Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is the Monster Manual dead?

I hear a lot of players in game talking about how great the Monster Manual is and how we'd love a new one, but it's been several updates without one, almost a year if my memory serves well? I remember on a DDOCast that I listened to a few months back, Rowan said that it seemed players weren't interested and there were no plans for making another unless players showed interest. I can't be the only one waiting for another, am I?
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

Rowan lied.
    They wont be making more MM because it is time consuming and isnt profitable for turbine.

Sadly, even tough it was one of the unanimously loved feature, they stopped making them. Too much work, apparently.

Last one was released in February 2013...

Really wish they'd bring it back. Hell if they are hiring I'd even gladly apply for cheap just to do new MM.
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Rowan lied.
    They wont be making more MM because it is time consuming and isnt profitable for turbine.
    This.

I could not find the thread but there has been a statement somewhere that MMs are overly complex to do. Another great concept abandoned due to lack of resources.

i love monster manuals. i find nothing wrong with them. i know others who love them too. i have yet to meet someone who owns it and hates it.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Rowan lied.
    Indeed this. Everyone I ever spoke with about it enjoyed having it, and quite disappointed they discontinued it.
    It's one of the things I wish they'd do a kickstarter for.

Greetz,
    Red Orm
    Will Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Khyber (mail Ninevrisei) if you provide the needed materials.

The potential for the MM is amazing. I don't think it has been implemented as well as it could be, but just mucking about through the pages while waiting for an lfm to fill is enjoyable.

And yes, as it has already been said it is too much work for the profit it provides. Shame really. If they ever decide to return to it, I'd suggest next volumes be more like the first ones, reward tp over xp.
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

Rowan lied.
    That's really disappointing. I did notice the last one was kind of rushed. I wish they'd at least add a few of the missing, common races (wrights, ogres) to make it feel more complete if they're going to discontinue it.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

Such a great feature, but it seems they have to manually add each new monster each update.

Would be great if they could automate that or make it less labor intensive, then the manual would be a great thing to have extended.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I enjoy it enormously myself.
    But I can imagine with all things that they can do potentially that when this cost too much time than anticipated it will be neglected.

The sad part around this is that they didn't realise it before they started on it. but that is life I guess, sometimes it doesn't go like you like.

Everyone I know loves their manual as well. Random XP is great fun and so is the ability to see Monster HP (a very good reward) after lots of questing and kills.

Sadly the MM is very time consuming and there are a lot of other plans set forth in the game
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

The Monster manuals are lots of fun,I even ground out the Beholder.
    I actually paid for all of mine before i went VIP with real money.
    Anyway would like to see more of them,maybe add Dragons

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up Love the MM as well

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Such a great feature, but it seems they have to manually add each new monster each update.

Would be great if they could automate that or make it less labor intensive, then the manual would be a great thing to have extended.
    I believe this is true from what I remember, which makes me wonder about the implementation. Why did they have to tie everything to such a tedious "behind the curtains" process? Remove all the named as conditions and simply count kills by individual, account and party. Add an optional to some quests involving libraries where you can have a chance to "find" tomes of scholar to boost your knowledge - make 'em tradeable with Shards. I am sure this community could come up with other suggestions as well.

I think the MM is great and would like to see it get a boost.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 06-11-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

When it first released I thought it would just be a gadget.
    Well this is how it looked, first.
    But then after many TRs I began to see its potential and bought the rest. It makes killing dwarves even more fun !

This is a typical non p2w store goodie that doesn't change your play habbits/performances if you don't have it and give you a little plus if you own it.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

It's really too bad they feel this won't make them any money to expand it. They already have the shards tied to it so if they could make it where upon completion of a monster you get a discount to buy shards or some such they could make alot of money.
    Lightsocket, Lightarrow, Lighter, Lighttank, Lightzapper
    Lightmeup, Lightsage, Lightemup, Lightrock, Lightbright, Lightsurge, Lightmaker, Lightbeam, Lightmist

Community Member

I didn't like my MM this past life.
    I was experimenting trying to decrease the XP I made in an attempt to increase my Comms of Valor to XP ratio. Still wound up about 1000 CoVs short when I hit 28.

The next monster manual can be purchased with shards only. We think a fair shard price is 8550 shards.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

A game feature that was only half completed and then abandoned? One that the players actually enjoyed and were willing to spend money on? In this game? Never....

I love the MMs, I would definitely pay for more of them.
    We need a new one with:
    Ogres
    Gnolls
    Wights
    Vampires
    Air Elementals
    Drow
    Defenders (Various construct dogs)
    Bearded Devils
    Living Oozes
    Dragons

These selections would round out the various chapters well... and Dragons just because... you know we want them.
    My preference for the cosmetic companions you could work toward would be psuedo dragon and mini-defender so that my artificier's dog would look like it had a puppy.
    "Its not D&D anymore, more D$D." -- Brannigan
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Rowan lied.
    Actually if he said that in the podcast he wasn't lying.
    He said exactly what you said just not as bluntly (equate player interest with how much money they think they can make with the feature).
    Last edited by Pandir; 06-11-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast