Default Please add more lootgen returning shuriken!!!

As the title says.

I have never pulled a returning shuriken except those that are end reward (Snowstar, Shadowstar).

Please!!!
    -= Proud member of the MAC guild on Khyber =-
    Aganthor (Completionist (4/13), Human Paladin, L7)
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I would also like to see more lootgen shuriken (and other throwing weapons).

If you're looking for Epic level sort-of-lootgen, I'd also recommend checking out the challenge weapons in eveningstar. You can pick up some "named" random shuriken there. They act like named weapons even though they're effectively lootgen.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Eveningstar_Challenge_Pack

I *strongly* advise that you do not buy the challenge pack since it's hideously overpriced for what you get, but you can pick up a challenge token each day to run those challenges and pick up that loot without buying the pack.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I would also like to see more lootgen shuriken (and other throwing weapons).

If you're looking for Epic level sort-of-lootgen, I'd also recommend checking out the challenge weapons in eveningstar. You can pick up some "named" random shuriken there. They act like named weapons even though they're effectively lootgen.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Eveningstar_Challenge_Pack

I *strongly* advise that you do not buy the challenge pack since it's hideously overpriced for what you get, but you can pick up a challenge token each day to run those challenges and pick up that loot without buying the pack.
    I know about them. But they do not cover all the possible affixes and suffixes. And the fact that they are only lvl 16 and up, you are left out for 15 levels!
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aganthor View Post
    I know about them. But they do not cover all the possible affixes and suffixes. And the fact that they are only lvl 16 and up, you are left out for 15 levels!
    The two named shuriken you can find before level 15 aren't poor. The Shadow Star is a nasty Keen star you can find from the Shan-to-Kor chain, and the icy-bursting Snowstar from the end-reward of the Cult of the Six chain. Both have higher damage than loot-generated stars and do me well until I can use Eveningstars or get the third named star, The Morning Star, from Wheloon.

We're just not going to get the diversity of stars as we might see from other named weapons. However, I too seem to think that the drop rate of returning stars is lower.

It's not impossible to find some metal-typed ones on the AH to craft for special needs (Harry Beaters, construct-beaters), thankfully, but if they ask more than 45,000pp for them, let them sit until the price drops.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

As the title says.

I have never pulled a returning shuriken except those that are end reward (Snowstar, Shadowstar).

Please!!!
    I'm with you 100%. But just in case you didn't know, sadly, they come from breakables. Rarely.

Honestly though, Snowstar, 15-20/x2 by the time you have IC...that's all you need until Eveningstar ones, and then once you have those, I don't think any randomgen could compare. You'll need to work on 'em a bunch to get the material ones you need (Adamantine, Silver, etc).

So I guess, they could make 'em drop, but I don't think I'd ever use one past level 8, except for maybe some specific DR bypass if I hadn't luckily rolled up the Spelltouched one I needed.
    Last edited by rimble; 04-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    I'm with you 100%. But just in case you didn't know, sadly, they come from breakables. Rarely.

Honestly though, Snowstar, 15-20/x2 by the time you have IC...that's all you need until Eveningstar ones, and then once you have those, I don't think any randomgen could compare. You'll need to work on 'em a bunch to get the material ones you need (Adamantine, Silver, etc).

So I guess, they could make 'em drop, but I don't think I'd ever use one past level 8, except for maybe some specific DR bypass if I hadn't luckily rolled up the Spelltouched one I needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    The two named shuriken you can find before level 15 aren't poor. The Shadow Star is a nasty Keen star you can find from the Shan-to-Kor chain, and the icy-bursting Snowstar from the end-reward of the Cult of the Six chain. Both have higher damage than loot-generated stars and do me well until I can use Eveningstars or get the third named star, The Morning Star, from Wheloon.

We're just not going to get the diversity of stars as we might see from other named weapons. However, I too seem to think that the drop rate of returning stars is lower.

It's not impossible to find some metal-typed ones on the AH to craft for special needs (Harry Beaters, construct-beaters), thankfully, but if they ask more than 45,000pp for them, let them sit until the price drops.

Guess I'll have to wait and see. Level 9 now with Firewall's build. The problem I see is reaching the Sands level range and beating on skelly is quite the pain. I do have the Nat Gann staff... but...

Guess I'll have to wait and see. Level 9 now with Firewall's build. The problem I see is reaching the Sands level range and beating on skelly is quite the pain. I do have the Nat Gann staff... but...
    True, skeletons are quite resistant to a star's slashing damage. Prior to getting a highly-recommended triple-positive Green Steel star, I crafted a Holy of Undead Bane star to help. That triple-positive star is more than enough to take down any undead you encounter, even giant skeletons.

My only general challenge are constructs, but a powerful Spelltouched one seems to do the trick or a crafted star. The Snowstar is pretty decent out there in the Sands; while gnolls seem resistant to its cold effect, the star's damage profile works well.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Yes i would love to see more random loot throwing weapons too. They may not be optimal but you can at least craft specific needed enhancements on them with cannith crafting especially if they drop with a red augment slot. That is how i crafted myself a great construct beater (including the Deconstructor Augment).

What i even would find better is that if you activated class-based end rewards on a monk shuriken would appear in the end reward list (and maybe throwing daggers for rogues). That way throwing weapons would not dilute the loot tables for others but those people who are interested in getting them would have a better chance to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewall View Post
    They may not be optimal but you can at least craft specific needed enhancements on them with cannith crafting especially if they drop with a red augment slot.
    This.

Don't forget/skimp on the red slots.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

They are indeed quite rare. After helping someone craft a returning shuriken I noticed that returning metal-type stars pretty much didn't exist on the ah, so I started keeping any that I found. In the couple/few months since then I've managed to pull two: a flametouched iron one and a silver. That's not a whole lot of pulls for months of playing.

Earlier tonight I wrapped up the sorrowdusk chain, and had been planning on picking up a bta lootgen belt (which are pretty annoying to try and farm up) but I happened to examine snowstar, and wow, nice crit range! So I took that, since it's BTA.

It's rapidly getting to the time when I may want to roll up a shuricannon. I even have my elite opener dual-box alts ready to go to make it a fairly pain-free first life build.

Is there really no answer for skeletons on a shuriken build?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Since skeletons have DR/Bludgeoning and are resistant to critical hits it is hard to harm them on the lower levels. A greensteel triple positive is a great weapon even up to epic levels. You can use it from level 12 on so it is available for most of the Necropolis quests. If you want a good universal undead beater before that you have to craft some Holy silver of (lesser/greater) undead bane weapon and combine it with ethereal bracers or gloves or otherwise find a good shuriken with ghostbane on it.

How badly do throwing hammers perform on a shuriken build?

EDIT: Looking more closely at the shuricannon build, it's a strength-dumped pure monk. Would handwraps be sufficient for skeletons with a starting strength of 8 and no levelups?

Crafting seems to be the answer. But to craft something you first have to loot one I always look at the AH, but all I see are non returning types. Guess I'll need to be lucky.

Are returning shuriken only found in breakables?

How badly do throwing hammers perform on a shuriken build?

EDIT: Looking more closely at the shuricannon build, it's a strength-dumped pure monk. Would handwraps be sufficient for skeletons with a starting strength of 8 and no levelups?
    Throwing hammers perform very badly. You are not centered anymore so you loose all stances and you don't throw multiple hammers per attack and cannot use DEX for damage or damage boosts for shuriken from drow etc. so the DPS is VERY bad.

Handwraps are not a good choice either. If you really need to go melee then i would recommend the staff of Nat Gann. But even though they don't break DR/bludgeon the triple positive greensteel shuriken do really good damage to undead from level 12 on. Below that you have to craft.

@Aganthor: Returning shuriken can be found everywhere. In chests, end rewards, breakables...pretty much everywhere you can find random loot.

I use my triple-positive GS star for any undead.

It's best test so far has been Garamol, the undead giant skeleton in the Subterrane. In my first life and not quite fully trained in Shiradi, I took my Shuricannon in there and laid waste to the place. While shurikens are slashing and don't normally hurt skeletons, the power of the triple-positive's Greater Disruption and Holy effects put a hard stomp on Garamol. It seemed he fell faster than from beating him down with my Earth-tanking Shintao Monk at the same level.

It's equally great against House Szind's undead, particularly the undead necromancers and slices through zombies like warm cheese.

So constructs are the only things that require a bit more work, but if you are as lucky as Firewall, there should be a solution there, too. I'm getting by with my crafted beater.

Handwraps, since it has monk levels.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

What are the weapons of choice for delera's and necro2?
    Cannith crafted shuriken, random Ghostbane, Staff of Nat Gann or you simply accept the hit from DR and use the Shadow Star. It has the best base damage (3d3+2+DEX bonus+Xendrik Weapon Training) and the deception effect provides a bit of CC even against undead.
    Last edited by Firewall; 04-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.