Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Crystal Cove is opening too slowly! Please fix or add XP to smugglers rest!

Hey I'm a returning player and I see that my favorite Crystal Cove is back but right now hardly anyone is collecting map pieces and the Cove doesn't open as quickly as it did 2 years ago (I'm on Cannith server btw).

Would the developers please consider doing 2 things:

1) Reducing the total map pieces needed from 3000 to 1500 (or less)
    2) Adding a method of XP gain in smuggler's rest. Yes, I see they've added guild renown drops, but still there is not as much incentive to farm map pieces when you can't gain any experience points. Perhaps 100 experience can be added to the loot table or the chests loot tables? Please! I'm playing smugglers/crystal cove as level 6 and I'm tempted to leave cove and do regular questing since the cove is not opening as fast as it used to and there is no XP gain when just killing pirates in smugglers.

With virtually no new loot or upgrades, many are not running cove. That's why it's opening so slow.

So yes, they SHOULD lower the amount of map pieces you need, by about half.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

This shouldn't even be based on map turnins. You get reasonable open rates during prime time and abysmal open rates any other time. Just put a 1 hour timer (or 45 min or 30 min or whatever) and be done with it. Under the current formula, devs have to tinker with drop rates and turn in totals on lower population servers just to get to the uneven rate of returns described above. It still doesn't account for lower open rates during non prime time hours. We don't have 10's of thousands of players on at all times to make this sort of situation doable. Just put a hard timer on it so people can get in, get their loot and continue playing instead of stressing out over trying to get the timing right to get the one cove that might open while they're online for the evening.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Just confirming the OP, true, this is very slow this time around, opening the ship x 2,5 times daily leaves most (lucky) players with 1 shot at the shards.

Also, the last 4 run I had to solo, because noone was there 22+ to join the lfm.

~ I pulled approx 80GS per @CR23 solo run, just enough to eventually finish a fully upg-d. trinket.

Make raid party 1-28 to increase map pieces income.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng20/Epic10 -> Drd6),
    Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic10->Sorc(EK)17)

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    This shouldn't even be based on map turnins. You get reasonable open rates during prime time and abysmal open rates any other time. Just put a 1 hour timer (or 45 min or 30 min or whatever) and be done with it. Under the current formula, devs have to tinker with drop rates and turn in totals on lower population servers just to get to the uneven rate of returns described above. It still doesn't account for lower open rates during non prime time hours. We don't have 10's of thousands of players on at all times to make this sort of situation doable. Just put a hard timer on it so people can get in, get their loot and continue playing instead of stressing out over trying to get the timing right to get the one cove that might open while they're online for the evening.
    ^This.

The current system for these events discriminates against off peak time players.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    ^This.

The current system for these events discriminates against off peak time players.
    OK, if this were changed to a 45 min or 1 hour timer, then you probably won't have any players killing pirates in smugglers rest besides those that need to farm compasses. Also the map piece turn in would become obsolete. I dunno if they can make a change like this for this current Crystal Cove. But I'm pretty sure they can reduce the map collection to 1500 or less. Off-peak time it probably needs to be 1000 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSmith View Post
    OK, if this were changed to a 45 min or 1 hour timer, then you probably won't have any players killing pirates in smugglers rest besides those that need to farm compasses. Also the map piece turn in would become obsolete. I dunno if they can make a change like this for this current Crystal Cove. But I'm pretty sure they can reduce the map collection to 1500 or less. Off-peak time it probably needs to be 1000 or less.
    There are other potential reasons to run around killing pirates. If the loot from the named maps was interesting or exciting, that would be enough for me to do it. If doubloons were needed in larger quantities, I'd do it. If there were xp or renown involved I'd do it.

My point is, the only reason people kill pirates is to get maps to open an artificial barrier put in place to make your farm those maps in the first place. Very few people are there for "fun". Make the grind "fun" and you don't have to have artificial barriers in place to force people to play it.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

There are other potential reasons to run around killing pirates. If the loot from the named maps was interesting or exciting, that would be enough for me to do it. If doubloons were needed in larger quantities, I'd do it. If there were xp or renown involved I'd do it.

My point is, the only reason people kill pirates is to get maps to open an artificial barrier put in place to make your farm those maps in the first place. Very few people are there for "fun". Make the grind "fun" and you don't have to have artificial barriers in place to force people to play it.
    Actually they did add guild renown to killing pirates sometime ago (or was it this round)? But they also need to add some XP to it or else the event just won't be as fun or popular.

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

One option might be for the red named bosses to give a) XP, b) guild reknown, and/or c) special loot like a pile of 100 map pieces. Especially c) would help a LOT with opening the cave.

OT: it seems they changed the rules on grouping, can somebody spell them out for me? I'm currently level 24, what is the highest level toon I can group with without getting a shard penalty, and what is the highest level Cove DC I can take? It's kinda depressing having a good run and getting only 60 shards (everyone else got 300+ or so).

Greetz,
    Red Orm
    Will Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Khyber (mail Ninevrisei) if you provide the needed materials.

Community Member

Default On Orien it was opening pretty fast, or seemed to be anyway.

But I was just cycling through toons to get compasses for them, I didn't even really pay that much attention to it honestly.
    I did notice that there were very few LFM's up though.

This shouldn't even be based on map turnins. You get reasonable open rates during prime time and abysmal open rates any other time. Just put a 1 hour timer (or 45 min or 30 min or whatever) and be done with it. .
    +1. Put a timer, please. Map turnin is a very bad option.
    Last edited by Iriale; 05-09-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    +1. Put a timer, please. Map turns is a very bad option.
    compromise. put a decay on the map pieces required so if no pieces are turned in it will take 60 or 90 minutes for the map piece requirement to decay to 0 and open the instance. If pieces are turned in it speeds up the process.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

There's a lot of funny people here. Pretty much everything I'm reading amounts to:

"The turn-in rates need to be lowered... What? No, I'm not farming map pieces! No incentive to really, not enough Loot, not enough Renown, no XP. Now, back to complaining that the event opens too slowly..."

While I agree that lower turn-in rates would be a good thing, if everyone who wanted the event to open faster went out there and formed up in raid groups to farm the pieces, it would open faster - that simple.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 05-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

the only reason people kill pirates is to get maps to open an artificial barrier put in place to make your farm those maps in the first place.
    Well said.
    I still think they should make cove a permanent part of DDO and completely eliminate the whole map thing.
    Just let people play it when and how they desire, like the challenges.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    compromise. put a decay on the map pieces required so if no pieces are turned in it will take 60 or 90 minutes for the map piece requirement to decay to 0 and open the instance. If pieces are turned in it speeds up the process.
    This is good.
    Put in timer 1h, if people get pieces before that you can open it.

hey did turbine already make an adjustment to the total map pieces required? it seems like its down to 2000 pieces now after my last 2 cove playthroughs. If so, thanks Turbine!

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSmith View Post
    hey did turbine already make an adjustment to the total map pieces required? it seems like its down to 2000 pieces now after my last 2 cove playthroughs. If so, thanks Turbine!
    Yes, we lowered the map piece requirement earlier this afternoon, from 3,000 to 2,000 (and 1,500 on Wayfinder.)
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, we lowered the map piece requirement earlier this afternoon, from 3,000 to 2,000 (and 1,500 on Wayfinder.)
    Nice Thank you!
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 05-09-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

Thumbs up Lowered map turn in to speed up opening, nice

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Thank you for observing the trend (less people running means longer time to opening) and helping out a to speed it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast