Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default /signed made bannable?

/not signed.

Um, wat?
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

You are late. It's already changed along with some other things.

https://www.ddo.com/en/community/community-guidelines
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    You are late. It's already changed along with some other things.

https://www.ddo.com/en/community/community-guidelines
    Thanks. These things change way too fast for me to keep up.

Thoughts on the guidelines:

4. Calling out other players
    Calling out other players for their actions in game, or attempting to shame them for actions you deem unacceptable, will not be tolerated. If you feel someone has acted in a way that is inappropriate or violates our terms of use, please use the ‘report this post’ option or contact a GM in game to report in-game behaviors.

So what about those neckbeards crying about "you cheated!" in the achievement threads?

6. Derailing/disruption of official discussion threads
    Official threads are created by the Community, Development, and other teams to gather feedback and create a focused discussion around a given topic. Attempting to derail these threads by posting unrelated comments or bringing other issues into the discussion is not permitted.

More "policing" for the forums? As if we needed to ramp this up?

8. Provoking, Trolling, and “baiting”
    Threads or posts that are intended to create a strong negative or emotional reaction, provoke conflict, or are made simply for ‘shock value’ are considered trolling. Debating a topic on the merits or holding a strong opinion are acceptable, however making posts to provoke conflict or incite, bait, or mock others who disagree with you are not.

Teh_Troll - you are f*****. I would go on to say that not being able to strongly disagree with stupid posts is silly.

10. Spam
    Advertisements for any good, service, or site that are not directly related to Dungeons & Dragons Online™ is not permitted and will be removed. Posts promoting sites, goods, and services deemed inappropriate will also be removed as spam. In addition, “Cross posting” without permission, “Bumping” and “Necro posting” are considered forms of spamming and are not permitted.

"Necro posting". Please define.

12. Discussion of Disciplinary or Moderations Actions
    We do not publicly discuss moderation decisions, or disciplinary actions taken against members, on the Community Sites and we ask that you do not either. Any threads or posts that mention infractions, bans, or thread/post deletions or modifications, etc. are subject to removal and may result in further disciplinary action. If you have a question about an infraction or warning, you should contact a member of the community team through private message (PM). Ban appeals should be addressed as described below.

So when Cord, or one of the other moderators delete our posts without any justification we are supposed to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?

21. Religion and Politics
    While we respect the right of all players to hold their own beliefs and political affiliations and opinions, we ask you not post comments or start threads of a political or religious nature. These types of discussions rarely end well and are well and truly beyond the scope of discussions of our game. Any threads or posts of this type will be removed.

This. If the DDO Forums are going to be policed more, it will be good to see the jesus posts wiped away.

Now I would like to request that the good people at DDO.com, who within a matter of minutes can create a "Bacon" thread for April 1st make a 18+ section on the forums that ignore all of the community guidelines with the exception of anything illegal. It is incredibly annoying to have our freedom of speech limited in any capacity including the right for us to express our opinions.

~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    It means posting on a thread opened in 2011, buried in the 347th page of the forum. There is no point in doing that becasue most of the time information is outdated and not relevant anymore.

So when Cord, or one of the other moderators delete our posts without any justification we are supposed to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain?
    Contact them personally to discuss your position. Discussing disciplinary measures by opening a public thread is bad behaviour on every forum, not just here.

Now I would like to request that the good people at DDO.com, who within a matter of minutes can create a "Bacon" thread for April 1st make a 18+ section on the forums that ignore all of the community guidelines with the exception of anything illegal. It is incredibly annoying to have our freedom of speech limited in any capacity including the right for us to express our opinions.
    It's a forum about a game, your "freedom of speech" is limited to talking about the game. You are really crying over nothing, there is nobody policing your opinions provided you express them in an appropriate manner. And why are you so mad about the bacon forum? That's a lot of vinegar over nothing.
    Last edited by Avenging_Angel; 04-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

t is incredibly annoying to have our freedom of speech limited in any capacity including the right for us to express our opinions.
    *sigh*

I suggest you learn the differences between rights, privileges, and where such can legally happen. You have shown you do not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    It's a forum about a game, your "freedom of speech" is limited to talking about the game. You are really crying over nothing, there is nobody policing your opinions provided you express them in an appropriate manner. And why are you so mad about the bacon forum? That's a lot of vinegar over nothing.
    a Lot of people miss that this here is a private forums, they can set the limits however they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    It means posting on a thread opened in 2011, buried in the 347th page of the forum. There is no point in doing that becasue most of the time information is outdated and not relevant anymore.

Contact them personally to discuss your position. Discussing disciplinary measures by opening a public thread is bad behaviour on every forum, not just here.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    *sigh*

I suggest you learn the differences between rights, privileges, and where such can legally happen. You have shown you do not understand.

Whoa there! I am not complaining about a "Bacon Thread" at all! I was using this an an analogy to say the moderators can make a thread quickly and SUGGESTING they make a "DDO Adults" thread. No one is crying about anything, I am offering up an idea that we, the players, have the chance to post in a thread that is not gone over with a fine tooth comb. It is really annoying to open up a separate browser for another DDO Forum website that is not subject to extreme filtering. It would be nice if we can post whatever we want here, on this site as long as it is not illegal.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Grimmlock (Heroic Completionist Life 15); Saulot (Life 3); Leviathian (Life 5); Flogging Molly; Mithriss; TheBoondock Saynts; Bushmils; Humblebeard; Guinnesss.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Community Member

It would be nice if we can post whatever we want here, on this site as long as it is not illegal.
    It might be nice for the ones doing the posting. It is not nice for the hundreds of readers who would have to wade through the pages of immature, pointless, off-topic garbage that would appear if free-for-all posting was permitted.

If you want a platform to exercise your freedom of speech, create a Wordpress blog or something.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 04-16-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: content

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    /not signed.
    Wait, you mean the guidelines at one time said that "/signed" was not allowed?! ROFLMAO! I think someone has a little too much time on their hands to think of new ways to "govern" the forums...

Thoughts on the guidelines:

I agree - how old is "Necro"? Also, what about the various classic Guides and Builds that people have created and might want to update?

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Nice.

However, we remain within the guidelines set up for the forums. Juuust sayin...

For what you want, WB (the ultimate overlords of our little playground) would never allow such unfiltered stuff here as what is allowed on that 'other place'.
    Cool pic bro. But I would dispute the remaining within the forum guidelines bit:

10. Spam
    Advertisements for any good, service, or site that are not directly related to Dungeons & Dragons Online™ is not permitted and will be removed. Posts promoting sites, goods, and services deemed inappropriate will also be removed as spam. In addition, “Cross posting” without permission, “Bumping” and “Necro posting” are considered forms of spamming and are not permitted.

The first post in that thread is from 2007. Does responding to that original post constitute "Necro posting"?
    ~ Archangels ~
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

The first post in that thread is from 2007. Does responding to that original post constitute "Necro posting"?

/derail.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 04-16-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

How is "bumping" considered spamming? I could see this as being the case if you found 10+ old threads related to the same topic and bumped them all at the same time. However, trying to draw attention to an old post by bumping it rather than starting a new thread seems ..... um..... eco friendly? (??) lol

And on the same note, "Nero posting". Then seriously, put in place a forum thing that auto closes inactive posts after the limit date. If it's such an issue, remove the issue.
    Last edited by Amundir; 04-16-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

*Purchasing V.I.P doesn't make you a V.I.P. Just a P.W.B (Player With Benifits)
    Turbine has a QA and UI/UX problem.

These rules are probably more to keep the really nasty stuff at bay, whether they use them for reasons they perceive to be an infraction is entirely up to them(being their private forum) and all you can hope is cooler heads and good judgement prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    These rules are probably more to keep the really nasty stuff at bay, whether they use them for reasons they perceive to be an infraction is entirely up to them(being their private forum) and all you can hope is cooler heads and good judgement prevail.

That^, as Cordo has already explained somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Lol. If you *really* think so, the report button is easily found.

Perhaps a more productive suggestion for you to pursue would be for them to add an "Ignore Thread" option to the forums.

/derail.
    I have no desire to "Ignore" any thread on the forums. That was not the purpose of my post. I was asking about creating a new thread that is not heavily moderated, controlled, filtered, and child-proofed that players can freely post or ignore as they see fit. Merely a suggestion. I am more than happy with you guys posting your virtual drinks, talking about unicorns or My Little Pony until your hearts are content.

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    How is "bumping" considered spamming? I could see this as being the case if you found 10+ old threads related to the same topic and bumped them all at the same time. However, trying to draw attention to an old post by bumping it rather than starting a new thread seems ..... um..... eco friendly? (??) lol

And on the same note, "Nero posting". Then seriously, put in place a forum thing that auto closes inactive posts after the limit date. If it's such an issue, remove the issue.
    This. This is exactly what I was asking about. There is no definition of "necro posting". I see people bump or respond to threads from September last year after the enhancement pass. Is this necro posting? There are threads that are years upon years old people still respond to or post on. Is this "Necro Posting" or "Spam"?

I really don't see the need to auto-close threads. Forums should be available for people to research issues and get results no matter how old they are. If you can add a date filter while searching then that's about all we need.
    ~ Archangels ~
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I have no desire to "Ignore" any thread on the forums. That was not the purpose of my post. ...

Okay, fair enough.

... There is no definition of "necro posting". I see people bump or respond to threads from September last year after the enhancement pass. Is this necro posting? There are threads that are years upon years old people still respond to or post on. Is this "Necro Posting" or "Spam"?....

Towards "necroing" - it's gray depending on both how current the thread information is, as well as the intent of the new post. Example: The increasing number of 1-post wonders who necro-bump a years old [last post, not OP] thread just to toss a couple pointless words onto a post = necro.

Other threads, like the "Big F'n Stick Build" thread stays fairly active and folks update the thread every time they change how Acrobat/Stick builds work = not necro.

Think of "necro" as based on time since most recent post as opposed to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post

Exactly. As with all of the Community Guidelines, they need to be applied in context to the relevant post or thread. If someone finds a dozen old threads related to a topic and bumps them all, that's the reason for the rule. Necro posting tends to be applied when a non-productive or severely outdated thread is brought back up, causing confusion to folks who don't realize the discussion is outdated or old. We're not out there policing exact post dates; it's something that is used in context.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    a Lot of people miss that this here is a private forums, they can set the limits however they like.
    I think we all understand that there needs to be restrictions on what is said on these boards. My only problem is that it is the same treatment across the board.

If I were to call you an idiot and flame a post of yours, I would be banned in a heartbeat. If a protected fanboi were to do the same to you, not only is he not in trouble, but they leave the post up.

I know that the mods may have a bad day, but it is obvious that they pick and choose who to pick on consistently, and that is the problem.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast