Community Member

Default The Favored Monkcher - FVS / Monkcher hybrid

When I first started playing Divine classes, I always wondered if it was possible to build an effective AA build that had some group healing capability.

Anyway, I am sure this build has been done before, but I've been playing this a bit and it's a lot of fun

36 pt. - Elf -

12 fvs / 6 monk / 2 fi

I chose FVS over cleric because: a) more SP and b) better saves progression. 2 fi for extra feats, 6 mo for extra feats + evasion + stances + 10k stars.

HIGHLIGHTS
    • Access to Warpriest, AA trees
    • Elven racial - Dex to Damage
    • Access to lvl 6 divine spells
    • Gives you access to AA capstone (if you want it)
    • Burst DPS + effective healing support in an otherwise self-sufficient group
    • Extended - self healing / tanking potential
    • It vexes your guildies to call it a "Favored Monkcher"

WHAT'S MISSING
    • Overwhelming Crit that is a must-have for some
    • Improved evasion
    • otherwise unsure, because I have yet to look at a full breakdown of a "traditional" monkcher

STATS @ lvl 1

• STR 12 +4 tome
    • DEX 17 +4 tome
    • CON 14 +4 tome
    • INT 8 +3 tome (all I had on this toon, +4 for extra skill points would be nice)
    • WIST 16 +4 tome
    • CHA 12 +4 tome

+4 Wisdom, +3 Dex (stat level ups)

Monk feats:
    1 - zen archery
    2 - dodge
    3 - 10k stars

Fighter feats:
    1 - imp. crit ranged
    2 - imp. precise shot

1-18 feats:
    point blank shot, rapid shot, precise shot, extend, manyshot, master of forms, grandmaster of forms, combat archery, quicken, (lvl. 26 undecided), blinding speed, doubleshot (or elusive target)

Leveling progression:

1 - FVS
    2 - FVS
    3-8 - Monk
    9 -11 - FVS
    12 - FIG
    13, 14 - FVS
    15 - FIG
    16-20 - FVS

Would love input on this.
    Last edited by RoguemcStabby; 04-29-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Community Member

Just in case there's more to add, maybe gear setups, etc.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

You don't list your starting WIS, but I presume it's 16.

You went for DEX-to-dmg, but IMHO on any build with easy access to Div Might, it'd be better to take a rgr splash instead of ftr to get Bow STR & Rapid Shot free. That or pally splash for Div Grace, ofc.

I would also take Precision instead of Dodge as one of your monk feats.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

You went for DEX-to-dmg, but IMHO on any build with easy access to Div Might, it'd be better to take a rgr splash instead of ftr to get Bow STR & Rapid Shot free. That or pally splash for Div Grace, ofc.

I think the reasoning behind not taking ranger (because I did consider divine might) was a) BAB progression for imp precise shot/imp crit ranged and that trying to boost str, dex, cha, wis, con was spreading the points too thin.. dex already needed to be 21 for combat archery.

Elves get +2 dex, and already have to hit / damage bonuses with longbows so it made sense to pour the points into the elven tree for dex to damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RoguemcStabby View Post
    Elves get +2 dex, and already have to hit / damage bonuses with longbows so it made sense to pour the points into the elven tree for dex to damage.
    You should be able to hit CHA 30+: e.g., base 12 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 Insight + 2 Yugo pot + 2 ship buff. That's at least +10 STR from Div Might, which more than makes up the difference in base DEX from elf bonus. Add in +2 from Rage pot (or +5 from Primal Scream) puts you even further ahead. You can also save 5 APs from not adding Grace.

Though if I went elf, I'd probably take the Shadow DM, just because I like the idea of having Displacement + Shadow Form without having to rely on GS clickies or UMDing scrolls.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

You should be able to hit CHA 30+: e.g., base 12 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 Insight + 2 Yugo pot + 2 ship buff. That's at least +10 STR from Div Might, which more than makes up the difference in base DEX from elf bonus. Add in +2 from Rage pot (or +5 from Primal Scream) puts you even further ahead. You can also save 5 APs from not adding Grace.

Though if I went elf, I'd probably take the Shadow DM, just because I like the idea of having Displacement + Shadow Form without having to rely on GS clickies or UMDing scrolls.
    Right, but splashing two levels of ranger makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get feats that require a higher base attack bonus (ie, manyshot, imp. crit range, imp. precise shot) AND get MOF/GMOF (which you can only take at lvl 12 and 18).

True, you could add bow strength to the build, but the feat pre-requisites could cause the same issues mentioned above.

I would def. have to think about it some more and see how it would be possible to make it work (ie 2 rang vs. 2 fig), however that's the conclusion I came to.

I think my dex is 17 +4 tome +3 stat lvl up + 1 enhancement + 16 item (+4 ins, +11 enh, +1 excep) so 41 w/o ship buffs - +2 / +2 yugo ... so 45 dex (i can probably even it out at 44).. plus the yugo Dex pots are more forgiving than the yugo STR pots.

AND get MOF/GMOF (which you can only take at lvl 12 and 18).
    That's incorrect. You can take them at any level after 12/18 respectively.

Also I don't see why you take extend.
    Main: Zodaroth - heroic & epic completionist pure dwarven warlock
    Alts: Zodynkar (caster), Zodirkeal (archer), Zodinn (lab rat)
    ---- Death N Taxes -------------------------------------------------------Argo -----

rangers get the full BAB

Are you going silver flame to buff your bow damage?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoda View Post
    That's incorrect. You can take them at any level after 12/18 respectively.
    you are correct. I wanted MOF/GMOF earlier because my only other options would be at 21,24,27.
    21 = combat archery, which is a must.
    27 = blinding speed, which is also must, imo.

24 allows for some flexibility which is why I took quicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoda View Post
    Also I don't see why you take extend.
    early levels for divine power / divine favor, will probably swap out for emp. heal. I would rather cast an extended buff with fewer caster levels than have to renew them every 10-15 min. Especially in a raid.
    Last edited by RoguemcStabby; 04-29-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    rangers get the full BAB

Are you going silver flame to buff your bow damage?
    yes, Silver flame all the way.

and maybe I didn't clarify the BAB progression issue.

if I start with lvl 2 ranger, then it's impossible (at the very least difficult) to take manyshot + imp. crit rang + imp precise shot AND have MOF / GMOF by lvl 20.

Because, monks and fvs have a .75 BAB progression (at least for feat prerequisites).
    Last edited by RoguemcStabby; 04-29-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Right, but splashing two levels of ranger makes it difficult (if not impossible) to get feats that require a higher base attack bonus (ie, manyshot, imp. crit range, imp. precise shot) AND get MOF/GMOF (which you can only take at lvl 12 and 18).
    For rgr 2 / monk 6 / FvS 12: PBS (1), metamagic (3), Prec Shot (6), Manyshot (9), IC:Ranged (12), IPS (15), Master of Forms (18), CA (21). Monk feats go towards Zen Archery, Precision, and 10K Stars. If this is intended as an Earth stance build, you don't really need GM of Forms. So the main drawback is not getting Master of Forms at lvl 12, but the upside should be better DPS from Bow STR + Div Might in epics.

Yep thats what i would do.

OP: consider going for 12 Con, 14 str and Charisma. And go Str based with 2 ranger levels. But still getting high dex for reflex saves.
    Then move some AP's to the Elven dragonmark, which is awesome, specially since you are going to take extend anyways.

Also: what destiny? fury/shiradi i guess? i can see some shiradi fun in there with the archon!
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by serthcore View Post
    Yep thats what i would do.

OP: consider going for 12 Con, 14 str and Charisma. And go Str based with 2 ranger levels. But still getting high dex for reflex saves.
    Then move some AP's to the Elven dragonmark, which is awesome, specially since you are going to take extend anyways.

Also: what destiny? fury/shiradi i guess? i can see some shiradi fun in there with the archon!
    I was definitely looking for some people to challenge this and show me other options, so thanks.

Fury/Shiradi are the main EDs.

Next TR I would consider going str / cha based.. and I have considered the dragonmark..

I also considered taking maximize as a meta and trying out the light damage SLA's in EA, but something tells me that's not going to work out.. esp. cause fury is way better for DPS.

Community Member

If this is intended as an Earth stance build, you don't really need GM of Forms. So the main drawback is not getting Master of Forms at lvl 12, but the upside should be better DPS from Bow STR + Div Might in epics.
    This is one thing I have not been able to figure out because I was told GMOF isn't absolutely necessary.

An earth stance build, I assume, takes into account the extra crit multiplier on a 19-20 which you get with MoF?

Water stance is the one I have been using the most, as the +4 wis, +1 ki regen, +5 saves and extra dodge is attractive to me. It keeps me at 42 wis w/o ship buffs.

Community Member

Default Clonkcher

Did 2 lives of human 11cleric/6monk/3ranger already. I think it's more effective. You get all archery feats, heal and blade barrier, and you don't loose a ton of ap to eleven Aa. I ran it in fury and crusader, got 3 or 4 etr's out of each life before getting sick of it. It was very cool to circle kite mobs around the rim of the blade barrier while shooting them.

starting stats: 14 16 14 8 16 8

Levels and Feats were:

1-ranger precise shot, pbs
    2-ranger
    3-cleric quicken
    4-monk zen archery
    5-monk precision
    6-cleric maximise
    7-cleric
    8-cleric
    9-cleric manyshot
    10-cleric
    11-cleric
    12-cleric emp heal(took completionist second time around)
    13-cleric
    14-cleric
    15-cleric imp precise shot
    16-monk
    17-monk
    18-monk-imp crit ranged
    19-monk-10k stars
    20-ranger
    21-epic master of forms
    22-epic
    23-epic
    24-epic great wis(evened me out)
    25-epic
    26-epic pos spell power
    27-epic prr
    28-epic forced escape

i have combat archery somewhere pm me and i will look it up

1st time: Fury of the wild 5
    twists: whistler, pin, enlightenment, dance of flowers (was epic completionist, pick your fav 3 if not)
    2nd time: Fury of the wild 5
    twists: e-burst(fire), pin, enlightenment, dance
    OR
    Divine Crusader 5
    twists: e-burst fire, pin, enlightenment, dance
    Last edited by macadope; 04-30-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added build