Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *facepalm*

Community Member

Default *facepalm*

Just logged in since the patch... Turbine, why do I keep putting my faith in you? You clearly aren't worth it. First, you break all forms of crafting and make ingredients need to be coaxed into bags. That's pretty impressive, even by your standards. 10k stars somehow loses its flag as a Monk feat. Both are major bugs that affect quite a lot of players. Monkchers/Shuricannon builds must be parked, and all lowbies with crafting skills are parked until this is fixed. Human arties have had their race choice made completely worthless.

So you made a patch to fix the problem. Good job! I wish it had come out earlier, but I guess all that matters is that it's fixed, right?

Wrong. Somehow, you borked everything even harder. Tried to solo eGH, never even made it to a single quest. I got killed at the first fight in the wilderness area. Every time I tried to run away, I got teleported back to the fight. I couldn't Stun a red name, and I was going to summon the hire once I got into the quest, so I rather quickly died because I kept trying to run. Is this happening to anyone else? It was the first (and only) fight I'd ever got in since the patch. If it's everyone, this will kill pretty much any quests in wilderness areas - which, for some reason, make up quite a bit of the quests - until it's fixed. Maybe it only appears on the red-name, and if I reset the instance, it will fix it. Release.

Okay, apparently I was bound to House Cannith. Annoying, but it is my fault. The legacy ship buffs are gone, time to get more. And I'm locked out of my airship. There was an error in teleporting, it says. Repeatedly. Relog, see if that'll fix it. Since the game never actually quits when I hit "Quit", it just blackscreens for 30min until Windows realizes that it's never going to fix itself and asks me if I want to end the program, I hit "Quit" and then end it with Task Manager. Been doing it for years, never messed anything up yet. But when I try to log back in to my character, it says "This character is still being saved." What does that even mean? Why do ALL my characters say that now when I try to log in? Why does it say I'm in Gianthold instead of the Market? Why is it saying now (around 20-30min after incident) that "Your character could not be saved"? Is my main's data corrupted? I can't log in to any of my other toons, are they all corrupted too? Did it just not save this session, or did it save part of it? How can you screw up code THIS BADLY, that every minor addition/change completely breaks the game?

Turbine, did you just read a Corrupt-a-Wish thread and make it literal?
    Quote Originally Posted by LFKnowledge View Post
    Someone writes a book about your favorite character in DDO. What is the title of the book?
    The Lord of the Rungs, starring Frodo Laggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    There's no lag, it's D&D trying to become turn based again.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Just logged in since the patch... Turbine, why do I keep putting my faith in you? You clearly aren't worth it. First, you break all forms of crafting and make ingredients need to be coaxed into bags. That's pretty impressive, even by your standards. 10k stars somehow loses its flag as a Monk feat. Both are major bugs that affect quite a lot of players. Monkchers/Shuricannon builds must be parked, and all lowbies with crafting skills are parked until this is fixed. Human arties have had their race choice made completely worthless.
    You know, most software roll-outs have issues. On this, they’ve been Johnny-on-the-spot with a fix. They identified it quickly, gave a time-frame, and then delivered a fix in that time-frame. That’s what you’re supposed to do in situations like this.

So you made a patch to fix the problem. Good job! I wish it had come out earlier, but I guess all that matters is that it's fixed, right?
    Slapping a keyboard, and throwing something together just to appease someone like you is only going to make things worse. A week’s timeframe for the fixes they provided was not an unreasonable amount of time.

Wrong. Somehow, you borked everything even harder. Tried to solo eGH, never even made it to a single quest. I got killed at the first fight in the wilderness area. Every time I tried to run away, I got teleported back to the fight.
    That is a long outstanding bug that I’ve encountered too, and I suspect that it has something to do with network activity. So, it may not even be their problem.

I couldn't Stun a red name…
    I don’t think you could ever stun a red-named mob.

Since the game never actually quits when I hit "Quit", it just blackscreens for 30min until Windows realizes that it's never going to fix itself and asks me if I want to end the program, I hit "Quit" and then end it with Task Manager. Been doing it for years, never messed anything up yet. But when I try to log back in to my character, it says "This character is still being saved." What does that even mean? Why do ALL my characters say that now when I try to log in? Why does it say I'm in Gianthold instead of the Market? Why is it saying now (around 20-30min after incident) that "Your character could not be saved"? Is my main's data corrupted? I can't log in to any of my other toons, are they all corrupted too? Did it just not save this session, or did it save part of it? How can you screw up code THIS BADLY, that every minor addition/change completely breaks the game?
    First, you can’t complain that the delay in killing the screen has something to do with the latest release if it has been doing it a long time. Yes, it takes a long time to end. I have the same issue too. In most circumstances, I just let it end when it ends…which it does…all on its own.

Most of this sounds like an issue with your PC, and not DDO.

Third, using the task Manager to kill a program like that? Don’t do that. Nowadays, if your app hangs, it’s usually an issue somewhere on your PC. And the fact that you’re not letting the app shut down gracefully all the time means that you’ve probably now contributed to the problems you are seeing.

And I’m a guy who *knows* how to hang an app hard such that it freezes your system.

So, have your PC checked out / cleaned up, and stop killing the app from the task manager.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Yes, it takes a long time to end. I have the same issue too. In most circumstances, I just let it end when it ends…which it does…all on its own.

Third, using the task Manager to kill a program like that? Don’t do that. Nowadays, if your app hangs, it’s usually an issue somewhere on your PC. And the fact that you’re not letting the app shut down gracefully all the time means that you’ve probably now contributed to the problems you are seeing.

And I’m a guy who *knows* how to hang an app hard such that it freezes your system.

So, have your PC checked out / cleaned up, and stop killing the app from the task manager.
    From what I have heard / read, there are quite a lot of people who have DDO hanging on for large periods of time after quitting. Just like large amounts of people have problems logging in and have to restart the game, I don't think this is necessarily the users' issue. If you either need to get back into the game or need to start some other game or equally intensive activity, letting the game "shut down gracefully" may not be an option. So Turbine should fix whatever is causing the game to hang on quit.

Stand and be Judged. I know some people who came to count on it, as though it weren't clearly broken and bound for a fix.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

The typical response you'll get from the "All is well" crowd is that it's not the game it's your PC.

This is despite the fact that large numbers of people see the same issues; multi logins and forced shutdowns.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DakFrost View Post
    The typical response you'll get from the "All is well" crowd is that it's not the game it's your PC.

This is despite the fact that large numbers of people see the same issues; multi logins and forced shutdowns.
    And many people expect the game to run effortlessly with max settings on 2 gigs of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    And many people expect the game to run effortlessly with max settings on 2 gigs of ram.
    2 gigs of RAM? I used to be able to run games on 1024K, so why do I need to upgrade my computer, Turbine should just fix their code.

But on a realistic note, people should never immediately discount the possibility that issues on their end when experiencing gameplay issues. People in these situations asking for more information about your system aren't being a fanboi or "All is Well" crowd reflexively. Take it from experience, sure the game code itself could be laggy and thats why after playing for a bit you could experience attrocious lag you don't experience when doing other tasks on your computer. Or you could be about to blow out your POS graphics card that got clogged up with dust because you were too lazy to clean it out (true story). And if you are having to constantly force-kill an application to get it to close, yeah, I'd like to know more about your setup before reflexing to the "Turbine did it" explanation. Maybe they did, or maybe there is something on your end, we just don't have enough information to really know.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

nm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    2 gigs of RAM? I used to be able to run games on 1024K, so why do I need to upgrade my computer, Turbine should just fix their code.

But on a realistic note, people should never immediately discount the possibility that issues on their end when experiencing gameplay issues. People in these situations asking for more information about your system aren't being a fanboi or "All is Well" crowd reflexively. Take it from experience, sure the game code itself could be laggy and thats why after playing for a bit you could experience attrocious lag you don't experience when doing other tasks on your computer. Or you could be about to blow out your POS graphics card that got clogged up with dust because you were too lazy to clean it out (true story). And if you are having to constantly force-kill an application to get it to close, yeah, I'd like to know more about your setup before reflexing to the "Turbine did it" explanation. Maybe they did, or maybe there is something on your end, we just don't have enough information to really know.
    You have no idea why the OP is having issues - why make baseless accusations?

Wrong. Somehow, you borked everything even harder. Tried to solo eGH, never even made it to a single quest. I got killed at the first fight in the wilderness area. Every time I tried to run away, I got teleported back to the fight. I couldn't Stun a red name, and I was going to summon the hire once I got into the quest, so I rather quickly died because I kept trying to run. Is this happening to anyone else? It was the first (and only) fight I'd ever got in since the patch. If it's everyone, this will kill pretty much any quests in wilderness areas - which, for some reason, make up quite a bit of the quests - until it's fixed. Maybe it only appears on the red-name, and if I reset the instance, it will fix it. Release.

Okay, apparently I was bound to House Cannith. Annoying, but it is my fault. The legacy ship buffs are gone, time to get more. And I'm locked out of my airship. There was an error in teleporting, it says. Repeatedly. Relog, see if that'll fix it. Since the game never actually quits when I hit "Quit", it just blackscreens for 30min until Windows realizes that it's never going to fix itself and asks me if I want to end the program, I hit "Quit" and then end it with Task Manager. Been doing it for years, never messed anything up yet. But when I try to log back in to my character, it says "This character is still being saved." What does that even mean? Why do ALL my characters say that now when I try to log in? Why does it say I'm in Gianthold instead of the Market? Why is it saying now (around 20-30min after incident) that "Your character could not be saved"? Is my main's data corrupted? I can't log in to any of my other toons, are they all corrupted too? Did it just not save this session, or did it save part of it? How can you screw up code THIS BADLY, that every minor addition/change completely breaks the game?

Turbine, did you just read a Corrupt-a-Wish thread and make it literal?
    crafting was fixed. they delivered it quite quickly. it wasn't game breaking so less than a week. i think that is a fair time.

stun a red name. never have you been able to do that. lol fail. if you meant that weak stand or whatever meh. that was a easy button clutch.

as for the network issues and the toon being saved. i can't say anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    You have no idea why the OP is having issues - why make baseless accusations?
    I know I'll regret engaging this, but exactly what baseless accusations did I make?

I responded to a joke a post above mine with a similar joke on RAM. The post I replied to was itself a response to someone else stating essentially, "someone will come along and blame the user." I then tied in an experience I had, where in a game I was experiencing crippling lag after a period of game play. I blamed it on whatever buzz word there was at the time (memory leaks from bad programming) and then proceeded to blow out my graphics card. After replacing it, I had none of the problems I previously had. (When I said your POS graphics card I was using admittedly vague language, but referencing myself). So, when I see a post that basically suggests you can place the full onus of blame on a game's coding and anyone suggesting otherwise is mindless, I like to suggest a note of caution based on experience. People ask about another person's setup because that is honestly something that you as a person can control. Turbine's coding, is pretty much out of your control, beyond voting with your wallet.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Founder

I know I'll regret engaging this, but exactly what baseless accusations did I make?

I responded to a joke a post above mine with a similar joke on RAM. The post I replied to was itself a response to someone else stating essentially, "someone will come along and blame the user." I then tied in an experience I had, where in a game I was experiencing crippling lag after a period of game play. I blamed it on whatever buzz word there was at the time (memory leaks from bad programming) and then proceeded to blow out my graphics card. After replacing it, I had none of the problems I previously had. (When I said your POS graphics card I was using admittedly vague language, but referencing myself). So, when I see a post that basically suggests you can place the full onus of blame on a game's coding and anyone suggesting otherwise is mindless, I like to suggest a note of caution based on experience. People ask about another person's setup because that is honestly something that you as a person can control. Turbine's coding, is pretty much out of your control, beyond voting with your wallet.
    Perhaps "accusation" is too strong a word, but you seem to be agreeing with the "people expect the game to run on 2g of RAM" comment. What it comes down to is that if Turbine makes any kind of update and people suddenly start having major issues with the game I will bet cash money that the problem is with the game.

I'm sorry to have to say this but your previous post did not read as though you were talking about yourself when you said
    Or you could be about to blow out your POS graphics card that got clogged up with dust because you were too lazy to clean it out (true story).
    Sarcasm is also hard to convey in print - Tone of Voice is the standard distinguishing feature.

You did state
    (true story).
    but I read this as you were talking about someone else NOT yourself!

As for the Task manager - I use it multiple times per day to get DDO to close down properly - I also get a fade over grey screen DDO Not Responding Lag Break regularly that basically requires a Task manager shut down!

I'm not Tech Savvy and the last time I had issues with my Graphics Card I was told by multiple people that buying a new laptop would be cheaper!
    I can't afford to keep buying new laptops!

Community Member

As far as hanging on quit, it is the games fault, not your PC. The Mac version never quits without crashing and frequently can only be killed with the process manager. The character saving issue was a problem on Sarlona today and probably explains the teleporting in GH, which is what most people would call rubber banding. Basically it looks like you were running away on your client, but the server had you standing still at the fight (being beaten to death). Again not your PC. Given the current ratty state of the game, blaming anything other than the game is being unfair to whatever you are blaming.

Community Member

You know, most software roll-outs have issues. On this, they’ve been Johnny-on-the-spot with a fix. They identified it quickly, gave a time-frame, and then delivered a fix in that time-frame. That’s what you’re supposed to do in situations like this.
    They do indeed... It's inevitable. But, you know.. that "time frame".. there are many bugs going on in DDO, many of them are here for good 3 - 4 years.
    They only identify it quickly, because majority of people are complaining.. they losing reputation this way. They must fix those errors.

From what I see, they don't care about those "few" people having an issue. They are too busy working on upcoming new contents and this is the big problem.
    They focusing too much on new stuff and ignoring old stuff. Everyone can support turbine, but this is the truth. I would say this to OP that, if you don't like it.. you should stay away from the game.
    I been fighting for over a year and 4 month for a single bug that makes my character weak.. unbalanced. I reported 22 times with solution on how to fix it... they ignored me, never replied to my thread and it's in deep abyss now. turbine fix only 10% of the game bugs.. 90% will remain here forever... It's up to you OP. You have my luck, stay safe.
    Last edited by Angelic-council; 06-18-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Tried to solo eGH, never even made it to a single quest. I got killed at the first fight in the wilderness area.
    It's not Turbine's fault that you're a gimp.

Community Member

You know, most software roll-outs have issues.
    You don't say. Most companies make some small effort to test their software first, though. There's no way something that major wasn't identified in the Lammania versions.

That is a long outstanding bug that I’ve encountered too, and I suspect that it has something to do with network activity. So, it may not even be their problem.
    The problem you're talking about occurs when you're trying to move something that hasn't rendered yet. The server disagrees with the client on positioning, so it shunts you back. There was nothing to get in the way. I spent 30s trying to run away from the mob that got on me. I stopped moving, ran around it, it somewhere else, but no matter what, it would swing its sword and I would be dragged back to its location, wherever it happened to be at that second.

You don't say. There's no way an epic level toon would have know that, right?

I couldn't stun it and run away, genius, like I could a normal mob. Stunning Fist/Blow won't work as an escape tactic, so I died to it.

First, you can’t complain that the delay in killing the screen has something to do with the latest release if it has been doing it a long time. Yes, it takes a long time to end. I have the same issue too. In most circumstances, I just let it end when it ends…which it does…all on its own.
    That's great for you, but I have better things to do with my free time than wait upwards of 20 minutes to wait for a program to end on its own. Regardless of whether it was this release or not, it was coded by Turbine and it is their fault that it exists. The fact that this has been going on for so long is even worse, but at least it has an easy workaround. Also, are you saying you wait for that length of time for Windows to decide that it's not gonna end on its own, every time you log off? I call BS. Besides, whether you end it it manually or Windows decides to ask if you want to end the process, the program is not being shut down as it should, so it doesn't matter if you do it now or wait.

Never given me anywhere near this level of grief before. Except the blackscreen, but it's never messed anything up before today. May not be the problem today either.

That's true. In some programs, closing via Task Manager is something that may cause data loss/corruption. Thing is, I can't close it normally because Turbine can't code. I've played this game for 4 years, and it's hung on a blackscreen at every close. If I could do it the proper way, I would. It's not my install, either. I've reinstalled this thing twice, using a fresh download each time. All 3 times I've had a clean version of the program, it has hung like this.

Don't talk to me about cleaning out my PC. I keep this thing spic-and-span. Defrag, registry clean, removing old files, malware scan, keeping HDD more than 50% free, swap file on empty partition, the works. Every month, I give it another tune-up. This 3 year old machine runs twice as well as most 2 year old ones, and almost as well as a mid-range, new stock PC. It may be a little outdated, but it does well enough on everything but new PC games.
    Quote Originally Posted by LFKnowledge View Post
    Someone writes a book about your favorite character in DDO. What is the title of the book?
    The Lord of the Rungs, starring Frodo Laggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    There's no lag, it's D&D trying to become turn based again.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Perhaps "accusation" is too strong a word, but you seem to be agreeing with the "people expect the game to run on 2g of RAM" comment. What it comes down to is that if Turbine makes any kind of update and people suddenly start having major issues with the game I will bet cash money that the problem is with the game.
    Heh it's an 8 years old game, not so many PCs had 2 Go RAM and SSDs by then
    Aezechiel (Caster, 14th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (High saves evartie, 4th life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (sorcerer 4th life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (Vistani knife fighter, 2nd life) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DakFrost View Post

It has to be a combo of the game and your PC and your network connection. If it was JUST the game, it would happen to everyone.

Note I'm not saying it's just your PC... but it's not just the game either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

I'm not saying Turbine shouldn't be working on making their 8-year old game work on mid-line PCs and laptops... They SHOULD indeed be spending time on that...

But I would like to say that since getting a SSD, and re-installing Windows 7 and DDO from scratch, I load into the game in 5 seconds, never crash, and never have any problems closing the game either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast