Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Cigarette Butts....Really?

Really?

Because someone says they are biodegradable smokers think they can throw them on the ground.

It takes 3 to 15 years for one C Butt to biodegrade depending on where it happens to be in the environment when and where it eventually settles and makes its gross home to sit there and stink.

According to wiki cigarette butts are nearly 25 percent of all Trash! This is alarming for something so small!

I know some of you who respond to this thread are going to say you always put your butts in an ashtray and then eventually empty the ashtray into a garbage can, but then I know you would be lying. I am sure there was some point in your travels you threw one on the ground.

Switch to non filters ftw please.

Quote Originally Posted by GreataxeUser View Post
    Really?

Because someone says they are biodegradable smokers think they can throw them on the ground.

It takes 3 to 15 years for one C Butt to biodegrade depending on where it happens to be in the environment when and where it eventually settles and makes its gross home to sit there and stink.

According to wiki cigarette butts are nearly 25 percent of all Trash! This is alarming for something so small!

I know some of you who respond to this thread are going to say you always put your butts in an ashtray and then eventually empty the ashtray into a garbage can, but then I know you would be lying. I am sure there was some point in your travels you threw one on the ground.

Switch to non filters ftw please.
    It's disgusting and yes it is litter, yet so many smokers chuck them wherever pleases them. I always said to myself i wonder how they would react if i gathered a large green garbage bag full of them(and i could) and dumped it on their front lawn if they would see it for what it truly is. Picture nice green lawn full of cig butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    It's disgusting and yes it is litter, yet so many smokers chuck them wherever pleases them. I always said to myself i wonder how they would react if i gathered a large green garbage bag full of them(and i could) and dumped it on their front lawn if they would see it for what it truly is. Picture nice green lawn full of cig butts.
    I throw mine on the front lawn and than a week later the lawnmower eats them.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I throw mine on the front lawn and than a week later the lawnmower eats them.
    There are piles similar to this at the hospitals exits where i work. Some people don't like smoking in the designated areas when it rains...or it's cold(or they are too lazy to walk there as they tend to be further away). I know right lol so funny.

They even smoke while sitting on the bench right below the no-smoking sign(staff and patients). I've grown tired that they don't even acknowledge me pointing it out or listen to security when they are asked not to do it. But I'm glad your lawn mower can eat them maybe you should patent that technology, apparently you will never run out of work.

Community Member

At my school I see people throwing their cigarette butts around all the time, but what am I going to do? Take pictures and report them to the police? I'm not all that zealous about it. Heavy industry polutes our planet infinitly more. It's not excuse but, I don't want to run the risk of either losing a friend or having to fight some guy over a cigarette butt. If they throw it on my front lawn, that's an other story. If they throw it on the school's lawn, yeah well, sucks but it's life.

Not all people care about the environement and truth be told, I quite often was walking around the city with stuff I needed to throw in the garbage, yet there's so few garbage bins around I really felt like just throwing it on the ground like SO many people do. I imagine smokers got the same problem at times, no where to dispose of their stuff.

ANNNND just watch George Carlin's youtube video about pollution. As he says, the planet suffered much worse than the invention of plastic bags. If it takes 3-15 years to biodegrade, meh, the planet is how many billion years old? Just arguing for the sake of arguing really.

I don't care either way. Some neighbourhoods are dirty, some are clean and that's up to you to chose where to live and among who to live.

Even as a smoker I agree, but the following is just silliness:

Yeah, that's not a true thing. Not even remotely close. It doesn't even begin to make sense. Consider this: If everyone on the planet smoked, it would still mean that 25% of all of your trash would be your own personal cigarette butts.

As a pack-a-day guy, I put out one, sometimes two garbage bags each week for the garbageman. My cigarette butts for a week at a pack a day totals 140 butts. Do you really think 140 cigarettes fills 25% of a garbage bag? It fills 25% of a ziplock sandwich bag, tops. That is nowhere near 25% of my garbage.

EDIT: The wiki article says 25% of items collected, not 25% of trash.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

i just spent a winter working cleanup crew in an RV resort in Texas.

this was my every weekend.

srsly. i don't care if the butts get thrown in the firepit... AS LONG AS THE FIRE IS GOING. the next guest does not want to see that nasty mess when they come in, and i can guarantee that whoever left this mess for me would have pitched a fit worthy of a 5 year old if they pulled in to a park for 60+ bucks a night and found that waiting for them.

some smokers are very considerate. the majority are not. :-/

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Filters make it smell worse than it could be.

Non filtered smells better btw, just to let you smokers know.

The filter actually makes smokers smell like a 120 degree, festering, dump splashed with mildewed locker room socks. Where as non filtered smells more like leaves from a campfire.

Yep the filter is what makes smokers stink because of what the filter is made from and bla bla bla bla, Stink!

Filters make it smell worse than it could be.

Non filtered smells better btw, just to let you smokers know.

The filter actually makes smokers smell like a 120 degree, festering, dump splashed with mildewed locker room socks. Where as non filtered smells more like leaves from a campfire.

Yep the filter is what makes smokers stink because of what the filter is made from and bla bla bla bla, Stink!
    its called vaping realy helps reduce the trash but unfortunately they are getting banned bc it is hurting the tobacco industry. so just remember there is away around the trash that most smokers are turning to they just are seen as a threat bc it is taking money from Phillip Morris and all them senators that are too in deep with them
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Interesting topic... I'll bite.

Nothing like cruising down the highway topless and have the <expletive> ahead of you toss butts out the window to explode into a cloud of glowing embers - some of which whip around and into my Jeep.

So far, only once have I been in a bad enough mood to get back ahead of the offending vehicle and empty MY ashtray over the side. MY ashtray being full of pennies...
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

I dont litter at all.. but i.do smoke and i hate when you none smokeds go off.. stop driving your cars. Using aerosols eating meat and cut your hair you dirty hippie...respectively

^ Wow that was impressive.

On a related note: While I am at work, I noticed all smokers say cruel things because they are agitated that a chemical in their body is missing and get frustrated over small stuff because their bodies need the nicotine. So they rant about something, make an excuse, exclaim they need a cigareete to their co-workers and then rush outside to get happy. Come back inside and don't realize how bad they smell and expect the non smokers to just take it. Rinse and repeat every 20 minutes.

Not cool.
    Last edited by GreataxeUser; 06-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theis View Post
    I dont litter at all..
    You have never thrown a cigarette butt on the ground for flicked it with your fingers to try and look cool and see how far you can make it go?

Never once, ever?

Smokers do this, all of them do this. I also see them putting out the cigarettes on the sides of the building at work. The bricks in that area have black marks all over them. It is disgusting and stinky.

Another story and since this is off topic chat and it's my thread I am going to keep going. muahahahahahahahhahaha, ok so I went to the store and bought some sushi, good stuff right, ok so I get into my car and roll down the windows and I am loving it and the sushi is very tasty because it is a nice sunny day, low humidity, perfect temperature. I see another shopper going to his car and I am downwind from him about 50 feet. He is smoking and I am getting a good wif of this nasty order even though I am that far away. I am thinking to myself, "Oh that's nice. Your breathe which stinks really bad is now in my car and in my nose and my sushi fun time just got ruined. I am thinking, "Whatever hes an adult and he has that choice". But what he does next is he throws the butt on the ground stomps it out with his foot and drives off. This story is why I made this thread in the first place. It happened two days ago. I said I need to vent and I am thankful there is a way to do it in these forums.
    Last edited by GreataxeUser; 06-12-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

You act like this only started happening after the biodegradable thing came out. It hasn't. These things have been on the ground since they were invented. People don't care about their surroundings if it means not having to walk to a container to throw something out. The cigarette packs with the plastic and foil on them are right there with the butts too, they don't think it's okay because the filters are biodegradable, they just don't care. That is the real problem.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Default Stop the habit or don't start it, that is all we can do to stop this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

EDIT: The wiki article says 25% of items collected, not 25% of trash.
    Ok so I may have misinterpreted the article, but that is still alarming imo.....very alarming.

I read another article from Popular Science magazine, but I can't link it, because it pops up an ad spam. 4.5 trillion cigarette butts make their way into our ecosystem every year! Every year!

Scientists have devised a way to use the chemicals in the butts to stop corrosion in steal. Butts are useful in that regard, but whatever, so they are not going away and will continue to pollute our environment. Nothing we can do about it except don't start the habit.
    Last edited by GreataxeUser; 06-12-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    You act like this only started happening after the biodegradable thing came out. It hasn't. These things have been on the ground since they were invented. People don't care about their surroundings if it means not having to walk to a container to throw something out. The cigarette packs with the plastic and foil on them are right there with the butts too, they don't think it's okay because the filters are biodegradable, they just don't care. That is the real problem.
    Well said and sorry if my first post was off base a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathimon View Post
    If it takes 3-15 years to biodegrade, meh, the planet is how many billion years old? Just arguing for the sake of arguing really.

I don't care either way. Some neighbourhoods are dirty, some are clean and that's up to you to chose where to live and among who to live.
    It is a huge problem and the age of the Earth has nothing to do with it. Are you trying to say that all this cigarette butt trash is ok because the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and they biodegrade anyway. That is absurd and makes no sense and is a twist on this debate that I frankly am appalled by.

There is too many of these things that collect each year and the problem grows faster than the biodegrade is happening. It is a one step forward and two steps back pile of mess and stink.

It is up to us to choose where we live, correct, but smokers intrude their smell and smoke into our lives without our consent and we have no choice in the matter to feel the effects that are bad affects on a non smokers health at that. It would be like a non smoker using a megaphone and an air horn when they go out in public and use them at inappropriate moments right in someones ear causing hearing loss. Where we live has nothing to do with it and is a bad argument and is also pompous to even say. This thread may get closed soon.

Chase out ewryone that smokes with an axe. Works great in my private property.

Can't the tabaco people smoke at home, or in well ventilated areas, or vape?

Seriously ****ers are worse than crackheads. Crackhead at least has decency to smoke crack away from public eyes (well usually), and die/go to prison pretty fast.

And they complain that I stink when I haven't bathed for just a week, and that my incense candles make their heads hurt. Such hypocrites. (well the incense smoke bombs are to get rid of the smoke smell anyway). But they are on my private property, and in well ventilated areas. Why complain, if you can just go down the street?

But yea smokers are rude as hell. Just use as much violence as you legally can, when you see one. I have gotten 3 people switch to vapes this way.

Glycerin is not good for you ether tho. But its in hand creams and stuff, so we absorb it anyhow. Start doing that long term research lol.

Community Member

^ Wow that was impressive.

On a related note: While I am at work, I noticed all smokers say cruel things because they are agitated that a chemical in their body is missing and get frustrated over small stuff because their bodies need the nicotine. So they rant about something, make an excuse, exclaim they need a cigareete to their co-workers and then rush outside to get happy. Come back inside and don't realize how bad they smell and expect the non smokers to just take it. Rinse and repeat every 20 minutes.

Not cool.
    Addicts can get very defensive when you attack their drug of choice. Some are considerate, but the majority are only concerned about getting their fix. Smoking inhibits some sense of smell, so most smokers don't notice that they stink, much less do they notice how far the smell carries. My uncle says that a lot of behavior associated with smoking is propagated by movies, old advertisements, and peer pressure. No one likes to be told they are wrong, especially when they are.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Ya I think I will go to work tomorrow and fart in the presence of the smokers and see if they can smell it. And if they can, I will say to them, 'How is that second hand fart smell treating you'? How does it feel to have such a nasty order imposed on you without your consent, now just take it and live with it because it is what it is and I am going to do this to you every 30 minutes or so. 'Have a nice day', I will then say.

Or I could eat a lot of eggs and drink a ton of chocolate milk right before I go to work and take a fart break and go outside every 1/2 hour. Hmmmm, its a win win no matter what I choose for a chance for me to show them to see how it feels and they will have to cover my department every time I go outside and or take the time to babysit me if a customer asks for me. Like when us non smokers have to go outside and say hey, "so and so is looking for you and btw I had to take the time out of my job duties to go and get you because of your habit and now there is two of us not doing anything constructive'.

Also when non smokers take a break at work they sometimes stay inside the building and can still hear their pages if they get called and promptly take care of the matter, where as smokers do not hear the pages and then a non smoker has to go get them. This is a flaw in the system and we non smokers hate it, but it is dealt with in this way every time and is a nuisance. Also it seems that for me when management will see me taking a break and because I am not outside I am immediately shunned as a slacker, where as smokers get special privileges because they are out of sight and out of mind. Just something I noticed at my job. This does not mean it is for all peoples jobs. It is just at mine.
    Last edited by GreataxeUser; 06-13-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast