Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your favorite computer RPG series of all time?

Ok, here's a fun question for D&D and RPG fans amung us. Feel free to elaborate here which RPGs you enjoyed playing back in the day.

Infocom Zork (The text based adventure that changed it all, and opened the door to the fantasy based RPG genre.)
    SSI Gold Box (Pool of Radiance, etc)
    Bard's Tale
    Might & Magic
    Eye of the Beholder
    Baldur's Gate
    Ultima
    Final Fantasy
    Diablo
    Wizardry
    Elder Scrolls
    Dungeon Master
    Neverwinter

Write In: ________________________
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 05-04-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Adding Infocom Zork, out of straight up RESPECT.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Ok, here's a fun question for D&D and RPG fans amung us. Feel free to elaborate here which RPGs you enjoyed playing back in the day.

Bard's Tale
    Might & Magic
    Eye of the Beholder
    Baldur's Gate
    Ultima
    Final Fantasy
    Diablo
    Wizardry
    Elder Scrolls
    Dungeon Master
    Neverwinter

this is so simple its ddo of course

to be honest the only game i revisit is the baldurs gate series
    it was and to my mind still is amazing.

your friend sil
    Last edited by silinteresting; 05-04-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: bad bad spelling

Eye of the beholder was my first and is my favourite. I still play it from time to time to see if I still have everything memorized

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Bard's Tale
    Might & Magic
    Eye of the Beholder
    Baldur's Gate
    Ultima
    Final Fantasy
    Diablo
    Wizardry
    Elder Scrolls
    Dungeon Master
    Neverwinter

From that list I played.

Might & Magic: (Played 4&5 bundled as World of Xeen) I think this may have been one of if not my first CRPG. I remember we got it to test out our new sound card and CD rom (Remember when those things did not come standard?). I also played 8 but never really got into it. I did enjoy 9 quite a bit. So far I am refusing to buy 10 because of the DRM

Baldur's Gate Series: Personally I liked the open world exploration of the first game the best. While the series was good my favorite Infinity Engine game is still Planescape: Torment

Elder Scrolls Series: Played all of them shortly after release so far. I bought Arena because of the box art . I liked Morrowind the best. While the graphics in the later games are nice I hate a lot of the interface decisions they made (apparently to make it easy for console ports)

Neverwinter: I know some people really like this I was never that impressed and never got very far in the second one.

Default Nwn

The NWN1 series was my favorite by far. Not only did I enjoy the single player games but the online player created servers kept me busy for a long time.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

stuff that has a special memory....

NES: Ultima

(multipule systems) Final Fantasy 4. (the rest never hit me the same reason. Maybe it was because it was the first that really hit me? I played US FFI also but it didn't hit me like 4 or Ultima did.)

Baldur's Gate
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

I was a graduate student and teaching assistant when I bought my first computer in 1991: the idea being that I would use it for writing and researching my dissertation and preparing handouts for my students. I bought my first computer game within a couple of weeks, I wish I remember what it was called but I don't and then I bought the original Eye of the Beholder and Gateway to the savage Frontier (one of the SSI Gold Box D&D adventures) and the rest is history. I've played a lot of games since--though to be fair I consciously miss out on more than I play--and with the exception of Zork, Wizardry, and the Bard's Tale I think I've played the rest on that list. So, yeah, I'm I not quite geriatric gaming geek. I think I enjoyed all the games on that list--the high points being Morrowind and Diablo 2. My question to the floor is how many of those games could you go back to now and enjoy the way you originally did?

For RPG series I would say a tie between Fallout (1&2) and Baldurs gate. For stand alone Arcanum of steam-work and magic all the way.
    Signed

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

The first RPG I ever played was Final Fantasy. The first one I ever completed was Dragon Warrior. Although they are obviously simplistic compared to their successors, they've definitely got the nostalgia factor. I went on to play Dragon Warrior II, III, and IV on the NES, with III being my favorite, and Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES (the US releases). FFII is probably one of my all time favorite games. Secret of Mana was also a lot of fun.

I like the differences between the Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy has very in depth character development which really draws you into the story, like reading a good book. Dragon Warrior, on the other hand, has a very developed world, where the player who likes to explore everything and talk to everyone is rewarded with these little easter eggs of humor, oddity, and social commentary.

On the PC I enjoyed Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet. Both had such a classic DnD feel.

The Bard's Tale was an instant classic the first time I played it. They pulled off the fantasy spoof theme flawlessly. And who doesn't want to play an RPG where the main character is the Dread Pirate Roberts?

By far though, the best game I've ever played is Planescape: Torment. I've never seen another game that incorporates such a degree and depth of psychology and philosophy in its story and characters like Torment does. I was very glad to hear the same team would be creating a sister game with a similar style. And when Torment: Tides of Numenera comes out, it will be the first time I'll take a break from DDO since I started playing it.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 05-04-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    By far though, the best game I've ever played is Planescape: Torment. I've never seen another game that incorporates such a degree and depth of psychology and philosophy in its story and characters like Torment does. I was very glad to hear the same team would be creating a sister game with a similar style. And when Torment: Tides of Numenera comes out, it will be the first time I'll take a break from DDO since I started playing it.
    Have you played the Mask of the Betrayer expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2?

It was made by a lot of the same people who worked on PST and the new Torment, and there are a lot of similarities in terms of character development, player choice, quality of dialog, tone, and overall feeling of "weirdness." Chris Avellone and George Ziets (who also, incidentally, worked on the DDO way back when it was starting up) both worked on NWN2:MOTB and the new upcoming Torment game, for example.

(I don't really recommend the base NWN2 game -- it's fine mechanically, but very bland. But the MOTB expansion is incredible; it's my 3rd favorite CRPG after Planescape: Torment and Fallout 1.)
    Last edited by Cardtrick; 05-04-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Dragonlance/Krynn
    Final Fantasy (especially the original on NES)
    Dragon Warrior
    Gauntlet
    Eye of the Beholder
    Baldur's Gate
    Myst/Riven

Community Member

Baldur's Gate 2.
    Didn't like BG1 that much because it was sooo slow uncovering each area and some other non-features that were later included in BG2.
    Favorite moment was in ToB. I had named my main (a monk) after Professor Baltazar, the eponymous lead of a weird Eastern European cartoon that had played in Sweden during my childhood. Then in ToB we meet a monk and he has the same silly name. Seriously what were the odds?

DDO is 2nd.

Community Member

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind filled an insane amount of my life. I played it on the XBox so didnt even have access to the thousands of mods.

Pool of Radiance (and the other ones) have a special place because they were the first I played.

Eye of the Beholder I remember loving.

Baldur's Gate was another I love. Dungeon Siege 1st time through was great, but given how linear it was did not do well on repeat.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    I have not. I read a bit about it and it sounds intriguing. I'm willing to check out any game if it's got a similar style and theme as PST. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Community Member

I have the fondest memories of two very early CFRPGs the first an ancient 8-bit title that started on the Atari 800 called Alternate Reality:The City and it's sequal The Dungeon. The games featured a first person perspective raycasting engine that was similar to what was seen in Wolfenstien 3D 7 years later. It had great music too.

I am also very fond of a 16-bit game from the Atari ST series called Dungeon Master from FTL software along with the sequal Chaos Strikes Back. Great game with fantastic music I went so far as to track down the produced CD for in later years.

Classics like Phantasy, Bards Tale series, Kings Quest all have their places too but those previous games really are the ones that made me enjoy the genre as a whole.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    I'll second this: it's by far the best of the official NWN 1/2 campaigns and one of the best CRPGs of the last decade, IMHO. Although it is technically a direct continuation of the original campaign (OC), it's set in a different part of the Realms with an all-new cast of companions; there are a few references to the OC, but you can start a new char just for MotU and still get like 99% of the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I'll second this: it's by far the best of the official NWN 1/2 campaigns and one of the best CRPGs of the last decade, IMHO. Although it is technically a direct continuation of the original campaign (OC), it's set in a different part of the Realms with an all-new cast of companions; there are a few references to the OC, but you can start a new char just for MotU and still get like 99% of the plot.
    In fact, if you want it to feel more like PS:T, it's almost better to start with a new character and no foreknowledge of NWN2's (incredibly generic) plot. The story honestly flows better if your character wakes up with little or no memory, and the sense of deep but gradually receding confusion will be pleasantly familiar for anyone who's played Torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Tunnels of Doom
    circa 1982
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnels_of_Doom

This ran on my 1st computer, 64k Ti994a from Texas Intruments

Edit: oh yes and dont forget Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    circa 1995 and still in development

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/screenshots
    Last edited by schelsullivan; 05-05-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Infocom Zork (The text based adventure that changed it all, and opened the door to the fantasy based RPG genre.)
    This may be pedantic, but I don't consider text adventures to be "true" RPGs; they're basically puzzle games with CLIs.

For a true text-based RPG, I have to go back to Bronze Dragon, a 1985 CRPG so obscure, it doesn't even have a Mobygames entry! I used to love it back in junior high: zero graphics, not even ASCII art; just text descriptions of rooms (which you used to make graph maps by hand), encounters, etc. It even had an onscreen RND for die rolls; you'd hit a button to make the roll stop, kinda like a slot machine. Dungeons were randomly generated too; BD and Tunnels of Doom were what defined dungeon crawls in my formative years.

</wax nostalgic>

Anyway, as for the poll question, I'd have to say the NWN franchise, based purely on the number of hours I spent playing it. I always hated AD&D game mechanics with a passion, so I never really got into the Gold Box or Infinity Engine games; NWN and 3E are what brought me back into the D&D fold. The quantity of user mods for NWN 1 was staggering; and fortunately, some of them were quite good to boot (much better than the NWN 1 OC, frankly).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast