Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The magic of DDO

DDO is the best game I have ever played, period. I know that's a lot to live up to but I think DDO pulls it off. I've been a gamer ever since my dad first brought home a playstation 1 and I got hooked to a simple jumping game. Ever since then I've expanded and constantly looked for the next big thing to grab my attention. When MMOs came to me I latched onto them and didn't let go. First it was runescape, the first game to make me realize that I enjoy doing repetitive tasks as long as there's a carrot on a stick. Then friends begged me to try DDO, and I did. It was something totally different and it took me a long time to figure out the game(5 years in almost and I'm still learning). Between now and then I spent a hefty time in World of Warcraft where I found a guild that introduced me to the idea of a small circle of friends just simply playing together. In five years I started to finally learn what I love the most about MMOs- Playing with fun people.

And now I'm back to DDO again. DDO is the one game where I can never just simply quit- The itch keeps coming back. It's something magical, I think. DDO just has all the right elements to make me adore it. TRing is probably the best thing I've ever run into in any game. The ability to keep one character that keeps getting stronger as you get to experience content at the appropriate level constantly... makes me a very happy person. I love leveling, and turbine seems to have found the magic to make it keep being entertaining.

That being said... I can see that DDO is dying. Less and less people are playing, and even more are less willing to spend money on it. So I wanted to say at least one time before it happens that DDO is the best game I have ever played- even with all of the bugs and glitches and things that get broken with every update. There is literally no other game quite like it that I've found, and it will always hold a place in my heart.
    Main/Only character:
    Pyrerose, the Overlord of Love
    Double heroic completionist, still in love with heroic content
    Current life:
    16 FVS/3 Monk/1 Fighter, The Priestess of Vol

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscheerio View Post
    DDO is the best game I have ever played, period. I know that's a lot to live up to but I think DDO pulls it off. I've been a gamer ever since my dad first brought home a playstation 1 and I got hooked to a simple jumping game. Ever since then I've expanded and constantly looked for the next big thing to grab my attention. When MMOs came to me I latched onto them and didn't let go. First it was runescape, the first game to make me realize that I enjoy doing repetitive tasks as long as there's a carrot on a stick. Then friends begged me to try DDO, and I did. It was something totally different and it took me a long time to figure out the game(5 years in almost and I'm still learning). Between now and then I spent a hefty time in World of Warcraft where I found a guild that introduced me to the idea of a small circle of friends just simply playing together. In five years I started to finally learn what I love the most about MMOs- Playing with fun people.

And now I'm back to DDO again. DDO is the one game where I can never just simply quit- The itch keeps coming back. It's something magical, I think. DDO just has all the right elements to make me adore it. TRing is probably the best thing I've ever run into in any game. The ability to keep one character that keeps getting stronger as you get to experience content at the appropriate level constantly... makes me a very happy person. I love leveling, and turbine seems to have found the magic to make it keep being entertaining.

That being said... I can see that DDO is dying. Less and less people are playing, and even more are less willing to spend money on it. So I wanted to say at least one time before it happens that DDO is the best game I have ever played- even with all of the bugs and glitches and things that get broken with every update. There is literally no other game quite like it that I've found, and it will always hold a place in my heart.
    That's how I felt about SWG until they killed it with NGE and now DDO has had my love for that past 8 years but I do see the writing on the wall that some day it to will be gone.

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member

I pug more than most and just yesterday I met a lvl 23 ranger who has been playing just 3 weeks. Anecdotes ftw.

DDO and Shadowbane (love that pvp game) are my favs all time
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Can't argue with this, I have been playing this game pretty much non stop daily for 6 years and no other game even comes close for continued playability.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    I pug more than most and just yesterday I met a lvl 23 ranger who has been playing just 3 weeks.
    Is this really surprising ?

Have to say, though (anecdote ftw) I met a guy, when cap was 20 (and no xp stone), that could CC/instakill Echrono and EDA on his wizzard after 3 months of playing.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 14th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (High saves evartie, 4th life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (sorcerer 4th life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (Vistani knife fighter, 2nd life) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscheerio View Post
    That being said... I can see that DDO is dying. Less and less people are playing, and even more are less willing to spend money on it.
    Money isn't the issue with the players in my circle of friends. But time investment is huge.

Why spend precious time on a game that has basically been put in maintenance mode. Turbine's staff and devs have been cut down to a skeleton crew. (I feel for them... they are doing the best with what resources they have)
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    Is this really surprising ?

Have to say, though (anecdote ftw) I met a guy, when cap was 20 (and no xp stone), that could CC/instakill Echrono and EDA on his wizzard after 3 months of playing.
    Took him 3 entire months? Thats pretty casual. My gimped Sorc could do that, yes i had the necro feats and had to use all the available clickies, including the rare collectible turnins. Wizard PM is an easy button, players just afraid to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Money isn't the issue with the players in my circle of friends. But time investment is huge.

Why spend precious time on a game that has basically been put in maintenance mode. Turbine's staff and devs have been cut down to a skeleton crew. (I feel for them... they are doing the best with what resources they have)
    Pretty much this. For a new player with all the shiny alternatives, DDO might look like abandonware. They even nerfed their online presence a while back.
    Last edited by janave; 06-17-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Totally inaccurate statement of the current status of DDO. We have not even made it to level cap. Multiple packs are in the works...you cannot seriously say this is maintenance mode.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Dungeons and Dragons = best game ever. I truly hope they manage to grow rather than dwindle any more.

Best of luck to the devs!

for a newcomer ddo may look like abandonware indeed. or partially abandonware. true "magik" of ddo is hidden below several layers of not so easy to uncover from start bs.
    i play several mmo, but mostly ddo. what i can say, for example about rift - newcomers are literally thrown into crowds of other players after few first hours. they just have to do basic development of character(level to 10). pvp... two clicks of button and you find yourself in warfronts in 10 or 30 seconds in grp of 20 players.
    want group? again, it takes about 10 to 30 seconds on tank or healer role to start quest. dps may have to wait 10 seconds to minute. you do not have to do ANYTHING, no silly running to quest over nine lands and ten load screens, no search for quest giver or beggings to share. 2 clicks and you just wait, 30 seconds and you are teleported where quest takes place. want just run wilderness area and do some repeatable slaying quests with people? again 2 clicks and wait 10-30 seconds and find yourself teleported to random or chosen area by you.
    feeling? it is feeling of very living game.
    you can get experience of multiplayer in ddo of course, but efforts to do so are really different and bigger. second thing is totally, absolutely screwed combat roleplaying. no roles. at all. all you need is dps. almost all players just run around and dps`ing. no need to anyting else. simplicity of team playing can make only sad(me). wait... what im saying, there is NO teamplaying in ddo gameplay almost at all, except lever pulling is some quests and here and there thrown heal or buff.
    so, newcomers from other mmo expect to get into quests much more easy, get into groups with less efforts, expect actual team play(it is mmo, remember?). what turbine do? they make obstacles for players to get into quest. obstacles, they wont teleport you to quest. yeah... . they will charge money from you for this... lets say privilege to get faster into quest. want go from eberon to eveningstar easy? pay! or spend your time watching loadscreens. it is very wrong, in my opinion they should do whatever needs to make actual gameplay accessible to players as easy as possible and NOT make artificial obstacles.

now about positive.
    it is dungeon and dragon unique system. it is reincarnation of characters what keeps people on tr trains(and even tr is basically screwed up to level of point of no return. its hard to imagine with what part of body was thinking people who made epic levels divided from heroic and they made two games instead of one, as result we have not very populated game playerbase divided with artificial border in the middle of levels). very well made dungeons. i would even say i never else in mmo have seen so good made dungeons. and SO many. some packs are simply game making masterpieces. tempest spine, shroud, waterworks(great chain!), mindsunder, into the flesh... many. ive never else seen such good quests what ppl can play in ddo, but as i said, these shinies are hidden behind many levers of obstacles.

so. im not a fanboy. i like game, but there are good games around, so not have to be narrow in this. i tried get ppl into this game... it is not easy. but some come.
    Last edited by Lallajulia; 06-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Can't argue with this, I have been playing this game pretty much non stop daily for 6 years and no other game even comes close for continued playability.
    Same here, but however long this beast has been alive I have played. I wish it would live better and longer.

Community Member

It's not that DDO is great, it's that every other MMO is terrible

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Took him 3 entire months? Thats pretty casual. My gimped Sorc could do that, yes i had the necro feats and had to use all the available clickies, including the rare collectible turnins. Wizard PM is an easy button, players just afraid to admit it.
    You mean you were able to handle hardest (at that time) content less than 3 months after begining ddo ? you're either awsum or a liar.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 14th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (High saves evartie, 4th life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (sorcerer 4th life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (Vistani knife fighter, 2nd life) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lallajulia View Post
    i play several mmo, but mostly ddo. what i can say, for example about rift - newcomers are literally thrown into crowds of other players after few first hours.
    And that is supposed to be a good thing ? Would prolly make me quit the game once and for all !

they just have to do basic development of character(level to 10). pvp... two clicks of button and you find yourself in warfronts in 10 or 30 seconds in grp of 20 players.
    This. DDO is not about basic things and two clicks. This is why it's always been a niche game.

Community Member

Yah i like DDO and i like D&D ... both for some same reasons.
    DDO is not for anyone.
    You can make milions of char builds here thats what i really like. But many newcomers would be stunned by that. Of cource the can take advice just go pure 20 cleric or fighter or whatever .. but they would be ****ed when they compare theyself against that completionist 3 class optimized splitt superman the would run one quest in midlvls.
    Most of the milions of builds would be just **** and you need to know what you are doing when multiclassing for example and do your homework. Again i like this because im metagamer and like to think about next life build for several days sometimes. But that newcommer who reroll after seeing how cool that multiclass dude was would be maybe surprised that hes even more gimpy now.
    You can do everything in your toon and sometimes all at once. On properly build toon you can cast potent magic, do considerable meelee or range damage and disable traps in between or heal comrades and even take tank role if situation needs it. But again newcommer who seen some monk/rog/FvS.. completionist to do that would fail alot is he tries to do it on his/her 1st life 1st toon
    Thats all lead to no classic tank-heal-dps triangle dogma .. but thats all fine for me ... because you know we have many more of those triangles for example trap-CC-puzzle .. or maybe heal-tank-swimmer somwhere else One of these complex party setups is reaver raid for example .. you need classic tank and healer and you need some DPS of course. You need somone who will fly thru spikes and CC of some sort is nice here too of course and finally my favored thing is you need some "brain" who will solve puzzle in limited time in middle of battle And now name 1 other MMo that have this all ??

Proud officer of Zuleicos (Thelanis) - Mikaelus (Melee) ; Akhnaroth (Caster) ; Kraneo (Healbot) ; Leonardu (Melee) ; Tormentazul (Melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum
    Come play Dungeons and Dragons! In heroic play you will face the evil minions of Demons... When and if you make it to Epic levels you face even greater threats. Threats like... giant rats and wolves!

I don't believe DDO is in Maintenance Mode yet, but I feel it is less than 2 years away. My hope is that we actually get a maintenance mode. I hope they just don't decide completely shut it down.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    And that is supposed to be a good thing ? Would prolly make me quit the game once and for all !

This. DDO is not about basic things and two clicks. This is why it's always been a niche game.

of course it is good thing. why would you quit multiplayer game? because it gives you chance play em... multiplayer? strange logic.

if you think ddo gameplay is difficult, then difficult compared to what and what layer of gameplay? about management personal character abilities it is similar. but if talk about team play then as i said, in ddo there is almost none teamplay left. i can not even say it is hard or easy, run around kiting or dpsing is not teamplay, if you compare to raids where your two mistakes can ruin raid. delayed main tank heal as main healer, or if you second tank and did not in time noticed main tank lost first or second boss aggro can become lethal situation in few seconds to many, if not most, dps`ers, cc`ers. if you are cc and missed timing or not landed stun on main or second boss when it is needed... expect half raid(10 of 20 players) will drop hp to 10-20% and good if second aoe healer will fix your mess in time(if he have some burst high aoe heal not on cooldown at that moment) or spare tank will catch loose elite boss aggro to give bards time stabilize party regen/hp. ddo do not have tension what lies on some roles in intensive teamplay mmo. dps role may seem easier, but in fact, if dps`ers fail dps enough, no heals will save tanks from die.

ddo is indeed niche game and a very good one. and its main good thing lies in character development flexibility. gameplay itself is not easy but is not hard either.
    Last edited by Lallajulia; 06-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

of course it is good thing. why would you quit multiplayer game? because it gives you chance play em... multiplayer? strange logic.
    I require some immersion before go meet the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast