Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Hiponic View Post
    So I head on over to go look for a new game.. tried Wow (12 Million people cant be wrong ..HA)
    I know I'm double-posting but one thing that is not considered here is: McDonalds also boasts the most served...

I.e. "the most" does not = "the best"

I have to agree with the OP. I used to play the Total War series virtually to death,and then I discovered DDO. I tried neverwinter, and gave GW2 a try, but I still come back to 15 characters in ddo. Thanks Turbine.
    TYRS PALADIUM......Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Ranger/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monk/Hesteban fvs /Skummspawn cleric /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts rogue /Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster ftr/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Alisonique View Post
    I have to agree with the OP. I used to play the Total War series virtually to death,and then I discovered DDO.
    The other day I played with a girl who had sub-rosa in her bio. Been too intimidated to ask her if she was the real, one and only Sub Rosa from Amazon Total War.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Yes, DDO has some very uniques stuff. The management should have realized that a while ago.

The reason why DDO is not one of the 10+million playerbase games is fairly simple:

* People cant bother with technical diffculties (you gotta be log in to play the game)
    * Lockouts for free to plays
    * General Questing Lockouts
    * Presentation. Ui Grafix and static screenies arent too great
    I really don't know why they don't do more to fix these issues. Or maybe they are and we just can't see. Many people have brought these up and requested their priority.

OP very positive . Yeah my first MMO too. I've tried a few others but nah. It's refreshing to have a break to other things now and then but this one is home.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Default Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    The other day I played with a girl who had sub-rosa in her bio. Been too intimidated to ask her if she was the real, one and only Sub Rosa from Amazon Total War.

Funny, I have to agree with many of the posts here. It strikes a curious cord also that TW has been mentioned a few times. I was a complete Rome Total war fan (still think of playing occasionally), then tried out DDO and was hooked. Is there a relation between the games? Maybe they both require some grasp of strategy I guess? That is not everyones cup of tea but it is mine. I had a very brief run on Never winter but it just did not "catch" my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Yes, DDO has some very uniques stuff. The management should have realized that a while ago.

The reason why DDO is not one of the 10+million playerbase games is fairly simple:

* People cant bother with technical diffculties (you gotta be log in to play the game)
    * Lockouts for free to plays
    * General Questing Lockouts
    * Presentation. Ui Grafix and static screenies arent too great
    There is little to no quest gating here in DDO, besides your own characters level and flagging for raids. Today's kids cant be bothered with games more complicated than reading their own emails and text messages any longer. They want Zinga/Facebook simplicity. They play a game for 2-3 weeks then move on.

Im GLAD Turbine built DDO from the ground up with re-playability in mind. This current crop of young gamer, yearns for the simplicity and streamlined gaming experience that's just not prevalent in DDO. So in a sense, DDO, which at its inception was considered too simple in some gamers' eyes, is now the mature D&D fantasy MMO title its original creators were shooting for, and hence has probably reached if not surpassed its original goals.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 06-19-2014 at 10:42 AM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I don't know how TR isn't a staple in every other MMO by now. The amount of replayability it adds to this game is just staggering, and its been around for so long.
    Without tr's I know the game would be dead. They just give you direction and an aim, and now epic ones... We all mock ddo for it's bugs... But everyone knows it's the best.
    Zenarek of G-Lands

Zenite of G-lands

Zenarek of Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjwizard View Post
    Very nice, lol.

Yeah I'm with you on that: DDO has its problems but its still the very best game out there by a long shot. And, honestly, getting better. Bugs are bad but they are bugs, in general most of the changes have been positive( please not the use of the qualifer "most" in that statement).

Also let it never go unsaid that 12 million people can, in fact, be wrong. Don't make me site examples...
    Just list any religion.

Most chart topping music, all talent show voting
    Democracy (which these days is more or less indistinguishable from the next item in the list)
    Religion
    Domestic abuse.

Some extremely popular things which all prove that millions of people can very very easily be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Default Same boat

I used to play FPS's (TF2, CS, DoD) and some RTS's (CoH) but not that much anymore. Tried other MMORPGs (LOTRO, ESO) but they are meh in comparison.

Community Member

Bet you thought this was gonna be another hate thread on how ddo has changed? Nope..

My problem.. I never played video games until 6-7 Months ago when this game fell in my lap.. cant even remember how i came across it tbh.
    I've been playing this like a career since i started and found my self getting a little bit burnt out so decided to take a week break.

So I head on over to go look for a new game.. tried Wow (12 Million people cant be wrong ..HA) DC Universe, Never winter...

No game can compare to this... The battle's sucks.. character customization... pleeeease Idc what my toon looks like i want to build its stats..
    I cant fathom how this game isnt the one with 12 million players...

So I just wanted to say thanks ddo for creating a epic game... you have your ups and downs but this is by far the best thing in my opinion.

And thanks for ruining MMORPG's for me... You have my loyalty ill never wander again.
    Oh you totally had me there, well played.
    I am, like you, ruined in regards to playing other MMO's at this point. I have been here since day one, and have had the same burnouts many people get from time to time. That have lead to trying three other games during the last eight years:
    WoW took me 1 hour to decide was not for me, in my view I simply dont get how 12 millions can be that wrong!
    Bought a lifetime super duper with sprinkles on top subscription to LOTRO - worst Investment EVER! I do think my level 26ish tank is still in there somewhere.
    The only thing that ever held me away from DDO gaming wise was Command and Conquer Generals, yeah yeah I know not an MMO or anything, but bombing the **** out of one or more of your friends bases just hold some fun for me

However among the many people I have tried to lure here; two quit with the "its to hard to get it right" (saddens me cause thats what I find is so great) remark but I still have one or two of "the 12 million" that have interest in comming back from time to time.

Anyway all os good here. My Evoker is back in working order after a few heroic and epic lives, now to focus more on them other 18 toons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Let the nerd rage flow through you. Don't hold back. I bought a lot of popcorn in anticipation for when Turbine decided to finally fix one of the many easy buttons.
    Danish migrant from DDO Europe, where I have been playing since beta.
    Thelanis (since march 2010)

Not to be the naysayer here, but that simplicity all of you deride gets people in the door. No one wants to play a game when they can’t catch-on to the rules. The complexity you love is also a barrier to entry.

Likewise, simplicity gets them in the door, but won’t keep them. There has to be more depth to keep people hooked.

I think one of the things that can be done to get the best of both words is to revise the standard path templates, and make them more “vet approved.” This, of course, goes hand-in-hand with making pure classes worth the investment, which is notably lacking these days.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

So I head on over to go look for a new game.. tried Wow (12 Million people cant be wrong ..HA) DC Universe, Never winter...

No game can compare to this... The battle's sucks.. character customization... pleeeease Idc what my toon looks like i want to build its stats..
    Because people like different things. A large amount of those 12 million wow players are casual players, the game is the activity they are doing together while they socialize. Others like pure hack and slash, kill x amount of y critters to complete a quest.

Every person is different, in what they enjoy and like. Those 12 million players aren't wrong, but I can't play with them and have any fun all the same. And sadly a want of gamers want their games really easy to master. They don't want to have to figure out builds and complicated stacking, while others of us love that and enjoy working through it. It's all perspective and what people find fun.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Not to be the naysayer here, but that simplicity all of you deride gets people in the door. No one wants to play a game when they can’t catch-on to the rules. The complexity you love is also a barrier to entry.

Likewise, simplicity gets them in the door, but won’t keep them. There has to be more depth to keep people hooked.

I think one of the things that can be done to get the best of both words is to revise the standard path templates, and make them more “vet approved.” This, of course, goes hand-in-hand with making pure classes worth the investment, which is notably lacking these days.
    Good points, I completely agree.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Because people like different things. A large amount of those 12 million wow players are casual players, the game is the activity they are doing together while they socialize. Others like pure hack and slash, kill x amount of y critters to complete a quest.

Every person is different, in what they enjoy and like. Those 12 million players aren't wrong, but I can't play with them and have any fun all the same. And sadly a want of gamers want their games really easy to master. They don't want to have to figure out builds and complicated stacking, while others of us love that and enjoy working through it. It's all perspective and what people find fun.
    I play different games depending on my mood. There are some games that reward exploring like Rift or ESO. There are some games that have great stories. Etc.

Community Member

DDO is not a true mmo at heart, it is an instanced rpg that has multiplayer. That's why it's not terrible. Every true mmo is an awful w+mouse 1 experience, where you try to get faster mounts so that you waste less of your life holding down the forward button.

Community Member

Yeah I spent a little bit of time away from DDO playing ESO and Path of Exile (Cool New Zealand created Action RPG.) but at the end of the day I come back to DDO, I have had several breaks from the game - lasting from between 2 months to 6 months, but I have returned once again.

I really thought ESO might have been the game to pull me away from DDO permanently and there are a few similarities between the two games, but when a newly released game does things a lot more poorly than an eight year old game then you know it's time to look elsewhere.

Where DDO really kicks ESO's arse is in the following:
    -Collision detection, you think DDO's is poor go and play ESO and ROFL whilst crying.
    -Grouping mechanics, DDO's lfm panel is easy to use, try grouping in ESO, UGHHHHHHHHH......
    -In game voice, easy to use and works pretty decently.
    -A much broader range of quest options, eventually the majority of ESO's quests begin to look very much like the other 200 quests you have finished.
    -No grabbing onto 'lips' whilst jumping, like seriously you can't grab the top of that wall.....
    -Character customisation, although ESO's isn't bad it is nowhere near as good as DDO's.
    -In ESO you can virtually unlock every skill for your class/race split including the general core abilities for combat crafting etc, but you can only load 5 skills onto your hotbar at one time with and additional set of skills when weapon swapping, it's quite restrictive and you get the feel that it is really aimed at the console gamers from this perspective and not those playing on PC.
    -BUGS, it felt like there were just as many bugs in ESO as there is in DDO.

Admittedly ESO does a decent job at its crafting system, has pretty good graphics and a pretty cool pvp part of the game but all and all for a game that is released 8 years after DDO it really needs to lift it's game.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Bet you thought this was gonna be another hate thread on how ddo has changed? Nope..

My problem.. I never played video games until 6-7 Months ago when this game fell in my lap.. cant even remember how i came across it tbh.
    I've been playing this like a career since i started and found my self getting a little bit burnt out so decided to take a week break.

So I just wanted to say thanks ddo for creating a epic game... you have your ups and downs but this is by far the best thing in my opinion.

And thanks for ruining MMORPG's for me... You have my loyalty ill never wander again.
    The answer is quite simple: - MARKETING.

In the beginning Turbine (moreover DDO) was going strong in part because it was a new game and because it was a different flavor apart from ye old MMORPG. As a Subscription based game only, it helped to gain in revenue which was used to expand the business and acquire more marketing values. Although the company did grow to include nearly 500 employees the big boom happened when the move to Free to play happened; drawing more players and getting several spots on popular news for advertising. During this time Atari pulled a dirty and didn't invest enough energy and finances as per an agreement between them and Turbine. Atari was supposed to actively promote the game, instead it was poorly done and resulted in a lawsuit against Atari. During this time the newness of free to play had worn and Atari moved to promote its new calling, "Neverwinter Nights Online." You can see where the conflict is here.

Granted from my stand point I could see several options for excellent marketing tactics, but none of them happened. Turbine was no doubt only able to what they could within budget; it didn't help matters that other MMORPG's were better established in the marketing industry. Warner Brothers bought Turbine for $160 Million and so far it has gone from there.

Given the age of the game and bad luck that has fallen them, I would say Turbine is doing fairly well all things considered. With any large acquisition a business like WB will seek to improve profits in order to make up the buying price. In this case, some shuffling of personnel happened. Some were shifted to new projects, while others where taken from other games such as LOTR and moved to DDO. Sadly some were laid off, but I hear that most are doing well in new jobs.

I'm sure that the CEO, Mr. Crowley, is doing the best that he can. At last note, working with $19 million compared to other companies like World of Warcraft ($250 Million), certainly limits your amount of +3 Tomes of Marketing.

It's because you're new. DDO isn't a role playing game anymore, it's a fast paced action oriented 3rd person shooter with role playing elements in the forum of powerups that can be purchased with a high score. DDO is an absolute joke when it comes to balance and refinement. It's really a Build Your Own Dungeon Destroyer arcade game. There is absolutely nothing that can't be achieved in DDO through simple grinding. On that note, DDO holds the title of The World's Largest Hamster Wheel, thanks to the grind they added with epic past lives. You could literally grind eight hours a day for years before you would max out all your powerups. Want to get there faster? No problem, just visit the in game store.

To compare the DDO faceroll to an actual RPG is like comparing Space Invaders to Call of Duty.

All that being said, DDO is fun for what it is, a fast paced, in your face, never stop running, let's blow some stuff up arcade game.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Actually, you just described DDO right there. DDO is the most casual MMO in existence, next to perhaps Farmville (if that even still exists). WoW actually has an extremely challenging end game raiding system where only players of the highest caliber will find themselves emerging victorious in the most difficult content.

Actually, in DDO there is a whole forum of builds that will allow you to go right in the most challenging content and faceroll to your heart's content. Builds that no self-respecting MMORPG would EVER allow. Yep, DDO is definitely the perfect choice for the less skilled player. Grind to win or pay to win, there's almost zero ways to lose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast