Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Shared bank issue...

I was under the impression that the shared bank allowed you to transfer items across servers, thus having "bound to account" make sense (if this isnt the case, wouldnt "bound to server" make more sense? Rather misleading).

Anyway, I placed items in the shared bank area and its not showing up in other servers.

I'm going to be very upset if I paid $20 for the points to get the shared bank while under the false pretense that it allowed me to share items across the account.

Quote Originally Posted by UinseanRianAchta View Post
    I was under the impression that the shared bank allowed you to transfer items across servers, thus having "bound to account" make sense (if this isnt the case, wouldnt "bound to server" make more sense? Rather misleading).

Anyway, I placed items in the shared bank area and its not showing up in other servers.

I'm going to be very upset if I paid $20 for the points to get the shared bank while under the false pretense that it allowed me to share items across the account.
    not realy sure were ur going with this but guessing you are rather new to the game?? but BTA has alwasy ment on that server so im guessing to asnwer your question yes i guess u did just waste the 20$. but hey the games been aorund for 8 years now so im sure your not the first one to make this mistake
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

Shared bank only allows you to transfer items between characters on a specific server. It has always been that way...at least as long as I've been playing.

No way to transfer between severs.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Community Member

You cannot trade or share items across servers. The servers (aka "worlds") are self-contained and unaware of each other. This is why you can make a character with the same name on each server. If they were aware of each other, you would be able to share/trade the way you want, but naming would become an even greater nightmare than it currently can be.

While there may be a few games out there where such sharing/trading is possible, it has never been possible in any MMO game I have ever played. Also, Reading Is Fundamental and had you read the description, you would have understood it only allowed sharing BTA items between characters on the same server since the description explicitly states such.

Community Member

I checked this specific thing on the wiki and it mentioned nothing about it being restricted to servers.

I checked this specific thing on the wiki and it mentioned nothing about it being restricted to servers.
    From the wiki, http://ddowiki.com/page/Bind#Bound_to_Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DDO Wiki
    Bound to Account (BTA)

Items that are bound to a account can only be traded to a character on the same account and server, using the Shared Bank. Bound to Account items cannot be mailed, not even to characters on the same account base on the same server. Cannot be auctioned.

Introduced with Module 9.
    Free to Play and Premium players must purchase Account Bank access to transfer these type of items.
    Like Bound to Character items, BTA items will not take permanent durability damage.

Literally everything is restricted within servers. You can't send mail to characters on other servers, for example. You can't group with them. Guilds don't exist cross-server, and you can't earn renown on one server to apply to another.

Each server is a whole different copy of the game, which is why you can have situations like we did last night, where Cannith was running a different version of the code than the other servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Been around here since Oct 2009 and you only figure it out now?

Community Member

Did you miss the part where I said I just bought the item?

Yeah I've been playing since '09 but if I don't buy the item until five years later, dont you think it makes sense that I'd be having this issue NOW?

Maybe if you contact turbine customer service they will refund you and remove the shared bank from your account. Just a thought.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
    He said he checked the wiki so no need to quote the wiki!

Oh wait!

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    Maybe if you contact turbine customer service they will refund you and remove the shared bank from your account. Just a thought.
    They might.

Then again, Turbine can't be having people pickup the shared bank, move all the items they've been hoping to move, and then demand a refund.

Honestly, if you play more than one character, not having a shared bank is a pita. You're likely to get a lot of use out of it, not the least of which is having some additional storage.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Did you miss the part where I said I just bought the item?

Yeah I've been playing since '09 but if I don't buy the item until five years later, dont you think it makes sense that I'd be having this issue NOW?
    Right now it seems like wasted space, but it won't be sooner than you'd think.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

First of all, I can put whatever sort of stuff I want on the DDO Wiki. I could write on there that Shared Banks will give you free unicorns, make your hair grow back, AND make you immortal. Caveat Emptor.

Second of all, did you read the description on SHARED BANK on the DDO Store?

"The Shared Bank (free for VIPs) allows you to use the Bank to share items among the characters in your account on the same server. (20 Slots)"

There is absolutely ZERO false pretense on behalf of Turbine on this issue.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Default possible workaround

as a workaround, you can pass items between servers with a character transfer. I've never done this, but... maybe take a bank character, load him up, then ship him over.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

gotta say i dont think ive ever played a game or known about a situation where bta meant you could move items cross server. at least not bta in the general mmo sense. so what would make you think that bta would allow cross server banking?

and on the other hand, bound to server...never heard that one before...might be a reason for it. i feel like you must be new to mmos not expect bound to server and not understand bta. been playing 5 years...carnifex anyone? i mean surely youve acquired bta items...and surely youve never seen a bound to server item...

seems like a little common sense might have helped you out here, or apparently reading the whole description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Fighter is fine, though I agree it is behind Paladin. Their greatest weakness is actually saving throws.
    statements like this are why i have no confidence in the dev team.

Community Member

Well I read the same thing on a bathroom wall once. Didn't mean Turbine had to make it so.

The Wiki is a fan site that Turbine has nothing to do with and thus no more responsibility to comply with whatever someone might post on it than they do that bathroom wall.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

I'm with the OP here calling items BTA is misleading I'd say either change it to BTS (bound to server) or allow the shared bank to work cross-server (the latter is obviously preferred)

Also yes I know this info is avail on the Wiki which is a GREAT resource but that doesn't make it not misleading.

As for the people saying the servers are "un-aware" of each other that can't be true for two reasons:

1. Character transfers: Clearly transferring something from one server to another is quite possible

2. In alot of other MMOs New & Old the devs have implemented a cross-server mailing system (this includes attaching items) you can even send yourself items to a character of the same name...the database just identifies them by server name

ie.
    Sarlona_Wakut
    Thelanis_Wakut
    Orien_Wakut

The Server_ is client only so players would never see this and when mailing something you would type out the name than select the server you want to send to from a drop-down box (default is always current server)

I don't know how well this would function with DDOs systems but reason # 1 (see above) leads me to beleieve its possible and by utilizing the shared bank this would be another thing that DDO does better than EVERY other MMO. (that I know of)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 04-30-2014 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    I'm with the OP here calling items BTA is misleading I'd say either change it to BTS (bound to server) or allow the shared bank to work cross-server (the latter is obviously preferred)

Also yes I know this info is avail on the Wiki which is a GREAT resource but that doesn't make it not misleading.

As for the people saying the servers are "un-aware" of each other that can't be true for two reasons:

1. Character transfers: Clearly transferring something from one server to another is quite possible

2. In alot of other MMOs New & Old the devs have implemented a cross-server mailing system (this includes attaching items) you can even send yourself items to a character of the same name...the database just identifies them by server name

ie.
    Sarlona_Wakut
    Thelanis_Wakut
    Orien_Wakut

The Server_ is client only so players would never see this and when mailing something you would type out the name than select the server you want to send to from a drop-down box (default is always current server)

I don't know how well this would function with DDOs systems but reason # 1 (see above) leads me to beleieve its possible and by utilizing the shared bank this would be another thing that DDO does better than EVERY other MMO. (that I know of)
    LOL. Yes, the servers are "unaware" of each other. Simply because you can transfer a character between servers does not make them aware of each other. It just means that an employee copied your character from Sarlona to Khyber and then deleted it from Sarlona. If they were aware of each other in that communication could take place between them, then we would already be able to send mail between servers.

As you point out, other companies have enabled their games' servers to allow communication between them. Certainly, this is possible, but the fact that Turbine's DDO servers do not allow cross-server communication actually explicitly demonstrates that this game's servers are not set up to be aware of each other.

As far as the wiki being misleading or not, who cares what the wiki has to say on this? As I pointed out in my first post, the DDO STORE explicitly states the shared bank allows you to share bound-to-account items between characters on the same server. So, there is not and has never been any misinformation provided by Turbine about this particular feature. All we have here from the OP is a failure by the OP to read the description provided by the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamode_Corebasher View Post
    as a workaround, you can pass items between servers with a character transfer. I've never done this, but... maybe take a bank character, load him up, then ship him over.
    True enough, and I've done it, but I've wanted to switch the server for that character in the first place.

That being said, I believe that there is a limitation that a character can only be moved once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast