Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Need a Druid build

    I'm going to make a Druid for running raids and loot farming with guildies. Ideally it needs to be a first lifer with excellent CC, caster preferred over melee, and possibly trap skills. Any enterprising mad scientist want to take a stab?

    Astreya the Unturning

    It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

  2. #2
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    I'm going to make a Druid for running raids and loot farming with guildies. Ideally it needs to be a first lifer with excellent CC, caster preferred over melee, and possibly trap skills. Any enterprising mad scientist want to take a stab?
    Don't mess with trapping the synergy is not there if you want trapping on a caster build a 18/2 wiz/rog.

    Go either 20 Druid or 18/2 Druid/Monk (stay centered so you can use water stance for the +2 wisdom).

    I would do human with 18 Wis, 14-16 Con, 10 Int, the rest to your liking the other good race choice is Helf

    Caster Druid is pretty simple to build take 2-3 Metamagic feats (e.g. Max, Empower, Quicken) take all the DC feat ( e.g. Spell focus (Evocation) + Wiz Past Life its worth running a pl for), then fit in either defensive feat like Dodge, Toughness, Epic Toughness, etc. , or Spell Point Feat (e.g. Mental Toughness).

  3. #3
    Community Member Cardtrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Have you looked at Markeyx's build thread?

    Looks like a solid pure druid caster to me. On a first lifer especially, to get workable DCs you're going to have to commit all out to it -- I can't see splashing for trap skills being a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

  4. #4
    Community Member susiedupfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    899

    Default

    ^What Cardtrick and Grailhawk said.

    Pure human caster druid with the Markeyx basic build. If you are going pure caster, you're going to need all the SP you can get, so think hard about those mental toughness feats.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

  5. #5
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    This isn't quite so much a casting build, so much as a casting focused Hybrid build. I run a slightly optimised version with multiple pastlives, but I've run with a few players who have first life versions of the same split.

    It's a very earthquake based build, but it's performance is great, even in epic elites.

    17druid/2monk/1wizard. (assuming you'll get a +2 dex tome)

    Starting Stats, 32points

    15 str
    15 dex
    13 con
    8 int
    17 wis (+ All level ups)
    8 cha

    1 druid Maximise, (H) Power Attack
    2 druid
    3 monk Mental Toughness, (M) TWF
    4 druid
    5 druid
    6 druid Quicken
    7 druid
    8 druid
    9 wizard Empower Healing (W) Spell focus : Evocation
    10 druid
    11 druid
    12 druid I Twf
    13 druid
    14 druid
    15 druid Improved Crit Bludgeoning
    16 druid
    17 druid
    18 druid G TWF
    19 druid
    20 monk (M) Stunning fist
    21 epic Great spell Focus Evocation
    24 epic Epic Spell focus Evocation
    26 Perfect TWF
    27 Improved Mental Toughness
    28 ED

  6. #6
    2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    This isn't quite so much a casting build, so much as a casting focused Hybrid build. I run a slightly optimised version with multiple pastlives, but I've run with a few players who have first life versions of the same split.

    It's a very earthquake based build, but it's performance is great, even in epic elites.

    17druid/2monk/1wizard. (assuming you'll get a +2 dex tome)

    Starting Stats, 32points

    15 str
    15 dex
    13 con
    8 int
    17 wis (+ All level ups)
    8 cha

    1 druid Maximise, (H) Power Attack
    2 druid
    3 monk Mental Toughness, (M) TWF
    4 druid
    5 druid
    6 druid Quicken
    7 druid
    8 druid
    9 wizard Empower Healing (W) Spell focus : Evocation
    10 druid
    11 druid
    12 druid I Twf
    13 druid
    14 druid
    15 druid Improved Crit Bludgeoning
    16 druid
    17 druid
    18 druid G TWF
    19 druid
    20 monk (M) Stunning fist
    21 epic Great spell Focus Evocation
    24 epic Epic Spell focus Evocation
    26 Perfect TWF
    27 Improved Mental Toughness
    28 ED
    I like it. Hmm...

    Astreya the Unturning

    It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

  7. #7
    The Hatchery serthcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    I'm going to make a Druid for running raids and loot farming with guildies. Ideally it needs to be a first lifer with excellent CC, caster preferred over melee, and possibly trap skills. Any enterprising mad scientist want to take a stab?
    i would go pure (Markeyx's is a good one!) or with 2/4 levels favored soul splash. This way you boost your fire and light spellpower/crit by a lot (plus you get +2 wis back if you splash 4 levels), just reward, scourge, etc. Then use exalted angel ED and get a couple of the light SLA. Your evocation dc will be higher on exalted so there's a good sinergy there.
    15 Dru / 4 fvs / 1 sorc or wiz or monk
    or
    17 Dru / 2 fvs / 1 sorc or wiz or monk

    Also i wouldnt bother for 2 monk splash if its just for evasion, it wont get good reflex saves unless you sacrifice other things (twists specially) for it. If you just want the stances 1 monk level is enough.
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

  8. #8
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by serthcore View Post
    Also i wouldnt bother for 2 monk splash if its just for evasion, it wont get good reflex saves
    on Druids, most of the 2monk/1wiz split are taken for the feats. It's not about evasion.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    This isn't quite so much a casting build, so much as a casting focused Hybrid build. I run a slightly optimised version with multiple pastlives, but I've run with a few players who have first life versions of the same split.

    It's a very earthquake based build, but it's performance is great, even in epic elites.

    17druid/2monk/1wizard. (assuming you'll get a +2 dex tome)

    Starting Stats, 32points

    15 str
    15 dex
    13 con
    8 int
    17 wis (+ All level ups)
    8 cha

    1 druid Maximise, (H) Power Attack
    2 druid
    3 monk Mental Toughness, (M) TWF
    4 druid
    5 druid
    6 druid Quicken
    7 druid
    8 druid
    9 wizard Empower Healing (W) Spell focus : Evocation
    10 druid
    11 druid
    12 druid I Twf
    13 druid
    14 druid
    15 druid Improved Crit Bludgeoning
    16 druid
    17 druid
    18 druid G TWF
    19 druid
    20 monk (M) Stunning fist
    21 epic Great spell Focus Evocation
    24 epic Epic Spell focus Evocation
    26 Perfect TWF
    27 Improved Mental Toughness
    28 ED
    Looks good, I think I will try that (with 36 pts build, +5 tomes and lots of past lives).

    I assume you are mostly meleeing in Wolf form (blitzer) with Earthquake for CC and regen for self-healing - would that be correct? Or do you use Shiradi with AoE spells fishing for procs inside the Earthquake? If you mostly melee - what is Maximize for? Also, what weapondry do you recommend for epic levels?

  10. #10
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Looks good, I think I will try that (with 36 pts build, +5 tomes and lots of past lives).

    I assume you are mostly meleeing in Wolf form (blitzer) with Earthquake for CC and regen for self-healing - would that be correct? Or do you use Shiradi with AoE spells fishing for procs inside the Earthquake? If you mostly melee - what is Maximize for? Also, what weapondry do you recommend for epic levels?
    You quoted me saying it's a casting focused hybrid, I've got the melee feats because I didn't have to give up much in the way of DC's to acquire them.

    To answer your question though, it depends on the content. In the toughest content I'll predominantly run in Water elemental form, all the reflex debuffs are well worth having.
    I'm running in EA alot these days, soundburst and +3 DC's speeds things up alot in parties.

    If I'm soloing I'll blitz, or if I'm running something easy I generally switch to draconic.

    As for weapons, I mostly use handwraps, though I do carry some shortswords for when I switch to wolf form.

  11. #11
    Community Member Grailhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    This isn't quite so much a casting build, so much as a casting focused Hybrid build. I run a slightly optimised version with multiple pastlives, but I've run with a few players who have first life versions of the same split.

    It's a very earthquake based build, but it's performance is great, even in epic elites.

    17druid/2monk/1wizard. (assuming you'll get a +2 dex tome)

    Starting Stats, 32points

    15 str
    15 dex
    13 con
    8 int
    17 wis (+ All level ups)
    8 cha

    1 druid Maximise, (H) Power Attack
    2 druid
    3 monk Mental Toughness, (M) TWF
    4 druid
    5 druid
    6 druid Quicken
    7 druid
    8 druid
    9 wizard Empower Healing (W) Spell focus : Evocation
    10 druid
    11 druid
    12 druid I Twf
    13 druid
    14 druid
    15 druid Improved Crit Bludgeoning
    16 druid
    17 druid
    18 druid G TWF
    19 druid
    20 monk (M) Stunning fist
    21 epic Great spell Focus Evocation
    24 epic Epic Spell focus Evocation
    26 Perfect TWF
    27 Improved Mental Toughness
    28 ED
    Other then the feat what are you getting from Wizard these days?

    I'm of the opinion that Fighter works better for a hybrid so you can pick up +3 Action Boost and Haste Boost.

  12. #12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Other then the feat what are you getting from Wizard these days?
    Magic Missile SLA (for Shiradi), +1% crits, +10 Spellpower (Traditionalist Caster), possibly EK enhs too (Imp Mage Armor is nice if you're actually trying to build for AC).
    I'm of the opinion that Fighter works better for a hybrid so you can pick up +3 Action Boost and Haste Boost.
    That's fine too if you want to focus more on the melee than caster side of things. Or, if you can't get your Reflex saves high enough to make Evasion useful, you could do druid 18 / ftr 1 / wiz 1 and gain Storm of Vengeance SLA; though you also lose S.Fist.

  13. #13
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Other then the feat what are you getting from Wizard these days?

    I'm of the opinion that Fighter works better for a hybrid so you can pick up +3 Action Boost and Haste Boost.
    That's all about preference, whether you'd prefer to lean slightly more towards melee, or slightly more towards casting.

    After investing in the druid and monk trees, I only have 3ap to spend on my 3rd class, ultimately for me, it came down to 1wiz offering protection from evil and 1sp invis

    Fighter would be just as good if someone preferred to go that route.

  14. #14
    2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    I'm definitely planning to run this guy as a CC/support character; I have no interest in running a melee Druid. Running in EA for the Evo bonus to earthquake DC is a nice call.

    Astreya the Unturning

    It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload