Default Spell Targeting Help

I was hoping that someone might help me with a spell targeting problem that I noticed recently. I am not sure if this is because of something (undocumented change) that was introduced with a recent update, or if targeting always worked this way and I just did not notice before...but anyways:

When in an area with a lot of tall grass/bushes (prime example is Fire on Thunder Peak), I am having problems targeting specific mobs for my spells. It seems that if there is a single blade of grass in my line of sight between me and the mob then I cannot hard target or soft target. If I click on the mob the game seems to assume that I am trying to click on the blade of grass (which is odd since the grass is not selectable and appears to have no function in the game other than to obscure my view). I can still select mobs by TABing, but in a target rich environment like FoTP, it is not easy/fast to select a specific mob this way. It is very frustrating to see a huge group of skeletons running across the map and be unable to select any of them to cast at.

I could understand if objects with substance (like a rock, a breakable, or another mob) was disrupting my line of sight, but the grass and bushes that I am talking about have no substance in the game.

So, is this the way it is supposed to be working? Or have I messed up some ui settings? Or am I just being an idiot and "doing targeting wrong" somehow?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Community Member

Not an exact fix but... you can turn 'Frill Distance' in the Advanced Graphics panel to Disabled, or just really low. That will get rid of much of the shrubs and grass. Or - and this is what I do - get really friendly with the 'Select Next Combat Target' and 'Select Nearest Combat Target' key bindings under the Key Mapping tab. I have my tab key set to Select Nearest, and the '.' / 'Del' key on the keypad as Select Next. Makes thing so much easier than trying to click mobs...
    There are only two types of people that I hate. (1), necrotic wizards, and (2), everyone else.

Thanks! (I was beginning to think that I would never see a response to this question.) I'll try the draw distance thing.

I know what you mean with the key bindings. I just get really frustrated cycling through the available targets sometimes. Especially when I need to land a Circle of Death, or Undeath to Death on one particular mob to maximize coverage - and have a short amount of time to do it before someone aggro's the group and disperses them.