Community Member

Default Newbie solo compeltionist?

So I figure the swashbuckler isn't going to be as badass as I want him to be without a little help. A little help being a character who has seen it all, with past lives and high point starts and money and equipment - I realize it could be, I'm just saying the Swash will be way down the line.
    I've come to the conclusion that there's no harm in playing normals, as much as I'd like to just be like "Pfft, go Hard or go home," dying is stupid and it frustrates me and I had a bit of my pride slapped out of my mouth.
    THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LOVE A CHALLENGE! Completionist is a long stupid road, but I've always wanted to beat an MMO, so it's a road I'm gonna go down. I'd REALLY LIKE to be able to solo-class each life for the capstones. I'm not sure how it all works, and correct me if I'm wrong (or there are only certain capstones that are worth a damn) but I just feel like by the "end" I should have some epic badass hero that's done it all and don't take no gruff from nobody. Or something.
    If that's something I can/should do, is there really an order that I'd benefit in doing it in? Like Mega Man, you can beat the bosses in any order, but doing it right makes it easier. Having capstones/past lives to make the next life playthrough better.
    If that's something I shouldn't do, can you suggest proper splits for each class? I don't need full builds, I practically live on the forums now (even if they feel like an ancient library of outdated but still sometimes relevant knowledge), and I can find most of the information I need to formulate a working build, I just need to know where to start looking.
    As mentioned before, VIP, 28 point builds, have Drow and Warforged, have PDK, Artificer and Druid (not FVS yet I don't think). If you have build suggestions, by all means - I get way more enjoyment from plugging in someone else's insight and playing than I do planning and freaking out in anxiety if I screwed it all up and have to redo it.
    I play Solo, and I currently don't have any TP sitting around. I might can buy some if it's necessary, but I'll earn some in my questing (starting on a new server, idk which one yet). I'm not opposed to derpy hirelings to get stuff down. I saw a guide on the forums that has the most XP/hour for grinding completionists, but I think for the first few lives I'll just do it organically and see what I can do.
    I'd really like to try and hardcore mode this playthrough as well, as I've got some interest on the livestream and on youtube for a "storyline" of sorts (no real RP, just farting around with the drama of being an ignorant SOB trying to manmode a game he isn't familiar with), so I would think it's imperative I prepare myself as best as I can before jumping in. Dying to a spike trap is stupid.
    I think for the first life I won't even start Vet 4, I'll play him from Korthos on, and we'll just see what happens. As always, anything you guys wanna offer is a light in the darkness and a preemptive thank you so much for anything you throw my way to help in this endeavor!
    tl;dr - Wanna do completionist, dunno if I should do each class pure, if not, dunno what splashes I should take for each class. Plz halp.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonjammer View Post
    Wanna do completionist, dunno if I should do each class pure, if not, dunno what splashes I should take for each class. Plz halp.
    You can easily do Heroic content on a pure class (level 1 through 20) but multi-classing some may help with specific classes for speed.
    Heroic Past Life Feats Passive/Active will give you a start in what you can expect after each TR. I would say start with what you like more, melee or casting and then branch from there. You can play most casters now as melee so grabbing the melee PL's may make you happier.

Melee
    Paladin (Lack DPS so splitting with Fighter, Monk, Ranger, or Rogue to increase DPS is an option if you are after speed) Grants Healing Amp, up to 30%, which will be good on every life after this one.
    Monk (Pure awesomeness) +1 combat damage, up to +3 damage, which will be good while not playing a caster who uses spells for DPS
    Ranger (New player friendly) +2 range damage, up to + 6, which is useful if your final life will be melee.
    Fighter (Thought about placing this above Ranger) +1 Tactics, up to +3, which is useful if you run EE content regularly and use tactics as part of your strategy.
    Druid
    Rogue
    Barbarian
    Bard

Caster
    Wizard (Owns Heroic) +1 DC, up to +3, plus other goodies. Almost like a must have, if you plan on playing a caster as a caster.
    Sorcerer (WF + Sorcerer) +1 Evoc, up to +3, plus other goodies. Only gets placed under Sorcerer because most grab the Wizard PL anyways so may as well do it first.
    Cleric
    Favored Soul
    *** Honestly not sure if you should play Cleric then Favored Soul or Favored Soul the Cleric. My guess is Cleric before Favored Soul because Favored Soul are just so awesome that you may feel shorted starting with the better of the two classes and then downgrading ***
    Druid - Druid casters are very powerful. And you have an army to follow you. The PL just isn't that wonderful. Actually the Bard PL is better but...
    Bard - Yeah, Bards can be played as casters if you like.

Other
    Artificer - They are truly a hybrid of melee and caster and that is why they are here. Go WF for self healing.

I prefer melee so if I was making a dedicated Completionist toon, I would probably go...
    Paladin (8 Paladin, 6 Fighter, 6 Monk)
    Monk (Pure)
    Ranger (15 Ranger, 1 Fighter, 4 Cleric or Paladin)
    Cleric (Melee, 17 Cleric, 2 Monk, 1 Fighter Half-Orc)
    FvS (Melee, Can't remember split but basically 11/6/3 FvS, Monk, Fighter. I think that was the split I liked)
    (Mostly) Everything else
    Wizard (Pure Caster)
    Sorcerer (Pure caster)

Other
    • Rogue - 13 Rogue/6 Monk /1 Fighter DM Halfling (for self-healing), q-staff
    • Druid - 17 Druid/3 Monk Melee
    • Artificer - WF Repeater *yawn*
    • Fighter - 8 Fighter, 6 Monk, 6 Rogue DM Halfling (For self-healing), q-staff
    • Bard - 16 Bard/2 Fighter/2 Barbarian

Don't let it become a grind. You will burn yourself out.

Do not go through each life just trying to get to 20 as fast as possible, or you will develop a slow deep hatred for this game, like many others on these boards.

But it won't be the game's fault. It will be your fault.

Good luck to you, but take it slow, and enjoy the journey, not constantly looking to the destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

My main advice is to very seriously consider splashing the pally and barb lives.

Barb because self-healing is hard (alternatively, stock up on a lot of Silver Flame Pots in the life before, which are buyable if you have Silver Flame Favour). I personally would still just splash.

Paladin because eww. Alternatively, leave it till near-last and hope that the enhancement pass they're receiving comes before you reach them.

As to what splash, your call. I personally did one barb life with a 6 rogue / 6 arti splash, and the other with a 6 arti / 4 fighter splash. Both were crossbow builds and utilized 0 barbarian abilities apart from sprint boost. I'm not suggesting that specifically unless you fall in love with crossbows during your arti life, which you might!

My first ever character in this game was a full 20 dwarven axe barbarian which I hated with the fire of a thousand suns. I am led to believe that pure barbs being an unpleasant experience is not uncommon.

For paladin, splash in some monk. Either 2,3 or 6. Probably 6 for 25% incorporeal from Shadow Fade. Then toss in some fighter for feats. Maybe 6 Monk / 2 Fighter /12 Paladin.

Your plan sounds good. Elite streaking one-and-done will get you the most favour from each life and, to my mind, is also the most fun. Having said that, if you're feeling sociable, I'd be willing to group up and repeat a quest to preserve your sanity.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

If you get to a high level, with good saves and evasion, consider running all the low level quests on elite.
    Grinding favor unlocks the favored soul class for 2500 favor.
    If you don't have all the packs yet, save those turbine points you collect to gain access to higher and more rewarding content (unless you're vip), just don't waste it all on rez cakes and other first timer ddo store traps.
    Goodluck on your journey!

Don't do sorc first, it will spoil you for all other caster builds.
    Don't do monk first, it will spoil you for all other melee builds.

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

On my completionist journey (just about to finish life 7 at the moment) I have found a few things are important, particularly if you want to 'solo'. Bear in mind that my advice assumes you will be running an elite streak. I assume this because, as you get to 3+ lives, the required xp/level is increased an it makes it a lot easier to level faster without much quest repetition (sure, some quests are great xp/min and you will naturally want to repeat them a few times - Shadow Crypt for example).

1) You need to be able to "self-heal" effectively. I find that hires are ineffectual and annoying. Relying on them to heal you is like relying on the government to have your best interests at heart. It's a nice dream but it's not always going to happen. Scroll healing also has its drawbacks - mainly that it takes longer to swap a scroll in, cant be quickened and in that time....PING! Many will argue that it's enough for Heroic and that can be true, i've done it but I don't like or prefer it - each to their own. This means that sometimes you need weird builds - my fighter life was a 9/9/2 (Fighter/Druid/Monk) and I loved it. No trapping but plenty of survivability and healing; my Paly life was Warforged 9/9/2 (Paladin/Artificer/Monk) a great build that i really enjoyed.

2) Being able to trap is very handy. There are some quests where avoiding the trap(s) is very difficult and they're lethal (on elite), especially if you don't have evasion (and the good saves to go with it). A combination of skill and good twitch gameplay (and a well built character) can get you through these situations but the ability to trap also adds an xp bonus, which is nice. I've made a Sorc with 2 levels of Rogue that could get every trap in the (Heroic) game without giving up too much power. It's not hard to do but does require some (easily obtained) gear.

3) Plan your builds beforehand - use other peoples build, sure, but plan them to the level. What feats to take and when, where to put skill points, which spells to take at what level etc. This is important and will avoid tears down the track.

4) Multi-classing for solo play is, imho, almost always a bonus. This is a very general statement but i cant think of one class that i would play all the way to level 20 as pure on a completionist run. 2 levels of Rogue or Monk for evasion is a must for all my builds. I like evasion - many will disagree but I like the survivability (but you need decent Reflex saves of course).

5) Get (craft etc) some decent gear that you can use in multiple lives. For me this was things like GS items/named weapons/armor (dragon scale etc) and any other named items you think might be useful - collect DR beaters and useful casters sticks as you go. This might mean that your first life is a build that can, when you hit 20 and onwards, easily farm certain quests, quickly. Casters are often good to do this thanks to AoE damage spells - they can churn through quests quickly. To do this you need to be prepared to farm quests, this can be a drag for some. I like the feeling of getting what i was after so it didn't bother me too much.

6) Make sure each character has some kind of "burst" dps. If you're going to solo you have to be able to take down the bosses - some self-heal so if you can't do enough damage quickly, you'll either be at it forever or they'll overwhelm you. For melee's Manyshot is great and I try and build it on to a melee build whenever i can. This is tricky due to pre-req's but it's a great feat, in the right circumstances. If you've got one of these - http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Bow_of_Sinew - you'll want to fit Manyshot in by level 14 every (heroic) melee life

These are just my observations and preferences. Everyone has a different play style.

It's a long road but it's a lot of fun and you get to know the game pretty well after a while. Not sure what server you're on but, if you're on Thelanis, feel free to drop me a tell and say hello.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Son_of_the_South; 06-17-2014 at 01:39 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drykks - Baanzai - Elyndaar

Community Member

Don't forget to use Ron's Character Planner to help keep on track.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

So I figure the swashbuckler isn't going to be as badass as I want him to be without a little help. A little help being a character who has seen it all, with past lives and high point starts and money and equipment - I realize it could be, I'm just saying the Swash will be way down the line.
    Dont get so distracted that you forget to play your swash.
    I have not played one yet.
    I have played with a hagglebard who decided to swash and was extremely effective.
    I don't think it will take a lot of extras to make a fun swashbuckler character.

I'd REALLY LIKE to be able to solo-class each life for the capstones. I'm not sure how it all works, and correct me if I'm wrong (or there are only certain capstones that are worth a damn) but I just feel like by the "end" I should have some epic badass hero that's done it all and don't take no gruff from nobody. Or something.
    What are left of the old capstones are "meh" now.
    This would be a personal goal, not really a practical one.
    Also, it does not take a bunch of past lives to make an effective character.
    As far as TRs go, the capstones are completely meaningless. All you take with you is your past life feat and eventually the option of completionist feat.

If that's something I can/should do, is there really an order that I'd benefit in doing it in?
    On my one character I regularly TR, I don't really have a plan. I just do whatever is interesting to me at the time. But I did do bard my second life because I didn't want to have to get 4.3M XP (at the time) playing a bard. There are some benefits, like taking paladin early for healing amp or artificer for UMD, but I really wouldn't worry about this much myself.

If that's something I shouldn't do, can you suggest proper splits for each class? I don't need full builds, I practically live on the forums now (even if they feel like an ancient library of outdated but still sometimes relevant knowledge), and I can find most of the information I need to formulate a working build, I just need to know where to start looking.
    You can get to 20 with just about anything. In you want to play in epics for a while, you probably should stay with more conventional builds, but nothing below EE should require anything terribly specialized. Have fun. If you are looking at a class that doesn't look all that exciting to you, look for a way to enhance a different class that is more appealing. For example, I did a paladin life by first taking 9 levels of dark monk then 11 levels of paladin, basically playing as a monk with some extra self-healing because I have yet to find a (mostly pure) paladin build that is appealing to me.

I play Solo, and I currently don't have any TP sitting around. I might can buy some if it's necessary, but I'll earn some in my questing (starting on a new server, idk which one yet). I'm not opposed to derpy hirelings to get stuff down. I saw a guide on the forums that has the most XP/hour for grinding completionists, but I think for the first few lives I'll just do it organically and see what I can do.
    I'd really like to try and hardcore mode this playthrough as well, as I've got some interest on the livestream and on youtube for a "storyline" of sorts (no real RP, just farting around with the drama of being an ignorant SOB trying to manmode a game he isn't familiar with), so I would think it's imperative I prepare myself as best as I can before jumping in. Dying to a spike trap is stupid.
    I think for the first life I won't even start Vet 4, I'll play him from Korthos on, and we'll just see what happens. As always, anything you guys wanna offer is a light in the darkness and a preemptive thank you so much for anything you throw my way to help in this endeavor!
    tl;dr - Wanna do completionist, dunno if I should do each class pure, if not, dunno what splashes I should take for each class. Plz halp.
    Somewhere around life 4 I suspect you will want to try to find people to run with. Until then, remember to have fun, and don't burn yourself out. If you are really serious about this, invest in a tome of learning for your character. It will allow you to skip most content you probably don't like much and still have some heroic quests left over when you hit 20, without having to repeat much unless you just want to.

Random thoughts from my own experience:
    Self-healing is very good, but Silver Flame pots are overrated. You would not want to use them in situations where you are taking damage from AoE spells and are occasionally failing a reflex save, for example. I find they are most helpful in a group when things are going slightly pear-shaped and the hireling or healer can't quite keep up, or you find yourself doing just fine, thank you, clearing a corridor when someone in the next corridor does something stupid and generated orange/red levels of dungeon alert.

Find/buy/craft things that are useful multiple lives. Greensteel, +6 crafted stat items, the upgraded Sora Kell set, ring of the stalker, old raid loot, etc.

Being able to trap is good. Being able to do something else and also trap is better.
    Craft (or have someone craft) some good rogue gear for different levels. I have spot/search/disable all on goggles that get swapped out since I'm never doing more than one of those things at a time. Save up about 10 extra sets of +5 tools for lowbie to mid-level work until +5 sets start dropping again. Also, most locks in heroic can be unlocked with an investment of 10 ranks and good gear. Not every one of them, but most of them.

Plan before play. You do not have to allocate every single skill point or enhancement beforehand, but make sure the big items fit in where they are supposed to, especially your feat progression. If you plan to hit 20 and immediately TR, the first 18 levels are the most important, and the only ones you will really spend much time in.

While staying pure in a class may be a principled achievement, its a lot easier if you multiclass here and there, especially if you will be doing a lot of play solo or with one hire in tow. 2 or 5 rogue, 2 monk, 2 or 8 fighter, 6 ranger, and 2 or 3 paladin can really add flexibility and/or survivability to another class.

Strength and Con are not dump stats.

Remember to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Don't do sorc first, it will spoil you for all other caster builds.
    Don't do monk first, it will spoil you for all other melee builds.
    or do do monk first for the +1 damage for all other melee builds and the Active Monk past life for increasing you die step in future build with monk slashes.

do do