Default Is it worth it to come back?

After a long journey of giving up on this game and discovering that there are still no games out there quite as comprehensive as this in their systems I've decided to take a look at coming back to DDO- though I'm extremely wary of it. Each time I play I get very lonely as I rarely find groups who's purpose is to not-zerg and just kind of have fun with it. The game is very easy, and so running quests feels less like a challenge unless I'm solo stealthing- I'm down two expansions and quite a few adventure packs.

But really, I'm mostly worried about Turbine- when I left they had been adding more and more money sinks to the game that really seemed rather dishonest. The game itself is really unparalleled, but I get depressed whenever I start to want to come back to it because of worry about the company, the game's lifespan (don't want to play again if the game won't be lasting for much longer) and the sheer loneliness I have when I login. There isn't a lack of players, just a lack of social aspect.

Do you think it would be beneficial for me to come back to this game or based on the above, would I likely leave again?
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

The social aspect of the game is in a constant slow decline imo. More and more players group in channels and guild runs or simply solo, and the apparent decline in players magnifies the issue.

There will indeed be more "cash sinks" from when you last played, these are evolving regularly. Having said that you don't need to invest in any of them, you can accomplish your goals without cash if that's your preference.

if you want that kind of social gaming you will find most like-minded people in the Mortal Voyage guild on argo, they are permadeath and you have limited resources to play a quest that's basicly overlevel so you are forced to work together at a slower pace, the one place left you won't see zerging.

Try it out, it can be frustrating to die and reroll but it's much more rewarding then regular play and the community is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    After a long journey of giving up on this game and discovering that there are still no games out there quite as comprehensive as this in their systems I've decided to take a look at coming back to DDO- though I'm extremely wary of it. Each time I play I get very lonely as I rarely find groups who's purpose is to not-zerg and just kind of have fun with it. The game is very easy, and so running quests feels less like a challenge unless I'm solo stealthing- I'm down two expansions and quite a few adventure packs.

But really, I'm mostly worried about Turbine- when I left they had been adding more and more money sinks to the game that really seemed rather dishonest. The game itself is really unparalleled, but I get depressed whenever I start to want to come back to it because of worry about the company, the game's lifespan (don't want to play again if the game won't be lasting for much longer) and the sheer loneliness I have when I login. There isn't a lack of players, just a lack of social aspect.

Do you think it would be beneficial for me to come back to this game or based on the above, would I likely leave again?
    Yes it is worth coming back. This is still a very good game, even if many of your criticisms are justified.

I suggest that you look for static groups to play with that want to play in the style you prefer. I do not think you will have a very hard time hooking up with like minded people so long as you are a little flexible with how much and when you play. Be willing to limit your playing to scheduled gaming with them. That way when you do play you will be more focused on the aspects that you enjoy instead of on the flaws you don't. And just purchase content that your groups want to run since you've fallen a little behind.

Ease back in and play the game you want to play instead of being alone or being stuck in zergs or pugs that force you to play the game in a way you dislike.

Is it worth it to come back?
    Only you know the answer.

Should I get married?

Should I apply for this job?

Should I pursue this endeavor?

I suppose it comes down to how much you're willing to do to take care of the social & challenge aspects (spending some time searching for just the right guild, trying permadeath and/or static groups, etc.), and how hard it is for you to ignore the "cash-grab" aspect. I'm afraid that aspect isn't likely to ever change (unless perhaps to get worse), but it can be ignored, if you try hard enough. You can find a group of like-minded players to run with who don't use "convenience" items from the store (just quest packs and the like), and just ignore/tune out the advertisements and sales, but they haven't gone away, and it's unlikely they ever will.

If you can get past those two hurdles, the game can be really enjoyable. Fun new stuff does keep getting added, and there are lots of great players around, it just might take some effort to find them

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

I am still having a blast with the game.

A few days ago, I taught another new player how to run eggs for a Ultra Aura.

Just yesterday, I helped out a sort of new player with Cannith Crafting questions that led to him getting a bazillion things from me and me crafting him gear. He had already started the crafting on his own, but needed some essences to complete. So I sold them to him.

As we talked, I realized he was a new player trying to learn on his own and not expecting anything given to him. My kind of player.

From there I answered questions then crafted better gear for him. Gave him a portable hole and his plat back because he will need that for his next inventory slot. Sent him some Air Elemental Gems, cure wands, lesser restore potions, Icy Potions, etc.

I kept trying to give him other gear but he was simply infatuated with the gear he had crafted. Such as his Proof Against Disease +6 belt. He was a Paladin. I said to him, "Aren't Paladins Disease immune?" Later on, he admitted I was right.

I am a soloist by choice, so the social aspect from the game I get is how I treat other players that are trying to actually learn the game.

There are only money sinks in this game if you use them. I post all my junk on the plat AH. I don't care about astral shards. I earn turbine points by actually getting favor and buying junk that way. I did buy Shadowfell, but that was my choice and not a money sink. I don't care about being the ultra powefullest so I don't have to buy a stone every other day.

If you cannot control your spending in a game, maybe you need to change your life priorities a smidgeon. it is a game. It is not life. It is meant to be a diversion. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing in the game that is going solve any of my real world problems, but it does allow me to forget them a bit. Such as doing my State taxes.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I am still having a blast with the game.

A few days ago, I taught another new player how to run eggs for a Ultra Aura.

Just yesterday, I helped out a sort of new player with Cannith Crafting questions that led to him getting a bazillion things from me and me crafting him gear. He had already started the crafting on his own, but needed some essences to complete. So I sold them to him.

As we talked, I realized he was a new player trying to learn on his own and not expecting anything given to him. My kind of player.

From there I answered questions then crafted better gear for him. Gave him a portable hole and his plat back because he will need that for his next inventory slot. Sent him some Air Elemental Gems, cure wands, lesser restore potions, Icy Potions, etc.

I kept trying to give him other gear but he was simply infatuated with the gear he had crafted. Such as his Proof Against Disease +6 belt. He was a Paladin. I said to him, "Aren't Paladins Disease immune?" Later on, he admitted I was right.

I am a soloist by choice, so the social aspect from the game I get is how I treat other players that are trying to actually learn the game.

There are only money sinks in this game if you use them. I post all my junk on the plat AH. I don't care about astral shards. I earn turbine points by actually getting favor and buying junk that way. I did buy Shadowfell, but that was my choice and not a money sink. I don't care about being the ultra powefullest so I don't have to buy a stone every other day.

If you cannot control your spending in a game, maybe you need to change your life priorities a smidgeon. it is a game. It is not life. It is meant to be a diversion. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing in the game that is going solve any of my real world problems, but it does allow me to forget them a bit. Such as doing my State taxes.
    You should probably get those done xD

Thank you for this. It really isn't about controlling spending- it's the gnawing feeling of knowing I'm missing more stuff. But I guess with the content as it is, I could just get the content and be done with it.

I'm not a completionist, but I like to do everything there is to do in a video game as far as quests or mapping- sidequests, etc. There's a ton of quests in this game but eventually I will do them all. I may need a three month subscription to do a few of them just once.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    I may need a three month subscription
    If your horizon is 3 months... who cares? Go play Xbox.

Edit: This is from someone who might have invited you into a guild. If you're leaving in 3 months, who do you expect to care if you were there at all?
    Last edited by Bart_D; 04-21-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post

Edit: This is from someone who might have invited you into a guild. If you're leaving in 3 months, who do you expect to care if you were there at all?
    Good point, but I think he meant that he'd sub to cover the quests he hasn't bought, then unsub and keep playing the content he has bought. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_D View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    Good point, but I think he meant that he'd sub to cover the quests he hasn't bought, then unsub and keep playing the content he has bought. (?)
    Arminius is on the nose.
    I can't see a reason to stay subbed other than to get everything done- I'll slowly buy the adventure packs after the three months of "must do everything"- and then keep playing afterwards. The only other benefits of being subbed can be bought, as far as I know- other than all elite quests and the 10% exp boost.

Community Member

Well bud, All I can say Is You coming back or not coming back Is up to you. Yes the game has flaws. No you don't have to pay to win. I played for about 9 months and I quit for 3 months cuz I kept getting Into guilds that had more drama than a damm soap opera. And I could honestly play other games and not miss ddo from a pure game sense. But I found out I missed the people I have ran quests with and became friends with In my life which Is why I came back and plan on staying. Now I am In a good guild that focuses on fun and helping players and sad as It may sound I met and made more friends on here than I did In my real life lol. Not saying I don't have a few ppl on here I dislike and vice versa. But that Is the main reason I play ddo. I know I will probably never be an uber completionist or even a good player compared to many. But I am fine with that and thankful for the people I have met. I hope If you do come back you will find what you seek and stick with a good guild and DDO. When It comes to guilds you just gotta look and go through trial and error.
    Last edited by joshuafields; 04-21-2014 at 11:51 PM.

I can relate to lack of pugs that aren't zerg related, but I found that, in general, a lot of people I played with in pugs in the past were jerks, so I stopped pugging for a long time with the exception of raids. I have a couple of friends on DDO on Sarlona that I try to play with as much as possible. When they're not on, I play with my husband, or I take a break and play something else (Diablo 3 with hubs currently). Myself and my husband and one of our friends do not zerg and I am interested in playing with other like minded people who are not jerks. I have a lot of characters on Sarlona, so I'd be open to playing with you if you ever wanted to. I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind either. We're mostly likely to be found on my ranger Silviine and his monk Oong, or his ranger Tholond if you wanted to look us up sometime for some non-zerg play. I can't say the whole money grabbing people talk about really bothers me, to be honest. I think as long as people play the way they want to and are having fun, it shouldn't matter if some people decide to buy some things from the store or not, but that's just me.
    Last edited by rosedarkthorn; 04-22-2014 at 12:20 AM.

If you've not found any other game out there that can keep your interest, then sure. Just ignore the cash-sinks and enjoy the game for what it is. And the joy of DDO is that it is what you make it.

And if it's still not to your liking, then all you've lost is a little time finding that out firsthand.

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

I've been playing the game pretty solidly over the past two years. In that time, I've gone from knowing absolutely nothing to leading raid groups. The game is as good as what you're willing to put into it. It may take some time to meet a kindred spirit, but it somehow happens for all of us.

I've definitely experienced a lot of frustration on the learning curve, meeting people, and eventually stumbling into a good guild full of friends I've been playing with on a daily basis. I don't consider myself a zerger, but I do like to TR, so I've played the heroic quests enough to know every nook and cranny. I guess my regular movement speed may seem zergy to someone new to a certain quest, but I'm more than willing to slow down if they just speak up. I always get ransack and conquest bonuses, and I feel compelled to pick up coppers and every white opal that falls out of a broken box. I guess it depends on your definition of zerg. I've never jumped over an enemy to reach the finish line. Whenever new content is released, I am a serious flower sniffer. My friends and I took 3 hours to complete Haunted Halls (the newest expansion) on our first run through. We spent a good 5 minutes on a suspicious looking wall because we had a crummy hireling trapper and we were certain it had a hidden door. (There was no door, but it looked strange)

I started as free to play, and bought my first content pack (catacombs) with points I'd accrued through favor. I become premium after buying Menace of the Underdark upon getting my first character to level 20, and finally went VIP this past fall for the convenience.

My name is Shankwelle on Argonnessen. I'm more than happy to run a couple quests with you if you'd like. I have a variety of characters at different levels. Right now I just TRed my dwarf Halek into a fighter/cleric split, and hit level 6 today. I'm always happy to have a buddy for elites. My regular group tends to run higher levels, so I'm usually by myself until level 15 or so.