Default Help with Ranger past life as Arty

First question - if I go 10 Arty and 10 Ranger will that give me a past life as ranger since it was one of the original classes?

Second question - any way to have 10 ranger/10arty and use all my arty gear to lvl to 20? Not sure if ranger skills/abilities will work with arty xbows.

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

Community Member

Forgive my noobness but why 10/10? Evasion is only ranger 9 and artificer bonus feat is level 8. The only reason to go ranger 10 is 3rd favored enemy.

Ranger 10/Artificer 8/Fighter 2 would give all the same good stuff with the addition of Kensai weapon enhancements and 2 bonus feats.

Yes, no?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

1. Yes - see http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_life

2. The rgr ranged feats except Bow STR & Manyshot will work with repeaters. So rgr 10 / arty 10 all you're missing is PBS, Precision, IC:Ranged, IPS, Combat Archery; rgr 11 / arty 9 gets you IPS (and GTWF) free. The AA imbues don't work with bolts, but the special atks like Inferno Shot and Slaying Arrow will. Any ranged DPS bonuses from DWS (like sneak atks & increased PBS range) should apply to repeaters; Heavy Draw is the only one which doesn't work with xbows, AFAIK.

When using ranged special atks, make sure your repeater is loaded before firing; otherwise you waste the atk on the reload animation.

EDIT: arty 9 gets him lvl 4 spells (Armor of Speed being the most useful); arty 10 gets 2nd lvl 4 spell slot.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 04-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    First question - if I go 10 Arty and 10 Ranger will that give me a past life as ranger since it was one of the original classes?
    Yes, that's correct.

Second question - any way to have 10 ranger/10arty and use all my arty gear to lvl to 20? Not sure if ranger skills/abilities will work with arty xbows.
    The free feats will mostly be useful. Some of the enhancements will be useful, but some will not. Avoid AA imbues in particular.

A better class split might be 8 ranger / 6 artificer / 6 rogue. 10 arti levels is going to lead to pretty weak spell and runearm DPS anyway, so might as well focus more on the repeater, taking rogue mechanic enhancements to supplement the arti battle engineer and ranger deepwood stalker/arcane archer lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Honestly if it's for a ranger heroic past life i would just go with a ranger trapping build, get yourself the best bow you can get easily and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Honestly if it's for a ranger heroic past life i would just go with a ranger trapping build, get yourself the best bow you can get easily and run with it.
    Maybe he's doing theme tring? I was totally going to do that once! But then I was like 'wow...too much time involved.'