Default Why do Arcanotechnicians get Lightning Bolt?

I'm a little confused as to why the core lvl. 6 enhancement adds lightning bolt to your spellbook when it's already there. It appears in the spell list and is able to be learned from a scroll and used in adventures without that core enhancement learned.

Was it supposed to be an SLA or did the devs just overlook this one?

Community Member

You know, the enhancement saves you the money for the scroll and the inscription components!

Yeah, no, it's a bug, it should not be possible to add it to the spell book without the enhancement.

I've actually been wondering about this myself...though for different reasons:

-What is the Point of Lightning Bolt on an Arti in the first place?
    -By the time you get it from the Enhancement you've already got far more reliable spells anyway!
    -It's far too expensive to spam and is after all only a single target spell in DDO - An Arcanotechnician's strengths are "supposedly" in AOE Crowd Control and DPS - Lightning Bolt {a single target spell that by the time you get it on an Arti won't take a Slayer Zone Trash mob down below Half HP} just doesn't fit!

From the DDOWiki:
    Lightning Bolt: The spell Lightning Bolt is added to your spellbook as a level 3 Artificer spell.
    AP Cost: 1 Progression: 20 Requires: Artificer level 12, Thaumaturgical Battery

Lvl 12!!!

How many Wizards take Lightning Bolt over Fireball or Acid Blast or Chain Missiles?

Lightning Sorcs have to make do with Electric Loop until they get Chain Lightning {long after every other Sorc has a DPS AOE!}

It's a weak spell in DDO {OK except for Kobolds!} and is in no way viable as a Core 4 Enhancement! {Core 2 when it can do some dmg and pre Flame Turret maybe!}.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that Cores 2-5 of Arcanotech are AP Taxes on the way to Core 6 and otherwise of only minimal use!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I've actually been wondering about this myself...though for different reasons:

-What is the Point of Lightning Bolt on an Arti in the first place?
    -By the time you get it from the Enhancement you've already got far more reliable spells anyway!
    -It's far too expensive to spam and is after all only a single target spell in DDO - An Arcanotechnician's strengths are "supposedly" in AOE Crowd Control and DPS - Lightning Bolt {a single target spell that by the time you get it on an Arti won't take a Slayer Zone Trash mob down below Half HP} just doesn't fit!

From the DDOWiki:
    Lightning Bolt: The spell Lightning Bolt is added to your spellbook as a level 3 Artificer spell.
    AP Cost: 1 Progression: 20 Requires: Artificer level 12, Thaumaturgical Battery

Lvl 12!!!

How many Wizards take Lightning Bolt over Fireball or Acid Blast or Chain Missiles?

Lightning Sorcs have to make do with Electric Loop until they get Chain Lightning {long after every other Sorc has a DPS AOE!}

It's a weak spell in DDO {OK except for Kobolds!} and is in no way viable as a Core 4 Enhancement! {Core 2 when it can do some dmg and pre Flame Turret maybe!}.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that Cores 2-5 of Arcanotech are AP Taxes on the way to Core 6 and otherwise of only minimal use!
    Honestly i dont know why light bolt would be bad.
    Slad, currently on my 18 sorc 2 palie bf life it doube hits and every hit does aroun 1400-1800 damage average making it 2800-3600 damage line dps, aka it is not single target, it hits all targets on the way to the one you selected.
    IF you have experience with imp precise shooting, it is a very powerful potent spell.

But yes, for artie it should be a sla

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    Honestly i dont know why light bolt would be bad.
    Slad, currently on my 18 sorc 2 palie bf life it doube hits and every hit does aroun 1400-1800 damage average making it 2800-3600 damage line dps, aka it is not single target, it hits all targets on the way to the one you selected.
    IF you have experience with imp precise shooting, it is a very powerful potent spell.

But yes, for artie it should be a sla
    I was careful about how I categorized it for Sorcs as I expected this objection to come up.

Suffice to say that ANY DPS spell of the right element is going to do good to great DPS on a Sorc specializing in that element!

How often in DDO do you get a perfect column of mobs to shoot a Lightning Bolt through?
    Most of the time my experience is more that mobs tend to group up rather than line up.
    Which makes AOE spells like Fireball, Acid Blast, Ice Storm and Chain Missiles/Lightning significantly better choices than Lightning Bolt - Now Chain Lightning is rather higher level than any of the others which leaves Lightning Sorcs having to rely on Electric Loop as their main AOE at Low-Mid Levels.
    This was what I was talking about!

I don't care how much dmg a particular spell does if optimised for at Lvl 28!
    I'm not too worried about Epic Levels at all!

I just feel that Arcanotechs aren't done well by their Core Enhancements - Core 1 is solid and Core 6 is fine but 2-5 are pretty d@rn weak compared to most other Prestiges {if not all of the others!}!

Putting Lightning Bolt {Spell NOT SLA!} at Core 4 and therefore Min Lvl 12...By which time if an Arti is making use of electric spells he/she has far better choices of spells that do both DPS and CC...And adding nothing extra to that Core either is particularly egregious!

Moving Lightning Bolt to Core 2 {SLA} and placing Chain Lightning {Spell Slot} for instance at Core 4 would be a good start...Although I personally feel that both the Artificer Trees need serious work anyway!