Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

I don't really have any issue with buffs being maintained during a death. Death penalties are obviously not nearly as detrimental as they used to be (when we actually lost experience upon a death) but they are still there, although minor. it also helps with mechanics like the Shroud were the whole party is killed is advance the quest...should all of those players those their buffs because they followed the quest mechanic? But like I said, that is minor to me.

I'm looking more forward to seeing how the amenities will be laid out on the ships and their respective buffs which sounds good to me. I'm just now trying to figure out how many of each amenity we will get and how best to lay them out.

Community Member

Default Old Augments

I saw only one post asking what will happen to the old augments - tiny, small, medium and large -- since they are guild bonuses will they stack with the new amenities? Also are the levels for use of augments still the same 10 25 50 and 70 approximately per size? Will vendors in House K still be selling these augments. I hope old time players like myself are not punished by having these go away after we worked hard to obtain such equipment with augments, etc. Can some of the devs address these concerns please?

Just as an add -- Is stone of change part of cannith crafting group or will need to use the legacy hooks to get this on the ship?

And like most -- happy about the upcoming changes . My congrats on ithe creativity of it!

Community Member

Slightly confused: the list gives the initial amenities available at guild level 10 but currently on live the earliest a guild can get an airship is guild level 15.

Is there is new smaller ship?

or have the levels for accessing the small ship been changed?

Furelli

Quote Originally Posted by Paisheng View Post
    what will happen to the old augments - tiny, small, medium and large -- since they are guild bonuses will they stack with the new amenities?
    Almost certainly not.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You're thinking with the old mentality. I also rebuff before logging off, but under the new system it's a non-issue since you can refresh all your buffs with one single click. (Or at least one single interaction. It may require two clicks.)
    yes, it's a issue. I have friends whose game crashes when entering in certain wilderness or quests. It is a old failure that turbine take time to fix, but if the buffs disappear in death these people could never have buffs.

I think it's good that buffs no disappearing with death. You lose the spell buffs, you have one minute time penalty for death. If the experience bonus for not dying to become a personal bonus instead of a party bonus would be perfect.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

It's not elitist. I'm remembering back to when I was a beginner. Back then, having ship buffs disappear on death added a significant amount of fun to the game. Nowadays it doesn't much matter to me either way because I die so rarely.

What does annoy me about ship buffs is that they run out and have to be refreshed for no particular reason. If they had no timer, but instead disappeared on death/logout, then I would never again have to deal with pugs needing to refresh buffs between quests where nobody was dying and we were facerolling packs at a time. (eg: Blasting through a necro pack, or doing all the gianthold walkups or shroud flags in one go, etc...)

With timers, regardless how long they are, it's pretty much guaranteed that pugs where people don't usually die will be arbitrarily slowed down by various people having to stop and rebuff in the middle of questing for no meaningful reason other than some randomly timed countdown happened to end.
    For you is fun. For many people it's not fun. Recently I helped to several newbies to the game, and none of them like to lose the ship buffs.

Your preferences are not necessarily universal, Ellis. In fact, they are not.

Timers? What for? the system proposed by turbine is better. I do not want either wait for people to come to the ship to rebuff. I do not care that now rebuff is faster. You have to waste time going to the ship (which takes time from certain parts of the game, as eveningstar.) There are still people whose game crashes when entering certain areas. I don't want to risk having to wait for log in when playing a quest chain, etc. It's not the end of the world not permanently lose the ship buffs, Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    Your preferences are not necessarily universal, Ellis. In fact, they are not.
    This is a meaningless statement. Neither are yours. Neither are anybody's.

Timers? What for? the system proposed by turbine is better.
    The system proposed by turbine is timers. My proposal is to not have timers. Perhaps you're confused?

There are still people whose game crashes when entering certain areas. I don't want to risk having to wait for log in when playing a quest chain, etc.
    The game crashing is irrelevant to either proposal. You won't lose ship buffs from crashing either way.

This is a meaningless statement. Neither are yours. Neither are anybody's.

The system proposed by turbine is timers. My proposal is to not have timers. Perhaps you're confused?

The game crashing is irrelevant to either proposal. You won't lose ship buffs from crashing either way.
    Long timers. I dont see problem with those long timers. But here there are people who are proposing that the timers are shortened with the deaths, or buffs disappear when you log out. Or with death. With that I do see problems. In all these cases people have to go to the ship (a waste of time) and often exit and re-enter in troublesome areas for certain people whose game crashes.

I have never claimed that my preferences are universal. But you are insisting that for you as beginner was fun lose the buffs with death. Well, I point out that I know a few newbies who think otherwise. They think that are being penalized for not knowing the game mechanics.

Guild buffs are special. They do not disappear with rest or in anti-magic fields; I see no problems that can not be removed by death.
    Last edited by Iriale; 05-17-2014 at 05:31 AM.

people have to go to the ship (a waste of time) and often exit and re-enter in troublesome areas for certain people whose game crashes.
    To clarify, my proposal of having them disappear on death/logout would not have them disappear on a game crash or repeated client reloads in troublesome areas. It wouldn't work if you lost them on client crash, I agree.

I'm suggesting they tie them to the same timer that resets your clickies and hp/mana bars on logout. You know how if your client crashes and you log back in a few minutes later, you still have your same buffs and clickie charges? You'd still have your ship buffs. But if you log out for the day, tomorrow when you log back in all your clickies are recharged and your hp/mana bars are full. It's this "extended logout" that I want to tie ship buffs to.

Anyone have how many buff spots in 3 new ships that went live on lamnia Friday?
    Soulsavour 28 cleric completionist/epic completionist, Soundofthe Melodymaster 20 lock completionist/triple epic completionist (working on triple normal completionist), Holypoo 28 pally epic completionist, Edgeofshadows 28 rogue

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lifespawn View Post
    Still hate that buffs don't go away when you die.
    Vargouille, can you please add an option in Settings for the hardcore people so they can uncheck "buffs remain through death"? Then we can keep the current duration and they can be happy about these new buffs also

2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Vargouille, can you please add an option in Settings for the hardcore people so they can uncheck "buffs remain through death"? Then we can keep the current duration and they can be happy about these new buffs also
    They can not take the buffs at all. I mean you want to be hardcore right? Why even get them in the first place then.
    Officer of Renowned

Community Member

To clarify, my proposal of having them disappear on death/logout would not have them disappear on a game crash or repeated client reloads in troublesome areas. It wouldn't work if you lost them on client crash, I agree.

I'm suggesting they tie them to the same timer that resets your clickies and hp/mana bars on logout. You know how if your client crashes and you log back in a few minutes later, you still have your same buffs and clickie charges? You'd still have your ship buffs. But if you log out for the day, tomorrow when you log back in all your clickies are recharged and your hp/mana bars are full. It's this "extended logout" that I want to tie ship buffs to.
    You are a vet that rarely dies. What you are proposing is something to help you while simultaneously hurting the majority of the player base. You could play 10-12 hours in a day without rebuffing while others would have to either rebuff or wait for someone that died to rebuff.

Your proposal is completely self-serving, but that wasn't enough, you had to make sure it was harder for others so you want the buffs to end on death. Stop trying to make the game harder for new and casual players. This existing change made by the devs extends the time of your buffs and does nothing to hurt you. it's a welcome change.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

For you is fun. For many people it's not fun. Recently I helped to several newbies to the game, and none of them like to lose the ship buffs.
    Teach them how not to die.

Default List of the New Guid Airships

Hi all. Thanks for posting all the old ship upgrades and amenities Madja! For any one who is curious I posted the data on the available new ships over on Doctor Octo's main thread here- https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5336175. The Frigate is a small upgrade from the Typhoon, the but the others offer a lot more goodies. Hope it helps someone!
    Main- Carrianne Taliesin Elven Fighter 12/Ranger 6/Rogue 2 Tempest AA, Orien

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    You are a vet that rarely dies. What you are proposing is something to help you while simultaneously hurting the majority of the player base. You could play 10-12 hours in a day without rebuffing while others would have to either rebuff or wait for someone that died to rebuff.

Your proposal is completely self-serving, but that wasn't enough, you had to make sure it was harder for others so you want the buffs to end on death. Stop trying to make the game harder for new and casual players. This existing change made by the devs extends the time of your buffs and does nothing to hurt you. it's a welcome change.
    If we wont lose buffs on death, why didnt turbine make them permanent until you log off?
    But this has flaws too, dc problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    If we wont lose buffs on death, why didnt turbine make them permanent until you log off?
    But this has flaws too, dc problem.
    They clearly stated it. They want duration to be based on guild level. If they were permanent guild level wouldn't matter.

The "until logoff" isn't universally beneficial. if someone logs on and plays only 2 hours per night their buffs would last 2 play sessions with a 4 hour buff. if someone plays 10 hours they will have to buff 3 times in one play session.

Considering we had 1 hr buffs I am not about to complain about only 3 hrs buffs.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

This is silliness. Losing ship buffs on death is not a hardship for new players. Evidence: It's always been this way.

Ship buffs persisting through death just further waters down the game. Your exact logic is just as compelling for removing the mechanic of dying altogether. We already have the mechanic in-game with the tutorial quest on Korthos. Why not simply remove all deaths? Won't somebody think of the new players!

Further, I believe that having timers counting down is more stressful for new players than losing buffs on death would be. When I was a new player I probably spent 2-3 hours in the Korthos wilderness wandering around. Of course I didn't have ship buffs at all, but the basic premise held true for all my first runs.

The first time I run something, I go slow, take my time, explore. When I was a new player I might stop in the middle of a quest and spend 20 minutes re-arranging my hotbars.

I submit that the system of persisting through death but having a timer is a bigger hardship for new players than losing buffs on death.

EDIT: And to clarify, when I say "new player" I'm not referring to people who have access to level 85 boats with full +2/+30 shrines. The first 2 weeks I played I wasn't even in a guild, then for the next 4 months I was helping a couple friends I made in-game start our own guild. We got up to around level 30. Our only buffs were the training dummy and house jorasco healing amp.

That's a new player in my mind. By the time I was invited to a larger guild it was because I'd learned how to play the game. Giving brand new players ship buffs AT ALL is a detriment to the new player experience, IMO. Having them persist through death makes it even worse.

Making something "easier" is not synonymous with making it "better." Giving brand new players ship buffs that (essentially) never ever go away in a quest makes for a worse gaming experience, not a better one.

Stop trying to make the game harder for new and casual players. .

what rock are you living under?
    This game has become an easy button.
    I say lose buffs on death. And keep the death penalty.
    I went server hopping yesterday to earn favor for TP's. NO GEAR, NO BUFFS, and played just fine!

The reliance on buffs is way overdone. EE content yuppers, but if you ask the average vet, buffs are a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast