Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    This, If you don't like it turn it off
    I do wish there was a way just to turn off the hideous image signatures without eliminating the text ones. Some of the text ones have useful links, like EllisDee's various threads for new players. But you're right, it's not the end of the world to just lose all the signatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We've been hearing from some folks who have long wanted to be able to have images in their signatures, and have decided to give it a try.

We're going to do a trial run of allowing images in signatures. Once we allow this to take place for a while, we'll evaluate whether to allow this on a more long-term basis.

The Rules:

We have enabled the ability for you to link to images for your signature. Please keep the following in mind:
    • Images should be no larger than 150 pixels high, and no wider than 400 pixels wide.
    • ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMATED IMAGES OR VIDEO OF ANY KIND ARE PERMITTED.
    • You may link to one image in your signature.
    • Images should be as small as possible (File size).
    • Must comply with the Community Guidelines.

If you do not enjoy looking at forum signature images, there is an option under Settings > General Settings to turn off Signatures. This will allow you to not see others' signatures.

Improper signatures can be reported, and the moderation team can take action against those who violate these rules, including disabling the ability for you alone to upload a signature image.
    What happened to making sigs smaller? Instead they are bigger and more distracting! And apparently you can't govern how large the image is - you have to rely on reporting? <shakes head>

I don't want to turn signatures entirely off - I enjoy a lot of sigs. I just want them to be a reasonable size so the forums don't consist of more sig than content.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    What happened to making sigs smaller? Instead they are bigger and more distracting! And apparently you can't govern how large the image is - you have to rely on reporting? <shakes head>

I don't want to turn signatures entirely off - I enjoy a lot of sigs. I just want them to be a reasonable size so the forums don't consist of more sig than content.
    Report posts where the signature image is too big.

If it is really too big Cordovan can turn off image signatures for that user only.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Might I suggest signatures be disabled by default if you are not logged in?

I typically browse the forums anonymously as I don't feel like logging in unless I have something to say. I can honestly say the image signatures looked fine when they were standardized ones from myddo but the free for all here ... it's hideous.

I will turn it off and I mean right now for when I am logged in but if I have to wade through the sea of disjointed images to try and figure out what the hell is being said I just won't bother.

And also about limiting the maximum size of signatures I could not agree more. Chai has a perfect example of a signature that simply takes up too much space. It often overshadows whatever is being said as it's 2 lines of reply with upteen bajillion lines of quotes.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Here's a handy resource for everyone that needs to deal with stupid signature gifs.
    https://adblockplus.org/
    I'm sure that there are good .gif files that are good for signatures, but not most of them.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    I do wish there was a way just to turn off the hideous image signatures without eliminating the text ones. Some of the text ones have useful links, like EllisDee's various threads for new players. But you're right, it's not the end of the world to just lose all the signatures.
    I'm finding it harder to identify who's who now, but I don't think turbine will be able to implement separate filters for text and graphic sigs

That would be my ideal solution though.

www.adblockplus.org

You can eliminate individual pictures and you can even leave the ones you happen to like.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

This is just plain bad. Why would you choose to clutter up an otherwise acceptable forum with people's garbage vanity plates? Just looking at the images that have shown up in the couple days since this addition should be proof enough that this was the stupidest idea the web team has had yet.

Please implement a way to banish signature images to the hell from which they spawned or just remove them immediately.

[By Flavilandile:

If it is really too big Cordovan can turn off image signatures for that user only.]

By my definition, a signature image is too big if it exceeds 0x0 pixels and 0 bytes. Signatures are no place for images. Period.
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 04-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    www.adblockplus.org

You can eliminate individual pictures and you can even leave the ones you happen to like.
    I do have Adblockplus, and i use it all the time. But I don't see how it's relevant -- wouldn't I still have to individually turn off every image I don't want to see, and then do it again if that person changes their signature?

I think I might have better luck using Stylish with a custom style sheet. Or maybe some kind of Greasemonkey script that removes any signature blocks containing an image?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post

If it is really too big Cordovan can turn off image signatures for that user only.

What about when the user has a dozen quotes that take up more space than their actual posts? It's getting beyond ridiculous. Those should not be allowed since it's just another form of trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    What about when the user has a dozen quotes that take up more space than their actual posts? It's getting beyond ridiculous. Those should not be allowed since it's just another form of trolling.
    Some people on this forum have really odd ideas of what trolling is.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

I do have Adblockplus, and i use it all the time. But I don't see how it's relevant -- wouldn't I still have to individually turn off every image I don't want to see, and then do it again if that person changes their signature?

I think I might have better luck using Stylish with a custom style sheet. Or maybe some kind of Greasemonkey script that removes any signature blocks containing an image?
    Yes, you can individually turn off images. That's how it's relevant. Right click on one thing one time and it goes away. Yes, it involves a little work. That's okay sometimes.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I've personally put those folks on ignore. Of course that means I get a HUGE WHITE BOX telling me that they are on my list anytime a post of theirs shows up. Which is annoying, but in a slightly different way.

Community Member

Mucho love for this. Wanted image ability in my sig for a while so I could reuse my dynamic signatures I've used on other boards (as you can see below).

If anyone is interested, and have access to a site with php ability, this is what I'm using currently to do so:

Code:
    <?php
    $x = 8;
    $y = 16;
    $tx = 47;
    $ty = 7;

Header("Content-Type: image/gif");

$im = imagecreatetruecolor($x * $tx, $y * $ty);
    $black = ImageColorAllocate($im, 51, 51, 51);
    $white = ImageColorAllocate($im, 255, 255, 255);

imagefill($im, 0, 0, $black);

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

$txt = "Thelanis";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 0,$txt,$white);

$txt = "Current Life:";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 1,$txt,$white);

$txt = "    HElf FvS(18)(AoV)/Mnk(2)/Epic(8)/???(5)";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 2,$txt,$white);

$txt = "Past Lives:";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 3,$txt,$white);

$txt = "    Hmn Brd(20)(V)";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 4,$txt,$white);

$txt = "    Wf Pal(20)(KotC)/U.S.(4)";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 5,$txt,$white);

$txt = "    Hmn Rog(1)/Rng(15)(T)/Ftr(4)/Epic(8)/P.A(5)";
    ImageString($im,4,0,$y * 6,$txt,$white);

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ImageGif($im);
    ImageDestroy($im);
    ?>

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Some people on this forum have really odd ideas of what trolling is.
    Trolling Troe-ling
    Definition:
    Something posted that you disagree with.

If the net has proven one thing about humans it's that there are people who hate anything for any reason... or for no reason at all.

Individualistic people love setting their posts apart with avatars, or sig images. Those with creative skills or artistic types or people who do stuff that lends itself to being linked to in a sig. Such things help identify in such a bland medium as plain text.

And then there are people who hate individuality, for various reasons, the two will never understand each other and both sides will always think theirs is the superior position.

I don't have a image for my sig, but I do not understand or pretend to comprehend people who can't stand them... especially how rabid their reactions are. especially when they have multiple avenues to get rid of the offending pixels. Adblock, PhP scripts (or Vbulletin whatever this forum is) the ignore poster feature, an option in your settings that disables them...

I don't get it... life sure would be bland if no one was allowed to wear a T-shirt with a saying or band or what have you on it... I personally hate DDO forums canned avatars... I almost contributed to Movember just to get one more to my liking.

And don't be quick to take offense, this is the eleventy dozenth forum I've seen go through this, and I still have NO IDEA what makes one hate sig images versus those that like them.

count me as a vote for not bland.
    Last edited by IronClan; 05-02-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Lost in my imagination.... or sometimes just living in Canada..

Smile

Thank you!! Oh my goodness, thank you, thank you, a hundred times thank you! I've so badly wanted this for so long. <3 I'm so delighted.

I couldn't find this thread until somebody linked me to it, I had made my own happy thread when I noticed the picture signatures on the forums.

Seriously... thrilled.

Thank you again, you really made my day. <3
    (Formally known as Luadrilae)

Phaeshalee likes you. Yes... you.
    My deviantART gallery

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luadrilae View Post
    Thank you!! Oh my goodness, thank you, thank you, a hundred times thank you! I've so badly wanted this for so long. <3 I'm so delighted.

I couldn't find this thread until somebody linked me to it, I had made my own happy thread when I noticed the picture signatures on the forums.

Seriously... thrilled.

Thank you again, you really made my day. <3
    I was wondering when I'd see her pop up
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I think this could be pretty cool. Have a three way radio selector:

1) Signatures On.
    2) Text Signatures Only (Removes Quote boxes as well)
    3) Signatures Disabled.

Smile

Luadrilae wins again

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post

Luadrilae wins again
    +1

It is awesome! This is why I love signature images, it allows people to be creative and be more unique.

Stoner81.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast