Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ogre Mages

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger1234 View Post
    Indeed, the d20srd.org descriptions clearly say they're related, but then again skin color is described differently, as are such things as bonus languages... and even average height and mass, with the ogre magi being larger too.

I always thought that the "regular" ogres in DDO are funny-looking.

Oh and didn't some of the old SSI "AD&D" Forgotten Realms turn-based computer games have mixed groups of ogres and ogre magi, with them looking sort of similar there?
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Ogres=Scarrans

The mages eat flowers

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    All true, except that ogre magi predate "Oriental Adventures". Here is the picture of ogre mage from 1st edition Monster Manual (1979):

My initial thought was that it was probibly from Oriental Adventures, but a little research (such as you've done) reveals that it was originally introduced in 1975, as part of Greyhawk. Interestingly enough, it seems they have an entirely different culture than the traditional Ogre, and it would seem "out of place" for them to actually co-exist with the traditional Ogre.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Check out the fantastic art of the beholder ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MuleAxe View Post
    Check out the fantastic art of the beholder ;-)
    My favourite was always the artwork for the invisible stalker
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I always thought it was strange that lobster was called fish, even though it looks more like a scorpion than a fish.
    Nobody sensible calls a lobster a fish since they aren't fish.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by tralfaz81 View Post
    Pretty sure that way, way, way back in the day, the ogre mages were introduced with Add's Oriental Adventures. They look different because they come form a different region...and technically a different world since that was Greyhawk. Basically for the same reason some things look different in Evening Star. The real question is, why are they hanging out with their dirtier, less intelligent cousins?
    No Ogre Magi are much older in dnd than Oriental adventures.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Nobody sensible calls a lobster a fish since they aren't fish.
    Yeah who calls a lobster a fish? I've never heard that. Unless you're talking about the commercial/culinary term "shellfish", but even then, I don't think anyone counts those as being "actual" fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    No Ogre Magi are much older in dnd than Oriental adventures.
    My guess is that, caught up in the late 70s Kung Fu craze, a couple dorks who'd invented a game called D&D were really into "Oriental" culture (proto-otaku?) but realized that no one would know what an Oni Mage was, so they went with the closest applicable Western word they could find to Oni

Quote Originally Posted by tralfaz81 View Post
    Pretty sure that way, way, way back in the day, the ogre mages were introduced with Add's Oriental Adventures. They look different because they come form a different region...and technically a different world since that was Greyhawk. Basically for the same reason some things look different in Evening Star. The real question is, why are they hanging out with their dirtier, less intelligent cousins?
    that is easy. while mages might be powerful in magic a lot of monsters always had lackies or aka brute force. that is where the ogres would come in.

The connection between Ogres and Ogre Magi as different castes of the same "culture" is younger than the respective monsters themselves. Mind you, in the first edition monsters were mostly just monsters and not part of the ecology of a plane. The more holistic and cohesion-based approach of world-building was in its infancy back then and came to full force later.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual
    Japanese ogres, ogre magi, are not as rare elsewhere as they are in this
    part of the world. They normally seek uninhabited places in which to lair
    - typically in a fortified dwelling or some secure cavern complex below
    ground. From this location, the ogre magi will foray to capture treasure
    and humans for slaves and food.
    If encountered in their lair, the ogre magi will always have a chief of great
    strength (f2 on each hit die, attacking and saving as a 9 hit dice monster)
    in addition to the others of his kind indicated by the die roll. There will be
    2-12 slaves/prisoners in the lair.
    Last edited by Tinco; 06-17-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    The best days are the days you don't have to wear socks or shoes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12