Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Do we need faster travel?

I'm just wondering what the general opinion about this is....

Do you think the game would be *more fun* if there was more options for faster travel out of quests themselves?

Things like: faster runspeed in town (up to technical limits), more teleporters and connectivity with Airship travel, the ability to teleport to quests you've already discovered without having to go through Adventure Zones, something like Rods of Teleport available from an in-game vendor, etc.

I know the arguments against it - its unfair to classes that get teleport/fast movement, or to players that already acquired things like the Royal Guard Mask; it will reduce Store sales; it doesn't fit with lore, etc. Ignoring all that, though, would it make the game more *fun* if you could get right into the action faster? Would you make use of it, and enjoy it? Do you ever not do something in-game because you don't want to slog all the way out to it?

Add teleport to more locations. (Via the spell.)

Add new airship locations.

Have GT go anywhere regular teleport goes + the unique places it goes.

I think we can leave run speed alone.
    /sigh

Community Member

Fun? ... meh... would it help with convenience! immensely!

Id like more locations added to teleport spells. And would like to see more options for non casters to be able to teleport.
    I do like the idea of being able to teleport to certain quests. Some are a pain in the backside to get to. I think if there were other options for getting to them, people may be more likely to run them.

But yeah, more of the blue teleporters, and more airship portals would be great!

Community Member

The Phiarlan Pendant of Time gives +50% movement in town.

I agree with more Teleport options.

Geoff.

Community Member

I would love a quest line which ends up giving those capable of teleporting the ability to teleport to additional locations. Like a Favor perk.

Eveningstar as a teleport location sounds fitting as a perk. Also add the title "Planescaller".

Give them double the number of locations in normal teleport and even more in greater teleport.

---

Another amazing perk for those capable would be a 2-way Ddoor. But i'm guessing that won't happen.

It would be nice. The run from the airship to thunderholme just takes so friggin long.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I know the arguments against it - its unfair to classes that get teleport/fast movement,?
    They get the benefit of fast movement in the quests and in the explorer zones, and teleport users get the benefit of teleporting out a quest quickly, especially in a quest in an explorer zone don't have to double recall.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    It would be nice. The run from the airship to thunderholme just takes so friggin long.
    I've just been trying out most of the FR adventure zones, that's what prompted this thought. That, and having to run out to all the Vale quests grinding up to 20 on this most recent life. That's really my main problem...I can get where you need to run all the way out the first time, but I ran RwtD about 3x as much as anything else, and skipped Rainbow entirely, because of the travel time involved. And same deal, earlier on in Sands...I'd just run the ones up in the "mummy zone" because they were closest.

And when I saw how far you need to run to get through Stormhorns....man, that's rough.

If most people's experience is like mine, I think its driving people to log off earlier rather than run 1-2 more quests, once you've exhausted the "low hanging fruit" on your daily quest checklist. And its always good for the game if you can encourage people to stay online longer

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

change all city instances to one room. one vendor of every kind with full stock of all vendor items for all level ranges. one door with a list of every quest. click your quest, click your difficulty, go kill things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Fighter is fine, though I agree it is behind Paladin. Their greatest weakness is actually saving throws.
    statements like this are why i have no confidence in the dev team.

Quote Originally Posted by the_one_dwarfforged View Post
    change all city instances to one room. one vendor of every kind with full stock of all vendor items for all level ranges. one door with a list of every quest. click your quest, click your difficulty, go kill things.
    Gross

The bridge definately has to get longer. Much longer. I so enjoy timesink like this...
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Within reasons (and not just for the sake of "haha, enjoy running") I like the fact things aren't instant... In single player games.
    If a game lacks fast travel and is single player, that's a plus (at least in open world games), because of immersion and such. (Although fast travel is more popular, so I just try not to use it.)

For a MMO, hardly. There's no real immersion in most MMO's, and definitely not DDO. Just give a convenience with out-of-quest teleportation, though still have some running. Instantly spawning at the quest start would be even more boring, I couldn't rage at people taking forever to get from the ship to the quest!

Edit: Tl;dr (really?) for single player slower travel = good, for MMO fast travel = good, for DDO we need moar teleports.

The run from the airship to thunderholme just takes so friggin long.
    Just timed it. Less than 2.5 minutes.

Some classes can certainly do it faster. Not to mention the gold key clickie.

Community Member

In town, I think that a shorter loading screen would probably make more of a difference than a small speed upgrade.

Of course, in Wilderness areas, particularly when you're trying to get back to the quest that you just released from before it resets, you would be tempted by faster options. Its probably why there are "guides" in some of them now, charging Astral Shards for fast travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    In town, I think that a shorter loading screen would probably make more of a difference than a small speed upgrade.

Of course, in Wilderness areas, particularly when you're trying to get back to the quest that you just released from before it resets, you would be tempted by faster options. Its probably why there are "guides" in some of them now, charging Astral Shards for fast travel.
    Eveningstar could use some help since it is getting so big. Otherwise I think the Phiarlan Pendant of Time, key to the city, teleporters, and guild airship transport pretty much has it covered.

I don't mind the running at all, it's the multiple loading screens that kill me.
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Mounts!

Community Member

Yes, I think it would improve the fun factor, simply because so much running to and from quests does get tedious after awhile.

So yes, more teleporters -- a proper teleporter in the market entry area would do wonders!

And yes, more air ship entrances -- especially in places that really should already have one like House Cannith.

Run speed itself is fine though.

More locations for the Teleport spell would be cool too.

Rods of Teleport and Bracelets of Friends -- I think they should consider a compromise -- sell them in the store but give them a few charges that recharge each day.

The option to teleport to any quest you've already discovered would be pretty great too but might decrease the immersion feeling of being in a big city. Perhaps an improved air ship navigator could do this?

Put in a guide in every explorer area. For 10 plats you can have them instantly teleport you to the quest. When you exit that quest, there is another guide at the exit who, for 10 pp, will instantly teleport you to the next quest in the explorer zone.

Any who wants to do slayers/rare/explorers can do so. Anyone who just wants to run the quest and skip the (largely) pointless explorer time sink can do so.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

House Cannith certainly should have a guild portal. I think it was a failure of the dev team to not have both a teleporter and guild ship portal in any new Eberron house. I'd also like to see either a guild ship portal or two way rift to FR somewhere more convenient than the Estar cavern and the Harbor. It's almost like the devs were trying to waste as much of our time as possible when they set up Forgotten Realms.

The gold key could be a decent thing if it teleported you from anywhere in Eberron to Estar and from anywhere in FR to the Marketplace. The cooldown would also need to be reduced something like 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast