Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Many people don't PuG for personal reasons - made up or from a bad personal experience

Other reasons why there seems to be fewer LFM:

1. People don't want to put up LFMs/Lead groups
    2. Hirelings - groups can fill using an AI hireling in a party slot
    3. Adventure Packs/Expansion Packs create a separation in the player base
    4. Level range of 1 to 28 spreads out the population
    5. People see lack of LFMs not because there is a lack but there is a lack on what they want to run

Quote Originally Posted by ericf View Post
    Hey I took 6 years off, I'm sorry if this has been discussed over and over, but holy cow what does it take to get a group started anymore? I'll have listings up all the time, and its like crickets and tumbleweed. Do raids ever happen anymore? I'll check guild listings online, and at most all I ever see is 6 people on per guild, so its not like all these private runs are going on. Game is so much better now, but puging is awful now.
    What I noticed over the years is a migration of players to channels/closed groups.

I attribute a lot of this to bonusses that allowed first time players to level too quickly.
    Things like Vetern status (a option to buy higher starting levels.. nothing to do with actually being a vetern player) allows yout to start at levels 4, 7.
    XP stones that give you the ability to level to level 18 without running any quests whatsoever.
    Iconic Heroes. start with enough XP to level to 15.

What I found is a much higher volume of new players buying their way into higher level toons, many even with TR lives that did not have what I would call expected common knowledge of game basics.
    -like carrying curse/poison/heal pots, fortification, etc....
    -lack of expected gear for the level they are at.
    -no plat to maintain themselves..
    -no game mechanic knowledge like running down unexplored hallways when the party already has more than it can handle, and kiting mobs back to party crying for heals.
    -joining lfms and not having pack or required prerequisite for the lfm.

as a result many Vetern players started closing themselves off from LFM's.

another loss is the raid nights..
    with TR's and loss of counters when TR'ing, many players dont run raids anymore or even bother to flag many of the chains just because it is pointless to flag for a raid when you know you will XP cap before getting an opportunity to take adavantage of the raids.
    I know I don't bother doing many raids anymore because I know I am planning to TR so with the incremental counter being reset on TR there is no point.

Hirlings..
    why get a unknown pug when you can get a useless hirling.. at least you know the hrling is under contract and you can kick them out anytime.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 06-16-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    What I noticed over the years is a migration of players to channels/closed groups.

I attribute a lot of this to bonusses that allowed first time players to level too quickly.
    Things like Vetern status (a option to buy higher starting levels.. nothing to do with actually being a vetern player) allows yout to start at levels 4, 7.
    XP stones that give you the ability to level to level 18 without running any quests whatsoever.

What I found is a much higher volume of new players buying their way into higher level toons, many even with TR lives that did not have what I would call expected common knowledge of game basics.
    -no game mechanic knowledge like running down unexplored hallways when the party already has more than it can handle, and kiting mobs back to party crying for heals.

with TR's and loss of counters when TR'ing, many players dont run raids anymore or even bother to flag many of the chains just because it is pointless to flag for a raid when you know you will XP cap before getting an opportunity to take adavantage of the raids.
    I know I don't bother doing many raids anymore because I know I am planning to TR so with the incremental counter being reset on TR there is no point.

Hirlings..
    why get a unknown pug when you can get a useless hirling.. at least you know the hrling is under contract and you can kick them out anytime.
    Jot nailed it IMO. I used to pug a lot. Now it's much easier and more fun for me to run with guildies and channel people almost exclusively.

Pugs were replaced by Guilds. Why run a pug with you can play with people you already know? I cannot rememeber the last time I ran with a pug. No reason to. If my guildmates are not on then I just solo whatever quest I need to run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

Pugs represent a portion of the MMO population that has always, and will always PUG. When those people leave for greener pastures, or the rate of new sign-ups decreases, then pugs die. Simple.

I hate channels, always have to re-join when I tr/etr.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post

Hirlings..
    Pugs were always for newbs. Always. You simply found your reason to become an elitist. Most others found their reason way before you did.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Pugs were always for newbs. Always. You simply found your reason to become an elitist. Most others found their reason way before you did.
    Thats not true, I still jump into pug runs on my cleric regularly, I even send tells to LFM leaders who are having trouble filling if I am on an alt offering to switch to my cleric if they need one to fill the group.
    I play to play, whether I run with top notch players in difficult content, or pug xp/20th incrementals I would rather play in a group than stand around waiting for ideal channel run or solo in boredom.

I do tend to avoid PUG groups when running endgame EE content unless I recongize people in the LFM group.
    The unfortunate reality is many people join EE LFM groups because they want to get the XP and the completion but are woefully unprepared or even choose not to change to a useful destiny to be a useful contributor to the group.

People do need to recongize their limitations whne joining groups instead of being carried through for completions by others.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

I miss pugging. Even in a top-tier guild, I've always enjoyed the social experience of meeting new people...or bumping into non-guild friends often. Hell, some of my current guildies I would've never met if it wasn't for pugging. Love you Virtues.

Meli, idk if your still on Thelanis, but I miss playing with you.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar

Proc ton is a pugging stud
    Officer of Renowned

Hi.

If you have been away for 6 years, you might not know about "streak", this was a mechanic put in to allow more skilled vets to get more exp faster, to reduce the grind for TRing without needing to adjust the whole game's exp requirements (Which they did as well).

Anyway:

• If you are doing a quest on normal or heroic hard, don't expect it to fill As most people only want to do elite for heroic content to keep their elite streak up.
    • If you are doing a quest that is more then 2 levels below you, do not expect your LFM to fill, unless it is a popular raid. the level mark is what level the quest is on normal, +2. IE: If you are doing Proof in the Poison (level 4 on normal) the max level player will be 6th to keep streak, if you are 7th or higher, do not expect your LFM to fill.

Also:

• Do not bother with BYOH, as that is the default norm these days
    • Do not put "need healer", "need tank" in fact needing anything is a major demerit.

I hope this helps you with making your LFM's more appealing and thus filling faster.

Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    I miss pugging. Even in a top-tier guild, I've always enjoyed the social experience of meeting new people...or bumping into non-guild friends often. Hell, some of my current guildies I would've never met if it wasn't for pugging. Love you Virtues.

Meli, idk if your still on Thelanis, but I miss playing with you.

Do you even still play the game? :P
    Imperium Sacrum, Thelanis
    If you aren't playing with others, you're just playing with yourself.
    Aachener Arcanabot Bayerische Burgundian Etaijin Hannoverian Holsteinian Koelner Liladrache Pzkpfwiiil Savoyer Schlesien Silesian Tyrolean Westphalian

Quote Originally Posted by ericf View Post
    Hey I took 6 years off, I'm sorry if this has been discussed over and over, but holy cow what does it take to get a group started anymore? I'll have listings up all the time, and its like crickets and tumbleweed. Do raids ever happen anymore? I'll check guild listings online, and at most all I ever see is 6 people on per guild, so its not like all these private runs are going on. Game is so much better now, but puging is awful now.
    A lot less people are playing.

Those that are left are soloing or only run with acquaintances.

I created the Congo Channel back in the day to combat this very issue. I'm back now after a year break and looking to rejuvenate the concept. Check out the Thelanis Guilds forum for information and testimonials from top players across multiple guilds.

Ren
    [RENEGADE (Monk) - LEGION - FOUNDER AUG 2005]
    Blutus, Bodak, Diablo, Guilloteen, Jellybean, Mantikor
    Marauder, Renaissance, Rigormortiss, Ungajinga, Valkyrie
    1st ww Tower/Vision/Abbot/Shroud, Epic VoN/Chrono, Reaver Xoriat * 1st capped Permatoon

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

Been goine for about 2 years or so. Occasional log in here and there. Anyhow, the LFM 's don't seem to show right. If I hover over one to see who's in the party it usually shows blank, just says member and doesn't seem to work right. Is it just me or are the LFM actually broken?
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by akiraproject24 View Post
    Been goine for about 2 years or so. Occasional log in here and there. Anyhow, the LFM 's don't seem to show right. If I hover over one to see who's in the party it usually shows blank, just says member and doesn't seem to work right. Is it just me or are the LFM actually broken?
    Bit of both. Turbine made some changes. They changed the LFM panel filling up until you click on the Who Tab, click on the search bar and hit enter (or wait for the Search button to appear), after that the LFM's will show correctly (Well, except for the LFM's posted by people with pets who log off and leave ghost LFM's).

It was changed to help with the double login problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    Average man learns from his mistakes
    Foolish man does not learn from his mistakes
    Wise man learns from other's mistakes

2015 DDO Players Council Amber-Dawnn's Avatar

I'm one level over the BB for Necro 4 and I've been forced to solo VoL to get my last piece I'm one week into it and put up an lfm almost every day/night and different times and never get even one person to join. I'm scouting the other servers to find one that has a descent population because this one is so dead it should have been merged with another a while ago.
    Thelanis: Zyniya, Zva, MoneyHoney & SheIsMySin

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber-Dawnn View Post
    I'm one level over the BB for Necro 4 and I've been forced to solo VoL to get my last piece I'm one week into it and put up an lfm almost every day/night and different times and never get even one person to join. I'm scouting the other servers to find one that has a descent population because this one is so dead it should have been merged with another a while ago.
    Ok good bye. Clearly your issue isn't because our server has population or not. It is because you are not running a quest at level. So you post a unpopular lfm and expect people to help you out. What I would have done is. I would have asked my guild and friends for help. Also if you are a level above the quest level, and you can't solo it. Then maybe you broke your toon. Also if you send me a tell zpuma. I will help you out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12