Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

The first time we ran this quest on EE we had quite a few deaths. It was much easier when taking out the ballistas from the top down plus the shrine at the top is useful just in case you bite the dust.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

I managed to complete this recently on EN with a L28 Cleric and L23+ Sorcerer with my L26 shuriken Monk. Still not easy.

Smart thinking after the first set of deaths devised several tactics that worked for us.

• Mass Frog does quite the number on a ballista and their tenders, with humorous side-effects. That's a L28 Epic Feat from the Divine tree, so...
    • Going top-down is a very good idea. Trying to shoot down from the edges isn't in some cases. The AoE will catch you if the tree-trunk hits the wall in front of you, even from several meters away.
    • Take down the single, isolated ballistas to give yourself some room. It's the triple batteries that can be nasty.
    • Call out if you notice that a ballista is live. Chances are it's targeted on you...and that's good for others to attack. Powerful as they are, the ballistae cannot target multiple enemies.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Let the ballista fire at someone else?
    This may actually be a workable strategy if you are not trying to solo it.

Well, time for me to try again.

Community Member

I've done this quest with all sorts of builds and difficulties. Here is my stratagie for all builds. Enter by way of frontal assault (the guy sitting in the chair). Pull out any old ranged weapon, damage doesn't matter. Swim over to the fort and target the ballistia. Get close to fort wall and jump and fire. Will get a "blocked" message. Back up a little and fire again. Repeat until you hit and then sit there. The ballista will fire and it will hit the ground effectively killing itself. Repeat on all ballistas. There will be one left. Swim over to the spy entrance and go in from above. Attack the ballista from above or take off feather fall and charge. The rest is just mobs and a crystal. The works for me without fail and I usually don't fall victim to the ballistas. The mob on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    As far as ranged is conserved targeting one at a time from above while watching for thier shots on EE my Mechanic/Arti was able to take out all the ballista while only one was able to fire at me once. I just took cover the (shot has a long tell) the melee & sorc in party dealt with the trash.

3 man EE ~10 minutes

Optimal path
    going in on the ship
    jump into water
    swim to cave kill red name
    Exit cave above ballista
    Death from above
    Profit?
    Whee, thanks for stating the painfully obvious: the quest is designed as a big "F*** YOU" to all melee characters.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Whee, thanks for stating the painfully obvious: the quest is designed as a big "F*** YOU" to all melee characters.
    It definitely is I honestly expected there to be a crate with a bow and arrows like in Bargain of blood. Just to taunt the melees some more.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by notsinceyesterday View Post
    I've done this quest with all sorts of builds and difficulties. Here is my stratagie for all builds. Enter by way of frontal assault (the guy sitting in the chair). Pull out any old ranged weapon, damage doesn't matter. Swim over to the fort and target the ballistia. Get close to fort wall and jump and fire. Will get a "blocked" message. Back up a little and fire again. Repeat until you hit and then sit there. The ballista will fire and it will hit the ground effectively killing itself. Repeat on all ballistas. There will be one left. Swim over to the spy entrance and go in from above. Attack the ballista from above or take off feather fall and charge. The rest is just mobs and a crystal. The works for me without fail and I usually don't fall victim to the ballistas. The mob on the other hand...
    That reads like an interesting tactic. Still kinda meh you need to cheese it to be workable as solo melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    That reads like an interesting tactic. Still kinda meh you need to cheese it to be workable as solo melee.
    Correction: as any melee. Except in-party you basically stand back while waiting for the ranged party members to clean it up. Bo-o-o-ring
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    It definitely is I honestly expected there to be a crate with a bow and arrows like in Bargain of blood. Just to taunt the melees some more.
    Ask a caster to coat you in grease first just to make sure you get an even burn all over.

Agreed that ballista should not be able to fire at point-blank range, giving melee an option to kill it if they can get close enough and stay close enough. Being targeted by other ballista while you do this is fair enough, you're the threat and anything else is just collateral damage.

Add in an optional to release barrels of oil onto them from above, then light the trail of oil to watch them kaboom. If you can only carry a single barrel of oil at a time and do nothing else while carrying it then so be it (allow an option to drop it and pick it back up again until you're in position so you can still deal with trash).

EDIT: As an aside, a lowly cold shield spell will reduce your damage by 50%. Main problem I see with the AI is that if you're within a certain distance of them you can see the bolt coming towards you and take appropriate action not to be turned into a kebab. But if you retreat beyond the draw distance where you can see them, they're still locked onto you and can hit you without any sort of warning. Tested repeatedly and definitely needs a tweak.

Correction: as any melee. Except in-party you basically stand back while waiting for the ranged party members to clean it up. Bo-o-o-ring
    Having problems thinking out of the armored box you've put your mind in, are you?

I'm being a bit snide to suggest something. Play to your strengths and what others have said here. You CAN rush the ballistas and they can be attacked directly. But you can't go all "Hulk smash" about your attack, ignorant of other ballistae and so need a bit of strategy. My analogy to Normandy's Omaha Beach was chosen for a reason. You couldn't just rush up that beach or you would be absolutely murdered. The story has the ballistae as an anti-SHIP weapon, so killing any of us is naturally going to happen unless we're smarter than the average bludgeon (which is why this thread got started).

Think in "WoW" terms and you might as well go play something else. Think in D&D terms and the quest is a nice challenge. Even as a melee you should have some sort of ranged option, but a bit of strategy suggests that you shouldn't have to use your weaker ranged attack for the whole quest.

If the quest is boring to you, then it's time to move on to another thread, don'tcha think?
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Having problems thinking out of the armored box you've put your mind in, are you?

I'm being a bit snide to suggest something. Play to your strengths and what others have said here. You CAN rush the ballistas and they can be attacked directly. But you can't go all "Hulk smash" about your attack, ignorant of other ballistae and so need a bit of strategy. My analogy to Normandy's Omaha Beach was chosen for a reason. You couldn't just rush up that beach or you would be absolutely murdered. The story has the ballistae as an anti-SHIP weapon, so killing any of us is naturally going to happen unless we're smarter than the average bludgeon (which is why this thread got started).

Think in "WoW" terms and you might as well go play something else. Think in D&D terms and the quest is a nice challenge. Even as a melee you should have some sort of ranged option, but a bit of strategy suggests that you shouldn't have to use your weaker ranged attack for the whole quest.

If the quest is boring to you, then it's time to move on to another thread, don'tcha think?
    I actually like the quest and people have found ways to beat it on a melee as obvious from this thread, it's just how comparably easy it is on a ranged toon in contrast to a melee that is unbalanced.
    That unbalance happens sometimes it's just really painfully obvious in this quest.

I like Deadlocks Idea to add some blackpowder solution, you know Omhaha beach engineers and sappers and all

I solo this run with my melee on EE when I'm doing my sagas... what a FUN adventure. I don't think I played this quest since... 2010?... so it was refreshing (and really surprising!) to step into this one and see how challenging it was. Even without the surprise after the initial revisit, I get excited and nervous when I step into this run. That kind of feeling is becoming rarer in DDO these days, so I value it immensely.

DON'T CHANGE A THING ABOUT THIS QUEST!
    Proud Leader of Redemption

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyanne View Post
    Ballista can only fire if they have crew. So you take out the pirates around the ballista then you can smack away without fear. Any coordinated insta kill or CC method works on them quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theolin View Post
    Have noticed if you can immobilize / kill the Batista team before they arm it to fire, it is much easier.
    wear the orcish boots for fire absorption and you will survive hits

I believe I saw one of the mobs repairing a ballista I had damaged. Anyone else?
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post

Don't get me wrong, your suggestion is good and inventive. What it does show, unfortunately, is that they haven't thought of and/or intentionally designed this against melee toons - as we're having to resort to various terrain imperfections, AI glitches etc. to make it work for us where it's a relative cakewalk for ranged toons.

Maybe we have different views of (C)RPGs, but any encounter where a DM doesn't provide a variety of possible solutions is **** design. Textbook stuff, you know. I'm not asking to make this easier, but there should be other viable approaches *envisioned by the devs*. Examples:

- Ballistae are slow to turn around and/or have a range of fire so they can only fire forward. You have an advantage if you attack through the secret wildman path.
    - Ballistae stop firing if you kill their crew.
    - Ballistae have proper strengths and weaknesses (high DR? sure! Evasion? Hell no! Weakness to fire, immunity to lightning? Maybe.)
    - Ballistae can't fire point-blank.
    - As someone suggested, a way to sabotage ballistae via sneaking (powder kegs or other).
    - A way to capture a ballista rather than killing it, allowing you to use it against enemies.

etc.

Devs need to be creative so players can have fun and be creative. Ranging for 15 minutes with a thrower is not fun, while finding terrain glitch spots is metagaming and breaks immersion. Why am I writing? Like anyone, hoping this is heard and changes are made. I don't want this made too easy (although seriously, it's a level 20 quest), but give us some proper tools to work with.

but give us some proper tools to work with.
    large bricks above that require high str to push off and crush the balista would be pretty cool not something so obvious like a boulder but perhaps stone bricks from the wall itself above. just a thought anyway.

Those ballistas are a cool idea, but they are very buggy:

• Sometimes they still fire when you CC the person manning them.
    • Sometimes they still fire after you kill the person manning them.
    • Sometimes they fire (repetitively) completely unmanned.
    • They can still fire while being CCed (If they save vs EiN for example)
    • They can still fire after being destroyed
    • They often seem to hit you twice (doublestrike?). I tried to put some fire absorb on, but they seem to hit you twice about 25% of the time.
    • They have evasion. No seriously, the ballistas have evasion! ....

I don't mind the damage, but I wish the behavior was more consistent because it's pretty awful for melee to get killed by a unmanned dead ballista...
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123