Community Member

Default Crafting questions

What kind of a difference does it make if I use a Lesser or a Greater Essence?

And the same thing about shards - having a better shard results in getting a better item I presume - but how much better?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonOfGloom View Post
    What kind of a difference does it make if I use a Lesser or a Greater Essence?

And the same thing about shards - having a better shard results in getting a better item I presume - but how much better?
    Not entirely sure what u r asking. But I will make an attempt to answer. You generally need both greater and lesser to make an given shard. Shards of potential take only greaters. I'm not sure what you mean by a better shard tho. This depends on what you r trying to make. An acid burst shard is better than an acid shard because you get bonus damage on a crit. Givea more descriptive question and you will get a better answer.
    Chances are I posted this reply to your thread and won't be checking back. If you have a comment that you think I must see then a PM would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by bruener View Post
    Shards of potential take only greaters.
    This is not true. You can use any essence to craft potentials including that ones available to buy from the free agents vendor.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Community Member

Oh- I probably get it - the Lesser - Greater Essences should be considered simply as two different ingredients, not as a worse and better version of the same thing, right?

The same probably goes for shards (flawed, perfect, etc.)
    Last edited by DemonOfGloom; 05-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Community Member

Lesser/Greater Essences - Inherently different with regards to recipes.
    With regard to value; Greaters can be sundered into Lessers, but Lessers cannot be combined into Greaters, as well as the chance of getting Lessers is more than Greaters from deconstructing items, so Greaters have a higher value.

Flawed/Impure/Perfect/etc... Shards in regards to dragonshards follow the same logic, save for the feat exchange npc Fred requires a specific type for feat level(or character level, I forget which) and lesser quality shards do combine into a higher quality shard.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Seperate

Oh- I probably get it - the Lesser - Greater Essences should be considered simply as two different ingredients, not as a worse and better version of the same thing, right?

The same probably goes for shards (flawed, perfect, etc.)
    Here is a page for Arcane Essence that may or may not shed light, http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Essence. I always run out of the greaters when I'm crafting.

EDIT ~ You can trade essences at the vendor in the crafting hall when you are out of a particular essence. I sometimes buy items on the cheap at the AH when I'm short on an essence and I don't have the right essence to trade at the vendor in the hall. I will buy cheapo items and recycle them in the device for the essences I need to finish a recipe. This can be a cheaper method for getting a few essences, rather than buying the essences on the AH from the Ingrediants section of the AH.
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-09-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I will buy cheapo items and recycle them in the device for the essences I need to finish a recipe. This can be a cheaper method for getting a few essences, rather than buying the essences on the AH from the Ingrediants section of the AH.
    I don't think that it is a lot of cheaper than to buy raw essences in Ingrediants section. Most traders know prices, so to get tens of lesser essences requires about 10k plats it is similar price as price for any high level item for deconstruction. There are additional two obstacles. Dice roll and fact that you can extract only half of the value from the item (because it has prefix and suffix)

However i use this method as fallback, when there are no essencies in the AH of type I need.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Community Member

I have a couple of robes and cloaks with the +3 and +4 effect, however I am unable to distill them into an enhancement spirit - why could that be - I have no problems distilling +1 and +2 effects.

And another thing - for some reason the crafting device lists a Shock Shard as an ingredient to make a weapon with +1-+6 shocking damage, but refuses to make it - there is no such thing in the recipe list. Could it be that more recipes are added as the crafter's level increases?
    Last edited by DemonOfGloom; 05-10-2014 at 09:21 AM.

The shard creation machines normally only display the shards you have a chance at making. You can change them to display all shards by setting the levels in the upper right to 1 to 150.

The best current way to level up your crafting is to buy crude vials from the free agent vendor and make both bound and unbound shards of potential.

Community Member

Jingwei Thanks :-)

Is there a way to limit the number of recepees the crafting device shows, for example with shards only dedicated to damage dealing, or healing? I'm getting over 30 pages of recepees and the sheer number of them is sort of intimidating.

And is there a list of prefixes suffixes somewhere with explanations?
    Last edited by DemonOfGloom; 05-11-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Jingwei Thanks :-)

Is there a way to limit the number of recepees the crafting device shows, for example with shards only dedicated to damage dealing, or healing? I'm getting over 30 pages of recepees and the sheer number of them is sort of intimidating.

And is there a list of prefixes suffixes somewhere with explanations?
    The reason you're having trouble is largely due to turbine abandoning this highly anticipated and useful part of the game.

Suggest starting here:
    https://www.ddo.com/en/cannith-crafting-guide

And then here
    http://cannith.cubicleninja.com

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Other things worth mentioning, EllisDee37's highly useful threads on generalized recipes (with suggestions) and specifically weapons.

Does not help things that crafting doesn't have much at all to do with the things you can find on random loot nowadays.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Community Member

I am trying to create a bow with the Ghosttouch prefix and the Undead Bane suffix. I have created both shards, but when I add the bow, which is prepared for crafting, of course, and the shards to the Crafting machine, there is no recipe for the Ghosttouch item of Undead bane, it's either Ghosttouch item or item of Undead bane.

So should I combine the bow with each of the shards in succession to get what I want, or am I doing something wrong?

Community Member

I am trying to create a bow with the Ghosttouch prefix and the Undead Bane suffix. I have created both shards, but when I add the bow, which is prepared for crafting, of course, and the shards to the Crafting machine, there is no recipe for the Ghosttouch item of Undead bane, it's either Ghosttouch item or item of Undead bane.

So should I combine the bow with each of the shards in succession to get what I want, or am I doing something wrong?
    Add the shards in succession.

Geoff.

Community Member

GeoffWatson So, do You mean that I can create a Ghosttouch bow, use it for a while and after a couple of quests put it into the machine and add the Undead bane suffix, or I should leave the bow inside the machine to add all the shards? Sorry for being cheap - I just don't want to loose any ingredients while experimenting :-)

Community Member

GeoffWatson So, do You mean that I can create a Ghosttouch bow, use it for a while and after a couple of quests put it into the machine and add the Undead bane suffix, or I should leave the bow inside the machine to add all the shards? Sorry for being cheap - I just don't want to loose any ingredients while experimenting :-)
    You can do just that. One shard at a time, and it doesn't matter whether the next shard is bonded right away or next month.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Will I be able to increase the potential of the item afterwards, or I have to do it from the start?

Community Member

Will I be able to increase the potential of the item afterwards, or I have to do it from the start?
    Yes, it does seem you can increase the potential at any point.

Even after you've filled the prefix, suffix and + values already, I believe. Yes, this is completely useless as far as I know, as it still goes back to +5 if you disjunct it to make room for better prefixes or suffixes...
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.