Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I think we all understand that there needs to be restrictions on what is said on these boards. My only problem is that it is the same treatment across the board.

If I were to call you an idiot and flame a post of yours, I would be banned in a heartbeat. If a protected fanboi were to do the same to you, not only is he not in trouble, but they leave the post up.

I know that the mods may have a bad day, but it is obvious that they pick and choose who to pick on consistently, and that is the problem.
    This is not true. We don't typically "ban someone in a heartbeat" unless it is an extreme violation. If you received a ban for reaching an infraction threshhold, that's not the same as being banned over a specific post. We also endeavor to apply the rules fairly, so if you see someone being insulted, we'll look into it no matter what your infraction history is.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

I think we all understand that there needs to be restrictions on what is said on these boards. My only problem is that it is the same treatment across the board.

If I were to call you an idiot and flame a post of yours, I would be banned in a heartbeat. If a protected fanboi were to do the same to you, not only is he not in trouble, but they leave the post up.

I know that the mods may have a bad day, but it is obvious that they pick and choose who to pick on consistently, and that is the problem.
    Bingo.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Yes and this creates a huge rift between understanding the weight of opinions of those who actually play the game versus whose voice gets to be heard on the forums, by creating a situation where the loudest voices on the forums are not representing the majority opinion in game.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Mmm, so there is the perception of favortism. Examples...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is not true. We don't typically "ban someone in a heartbeat" unless it is an extreme violation. If you received a ban for reaching an infraction threshhold, that's not the same as being banned over a specific post. We also endeavor to apply the rules fairly, so if you see someone being insulted, we'll look into it no matter what your infraction history is.
    Ive been asked not to say specific things, and one search will reveal more than 200 examples of those same things being said repeatedly by other folks between when I was asked not to say them, and now. I wont discuss it in full on the forums openly, but I can PM you for full context if youd like, showing that what vint stated to be quite correct.
    Last edited by Chai; 04-16-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

You might endeavor to apply the rules fairly, but you haven't succeeded all that well. Since discussion of specific disciplinary action is expressly forbidden (and infractable), I'll just stop with that comment.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    Mmm, so there is the perception of favortism. Examples...?
    That's the best part. Providing examples is an infractable offense.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ive been asked not to say specific things, and one search will reveal more than 200 examples of those same things being said repeatedly by other folks between when I was asked not to say them, and now. I wont discuss it in full on the forums openly, but I can PM you for full context if youd like, showing that what vint stated to be quite correct.
    This is also my experience. I also agree with Vint.

There is a seemingly large divide between how specific punishments are handed out between different groups on the forums. There is nothing fair or balanced about it (yes, it's Turbine's forums, they can do what they want. Just don't claim it's fair). Most people are just afraid to speak up, since even attempting to is grounds for disciplinary action.

Community Member

Seems counter productive when trying to identify/affirm an issue.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    The first post in that thread is from 2007. Does responding to that original post constitute "Necro posting"?
    First post in 2007... *laugh* HA!

And it does not because that thread is still alive and active.

This type of Turbine behavior is also rampant in game as well but oh wait, I cant discuss it here either.
    Zerg of Thelanis

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    Seems counter productive when trying to identify/affirm an issue.
    Yes, this does happen on these forums. There are certain forumites that have been given vacations after saying the same thing that others said who were given free passes in the same thread. But, their pool, their rules.

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mons View Post
    This type of Turbine behavior is also rampant in game as well but oh wait, I cant discuss it here either.
    It really is dependent upon who is doing the "work" at the time. They may have guidelines, but those aren't followed equally.

It's probably got more to do with whether one was reported or not.

For example I post X, Y and Z are idiotic changes and "john doe" is a complete twit for thinking they would be useful.

5 posts down you post "john doe"you need your head checked x and y are stupid and z is completely ********

Now if someone reports my post but not yours the mods might hand me some discipline but not you. it's not because they wouldn't it's because the really didn't read through the thread. They looked at just the offending post and determined if it merits an infraction. This is why you can appeal the action, then I believe they look at the thread as a whole, in particular if you mention that you were just saying what everyone else was.

I only know 3 people who ever had an infraction and 2 of them had it lifted.

The first post in that thread is from 2007. Does responding to that original post constitute "Necro posting"?
    The last post in that thread is from today...

When the last post in a thread is from a year+ ago, then I consider that a necro thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Who is a protected fanboi? I sure am not... I've gotten plenty of infractions, and all of them I deserved.
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Yes and this creates a huge rift between understanding the weight of opinions of those who actually play the game versus whose voice gets to be heard on the forums, by creating a situation where the loudest voices on the forums are not representing the majority opinion in game.
    You realize you are one of the loudest voices on the forums, right?

If you received a ban for reaching an infraction threshhold, that's not the same as being banned over a specific post.
    Hey, can we ever revisit that threshold? Shouldn't there be a way to erase "permanent" points after a year or two of good behavior?

What's limit for being banned again? 10 infractions? 10 over-the-line posts out of my 15,554 posts is only 0.064%...
    Last edited by Thrudh; 04-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Community Member

Thoughts on the guidelines:

<snip>
    If you don't like the way they conduct their business you always have the right to decline them your custom.

Frankly, it's the widespread practice of that that they have the guidelines for in the first place. They don't want spammers, trolls and other miscreants driving away the rest of their customers.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Hey, can we ever revisit that threshold? Shouldn't there be a way to erase "permanent" points after a year or two of good behavior?
    No. That's why they are permanent.

If people feel that certain individuals are - not - being infracted over something that they should be, please use the reporting tools available to you to call it to our attention. We also have no problem with folks asking for clarification or explanation through PM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast