Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default alignment pros/cons

I've been playing for a while now, and I've pretty much always gone true neutral or lawful good. What advantages are there to choosing the other end of the spectrum? Say chaotic evil, lawful evil etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    I've been playing for a while now, and I've pretty much always gone true neutral or lawful good. What advantages are there to choosing the other end of the spectrum? Say chaotic evil, lawful evil etc.
    Let's start saying that you obviously can't choose evil alignment... XD
    The only thing affected by alignment choice actually is class choice... if you go monk, you can't choose barbarian or bard...
    All the rest (alignment restrictions for weapons, for example) can be bypassed with a good UMD score

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sisma View Post
    The only thing affected by alignment choice actually is class choice... if you go monk, you can't choose barbarian or bard...
    All the rest (alignment restrictions for weapons, for example) can be bypassed with a good UMD score
    Damage taken can also be affected, though it's rare. There are also a few ED abilities that give extra damage or DR breaking based on alignment that true neutrals and, in at least one case I can think of, non-good characters can't take advantage of.

I think the Rez ring has restrictions that can't be passed or at least it did

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Well, can't be evil. But, True Neutral can use Superior Stability items, giving them access to +6 protection and resistance in a single item in middle heroic levels if a crafter is involved. And Lawful Good can suffer if trying to tank Lailat.

Founder

All my characters are True Neutral unless required by class. I could see making other melees "good" so they can use certain weapons. Sisma mentioned UMD but IDK if getting a reasonable UMD on a first-life melee (with no sugar-daddy: talking about "normal" players) is worth it.

Community Member

There's the puzzle in Prison of the Planes too that you have to be Lawful to pass...

But yeah, generally there's nothing that's completely alignment-gated where there isn't some alternative if you're the wrong alignment. And nothing I can think of you cant simply circumvent or outgrow. Its at most a convenience, but usually just a flavor thing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    All my characters are True Neutral unless required by class. I could see making other melees "good" so they can use certain weapons. Sisma mentioned UMD but IDK if getting a reasonable UMD on a first-life melee (with no sugar-daddy: talking about "normal" players) is worth it.
    Splashing rogue for Evasion helps with that too.

I actually DO have a first life melee, my senior toon on that server too, that had 20 UMD at level 12. Specifically, a paladin with rogue splash, who can now use True Chaos weapons. Paladins are melee, right?

The "Tempest Trapmonkey" build gets approximately full UMD too and is one of the recommended builds for newbies. Some luck with +Cha items and there you go. It's not really just "melee" though, what with all the free ranger bow feats it gets...

Do mostly-melee mostly-bards count as melee? Way back when, tihocan's warchanter got recommended for newbies by some.
    Last edited by mna; 04-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Splashing rogue for Evasion helps with that too.

I actually DO have a first life melee, my senior toon on that server too, that had 20 UMD at level 12. Specifically, a paladin with rogue splash, who can now use True Chaos weapons. Paladins are melee, right?

Do mostly-melee bards count as melee?
    Yeah!
    Chaosblade is ready for you!
    FOR CHAOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSS!

Community Member

Yeah!
    Chaosblade is ready for you!
    FOR CHAOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSS!
    Well yeah, except no khopesh proficiency, and I don't have that pack yet anyway.

Besides, you know that named weapons aren't required to carry alignment/UMD restrictions over from lootgen...? The Xoriat Forged Blade for example is anarchic but doesn't cause a TNL while wielded by a lawful character, for example.

Oh well. My True Neutral bards use True Chaos of Pure Good just fine. UMD and Cha are sort of class features for bards anyway.
    (Oh, and there's something funny going on with the alignment/UMD thing if you Cannith craft a True Chaos of Pure Good weapon, possibly depending on what order the shards are applied in? Not sure what'd be the appropriate way to test it properly...)
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quite a few enemies in Epic and upper-Heroic levels cast Chaos Hammer, which can seriously hurt any non-chaotic character. Lawful version of this spell exists, but you hardly ever run into enemy that casts it.

I mostly play Chaotic Good.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Aside from damage typing, the biggest problem with DDO is that alignment doesn't mean a whole lot. It is an incidental attribute.

Alignment

Pros
    True Neutral/Neutral Good - 1/2 damage against Chaotic/Lawful Alignments Spells no slow/daze effects - Chaos Hammer (Hurts lawful) / Order's Wrath (Hurts chaotic)
    Chaotic - Immune to Chaos Hammer
    Lawful - Immune to Orders Wrath
    Good - Able to use Of Good without UMD 20 and of Greater Good without UMD 30

Chaotic/Lawful/Good - Benefit from ED ability Blessed Blades for gaining Alignment bypass
    Good - Benefit from ED Abilities Purify Weapons and Anoint Weapons
    True Neutral - Benefit from Stability items
    True Neutral - Can cast any alignment based spell
    True Neutral - Does not take a negative level when bypassing an alignment restricted item

Cons
    Chaotic - Takes damage from Order's Wrath Subject to Daze 6 seconds - Inspiration Quarters Level 18 - 20 Quests is a common place where this spell is used
    Lawful - Takes damage from Chaos Hammer, slowed for 6d6 seconds - Commonly seen cast by Hezaru and other Chaotic Demons
    Chaotic - Takes Lawful Damage
    Lawful - Takes Chaotic Damage
    Good - Takes evil damage
    Non-Good - Cannot use Ring of the Ancestors - A Raise Dead spell clicky

All take a negative level if attempting to use a weapon apposed to their alignment

The one big current alignment issue is two of the most powerful splashes for a melee are monk and paladin, and two classes, bard and barbarian suffer the most game balance wise from not being able to splash those two classes.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    W

Besides, you know that named weapons aren't required to carry alignment/UMD restrictions over from lootgen...? The Xoriat Forged Blade for example is anarchic but doesn't cause a TNL while wielded by a lawful character, for example.
    What does TNL stand for?

I wish people would not use abbreviations.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Alignment

Pros
    True Neutral/Neutral Good - 1/2 damage against Chaotic/Lawful Alignments Spells no slow/daze effects - Chaos Hammer (Hurts lawful) / Order's Wrath (Hurts chaotic)
    Chaotic - Immune to Chaos Hammer
    Lawful - Immune to Orders Wrath
    Good - Able to use Of Good without UMD 20 and of Greater Good without UMD 30

Chaotic/Lawful/Good - Benefit from ED ability Blessed Blades for gaining Alignment bypass
    Good - Benefit from ED Abilities Purify Weapons and Anoint Weapons
    True Neutral - Benefit from Stability items
    True Neutral - Can cast any alignment based spell
    True Neutral - Does not take a negative level when bypassing an alignment restricted item

Cons
    Chaotic - Takes damage from Order's Wrath Subject to Daze 6 seconds - Inspiration Quarters Level 18 - 20 Quests is a common place where this spell is used
    Lawful - Takes damage from Chaos Hammer, slowed for 6d6 seconds - Commonly seen cast by Hezaru and other Chaotic Demons
    Chaotic - Takes Lawful Damage
    Lawful - Takes Chaotic Damage
    Good - Takes evil damage
    Non-Good - Cannot use Ring of the Ancestors - A Raise Dead spell clicky

All take a negative level if attempting to use a weapon apposed to their alignment
    Also the unholy blight spell damages and sickens good aligned players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    What does TNL stand for?

Using context I believe they are referring to Take Negative Level

I'm ok with abbreviations as long as they are common and standard, otherwise they lead to misunderstanding in communication

Community Member

I always go Lawful Good, regardless of class. It leaves the option open to get some Monk and/or Paladin in there if I ever decide to LR or mix things up a little. I really don't need some other alignment that leaves the option open for Barbarian and/or Bard...blech!

Quote Originally Posted by bolo_grubb View Post
    what does tnl stand for?

fwiw, ok.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Alignment

Pros

Cons
    ... normally. Some named items are the exception, such as the one I mentioned already.

Oh, and isn't there an Epic Destiny ability or two that lets you deal alignment-based damage or DR-breaking or some such, too? And if you're True Neutral, it doesn't do anything...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    What does TNL stand for?

I sort of expected Temporary Negative Level to be fairly clear from the context in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast