Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 121 to 134 of 134
  1. #121
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Are you really saying that a better would could not have been used to avoid the whole situation, don't be ridiculous. Lets be honest, it was used, and then defended, to build this whole thing up.

    You were played, so was I, but hey, that's what a good troll is all about.
    I'm saying that turbines decision to censor the word rather than ignore it produced three more troll threads.

    Your position on the word itself is silly and the appropriate response is ridicule. You can beat your chest about the mighty power of HR but even they are not immune. When a company I worked at banned all drug paraphernalia, and then later on the same page defined that to include bowls and spoons, the hr lady came in to work to find that someone had thoughtfully taken the offending paper/plastic products from the kitchen and turned them in on top of her desk. Next years policy was a little more thought out.

    Your over sensitivity for one race and not others is actually a "benevolent" form of racism, there is a time and a place to correct racism. This was not it.

  2. #122
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Are you saying that the intent behind my original post is retroactively changed by trying to solve the problem presented by those who objected to it in the first place?
    LOL, So wonderfully played.

    You know, If you really had no clue the word was a homonym for a racial slur, upon being informed of this, you would have responded with an apology for not knowing, IE: Admitted Your Ignorance on the subject, moved on and let it go and that pretty much would have been the end of things.

    But that was not what transpired.

    Your recourse was to call everyone else ignorant. So, you're smart, which is great, it also means you're not some ditsy girl who did not know better.

    As such everyone here really has no other alternative then to conclude that you knew exactly what you were doing all along, even if they want to defend you, they can't dismiss the fact that you are intelligent and educated enough to know precisely what you were doing.

    You deliberately chose to use this word for it's incite value with the motive to shock people so you would then be able to get the satisfaction of getting to call everyone that may have taken offence at your word, "ignorant" all the while playing up the victim card.

    Well played to tell the truth.

    The whole ploy of female innocence really sold it to be honest. I highly doubt you would have gotten near as many if any white knights to defend you if you did not play the gender card.

    10/10 Troll, Positively Brilliant.



    All you other wanna-be's should be taking notes.
    Last edited by Ungood; 04-21-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: bah, troll not toll.

  3. #123
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Your position on the word itself is silly and the appropriate response is ridicule.
    Nope, and not to be rude, I don't really want to hear what other off-the-wall guess you're going to come up with next.
    Last edited by Ungood; 04-21-2014 at 09:07 AM.

  4. #124
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I'm saying that turbines decision to censor the word rather than ignore it produced three more troll threads.
    I am going to assume that you came in late and thus do not fully understand the situation, so, just for your information, Turbine did not censor the word.

  5. #125
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    You can still be sued, it is not a guaranteed win, especially if there was nonsense like what you have spouted in this thread. Even if you win the lawsuit, the company still gets bad PR, legal expenses and would most likely settle and "at-will" the silly HR person.
    No you can't always be sued unless the plaintiff has the cash up front lawyers only take cases on contingency if they expect to win. The use of the word falls under the section for sexual harassment sub category hostile workplace if people complain and you come back with the defenses being used here you will be let go and when people call to see why you we're let go you will find it hard to get another job.


    You can be fired for nearly any reason and won't be even able to collect unemployment in many cases you only really have a case if you have grounds for discrimination.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  6. #126
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    As does the intent of the one who complains... and unless you could prove that intent of the original poster, you would be open to a lawsuit.
    No you wouldn't not in America just pay attention to what is said at new employee orientation on creating a hostile work environment.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  7. #127
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    And the original poster has repeatedly said he did not intend to provoke. So now it would be up to the PC czars to prove him a liar.
    It only takes one person at a company complaining to get them to take action as hostile work environment cases are a huge headache people often start jumping on the bandwagon when they here about those.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  8. #128
    Community Member schelsullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I sit here with my hoary beard as I masticate my dinner and read this paintive missive and I think to myself that the internet trolls who presented their fallacious arguments against your titular phrase only did so in an attempt to cause angina to the dear readers of this beloved forum.

    Your post warms the cockles of my heart.
    You, Sir, are the winner. +1 for Cleverness.
    Argonnessen - Glibb Bonefish, Lev 28 pure Elf Ranger

  9. #129
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    After what I have learned, I would understand HR personnel having a bias toward caution and protecting the company from lawsuits. However, the people you consulted were at a disadvantage. You said you showed them the three threads involved. There were four. The original thread was cleaned up at my request to keep it on topic. Without the original thread, your HR people do not know how the discussion came into being in the first place, and they cannot accurately form an opinion about intent.
    No they were informed of the original title and they said the perception of the word would be an issue and your other thread trying to defend that word caused them to question if they would ever want such a worker.

    I give safety briefings and cover hostile workplace myself and will likely add something similar to this topic to my briefings but I won't use that word I will say saying about some words may be perceived to have different meanings and would be smarter to use more common words rather than try to be smart and use words that many may not know the meaning of just to show how smart you are or to try and clearly get a reaction out of people and then try to claim innocence when you are clearly not innocent of trying to get a reaction.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  10. #130
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I am going to assume that you came in late and thus do not fully understand the situation, so, just for your information, Turbine did not censor the word.
    Actually, you're the one that came in late, you admit to this twice in your 1st two posts. {{edit: sorry, your 4th and 5th posts}} In fact Turbine DID censor the word, as can be easily proven by looking at the original Thread title, and noticing that there is NO 'edited' text under the OP.

    So much of what you've been saying is based on your own misinformed assumptions that it's really difficult to argue constructively with you.

    I'd like to add that your repeated claims that the OP deliberately chose the word for shock value and to incite anger and to troll are not only off the mark, but are bordering on harassment. It's one thing to disagree and have a polite, constructive argument. It's another thing to just act like a jerk.

    Me, I've already decided we're not going to see eye to eye and that's fine, but what you're doing now is just over the top rude, insulting, and un-called-for.
    Last edited by BOgre; 04-21-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

  11. #131
    Hopeless Romantic dunklezhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire Toxic Fringe Zone
    Posts
    4,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post

    The whole ploy of female innocence really sold it to be honest. I highly doubt you would have gotten near as many if any white knights to defend you if you did not play the gender card.

    Must've missed that. Is that sort of thing supposed to still matter too when it comes to discussions in a virtual environment where physical domination can't be used to 'win'? Must've missed that memo. Here, we're all 'it' as far as I'm concerned - I don't use my nethers to type, ergo gender does not come into it. I defended her (apparently) point about the word being fine to use, certainly, because it damn well should be. But it isn't and so unless one wants to stir up this kind of trouble, one should avoid it except where you're certain it can't be misinterpreted.

    That said, I clearly also agree with your conclusions re: being smart enough to know there's a wasp nest in the metaphorical bush but actively choosing to risk it anyway. And just like that situation, "but I had every right to do that" won't protect a body from being stung.

    In short, I defend the right to use the language (and that particular word, frankly) correctly, but I also promote the need to think about what you say where possible, and I think there would have been better, more obvious ways to title the original post and this thread was unnecessary - though I've found it illuminating in several ways. I don't know whether that makes me a "white knight" or not, I can't even decide which side I'm on except that I just want everyone to basically get along!
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 04-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

  12. #132
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Actually, you're the one that came in late, you admit to this twice in your 1st two posts. In fact Turbine DID censor the word, as can be easily proven by looking at the original Thread title, and noticing that there is NO 'edited' text under the OP.
    Really, a Moderator edit of the Post proves Censorship?

    You sure?

    Because you know..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The OP has asked me to remove all comments related to the language discussion, to allow the thread to be used to discuss the OP topic. I have now done so.
    It's pretty clear Tscheuss was the one to ask them to remove it.

    And I'll be honest, it would have been great and the mature right thing to do to let things go from that point, put up a minor apology in the OP to say you were sorry for any offence, explain that the word just means stingy to you, and just moved on, as opposed to you know... starting this thread.
    Last edited by Ungood; 04-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.

  13. #133
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Really, a Moderator edit of the Post proves Censorship?

    You sure?

    Because you know..



    It's pretty clear Tscheuss was the one to ask them to remove it.

    And I'll be honest, it would have been great and the mature right thing to do to let things go from that point, put up a minor apology in the OP to say you were sorry for any offence, explain that the word just means stingy to you, and just moved on, as opposed to you know... starting this thread.
    The thread was originally titled "... 'nigardly' ..." instead of "... 'stingy' ...". That edit/redaction was done early on. Tscheuss' request to have off-topic posts removed occured much later. I wish you'd have straight facts before spouting off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

  14. #134
    Community Manager
    Cordovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston Area, MA
    Posts
    17,652

    Default

    Now that the weekend is over and everyone's had their fun, this subject is closed. Further threads on this topic will not be permitted.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!



Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload