Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default A 4200 Comms Path from 20 to 28

Hello all. Based on all of the comms discussion and my past experiences acquiring comms I decided to take the EH challenge to collect 4200 comms running a mix of EN/EH quests from 20 to 28.

*NOTE* This is *One* path to acquire 4200 comms running EN/EH. Obviously the path is not set and can be changed up more because I ended up with almost 4400 comms. I chose this path with some of the repeats because I was busy at work and for a week or so I had only an hour of play time during the week and little play time on weekends (that's where you see the Wheeloon runs together). Again this is one path out of many that can be taken. I mostly ignored the old old epic content because there are few if any gear upgrades and meager comms. I do like to run Eveningstar chains for the end chain rewards.

*NOTE* I always had a 20% exp elixir on, voice, and ship buff on for turn ins. Yes I understand you can state "Hey you got more comms only because you had the exp boosts on" but also realize those same boosts gave me same % more exp and leveled me that much faster so there is no difference. I also have a Greater Tome of Epic Learning. Be aware that one of the Tor runs I was talked into running EE yet I put down the comms reward of an EH run. That gave me more experience than I would have otherwise earned.

Quest or Quest Chain/Difficulty/Comms
    feast EN 18
    cabal EN 18
    trial EN 18
    maze EN 18
    discord EN 18
    cry EN 18
    PoP EN 18
    feast EH 33
    cabal EH 33
    trial EH 33
    maze EH 33
    discord EH 33
    cry EH 33
    PoP EH 33
    Impossible Demands EH 19
    High Roads of Shadow EH 160
    Druid's Deep EH 116
    feast EH 33
    cabal EH 33
    trial EH 33
    maze EH 33
    discord EH 33
    cry EH 33
    PoP EH 33
    Tor EE 33
    High Roads of Shadow EH 165
    feast EH 33
    cabal EH 33
    trial EH 33
    maze EH 33
    discord EH 33
    cry EH 33
    PoP EH 33
    Tor EH 33
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    The Tracker's Trap EH 45
    Line's of Supply EH 45
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Stormhorns Chain EH 225
    feast EH 33
    cabal EH 33
    trial EH 33
    maze EH 33
    discord EH 33
    cry EH 33
    Tor EH 33
    Druid's Deep EH 116
    Army of Shadow EH 210
    Study in Sable EH 42
    High Roads of Shadow EH 165
    feast EH 33
    cabal EH 33
    trial EH 33
    maze EH 33
    discord EH 33
    cry EH 33
    Tor EH 33
    Wheloon Chain EH 210
    Stormhorns Chain EH 225
    Fathom the Depths EH 20

Summary
    Quests ran from 20 to 28 = 122
    EN Quests ran = 7
    Total Comms = 4370

With this path some tradeoffs can be made to do quests with lower comms and higher exp/min to level faster and still get 4200 comms or you can select other rewards at times instead of comms.
    Last edited by Turbosilk; 05-05-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Completionist Sorceror XVIII
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

"*NOTE* I always had a 20% exp elixir on, voice, and ship buff on for turn ins. "

so 20 * 5(voice) * 5 (ship) = 32.3% total boost

yet i run Ehard and get 19 cov (where you get 33). 19*1.323=25.132

you have some other boost going , maybe a JoF? i dont think that should matter but maybe.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

once again, this is a specific path that ignores Eberron mainly, but a lot of other content as well. you specifically used a path to earn enough Comms to level 28 running a lot of the same content repeatedly. the point people are trying to make is that just playing the game running a variety of content, doing optionals in quests, doing slayer, running challenges, some like to run a full quest and not invis/zerg to the end, you out level quests and cap before earning even half of 4200.

you are right, this is just one path someone can take to get enough Comms, but you also didn't break down how many Comms earned by reaching level 28 or how long at cap until you had 4200 Comms. the way this system is set up, totally contradicts what the devs have stated (quests at level and 3x each on hard) and promotes a specific game plan to earn enough Comms focused more in expansions. either you can level running quests moving up the quest level range like you would in heroics and not earn half the Comms or come up with a strategy like this one and ignore most of the game trying to limit your xp.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    you are right, this is just one path someone can take to get enough Comms, but you also didn't break down how many Comms earned by reaching level 28 or how long at cap until you had 4200 Comms. the way this system is set up, totally contradicts what the devs have stated (quests at level and 3x each on hard) and promotes a specific game plan to earn enough Comms focused more in expansions. either you can level running quests moving up the quest level range like you would in heroics and not earn half the Comms or come up with a strategy like this one and ignore most of the game trying to limit your xp.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. That was the # of comms I earned by reaching level 28. There is zero time at cap.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    "*NOTE* I always had a 20% exp elixir on, voice, and ship buff on for turn ins. "

so 20 * 5(voice) * 5 (ship) = 32.3% total boost

yet i run Ehard and get 19 cov (where you get 33). 19*1.323=25.132

you have some other boost going , maybe a JoF? i dont think that should matter but maybe.
    Not sure what to say. 20% exp elixir, voice, and ship buff. About 1/4 of the time I had a small JoF on and 1/4 of the time a Huge on. My comms rewards per turn in did not change with or without a JoF.
    Last edited by Turbosilk; 05-05-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    the point people are trying to make is that just playing the game running a variety of content, doing optionals in quests, doing slayer, running challenges, some like to run a full quest and not invis/zerg to the end, you out level quests and cap before earning even half of 4200.
    There's a finite amount of XP to get from 20 to cap. There's a finite amount of comms (4200) that you need by cap to be "fair". As long as the comm reward is scaled to the XP reward, which I think was the intention of the devs, you can make sure you hit both marks around the same time.

Of course, not everyone plays the same, in terms of zergers vs flowersniffers...but I thought the devs did an analysis of how people "actually play", and used that as their baseline for scaling. You wont be able to please everyone, ever - but if they're designing the game based on how we're playing, and not based on how they THINK we should play, that's about all you can ask for.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turbosilk View Post
    With this path some tradeoffs can be made to do quests with lower comms and higher exp/min to level faster and still get 4200 comms or you can select other rewards at times instead of comms.
    Not to be to picky, but doesn't running stuff because one simply like running it count for anything? The whole argument of comms vs xp is basically about how to actually play the game as little as possible regardless how it comes out.

Community Member

Looking at the list, it would seem you did a few under level. Starting in GH (ML24) as a level 20?

Yes you have carved a path to get the comms needed, but we're not getting the full story.

Were the quests done in pug, guild, solo or static group?

How many past lives do you have on the toon you did it on?

What class/build were you at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    There's a finite amount of XP to get from 20 to cap. There's a finite amount of comms (4200) that you need by cap to be "fair". As long as the comm reward is scaled to the XP reward, which I think was the intention of the devs, you can make sure you hit both marks around the same time.

Of course, not everyone plays the same, in terms of zergers vs flowersniffers...but I thought the devs did an analysis of how people "actually play", and used that as their baseline for scaling. You wont be able to please everyone, ever - but if they're designing the game based on how we're playing, and not based on how they THINK we should play, that's about all you can ask for.
    You can be assured they did a research of how people actually play. Noticed a trend?
    + New packs give more CoVs. So people have to buy the expansions.
    + There are never enough CoVs except for running quests like in a hamster wheel (same quest series 5-6 tmes in direct succession as shown in OP). So either grind or famine.
    + Ofc you may always and immediately buy your heart in the shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Not to be to picky, but doesn't running stuff because one simply like running it count for anything? The whole argument of comms vs xp is basically about how to actually play the game as little as possible regardless how it comes out.
    I like most quests and am fond of the ones I ran.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

So you basically grinded out Wheloon and Gianthold. You didn't run much else.

Good to know...I'll try and stay away from other quests next life. I'm assuming you could have also done well CoV wise with Stormhorns.

Still, it stinks to have to ignore so much of the game to get to 4200.
    Last edited by axel15810; 05-05-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel
    Twitch page: www.twitch.tv/axel311
    Streaming DDO on Twitch, usually on Fridays @ 9PM Eastern

Community Member

I dont get it,

Do EXP boosts affect Comms?

Cry for help & Trial by fire I did last night on EH and got 24 Comms.

Quote Originally Posted by Relem View Post
    Looking at the list, it would seem you did a few under level. Starting in GH (ML24) as a level 20?

Yes you have carved a path to get the comms needed, but we're not getting the full story.

Were the quests done in pug, guild, solo or static group?

How many past lives do you have on the toon you did it on?

What class/build were you at the time?
    Most of the quests were done with pug groups because quests tend to be faster with a group and it is hard to make friends playing solo (and it is good for DDO to have more people play socially). Anyone joining the group was welcome regardless of what they actually contributed. I open a LFG and buff and head to the quest. The group usually fills before we're half through the first and everyone tends to stay until the runs are done. Sometimes guildies joined. My wife and friends played with me too. They all have 2nd life toons and gear appropriate for the amount of time they play.

It's easy to look at my signature block to see I am a completionist. I have level 28 gear but for simplicity I have a mixed level 20 set of gear and a level 25 set of gear for eTRs. I have random upgrades for some slots along the way.

I am a DC sorcerer running using the Unyielding Sentinel ED.
    Last edited by Turbosilk; 05-05-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    You can be assured they did a research of how people actually play. Noticed a trend?
    + There are never enough CoVs except for running quests like in a hamster wheel (same quest series 5-6 tmes in direct succession as shown in OP). So either grind or famine.
    Is there a reason to believe they would set up the system in a way that isn't advantageous to themselves, despite whatever they may say to it seem like they were focusing on something else when they set it up?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    I dont get it,

Do EXP boosts affect Comms?

Cry for help & Trial by fire I did last night on EH and got 24 Comms.
    Yes, they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    So you basically grinded out Wheloon and Gianthold. You didn't run much else.

Good to know...I'll try and stay away from other quests next life. I'm assuming you could have also done well CoV wise with Stormhorns.

Still, it stinks to have to ignore so much of the game to get to 4200.
    Re-read why I did so much Wheloon and GH. I won't have those time constraints next time and will work in more additional quests (even though I like Wheloon, those are some well put together quests). I had to ensure I hit 4200 this first time otherwise I'd have been flamed to oblivion. Since I end up with almost 4400 there is obviously more flexibility to be had.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Community Member

I like most quests and am fond of the ones I ran.
    Me too, which is why I really wouldn't like a system that basically cuts out about half the epic quests in order to run the others twice as often (though, I'll admit that anything that involves setting foot in Wheloon prison is automatically off my plate as it gives me a headache and my computer mini strokes and sometimes puts it in a full blown coma).

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    It looks like Comms are simply based on quest level.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Community Member

Re-read why I did so much Wheloon and GH. I won't have those time constraints next time and will work in more additional quests (even though I like Wheloon, those are some well put together quests). I had to ensure I hit 4200 this first time otherwise I'd have been flamed to oblivion. Since I end up with almost 4400 there is obviously more flexibility to be had.
    Flexibility would be running all the quests on EH at level from 20 to 28. As we were told we could do.

What you did is exactly what has been said over and over here - you ran specific dungeons repeatedly, designed to give maximised CoVs, with little thought to the XP you would get.

Anyone could design a leveling path like that.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but the best quest for XP are also the best quests for Comms. ~2 mins for 30-40 comms cannot be beat. The fact that you'll cap long before 4200 comms doesn't change the fact that the fastest path to eTR is to facegrind the same quests over and over daily.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast