Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1. #1
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Best Race for An Assassin Rogue?

    So I'm looking forward to trying a couple Rogue lives, and I know for sure what I'm going to build for 2 of them, but the third one I want to try is just a pure 20 Rogue Assassin. Old school.

    And while I get the general gist of how to build it feat wise, I'm kind of stumped as to what would be the best Race option.

    Right now I'm considering:

    Halfling
    Shadar-Kai
    Drow
    Human

    I'm really comfortable with Humans, and halfling just looks like it would be fun, not to mention a lot of the pure Assassins I've seen in the past were halflings... Shadar-Kai look pretty interesting, but their racial tree seems somewhat weak with the exception of the chain stuff and the cores.(Are chains even useful endgame?) Drow get the stat bonus' at the start which is really nice(As I am leaning towards an Int/Dex build), but aside from that the racial tree again seems kind of weak.

    I'm really just looking for some advice, or just what you would go with and why.
    I'm not sure that any of these would really change anything to much one way or another, except the Shadar-Kai and human splits.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  2. #2
    Community Member Coyopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    I like Halfling because on a TR it is really easy to hit 21 dex for Improved Sneak Attack. My currently level 28 third life rogue had these stats at creation:

    12 str
    18 dex
    16 con
    16 int
    base wis
    base cha

    I put all level ups into intelligence and let my dexterity tome take me from 18 to 22 dexterity. If you want, when I get home after work today I can post my build exported from the DDO Character Planner. That'll show all the enhancements and such that I took.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Drow!

    I never seen them these days

  4. #4
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    16,492

    Default

    Sneaky Assassin in D&D = Halfling!

    Yes other races are probably better for min/maxing but it's Halfling all the way for me!

  5. #5
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    I like Halfling because on a TR it is really easy to hit 21 dex for Improved Sneak Attack. My currently level 28 third life rogue had these stats at creation:

    12 str
    18 dex
    16 con
    16 int
    base wis
    base cha

    I put all level ups into intelligence and let my dexterity tome take me from 18 to 22 dexterity. If you want, when I get home after work today I can post my build exported from the DDO Character Planner. That'll show all the enhancements and such that I took.
    That would be helpful, thanks.
    This will be my first Rogue, so while I have some general idea about what I'm doing, I'm certainly no expert.
    And a lot of things that look good on paper don't always work in play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pala-forged View Post
    Drow!

    I never seen them these days
    Heh, I have a friend who just TR'd for his fourth Pure 20 Drow Rogue Assassin.
    He's been rocking the same build for... Since DDO started. lmao

    I'm really tempted to do it simply for the aesthetic. Heh
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  6. #6
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Sneaky Assassin in D&D = Halfling!

    Yes other races are probably better for min/maxing but it's Halfling all the way for me!
    Heh I agree so much.
    Whenever I picture a sneaky Assassin I can only ever picture it as Drow or Halfling. Which is kind of why I posted this thread;
    I love to min/max, but if there isn't some huge distinct advantage to any one race I'll go with whatever I like thematically.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  7. #7
    Community Member thegreatneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    outside the box
    Posts
    738

    Default Depends on what you want

    Halfling get the highest SA better saves and dragon marks.
    Drow can get the highest assassinate DC.
    Humans can get healing amp and damage boost that can stack with haste boost for nice burst damage.
    Shadar-kai can stealth better due to shadow jaunt/phase and gloom stalker makes it so you don't have to bluff anything. (no the chain is not useful endgame)

    Personally I play a Shadar-kai as it fits my play style. I like being able to lose agro from mobs in the same room as me, even solo.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

    Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

    Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

  8. #8
    Community Member Blackheartox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Left from Underdark
    Posts
    3,132

    Default

    Depends what you want, personaly id do a halfling with marks /most selfsuficient

  9. #9
    Community Member Rusty_Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lost .....
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatneil View Post
    Humans can get healing amp and damage boost that can stack with haste boost for nice burst damage.
    and 1 extra feat.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

  10. #10
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    Depends what you want, personaly id do a halfling with marks /most selfsuficient
    I'm looking for self sufficient, high DPS, high survivability. And fun.
    I'm sure given my Twink gear I can make any race self sufficient, and survivable; DPS would come from the build itself(feats/enhancements).

    I've kind of ruled out Shadar-Kai since the only thing it really brought to the table I was really excited about is the chain, and it appears to be useless endgame. While it offers a few other neat tricks, I don't feel they carry enough weight to compete with humans(healamp, dual boosting, extra feat), Halfling(sneak attack, Saves, Heals), Drow(Assassinate DC, better stats, comeonit'sDrow).
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Heh, I have a friend who just TR'd for his fourth Pure 20 Drow Rogue Assassin.
    He's been rocking the same build for... Since DDO started. lmao

    I'm really tempted to do it simply for the aesthetic. Heh
    Copy his build. Honour the traditions! Or something.

  12. #12
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,422

    Default

    Bladeforged in my opinion is by far the best race to use for any melee because of the reconstruct SLA which will give you much better self-healing/survivability than any other race.

    You'll stay alive much better than trying to wand or scroll/wand heal yourself like a traditional rogue. You also get bonuses to PRR, slash damage and immunities to certain effects like energy drain and certain crowd control effects.

    Only downside is you'll have to pay for an LR heart, and for the race if you don't already have it.
    Last edited by axel15810; 04-16-2014 at 08:30 AM.

  13. #13
    The Hatchery CThruTheEgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...
    Posts
    3,594

    Default

    thegreatneil summed it up. Human for highest burst damage. Drow for highest assassinate DC. Halfling for highest sneak attack damage. Keep in mind, however, that there is a lot worth spending your AP on in all three rogue trees, so plan your enhancements out first and figure out how much you have to spend in the racial tree. Halfling needs to spend a lot to take advantage of their extra sneak attack. Human spends only 3 AP for one int and damage boost. Drow need to spend 6 to get both int.

    If you're interested, check out Hassan's Assassin in my sig for a full human build including enhancements, gear, etc. It's self sufficient, very survivable, has great dps, and is a lot of fun to play.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

  14. #14
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    thegreatneil summed it up. Human for highest burst damage. Drow for highest assassinate DC. Halfling for highest sneak attack damage. Keep in mind, however, that there is a lot worth spending your AP on in all three rogue trees, so plan your enhancements out first and figure out how much you have to spend in the racial tree. Halfling needs to spend a lot to take advantage of their extra sneak attack. Human spends only 3 AP for one int and damage boost. Drow need to spend 6 to get both int.

    If you're interested, check out Hassan's Assassin in my sig for a full human build including enhancements, gear, etc. It's self sufficient, very survivable, has great dps, and is a lot of fun to play.
    Thanks for the heads up on your build. I'll make good use of it.

    And I had thought that to be the case, which is why I think I'm leaning more heavily towards Human or Drow. Less AP needed for more gain it seems. Although I'm not sure that if i go with human I can resist grabbing at least tier 2 healamp.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  15. #15
    Community Member Nightmanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on your build. I'll make good use of it.

    And I had thought that to be the case, which is why I think I'm leaning more heavily towards Human or Drow. Less AP needed for more gain it seems. Although I'm not sure that if i go with human I can resist grabbing at least tier 2 healamp.
    Drow. Bonuses with Rapiers and the addition of the assassin necklace (assuming you're keeping it at cap for a while) means that dual wielding a Balizarde and a TF rapier, you'd still have a max Assassinate dc.

  16. #16
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,224

    Default

    Drow - racial bonus to:

    rapier
    shortsword
    search
    spot
    int (+2 DC for assassinate, search, spot)
    dex
    cha

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pala-forged View Post
    Drow!

    I never seen them these days

    Wouldn't that mean we're doing something right, then?

  18. #18
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Drow. Bonuses with Rapiers and the addition of the assassin necklace (assuming you're keeping it at cap for a while) means that dual wielding a Balizarde and a TF rapier, you'd still have a max Assassinate dc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Drow - racial bonus to:

    rapier
    shortsword
    search
    spot
    int (+2 DC for assassinate, search, spot)
    dex
    cha
    Seems everyone likes Drow.
    I suppose that unless I change my mind last minute(Heh), I'll probably go with Drow.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  19. #19
    Community Member Coyopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Seems everyone likes Drow.
    I suppose that unless I change my mind last minute(Heh), I'll probably go with Drow.
    I'll post my build up later. Race doesn't really play a factor in it and so it will adapt just fine to changing from halfling to drow, except that I did spend a good amount of AP in the halfling racial tree that you will now get to spend on something else.

  20. #20
    The Hatchery CThruTheEgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...
    Posts
    3,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on your build. I'll make good use of it.
    At the end of the build you will also find suggestions for converting it to a drow as well as links to halfling builds if you decide to go with either of those races.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Drow. Bonuses with Rapiers and the addition of the assassin necklace (assuming you're keeping it at cap for a while) means that dual wielding a Balizarde and a TF rapier, you'd still have a max Assassinate dc.
    I wouldn't bother with the drow weapon enhancements. Daggers will do more dps on an assassin with knife specialization. Same crit range, higher crit multiplier. For Balizarde vs Agony, they will have the same crit profile but Agony has higher base damage and more damage effects and the defensive properties on Balizarde are either not needed or are easily found elsewhere.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload