Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default How to run a successful LFM

Open the levels 3 wide when its empty. Tighten it down after the first person joins. Players closer to the same level are more successful and happier. Don't be concerned with putting the quest in it. Put all the info in the description, for ex. E 4 BB lvl 5s. When someone joins you can tell them what quest you are in and it makes it less of a hassle to constantly update it when you start a new quest.

Don't be afraid to discriminate. Have standards. If a player won't communicate or cooperate dump them. It's your lfm do whatever you want. But don't be a jerk. Use your ignore list tons it's your best friend. If a player refuses to follow your instructions drop them after the quest is over. And add them to your ignore list.

Putting the quest in the lfm is a good idea especially for quests that take a while and are challenging. Letting your party know your goals, playstyle as far as zerging, optionals and breakables is important as well. Asking for certain classes can be good way of fixing a weak party, but its smarter to switch to easier quests until stronger players join your party rather than waiting around for a balanced party.

Communicate when you are starting, count out loud how many are waiting at the quest entrance to start and let everyone in the party know. This is a simple yet critical item that most people overlook.

Don't take things personally. Manage your expectations. A larger group is more chaotic and many times less fun then a smaller one. If you find one or two great players don't be afraid of closing the lfm because often less is more.

Regarding healing, trapping, just use common sense. It's not rocket science. A trapper makes a great core to a group. Have a cleric hireling if you need it.

Mics are great because you can communicate easily and you should give special preference to mic users.

Failing quests happens and your job as a leader is to encourage success, and pinpoint what went wrong. You should take responsibility for quest failing because you should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your party. If you don't know the quest put ¨need a guide" in the lfm and make sure at least one person in the party is familiar with the quest before you commit to it.

Click the option to turn off public grouping (its on the quest entry dialog). If it's set then people can auto join your group and that is bad. You will still get the pop up for a public lfm when someone in your party enters the quest first. Make sure you decline every time. Regarding the hover over quest difficulty setting, I never use it. Just put the difficulty in your description.

Follow these simple rules and you will never lack a group. Have fun and good luck.
    Last edited by capsela; 04-12-2014 at 10:12 AM.

wow
    Inagaki
    Argo
    CoP

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Not my experience.

Was doing an at-level Reaver raid the other day. LFM specified the quest on Elite and comment said "Reaver Raid, be flagged, BYOH just incase". Left it up for a good few minutes, people went afk while it was up. When everyone was back we went in with 6 of us. 4 of us who knew the raid back-to-front, 2 first-lifers who didn't know the quest and of course the first lifers didn't bring their own healing.

We kept the 2 of them up for most of the quest but when they ran to the opposite end of the room out of scroll range, and didn't come back when we asked them they eventually died.

Took longer to DPS down the giant with 4 than it would with more bodies, but we were succesful with the 4 of us and the 2 who spent some time in the sin-bin still got their Elite completion, XP and chests.

Nobody squelched the 2 guys who died. Hopefully they had some fun and learned a few things. That is all.

You can have hopes and expectations about who joins your LFM, but trying to specify rules and regulations you'll find out with a bit of experience is a waste of time. You get good pugs and bad pugs, it's just one of those things. Somebody has it in their sig I'm sure - "A pug is like a box of chocolates."

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    - click accept whenever some text in party chat pops up
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

I want to thank the OP for this very insightful and well thought out post, which so succinctly encompasses the proper way to run a successful lfm. In particular I'm thankful that he didn't forget to point out that it is completely acceptable to be selective when running level 5 quests for BB as this I'm certain will radically reduce number of wipes I usually suffer at those extremely perilous levels. His erudite explanation as to how one should have healer hire ready in case one needs it, is possibly even more key to my consistent and efficient conquering of the almost insurmountable challenge that running the lair of summoning on elite at level 7 inevitably turns out to be. Which also explains why it is essential to ascertain your would be co-adventurers have a mike as such quests demand you be able to communicate any tactical information without delay (such as how many hireling and of what class and level to bring).
    In conclusion the only thing missing in the OP's otherwise so comprehensive post is his server and character names so that we may come and learn from the pro.
    Just my 2 copper,
    Rawel

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    This
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    I'm doing exactly the same thing and it works great.

I really enjoy the following scenario:
    -> see a quest i wanna run in the LFM panel
    -> ask if it's ready to go
    -> get some answer like "when grp is full" of "as soon as we have a healer/trapper"
    -> start the same quest with IP in the FLM (usually on higher difficulty)
    -> and see the other group still not filled after we complete

Why do people put ip on their lfms?
    Its visible when you are ip, timer starts, if you have put what quest you are doing.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

mine say "1st 5, any class".

Hopefully people are smart enough to realize that means I am not waiting for their perfect group. (healer/Rogue/etc.)

If I get tired of waiting I add "IP".

Yes, I select the exact quest and the difficulty; as well as appropriate level range.
    I sometimes add "elite" comment.

I've been known to put "no whiners" right after "elite" for those quests people are scared of.

I once added "I'd prefer it if you didn't "know it"".

Seriously, the game is not that hard.
    No reason to discriminate, except from known griefers or rude people.

The game is supposed to be fun.... which IMO means enjoying being inside the quest instead of trying to end it as quickly as possible.

Which does not mean no zerging....
    There is a difference between a quick slaughter of monsters and "rushing" to get a quest over with as soon as possible.

Leave no man behind for one thing.
    Within reason.. if he goes AFK or something that is fine, just be willing to go back and help him as needed.

The goal is for everyone to have fun as a group... if one guy is being super slow the rest should go on and have fun.... but it would be very rare for me to not help someone get to an end chest etc....

If you are good enough to solo the quest, you should also be good enough to help others enjoy the quest too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Its visible when you are ip, timer starts, if you have put what quest you are doing.
    Courtesy and/or habit from back when this feature wasn't in the game.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

There is a bit of everything in the PUG community:
    * you can have group doing something else while they wait to fill, including the same quest on lower difficulty
    * i want to accept everyone, and "ip" makes it more explicit
    * I put IP before starting the quest, so ppl knows I'm up to start, even if still omw

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    This.

And don't screen anybody. Ever. That game is much more entertaining this way.

Community Member

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    IP works sometimes, and sometimes it's a **** move for a PUG. I avoid anything running longer than a minute or two, because by and large people (myself included) who throw up an IP lfm run the quest as if no one will join, and inevitably the last two people will join right at the end. That's fine and shouldn't be unexpected, but a lot of players who run their LFMs that way aren't the type to say "we're about to finish" (or at all) before you step in. Then you've got some poor chump hit with an 80% penalty, minimal loot, and the first time bonus shot.

Not always, and I'm not 100% sure if it's a setting or just a bug. That, and the IP thing could mean 4 guys standing inside the quest or 4 guys at the last fight- the comments IP leans toward the latter.

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - put IP in text
    - start the quest
    When did you start pugging?
    Boldor of Renowned

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
    When did you start pugging?
    I don't always pug, but when I do...

...and I'm on Ghallanda now.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    This.

And don't screen anybody. Ever. That game is much more entertaining this way.
    Can confirm; I accept even Hero Inc.

To be fair, if a pug fails, it's normally my fault. Odds are I can solo that quest - if we wipe, then I must've stuffed up somewhere.

"Any quest, slayers till full group."

Community Member

How I run my LFMs:
    - select Quest
    - select difficulty
    - adjust level range
    - start the quest
    I add "All Welcome" and I start, if people join, great, if not, not my loss. I am doing a quest I can already complete at level at difficulty. Majority of the time I see some familiar names, and I am starting to notice some regulars in my LFMS which is great because I usualy get a spot in theirs when they post one.
    Main toon - Galing (Sarlona)
    Heroic Completionist x1 - 11/03/2016. Epic Completionist x1 - 12/04/2016
    Current life #37 (12 Epic, 19 Heroic, 3 Iconic, 3 Racial): arti reaper build https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...k-Reaper-Build

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    "Any quest, slayers till full group."
    If you name the quest I am more likely to request to join, but lfms like that tend to sit awhile as it turns into just another slayer lfm.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    IP works sometimes, and sometimes it's a **** move for a PUG. I avoid anything running longer than a minute or two, because by and large people (myself included) who throw up an IP lfm run the quest as if no one will join, and inevitably the last two people will join right at the end. That's fine and shouldn't be unexpected, but a lot of players who run their LFMs that way aren't the type to say "we're about to finish" (or at all) before you step in. Then you've got some poor chump hit with an 80% penalty, minimal loot, and the first time bonus shot.
    If it takes no more than a couple minutes to get to the quest and if the "IP" lfm is 5 minutes or more, I won't bother trying to join. I like to start the quest with the group.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast