Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We do our best here to be impartial; typically, when looking at a reported post, we don't look at the name of the person who made the post until after the post is read, and an initial idea about whether it's a violation is made.
    I'm certain there are many people on these forums (and some who are no longer with us) that would disagree with this statement. As we are unable to post specific examples here, I will refrain.

Please don't make it personal. Remember that this thread does not suddenly permit people to talk about specific incidents or infractions. We do our best here to be impartial; typically, when looking at a reported post, we don't look at the name of the person who made the post until after the post is read, and an initial idea about whether it's a violation is made. It's not uncommon for people who consistently violate the rules to feel like they are being targeted, but it's simply not the case.

I quote this, though, because it brings up a semi-common statement that moderators hear when they've issued an infraction, and that infraction causes someone to reach a total infraction limit and be banned: "I was BANNED for X!!!?!?!?!?!"

No, you were not banned for X. You were - infracted - for X, and since you reached ten total infractions, you were banned. You were - not - banned for X; rather, you were banned for A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I AND then X. It's not uncommon for people to falsely equate a ban to the last thing they were infracted for, but unless that infraction was a 20-point infraction, it alone did not cause you to be banned.
    As previous posters have mentioned not having a forgiveness system in place is a bad idea. Especially with a game that has been around for 8 years. I would consider a forgiveness system that erases an infraction point or two per year and I would also start taking into consideration who you are infracting. If the person in question is a VIP who has spent $X (threshold) amount of Turbine Points I would strongly consider a slap on the wrist rather than assigning them some virtual disciplinary points that never go away over time. Turbine should be more concerned about retaining its player base with a game that is over 8 years old and dumped a lot of money into said game than worried about them dropping the occasional f-bomb, or calling another posted stupid.

Solution to your problem - create an adults-only thread subject to a different set of terms and conditions where players can vent their frustrations unhindered. Players can choose to ignore the thread or post there if they want to.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 17); Saulot (Life 5); Leviathian (Life 9); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Manager

I did want to address the OP's concern as well. To begin with, we did not actually incorporate the "/signed" guideline into our Community Guidelines, thanks in large part to the feedback we received when we posted the revised guidelines up for feedback. The rule in question was:

11. Polls and Petitions.
    While we consider this spam, we felt we should explain why. First, several pages of /signed and /unsigned doesn’t really offer us much in the way of actionable feedback. Second, they usually turn into something unpleasant. Instead we recommend a well-considered suggestion posted in the appropriate area that would allow for meaningful contributions and opinions to be shared by all members of the community.
    The intention of its inclusion was not to allow us to "ban people for typing /signed"; rather, it was to better communicate our longstanding practice of closing "petition threads" that contain little more than an OP statement and then pages of people typing /signed. This offers little of value to us, and we'd much rather hear more detail from folks about what it is specifically they don't like, how it would impact their gameplay negatively, that sort of thing.

To be honest, this proposed guideline was also removed from inclusion due to the reality that we've almost never actually had to deal with these kind of threads over in DDO. It's basically been a non-issue, so when there was community feedback that folks preferred us to not include this rule, it was not a problem removing it. In general, we've found that even when someone starts a "petition thread", it quickly transitions from people typing /signed to a more in-depth discussion of the topic. Us D&D folks like to discuss and debate, I guess. I'm sure there are some "petition thread" OPs who would have preferred their thread remain a simple "vote", but hey, that's how things tend to go over here.

Just to make it clear: We never have allowed "petition threads" that contain little more than /signed, and you can expect such threads in the future to be closed. We really don't care if you type /signed in response to someone every now and then, we have better things to spend our time with. Similar to "Hi Welcome", it's never been about the word or phrase, but is instead about the intention and meaning. Hi Welcome was never prohibited; it was only prohibited when used to belittle someone's idea, or to provoke or harass.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    It would be more akin to someone visiting a country. No matter how much time we may spend on the forums or in game, it is nothing more then a vacation. Case in point, I work security on a Resort, and when people arrive, they pay for the privileged to be here and enjoy our amenities, but, they still have to follow the rules here, they are not given an allowance to do whatever they like simply because they paid money to be here. In fact, the point that we police the resort, we make sure people are following the rules, and that this place is a safe environment for children and adults alike, is what entices people to stay with us, and if you act up, or cause problems, or risk the safety of others, we will throw you out, no matter how much you have paid.

I don't see the Turbine forums really being any different then that in function and purpose.
    Yes, that is a good comparison - a luxury resort where you get amusement, service and are provided safe surroundings to let your kids play all they want without having to constantly watch their backs.

I believe the largest problem with "perceived favoritism" is the perceived part.
    Hm, when you think about your comparison to the resort - does it really matter for the enjoyment of people whether any favoritism in keeping the rules is real or "just" percieved? Working in services for almost all my life, I tend to see both as being equally serious an upset to good relations, and the percieved ones being even more unpleasant. The best way out of that is to really look into that perception and be open enough about it that reasonable guests/customers/partners understand that you are doing all you can to be fair to everyone alike.
    That is why I would be happy if Cordovan took up the opportunity to look carefully into any information that he was sent based on this discussion and hope that it is followed up at least by communication with the people who provide that information, but even better if its addressed in a future post for all players.

t is incredibly annoying to have our freedom of speech limited in any capacity including the right for us to express our opinions.
    The most common misconception is that there is such a thing as freedom of speech in private entities. Freedom of speech is between you and your political power and guaranteed to be free by that political power. It's not between you and Joe on the street or you and Turbine. Not to defend Turbine, but this is not only echoed here but many other places too.

And while the idea of 'free speech' resonates with most people it's so many times abused as a right to be an oaf. And just as someone might perceive that they have free speech rights in all venues and places it's often not argued that anyone else, either reading or listening to that person 'free speech' also have the right not too.

Again, Free speech, in it's essence, is to speak freely to power. And that the power do not have the rights to limit that free speech and should guarantee it within reason. I on the other hand don't need too; if anyone comes barking on my doorstep I have all the rights to throw the door in that persons face.

Freely translated any which way to private entities such as this one.

As for an adult free zone for people to vent? Maybe not a bad idea, but I've seen lapse moderation turn into a monkey house of outright harassment followed by statements like 'if you can't handle it...'.

I doubt our founders had the idea of verbal bullying in mind when the put together our first amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I doubt our founders had the idea of verbal bullying in mind when the put together our first amendment.
    George Washington and Thomas Jefferson's wooden teeth would fall out if we showed them how OP monkchers are.

Ben Franklin would insist on a rated "R" DDO game where we could see the boobies of maraliths and succubi.

John Hancock would likely pen better content than epic Gianthold (Land of Everpurple), or TBC.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 17); Saulot (Life 5); Leviathian (Life 9); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    As previous posters have mentioned not having a forgiveness system in place is a bad idea. Especially with a game that has been around for 8 years. I would consider a forgiveness system that erases an infraction point or two per year and I would also start taking into consideration who you are infracting. If the person in question is a VIP who has spent $X (threshold) amount of Turbine Points I would strongly consider a slap on the wrist rather than assigning them some virtual disciplinary points that never go away over time. Turbine should be more concerned about retaining its player base with a game that is over 8 years old and dumped a lot of money into said game than worried about them dropping the occasional f-bomb, or calling another posted stupid.

Solution to your problem - create an adults-only thread subject to a different set of terms and conditions where players can vent their frustrations unhindered. Players can choose to ignore the thread or post there if they want to.
    I see some concerns about your proposals: By enacting a "forgiveness" system, we also essentially allow people to have "get out of jail free" cards. "Here's my free infraction for the year - you're a #&$#&!!!" is what I'd ultimately expect the result to be from a system that allowed people to earn a couple of infractions per year and have them erased. Not saying a system couldn't be created, but it would be difficult to put one in place that didn't end up promoting bad behavior.

I also think the community wouldn't really want a moderation system that was explicitly biased: Spend X amount of money per year, or be a VIP, and be able to say and do things that others cannot. I also think that a "moderation-free" thread would end up being a magnet for all kinds of hate, harassment, and threats, and would quickly become the #1 source of reported posts on the forums. I've worked on other forums over the years since being hired here (Batman: Arkham City, Gotham City Impostors, Midway Arcade, LOTRO, and others), and in other cases where threads have moved too quickly perhaps to moderate effectively, they soon became significant community problems. Since the official DDO forums are a place for the entirety of the community to gather, it necessitates guidelines that wouldn't probably apply to your guild forums or other more-private web sites. In the same way you can swear in your living room, but it's frowned upon when you go into a profanity-laced tirade at the toy store, we need to set rules in place for this community gathering space that take the entirety of the community into account.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

ok I have a Idea why not make it so we can create actual polls on top of the thread then it would help those of us that don't have much to say or completely agree/disagree instead of us just using
    /singed or /unsigned
    tepidus flamma of amicitia mos usquequaque persevero ustulo in nostrum pectus pectoris pro totus infinitio

I see some concerns about your proposals: By enacting a "forgiveness" system, we also essentially allow people to have "get out of jail free" cards. "Here's my free infraction for the year - you're a #&$#&!!!" is what I'd ultimately expect the result to be from a system that allowed people to earn a couple of infractions per year and have them erased. Not saying a system couldn't be created, but it would be difficult to put one in place that didn't end up promoting bad behavior.

I also think the community wouldn't really want a moderation system that was explicitly biased: Spend X amount of money per year, or be a VIP, and be able to say and do things that others cannot. I also think that a "moderation-free" thread would end up being a magnet for all kinds of hate, harassment, and threats, and would quickly become the #1 source of reported posts on the forums. I've worked on other forums over the years since being hired here (Batman: Arkham City, Gotham City Impostors, Midway Arcade, LOTRO, and others), and in other cases where threads have moved too quickly perhaps to moderate effectively, they soon became significant community problems. Since the official DDO forums are a place for the entirety of the community to gather, it necessitates guidelines that wouldn't probably apply to your guild forums or other more-private web sites. In the same way you can swear in your living room, but it's frowned upon when you go into a profanity-laced tirade at the toy store, we need to set rules in place for this community gathering space that take the entirety of the community into account.
    You make an excellent case and cited some good examples there of why adding an adults-only thread could be problematic. I admit, you make some good points.

I do disagree with your concerns about a forgiveness system. You have players in the game right now Cord that do things other players cannot because they have the disposable income to purchase it from the DDO store. Examples such as raid timer bypasses, item augments, Bladeforged Iconic Classes, +5 tomes, etc.

A forgiveness system tells the players that they make mistakes and rewards you over time by not repeating them. Your system for doing this is up to you - automatic removal of 1-2 points/year, or the option to buy down said infractions using the DDO store. This keeps players in game which means more money for you guys to work on the next DDO game and future content. As a player it makes little to no sense to ban people from the forums unless they are doing something highly illegal. Temporary bans - sure, but booting from the game and then preventing people from talking about it reminds me of black bags dropped over peoples heads in V for Vendetta.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Make it a rolling 12 months - it has to be 12 months from your last infraction, before an infraction can be removed. 'here's this year's infraction' is all very well as long as they've keeping rigid track of the time between, otherwise they'll just keep stacking up, and take years to wear off. If they can also be appealed via PM plea... I have no problem with that at all and I can't see how anyone would bother to try to abuse it.

That said... its Turbine forums, Turbine rules. Can't really argue with it, and sadly if they do it wrong they lose customers and rep but if they do it right and no-one would notice either way. And either way, some people will still be jerks and have to be managed somehow.

Why can't we all just get on with our lives and be polite to each other? Constant frustration I have with the human species in general I guess, but isn't that the easiest way in this case to stop community guidelines becoming a: the size of a statute book and b: an issue? You can be critical, harsh even, if you feel the need to be without being rude or disruptive, and as long as you're constructive at the same time really who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Default Cordovan

I think there may be a misunderstanding about forum moderation.

My wife is the mod for a major knife company. Note "the". She's "the" only one. Her forums gets at least as many posts as this one. She isn't really a "mod", she is a sales rep who must place orders, attend meetings, deal with upset knife knuts and participate in at least six trade shows per year.

She get's report e-mails 24/7, occasionally in the middle of the night. She will look at her Blackberry and eiher respond if it's bad, or wait until the morning.

I'm not saying that Jerry is the only mod on these forums. I'm saying that it's not the huge staff some of you may think. I think he does a pretty good job.

I was slapped once. Told my wife. She thought it was silly. I went on with my life.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    You make an excellent case and cited some good examples there of why adding an adults-only thread could be problematic. I admit, you make some good points.

Ya, just cuz he said it fancier than I did.

I do disagree with your concerns about a forgiveness system. You have players in the game right now Cord that do things other players cannot because they have the disposable income to purchase it from the DDO store. Examples such as raid timer bypasses, item augments, Bladeforged Iconic Classes, +5 tomes, etc.

A forgiveness system tells the players that they make mistakes and rewards you over time by not repeating them. Your system for doing this is up to you - automatic removal of 1-2 points/year, or the option to buy down said infractions using the DDO store. This keeps players in game which means more money for you guys to work on the next DDO game and future content. As a player it makes little to no sense to ban people from the forums unless they are doing something highly illegal. Temporary bans - sure, but booting from the game and then preventing people from talking about it reminds me of black bags dropped over peoples heads in V for Vendetta.

Absolutely NOT, to allowing frax to be bought off.

I support a system that would allow old frax to be removed. Especially old old frax like say from the old Kommunist Kobold era where he would frax an entire thread regardless of what was posted by individuals in that thread.

1 point per year since last Frax sounds reasonable.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

I think the heart of this issue is the perceived harshness of the moderation of this forum.

At the risk of getting in trouble for standing up and being honest, I think most people feel the "disciplinary" actions (which is bizarre, most of us are grown ups) here are over the top and somewhat extreme. We pay money to play this game and participate in the forum. I understand rules are rules and certain behavioral norms must be maintained. I also know that as a forum of basically autistic video game nerd tweekers, as a GROUP we are prone to EXTREME views, EXTREME outbursts, and occasionally some EXTREME Trolling.

All of that being said however, no one, short of someone posting EXTREMELY offensive pornography or something else actually illegal or legitimately bullying should have any repercussions for online forum posting. Everything else that occurs on this forum in terms of moderation, frankly, is sort of ridiculous. People should use this forum at their own risk. This isn't preschool, and people don't need their hands held or their egos protected over a Dungeons and Dragons video game. Certainly people should not be banned for life from this forum for anything less than a real life law breaking offense.

This is just my opinion, but I have a feeling it's shared by most people.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

If people said "you're filled with poo and I think you are ugly!" once per year, I think the forums could survive that.

With the current system, forum participants who make a large number of posts and who have been around for a very long time can slowly rack up infractions and they know that they'll be permabanned eventually even if the percentage of infracted posts is miniscule. It's demoralizing to feel that permaban is essentially inevitable and makes it harder to keep a lid on when someone is provoking you - after all, you know it's not going to matter in the long run.

Providing get-out-of-infraction free once per year means that people who are mostly good (i.e. they only slip up once per year) can look forward to a long and productive DDO forums experience.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If people said "you're filled with poo and I think you are ugly!" once per year, I think the forums could survive that.

With the current system, forum participants who make a large number of posts and who have been around for a very long time can slowly rack up infractions and they know that they'll be permabanned eventually even if the percentage of infracted posts is miniscule. It's demoralizing to feel that permaban is essentially inevitable and makes it harder to keep a lid on when someone is provoking you - after all, you know it's not going to matter in the long run.

Providing get-out-of-infraction free once per year means that people who are mostly good (i.e. they only slip up once per year) can look forward to a long and productive DDO forums experience.
    All infractions should expire over time. Even Taxes can be negotiated out of and have a statute of limitations and Felonies can eventually be expunged from people's criminal records. This forum is not more important than Taxes and Felonies.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    If people said "you're filled with poo..." once per year, I think the forums could survive that.....
    My ex makes it a point to remind me of that fact at least once or twice a week and I'm *twitch* okay. *twitch* ...so far...
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    This forum is not more important than Taxes and Felonies.
    Well, I'm not sure we'd all agree. Let's take a poll!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

TBH Cordovan, Turbines customer retention is practically non existant so your get out of jail free card after a year is really just a moot point cause there arent as many that play the game as there used to be, let alone after a year anyways.

The system that is currently on the forums and moreso in game is explicitly biased to fanbois/known game breaking exploiters who receive a slap on the wrist or nothing at all because they report bugs/have a good raport with the forum mods or [insert known reason here].

Your in game GM's have no guidelines at all, getting 1 to help with an issue is a crapshoot.

Your forum guidelines prevent the discussion of anything negative towards anything regardless of text [good or bad].

Your forum guidelines prevent the discussion of exploits, while doing them is wrong and bannable, discussing them so people know exactly what is forbidden is rather a good thing imo.

So while a disagree with you that the current system is exactly what you claim it not to be, I do agree that there shouldnt be any hate/cursing/threats or harassment.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    /snip
    You appear to be drawing a direct parallel between the power that Turbine has on these forums and the power that the people in charge of Germany during that time period (nasty political party) or whoever ran the American south in that time had.
    Given that these are not the most extreme examples of authoritarianism available, but are some of the most well-known abuses of it, it is not unreasonable to understand that that is what you are getting at.
    Of course you may not have meant it that way, but we can only go by what you specifically said.
    I think that the poster was saying that this is their pool, so we have to follow their rules. As in 1929-1945 Germany. that person was in control and his rules were followed or else. In Jim Crow south, same thing rules were followed or else. Same thing in ancient Rome or USA or any other entity today, their rules are followed and you get to live in relative peace, if not there were/are consequences.

Yes, we are free not to post in these forums which is easy for most people and harder for others. In my opinion, your post could be read and considered to be reportable as being meant to inflame or draw a negative response which anyone could easily do, instead I chose to respond to it in a honest(to me) and frank manner so as to show how I read his response and show that sometimes different minds see things in different ways. We can not all see the same thing as everyone else, but I would ask that you at least consider this viewpoint before disregarding it.

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

A LOT of discussion over this.

Let's be honest...we DO get to discuss negative things in the forums, we are just given a policy of doing so in a constructive manner, not being hateful or malicious, or in manner that might be detrimental to Turbine.

Every society/community has its rules of behavior or code of conduct. If being adults insured our good behavior then we would not need any rules for our cities, states or countries, but we do need and do have those rules. Turbine has it's rules for the forum community too. The rules are posted, the rules HAVE been moderated based on community feedback, and the rules are moderated by a human being with human understanding; Cordovan is not some piece of computer code that ejects players from the forums and the game based on some algorithm but a real live human being who follows a posted set of rules using human judgement, and if we are fair then we would agree that he is not a harsh moderator within the rules he is obliged to use.

The forums are set up to be a family friendly language environment, which in part means that someones underage child who plays DDO and comes to the forums to learn more about the game shouldn't find abuse, vulgarity nor maliciousness, all things we'd want our own children not to run into. We are all adults, we SHOULD be able to follow a set of guidelines and SHOULD be able to moderate our behavior as such that we are able to voice our ideas and our concerns in civil language; being adults does not in any society/community excuse lack of personal control or lack of adherence to the rules of such society/community. Those who are so very worried that they might slip and say something to get themselves banned after being able to discuss it here without being banned for discussing such should take a step back and realize that there is indeed tolerance here in Turbine's forum community.

Now I think I'll go play the game and NOT be worried about being banned from the forums or the game because I discussed things on the Turbine owned DDO forums today.
    Thumbed_Servant (to my cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 20 clr-10 epic/ Muhther 18 clr-2 fav-6 epic/ Sheolah 20 pal-2 epic/ plus many 'casual' toons

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast