4 days easily!
    The Guild Pot Vendor in House K is the best place to buy them from!

GH is much rarer but if you're in a group with a Wizard or Sorc at Lvl 12 + it's highly likely they have this spell and should be more than willing to cast it on the trapper {Scrolls are available too and being able to pass the Sorc a couple of scrolls to cast on you will be helpful as he/she's rather less likely than a wizard to actually carry the spell!}.

At higher Levels with the UMD score available to an Arti you should be able to reliable scroll GH on yourself as well.

P.S. A Total Disable score of +40 with tools is pretty much mandatory in Lvl 13+ content
    That would be 16 from levels, 8 from 26 Int, 4 from GH, 7 from Tools and a +5 item.
    with a +15 item you should never blow up a trap box!

Default Kupper Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    The Desert = The Sands of Menechtarun {or The Demon Sands} A P2P Pack that as a VIP you can get to from a Warforged NPC {Can't recall his name atm} behind Airship Access at the bottom of the ramp to the Airship tower in the Marketplace.

TR = True Reincarnation - Something that you cannot even consider before hitting Lvl 20 - TR only Groups have been around in DDO for at least as long as I have and I first found this game back in 2010.
    Read the LFM and if it says TRs Only or similar that group is not for you YET.

Don't rush to 20 just to TR though as you will be doubly expected to know every single nook and cranny of Heroic Quests once you have those symbols next to your name!

As for Trapping - It doesn't matter if you have 40 Int at Lvl 12 - You won't get Traps without the right Gear - +5 Tools = +7 to Disable and Open Lock and are an absolute must....I personally stick 3 or 4 x 50 of these up on the AH daily for 2k buyout and they sell within a couple of hours on most occasions - At Lvl 12 2k plat is 3 or 4 quests worth of vendor trash at most!

A +10 Disable item is also a must have by these levels and is available on items as low as min lvl 5!
    +15 items are available too but much rarer.

Don't skimp on your Search Skill or Item either - You can get away without maxing Spot so long as you learn where to Search {Spot only tells you where to search after all} but Search is absolutely vital to a Trapper and unlike Disable doesn't use a D20 roll - If you can't find the trap you can't find the trap and Maxing your Disable will be of no help!

One spell that is a Godsend to Trappers is Heroism/Greater Heroism +2/+4 to all skills!
    Heroism is available in pot form and you should make sure you have enough of these to last through your day - they stack up to 100 and even if you drank multiples in every quest that should last you 3-4 days easily!

GH is much rarer but if you're in a group with a Wizard or Sorc at Lvl 12 + it's highly likely they have this spell and should be more than willing to cast it on the trapper {Scrolls are available too and being able to pass the Sorc a couple of scrolls to cast on you will be helpful as he/she's rather less likely than a wizard to actually carry the spell!}.

At higher Levels with the UMD score available to an Arti you should be able to reliable scroll GH on yourself as well.

P.S. A Total Disable score of +40 with tools is pretty much mandatory in Lvl 13+ content
    That would be 16 from levels, 8 from 26 Int, 4 from GH, 7 from Tools and a +5 item.
    with a +15 item you should never blow up a trap box!
    Best NPC name in the game. He's to the right and slightly behind the airship entrance in Marketplace. At level 12-ish 26 search isn't all that great, but as many have said most people will be happy to either hand you what you need or craft it, as that helps the entire community.

Artificer is turrble! J/K

As to the community, I think this is the natural progression of the playerbase, and it's probably the same for a lot of more established MMOs... We're getting better and better at the game, staying around longer, and so getting to the point where a lot of people just want to meet their arbitrary goal as quickly as possible as being their new definition of "fun"...

The trolling you're talking about is the direct result of trolling from the other direction, i.e. new players or returning players demanding everyone slow down for them, give them loot they like, or just being generally obnoxious. This theory is backed up when you consider the state of the "healer". When you left, groups still looked for "healer", and this is no longer the case, due in no small part to people rolling up "healing" classes, then either not taking any healing spells and claiming they are DPS, or taking healing spells then absolutely refusing to heal anyone. I will go one step further and say the same about rogues, in that trapping is for the most part a bygone endeavor, as now everyone just runs through the trap and hopes evasion or saves carries them through; it's a rare occasion that I actually see a rogue kneel to disable a trap in a lot of groups now; being able to UMD heal scrolls and out-DPS the melees in the group is now more important. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when someone joins and needs a little help, it can lead to some ruffled feathers.

Lemme break it down to you how it is now:

1. Healers who heal are no longer really wanted. Only people who solo want heals, and for that, there's hireling(tm)
    2. Trappers who trap, rangers who range, barbs with no AC, and Paladins are now red-headed stepchildren. The goal now is to all build a full on death machine who can do nothing else but kill mobs as quickly as possible while not burdening others for heals, buffs, or any kind of help.
    3. You must know every facet of every quest unless the quest has been released less than 48 hours prior. The idea that an F2P person would wait THIS long to purchase VIP is as alien as responding to the inevitable /trade channel "selling 213 siberys dragonshard fragments 500kpp PST" with anything but insults and snarky comments.
    4. You are expected to pull your weight, and this is most often measured in kill count. The reasoning is if you cannot equally split the kill count 6 ways every quest then there is now a hierarchy of who is better than whom based on who hit the mob last. It's a very complicated, yet infallible formulae.

This is not to say everyone's a jerk so deal with it; not at all. There are lots, and I mean LOTS, of groups that are happy enough for company that they'll slow down, yet good enough that they can complete a quest with or without you, and thusly can take the time to show you the ropes without too much consternation on their behalf all over every server. I would look for groups that say "no zerg", or have the difficulty set for something other than Elite, or for "off" quests... like Caverns of Korromar and Temple of Vol and stuff like that. Those groups tend to have a slightly more lax, laid back mentality, and may be just what you need.

The prevailing response is usually "just solo it on Normal and work your way up", but that isn't what you log into an MMO for.... there are lots of like minded people out there, don't give up!
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

One problem you may be encountering is that everyone plays elite difficulty due to the bravery bonus streaks. On a relatively recent character that had the best rogue gear per level I had some difficulty in quests finding traps, due to being multi-class with a sub-par int. The traps in some parts of the desert that you reported being in just seemed to be tweaked to assuming elite = 2 over level with best of everything. Fortunately for you if you can find a friendly crafter the gear should not be an issue since you're maxing int (its a littler drier in the AH finding gear since I think the drop-rate on good rogue gear got tweaked).

I think part of the problem is that Argo (I assume you're on Argo) has developed a guild/channel grouping culture, which works for established people, not so much for new people. It still has a reasonable pug scene, but those people tend to be flying through the levels because Turbine tweaked the game from a loot chase to a past life chase, which means XP and speed is king.

Best you can do is let people know you're new and how long it's been since you were in the game. Hopefully, what happens is you kick people's nostalgia into over-drive and they'll start telling you all about what's changed and what to expect and you can catch up to speed that way. You might run into some jerks at the same time, but that's their problem, not yours. I've found the pug scene to be quite friendly and accepting of deaths/newness. Pretty much no one I've run into cares anymore about the mythical -10% and if they do, it's usually a sign something else is askew with their personality. It might be a matter of different perspective based on longer experience or play-time.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    I think part of the problem is that Argo (I assume you're on Argo) has developed a guild/channel grouping culture, which works for established people, not so much for new people. It still has a reasonable pug scene, but those people tend to be flying through the levels because Turbine tweaked the game from a loot chase to a past life chase, which means XP and speed is king.

Best you can do is let people know you're new and how long it's been since you were in the game. Hopefully, what happens is you kick people's nostalgia into over-drive and they'll start telling you all about what's changed and what to expect and you can catch up to speed that way. You might run into some jerks at the same time, but that's their problem, not yours. I've found the pug scene to be quite friendly and accepting of deaths/newness. Pretty much no one I've run into cares anymore about the mythical -10% and if they do, it's usually a sign something else is askew with their personality. It might be a matter of different perspective based on longer experience or play-time.
    So much of this.
    Argo is a funny server in that most of the established players play almost exclusively in channels/guild, and those that DO PUG have gotten to the point where they just expect everyone else to know the quests. It's not so much us being rude, but we don't get as many new players as some other servers and here on the forums, and often in game the advice I've seen given is "Go look at other servers" And so we've simply gotten used to playing with people who even if they don't know everything, they know enough to get by without being a "burden" on our xp/min ratio.

We're all really nice is our own special way, and once you become part of the community there isn't a better server around.

And you know, I think the only time I've heard anyone say anything about the -10% from deaths was directed at me. And it was someone I knew really well sarcastically giving me a hard time. (Of course I then agro'd half the map, got red alert, and dragged all the mobs back to him to watch him die. ~He couldn't break the skelli DR in delera's. )

Like others have said, just let people know you're new, or returning from a very, very long break.
    If people know you're new they won't expect you to know everything.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shougo View Post
    hopefully we can remember the noob, for we were all noob at one point, with someone else telling us go to house P, and sharing the quest with us.
    I
    Helping new players burns a person out. The assistance needed is endless and at some point this is a game we play for our own enjoyment so time is needed to focus on ones own goals to actually enjoy the parts they login for.

Respect and appreciation of people's time works both ways. If a quest description says elite, show those in the party the respect and consideration for them to assemble a group of elite adventures in the same way that you would like to be shown for being new to the content.

I try to only converse politely with others on the server, i play a variation of difficulties myself though i understand the frustrations elitists experience with new players joining in. Everyone new to the game wants the best immediately and to perform the best when those elite quest styles really do need knowledge and experience to accomplish well. And not everyone chooses to let a person know they are not well prepared to assist in a polite way, we all have different personalities after all.

Quote Originally Posted by shougo View Post
    Hi!!

My name is Avrath, I have played this game casually off and on since before it was F2p. (I was never very good but still came back every so often to check it out)

The last time I came back was around the release of Half orc I think?

I always loved coming back to this game, even though I was good I was met with care fun loving people who were a pleasure to talk to and would gladly show you where the traps were and tell you what house to go to for a quest. I love this community, even though I could never find a role that was me.

I came back this recent time to the opposite problem. I have fallen in love with a class called artificer. It is the most fun I've ever had in this game, and the most fun I've had in an mmo since FF11 (also an amazing community).

Since coming back to you, one of the greatest communities I have ever played with, I have been trolled more than even in WOW. My highest before this in ddo was 7 cleric. Now as a 12 artificer I've never done any of these quests. So no, i'm sorry I don't know which house the quest is in. I'm sorry I don't know where the trap boxes are. Yes I maxed my search, and maxed my int, but no my 26 to search isn't quite enough. (and where is the desert)

I'm not on here just to whine, but more curious, what happened to this community? we, mostly you guys, were so much better than any out there, just honest to god good people.

I was refused on a quest this morning because I wasn't TR, I am not 100% sure how to TR lol.

I have about 20 days left in my sub, After that I may put down DDO for the rest of it's life.

Thank you all for listening to me, and hopefully we can remember the noob, for we were all noob at one point, with someone else telling us go to house P, and sharing the quest with us.

I
    You have a game where there is a possibility of the other 5 people in the group having a combined 42 years of experience playing this game (92 years for raids) and come from a version of this game that had quite a steep difficulty/learning curve and a manual that was already out of date when the game launched. They are going to be opinionated and a good chance that they want things done in an exact manner that they may or may not communicate to you. Just move on. Either to forming your own groups where everyone can be as laid back as you want, or to an entirely new game where people are still discovering how things work. Then, 5+ years down the line you can be the opinionated person instead or learn from some of the jerks that are out there, both old and new.

If you are having problems with a group being abusive or trolling, squelch and/or report as necessary. Absolutely don't follow this advice as it would be griefing...

1. Put your right foot in.
    2. Pull your right foot out.
    3. Put your right foot in.
    4. /death
    5. /quit party
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

Greater Heroism Pots can be obtained from Verisgante in House Jorasco for turning in collectables dropped by Giants and Trolls (just farm the Jungles of Khyber pre-quest or Gianthold for these collectables).
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!