Community Member

Default Reincarnate/Restart BEFORE level 20

Okay, so I was thinking it might be a good idea to have some form of reincarnation available to characters before they reach level 20. This sort of reincarnation would ONLY restart the character's level to 1 and let them rebuild the character. I mention this because sometimes it's easy, especially for new players (and even for old ones), to botch a character build so badly that it's nearly impossible to level it back up to 20 in order to TR. I could see why this might have been a problem in the past when quest exp could actually be farmed to 0. There would have needed to be too many checks to verify that the character had enough experience to level back up, but with the new exp ransack mechanic, this should no longer be a problem. It's also not always plausible to just delete the character and start from scratch. Sometimes a lot of turbine points have been invested in tomes and bags and other upgrades specific to the character. This leaves the player with little option other than to slowly slog through the levels until hopefully, some year, they eventually get the character high enough to TR and try not to make the same mistakes the next time around.

I doubt I'm the only one that could use something like this. I've got a whole collection of characters that I'd like to restart at level 1 (as different class/race combinations) without having to struggle through the process of leveling them up, solely for the purposing of starting them over as something not so gimped.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

I'm not seeing the need.

Could you maybe provide an example of something so gimped that a simple LR couldn't fix it to be at least reasonable even if not optimal?

If you want a different race/class combo, it makes sense that you must re-roll or HTR at 20. If you simply want to fix build mistakes on your existing race/class combo before reaching 20, you have LR which also makes sense.

The main draw for HTR is the granted Past Life. Can't have that if you didn't live the whole life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Default Gimped builds

I think most of the gimped builds COULD be salvageable with LR prior to using a TR. I still think it would be useful to be able to restart at level 1 (gaining no form of benefit like the past life feats) and able to change selection of class/race combination. If the favor and quest completion counters were preserved then DDO wouldn't loose out on any potential turbine points that they might be giving out. It would just be an easy way to help people who botch a character concept or who tried something that failed maybe without designing the whole thing out in advance in a character planner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafaron View Post
    I think most of the gimped builds COULD be salvageable with LR prior to using a TR. I still think it would be useful to be able to restart at level 1 (gaining no form of benefit like the past life feats) and able to change selection of class/race combination. If the favor and quest completion counters were preserved then DDO wouldn't loose out on any potential turbine points that they might be giving out. It would just be an easy way to help people who botch a character concept or who tried something that failed maybe without designing the whole thing out in advance in a character planner.
    But at that point, why not reroll? If the character is in the first half of his life, you won't be losing any gear that's difficult to replace or that won't go into a shared bank. If he's in the last half of his life, he can bite the bullet and finish leveling.

Make a case for your idea and why it's needed. Otherwise I'm not seeing it.
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member

Default Reroll

The main reason for not rerolling is because I don't want to loose the turbine points spent on tomes and bags and bank slots and etc. Which, unfortunately, runs counter to what Turbine would want from a business standpoint.

The main reason for not rerolling is because I don't want to loose the turbine points spent on tomes and bags and bank slots and etc. Which, unfortunately, runs counter to what Turbine would want from a business standpoint.
    Tomes, bankspace, bags all persist through LR & TR.
    Hey, look. Howard's being eaten.

So that's why you LR instead. I mean, even if you're in a completely terrible spot, like 7sor/7wiz, an LR+5 will make him passable till 20 when you can TR.

So tell us, what position ARE you in?

Okay, so I was thinking it might be a good idea to have some form of reincarnation available to characters before they reach level 20. This sort of reincarnation would ONLY restart the character's level to 1 and let them rebuild the character. I mention this because sometimes it's easy, especially for new players (and even for old ones), to botch a character build so badly that it's nearly impossible to level it back up to 20 in order to TR. I could see why this might have been a problem in the past when quest exp could actually be farmed to 0. There would have needed to be too many checks to verify that the character had enough experience to level back up, but with the new exp ransack mechanic, this should no longer be a problem. It's also not always plausible to just delete the character and start from scratch. Sometimes a lot of turbine points have been invested in tomes and bags and other upgrades specific to the character. This leaves the player with little option other than to slowly slog through the levels until hopefully, some year, they eventually get the character high enough to TR and try not to make the same mistakes the next time around.

I doubt I'm the only one that could use something like this. I've got a whole collection of characters that I'd like to restart at level 1 (as different class/race combinations) without having to struggle through the process of leveling them up, solely for the purposing of starting them over as something not so gimped.
    I can see this good for new people, make it available to be able to tr at level 10 but only if you are a 28 pt build, this would make it more fun for us vets to test out new servers...
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Yeah, I was going to say, don't you mean Lesser Reincarnate?